Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Watching the 'Riker wakes up in hospital after being injured just prior to first contact' episode, and I'm amazed that nobody ever thinks to brief field agents with a cover story beyond 'my name is Mr. Snrub and I'm from someplace far away'.

[e] Picard makes first diplomatic contact, then immediately takes them down the pub. There's other places on the ship with windows, but :guinness:

spincube fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

spincube posted:

Watching the 'Riker wakes up in hospital after being injured just prior to first contact' episode, and I'm amazed that nobody ever thinks to brief field agents with a cover story beyond 'my name is Mr. Snrub and I'm from someplace far away'.

[e] Picard makes first diplomatic contact, then immediately takes them down the pub. There's other places on the ship with windows, but :guinness:

Is that the "ho ho ho, pressuring a prisoner into sex in exchange for helping them escape is totally ok and actually funny" episode?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Tsaedje posted:

Is that the "ho ho ho, pressuring a prisoner into sex in exchange for helping them escape is totally ok and actually funny" episode?

Yes, although for some reason I always mix it up with the 'Commander, tell me about your sexual organs' episode.

I love how they have to go through first contact on fast-forward: Picard cracks open the bottle of Chateau Picard he was given at the start of the fourth season which, although it's a great diplomatic and personal gesture, seems kind of risky to be feeding to an alien who that morning hadn't ever seen an extra-terrestrial.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

spincube posted:

Yes, although for some reason I always mix it up with the 'Commander, tell me about your sexual organs' episode.

I love how they have to go through first contact on fast-forward: Picard cracks open the bottle of Chateau Picard he was given at the start of the fourth season which, although it's a great diplomatic and personal gesture, seems kind of risky to be feeding to an alien who that morning hadn't ever seen an extra-terrestrial.

At first I read that as "fist contact on fast forward" and now I think that would've been a better episode.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I always wanted to fist-bump an alien.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tsaedje posted:

With Lilith no less, if I remember correctly.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also it was totally OK and funny because there was a 100 percent chance Riker was thinking about that avenue of escape anyhow

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

spincube posted:

They had been studying the planet for a while already, so they probably knew what were good drugs/bad drugs for their physiology.

Cabernet: indulge
Ginger: avoid

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Tsaedje posted:

You are entirely correct that there are all kinds of problems with it as presented, but it will never not be hilarious that there's an episode where Riker literally fucks his way out of a bad situation. I'm all for pointing out how gross Star Trek can be with these kinds of issues, but in this case it's really not that bad.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

It's basically a running thing in Star Trek that disobeying orders and regulations is totally fine if you do it for good reasons and it all turns out all right in the end.
I actually think this is somewhere where reliable telepaths could be part of a justice system, because motive would be much more transparent and could be taken into account in a much more objective way than is usual.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tsaedje posted:

It's Bebe Neuwirth. Even if it's an alien Bebe Neuwirth, you worry about the ethical ramifications after the fact.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

I actually think this is somewhere where reliable telepaths could be part of a justice system, because motive would be much more transparent and could be taken into account in a much more objective way than is usual.

It depends on whether you believe the fifth amendment is a fundamental right.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Tsaedje posted:

https://youtu.be/MZ1lc6KASWg

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I don't think Frasier would like this.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Trust me, he doesn't

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The_Doctor posted:

Why do you think she left him?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, he gets around.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
There's a lot to diss about Vic Fontaine and the cheesy bar set but my favorite is the distinctly 90's illuminated exit signs hanging over the doors like they're simulating a silly Vegas throwback bar instead of an actual 60's period bar

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Space Hamlet posted:

There's a lot to diss about Vic Fontaine and the cheesy bar set but my favorite is the distinctly 90's illuminated exit signs hanging over the doors like they're simulating a silly Vegas throwback bar instead of an actual 60's period bar

I love Vic but the bar set is garbage ugly

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah all the Trek bar/lounge sets have a certain sanitized blandness to them. Ten Forward is an airport business lounge, the holodeck bar from Voyager is a chintzy tourist trap pretending to be gritty, and Vic's feels like one of those yuppie throwback bars where tedious people go to sit and sip overpriced whiskey, and all the decor is a dumb mishmash of prohibition gangster and Rat Pack Vegas poo poo, but sometimes they have good music​

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, even if it were completely period accurate, it looks terrible and so shouldn't be on the screen for any length of time. The colors and dumb curtain and name sign are butt ugly.

They make a point of Vic's being history as-it-should-have-been re: race relations, so why not asthetics?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

The Bloop posted:

They make a point of Vic's being history as-it-should-have-been re: race relations, so why not asthetics?

A limited budget, I imagine. Curtains, especially LOTS of curtains are a lifesaver when trying to build a cheap set.

Also Vic Fontaine is such a wonderful and wholesome character that I'll easily forgive any other aspect related to him

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Space Hamlet posted:

This used to bother me too, until I found out that they had signs that looked like that back then.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bohemian Nights posted:

A limited budget, I imagine. Curtains, especially LOTS of curtains are a lifesaver when trying to build a cheap set.

Also Vic Fontaine is such a wonderful and wholesome character that I'll easily forgive any other aspect related to him

I get it, but it would even have been better to have period tables and patrons with big windows into space behind him or something.

I agree with your second point and can forgive it, I just wish I didn't have to.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The_Doctor posted:

Well, he gets around.

What the gently caress is this from its driving me crazy like I've slidered into another universe where TNG had different uniforms.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Baronjutter posted:

What the gently caress is this from its driving me crazy like I've slidered into another universe where TNG had different uniforms.

It's an episode of Cybill.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

An episode of Cybill? Or a prequel to The Orvillle?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Astroman posted:

Trust me, he doesn't

I know I've said this before, but I would still pay good money to see Kelsey Grammer doing Down Periscope, In Space

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cojawfee posted:

It's an episode of Cybill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwlX3gbgs_g
What the gently caress

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Astroman posted:

Trust me, he doesn't

The Bozeman crew were lucky they got stuck in time before the uniform code took away their turtlenecks.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I'd like to think Frakes did this for a laugh and not that he needed the money.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

spincube posted:

When I saw that episode I was extremely frustrated with the alien race because they seemed almost Vulcan in how bad they were with managing strong emotions. Either "I love space so much!" Or "oh poo poo Martian invaders despite no actual evidence of aggression, gently caress everything!" Like I would imagine them not being any better off a few years down the line but would instead blindly attack the Enterprise with lasers first thing they do when they spot a vessel while the Federation crew just looked at them with confusion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'd like to think Frakes did this for a laugh and not that he needed the money.

It was just after TNG finished airing, I think. So it was almost certainly for a laugh.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Once TNG got established it seems like Frakes just does whatever the gently caress he wants. I imagine with the syndication and all he was set for life from TNG so why not.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

No Fucks Frakes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Season 8 of TNG was actually called "Gargoyles"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Once TNG got established it seems like Frakes just does whatever the gently caress he wants. I imagine with the syndication and all he was set for life from TNG so why not.

That has to be the reason behind this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ4MTSPWicE

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/fancyfembot/status/873955870425612288

qapla'

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Uh. OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm pretty sure you can't do that.