Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sir Kodiak posted:

You're in for a good time. It's great.

I have to rewatch S1, because the differences between the book and series are baffling me sometimes (which is my fault for watching the series at work and getting a gnarly concussion in the interim), but it’s very well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah.

I really liked it. Really well made with some spooky rear end parts. It does commit the cardinal sin of showing the monster a lot at the end, but it is interesting and creepy enough that it doesn't really ruin anything, although I think it minimized the horror to some small degree. The seams showed a little too much on the CGI a few times.

The part in the corpse church at the end gave me the heebie jeebies more than anything I can think of in a recent movie

Overall I think it's one of the must watch Netflix produced movies, along with Wheelman. Overall just a solid horror flick that was crazier than I was expecting it to be.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was making Guac today and decided to do it like the guy on queer eye recommended and it was the worst guac ive ever had lol

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Netflix has added Ocean's 11-13. Ocean's 11 is legitimately a good movie. Ocean's 12 is a really terrible movie that somehow manages to be a incredibly watchable movie just based off the charm and star power of its cast. The series completely runs out of steam with Ocean's 13 though.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah.

I really liked it. Really well made with some spooky rear end parts. It does commit the cardinal sin of showing the monster a lot at the end, but it is interesting and creepy enough that it doesn't really ruin anything, although I think it minimized the horror to some small degree. The seams showed a little too much on the CGI a few times.

The part in the corpse church at the end gave me the heebie jeebies more than anything I can think of in a recent movie

Overall I think it's one of the must watch Netflix produced movies, along with Wheelman. Overall just a solid horror flick that was crazier than I was expecting it to be.

Just watched this too. As the movie went on wife and I kept yelling at the TV to please not show the monster too much, which I agree they kinda did at the end, but is was pretty well designed so it definitely made it not so bad. Solid horror movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thirded, The Ritual was way better than its tired premise should have allowed for.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hulu lost about a Billion dollars last year.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Just watched this too. As the movie went on wife and I kept yelling at the TV to please not show the monster too much, which I agree they kinda did at the end, but is was pretty well designed so it definitely made it not so bad. Solid horror movie.

I thought it was done well. By the time you get a good look at the monster the cat is out of the bag at that point.

But yeah great flick I enjoyed it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

I was making Guac today and decided to do it like the guy on queer eye recommended and it was the worst guac ive ever had lol

Oh yeah, that was a very boring guac. But you have to remember, he was demonstrating it for a very basic straight retired white guy who has probably never cooked a day in his life. I highly doubt my dream baby Antoni would ever make it that way himself.

When I make guac, I like to take an onion and char it under the broiler, and chop that up. That gives it a smokey flavor. I also like to chop up some thai chili pepper to give it some heat. Then salt, pepper, lime juice.

The whole point of the new series isn't to turn these straight guys into megastuds who are perfect at everything, they take them as individuals, and help them improve themselves within their own abilities.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
The new Queer Eye is great and I'm bummed it's only 8 episodes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

pizza valentine posted:

The new Queer Eye is great and I'm bummed it's only 8 episodes.

I sorta binged it, and I feel the same. The man who came out to his step-mom had me all choked up

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I absolutely loved The Ritual. Definitely my favorite horror movie in a little while, though I was pretty high so that might color my review.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm sure most people who care have already seen Raw, but I finally just did and it's fantastic

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Creep 2 is great. I loved it and the ending. The mythology they packed in just two movies own.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

Oh yeah, that was a very boring guac. But you have to remember, he was demonstrating it for a very basic straight retired white guy who has probably never cooked a day in his life. I highly doubt my dream baby Antoni would ever make it that way himself.

Yeah but he'd have done him a bigger favor by just telling him to mash some pico into it or something. The greek Yogurt is loving horrid in there. Tastes like a cosmetic product.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The Cloverfield cinematic universe is almost out of energy. 6 people alone are trying to bring back the energy. They all wish they were part of a different universe. They begrudgingly return to cloverfield and hack together something real kludgey. Then they immediately abandon ship.

The Paradox is they're filming a 4th movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

The Cloverfield cinematic universe is almost out of energy. 6 people alone are trying to bring back the energy. They all wish they were part of a different universe. They begrudgingly return to cloverfield and hack together something real kludgey. Then they immediately abandon ship.

The Paradox is they're filming a 4th movie.

I think the 4th movie is actually in post now.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Is this why they started to have about 10 minutes of ads on shows that are meant to take about a half hour on tv? I gave up re-watching Key and Peele because it got freaking ridiculous with the ads.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alterian posted:

Is this why they started to have about 10 minutes of ads on shows that are meant to take about a half hour on tv?

It's almost certainly a huge part of it. Hulu did a massive content spend last year (basically picking up almost every TV show that leaves Netflix, they signed a huge deal with Fox, there were some smaller deals with CBS and some European / British companies, and they've also spent big on older catalog shows like Seinfeld and now ER), and their subscriber growth is still relatively slow--year over year they're only getting about 4 million new ones--so, yeah, money's got to come from somewhere.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hulu is trash and I hope it dies, but it will probably go on forever because the studios are happy to subsidize a loss that kills competition, right?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Disney now controls a substantial amount of Hulu after their fox deal, right? It may end up being resurrected as the Disney Streaming Service they’ve been talking about for the past few quarters.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Disney now controls a substantial amount of Hulu after their fox deal, right? It may end up being resurrected as the Disney Streaming Service they’ve been talking about for the past few quarters.

Nah. It will be a separate service.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

When / if the Fox deal closes, which won't be until sometime in 2019 at the soonest, Disney will have a 60 percent controlling share of Hulu. Disney's SVOD service will be a separate offering, though (they've already said it won't have anything R-rated from their catalog and will be focused towards more family fare).

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Well then, I stand corrected! Thank you both for the education - I wasn’t aware of their R restriction (though of course it makes sense I suppose!).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That actually brings up soomething I've been curious about. I always keep subtitles on, in case I miss some audio or something. People coming by generally seem to ask for them off.

Who else keeps captions on by default?

Sir Kodiak posted:

I went through that myself a decade ago, and with my dad a couple years ago, and we both found a center channel speaker made a huge difference in hearing dialog.

I have tinnitus so I always keep captions on, but aside from that I've noticed a general trend of dialogue being mixed less clearly over the last 20 years or so and I'm pretty sure this is exactly why. Most film audio is surround sound by default now and if you only have basic 2-channel stereo it can get drowned out.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Well, I ended up watching the entirety of American Vandal in one sitting. It was pretty good! I'm not really a fan of true crime stuff, outside of the occasional Forensic Files, but I still enjoyed it a lot. It was pretty funny the whole way through, but the last episode was legitimately kind of depressing. The characters were good too, they weren't just stereotypical high school teens and there were a lot of nice details about them. Dylan's a dumbass and all, but I didn't think he was that bad of a kid. And Mr. Kraz... there was definitely a Mr. Kraz in my high school.

I guess they're making a second season, but with all new characters except the student filmmakers? I think that's a better idea than continuing with this story.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honest question. I know this thread has a lot of Hulu hate, and I wouldn't pay for it myself, but I use a buddies account and it's pretty nice to have around. I can see how it would be the best service for certain people, and they do have a ton of poo poo on there. Why do people hate it so much?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Honest question. I know this thread has a lot of Hulu hate, and I wouldn't pay for it myself, but I use a buddies account and it's pretty nice to have around. I can see how it would be the best service for certain people, and they do have a ton of poo poo on there. Why do people hate it so much?

They really shat up the interface for no reason a few months ago, and it wasn’t the first time they did that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah, the interface is horrid. The content seems worth the buy in price though. Whoever designed the current UI, or every iteration of it for the last 3 years on PS4 should be fired.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I wasn't really bothered by the extent to which they show the monster because by the time that happens, the tone of the story has already shifted from just straight-up horror to being about the protagonist facing his fears and trying to be strong for his doomed friend. So a good monster design combined with it only needing to be ugly and hateful, as opposed to the earlier parts of the film where tapping into the fear of the unknown was the main point, worked pretty well for me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

veni veni veni posted:

Terrible interface, as mentioned, and having to sit through ads--and, in Hulu's case, the same three or four ads in every commercial break--on a service I already pay for is beyond aggravating.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I was absolutely done with Hulu when I found out they still play ads when you subscribe. gently caress you Hulu.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, I was absolutely done with Hulu when I found out they still play ads when you subscribe. gently caress you Hulu.

The ads might even be tolerable if they ran more than 3 different ones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Probably not gonna change anyones mind but no ads is like a dollar extra a month. I've never watched an ad on Hulu. I don't know why anyone would pay money to sub to it it and not just pay a little extra to make it not terrible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

They have some of the most aggressive anti-adblock tech on the internet, too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I don't see any ads on Hulu? Also it's seemingly the only way to watch American Dad now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hate it because it was the studios’ response when PROTECT IP failed. I will always hate them in my heart for it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A MIRACLE posted:

I don't see any ads on Hulu? Also it's seemingly the only way to watch American Dad now.

Yeah, pretty much every Fox animated show not named The Simpsons or King of the Hill is exclusive to Hulu, now.

As for ads, if you pay $11.99 / month, you don't see ads (with a few exceptions), while the standard tier with commercials is $7.99.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Precisely this. I hate ads. I don't ever want to see them, and I will not pay for your content if you want to show me ads. End of story.

e: Okay not end of story, because I just want to point out that Hulu breaks the number one digital distribution rule: make it a better experience than pirating the same thing. I don't pirate anymore, but if I want to watch it, I'll either purchase on Google Play or Blu. If it isn't offered on either, I won't watch it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I dropped Hulu when they got rid of the Criterion movies