Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah the point of the paradoxes is that they're some bizarre cryptids that no one knows much about all contained in some no man's land. NPCs just having some on their team or whatever wouldn't make sense at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If SV wasn't open world, there'd probably be a plotline with Sada/Turo tasking you with looking into sightings of strange pokemon, which would probably lead to the Great Tusk/Iron Treads fight

Team Star would likely block off some towns and badges until you clear them out or defeat a nearby Titan

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I legitimately don't remember how Paradox mons integrated into the game at all but my recollection is they were exclusively tacked onto the end as a postgame story?
It could have been interesting if they put them into the game earlier as like "hey (yourname) I need someone I can trust to track down some weird pokemon who escaped from a secret place I can't tell you about yet, can you be a pal and do this on the DL so the public doesn't freak?" and then you have to track down one of each of your version's paradox mons, but maybe you have to knock them out and you still can't capture one til the postgame. So it gets you excited about them? I dunno, that sounds cool to me.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Diet Poison posted:

I legitimately don't remember how Paradox mons integrated into the game at all but my recollection is they were exclusively tacked onto the end as a postgame story?
It could have been interesting if they put them into the game earlier as like "hey (yourname) I need someone I can trust to track down some weird pokemon who escaped from a secret place I can't tell you about yet, can you be a pal and do this on the DL so the public doesn't freak?" and then you have to track down one of each of your version's paradox mons, but maybe you have to knock them out and you still can't capture one til the postgame. So it gets you excited about them? I dunno, that sounds cool to me.

They basically already did this, one of the Titan fights is a Great Tusk/Iron Treads. The rest are revealed when you enter Area Zero.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Yeah there's literally a single encounter with a single one. Not the ideal distribution of your generation's cool new gimmick.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Having Paradoxes appear more earlier would kind of ruin the reveal of Area Zero.

I'd much rather have more of the game be as cool as Area Zero, and skip some of the filler they had padding it out, instead of cordoning off the cool stuff into the postgame.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Neo_Crimson posted:

They basically already did this, one of the Titan fights is a Great Tusk/Iron Treads. The rest are revealed when you enter Area Zero.

Yeah, I remember that much. One is not the same as one of each, which is what I was talking about. I was thinking more like what they did with the Ultra Beasts, only in the middle of the story, maybe triggered when you've beaten half the gyms or something.
But, whatever. It's easy to say "this woulda been cool, that woulda been cool" and maybe if they'd done that, I would be here saying it woulda been cooler if they'd saved most of them for the very end instead.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

S/V's generational gimmick was tera, not paradox. Paradox pokemon are very clearly the equivalents of Ultra Beasts, a late/post-game set of super strong otherworldly guys.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Its really weird the donphan paradoxes are the only ones that became titans when they could have just made all the titans paradoxes instead of having a giant apron bird or whatever

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Given how the paradox mons are pretty important to Arven's whole plotline even before the endgame romp through Area Zero, I think they could've stood to have more of them involved in the hunt for the herba mystica. Maybe we even run into the species that wounded Mabosstiff in the first place and get some more lead-up to that big finale. It'd also make the otherwise pretty throwaway line about needing to stop the paradox pokemon from breaching Area Zero more impactful because it's clearly already starting to happen, rather than it just being an apparently isolated occurrence in the final game.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

So I've finished Let's Go Pikachu, getting the full dex both in-game and HOME and defeating Red. And it's been a real weird ride. Playing a Kanto game where movepools mostly don't suck (Grass types kinda get shafted what with Mega Drain and Solar Beam being the only real options, Alola Marowak having no Ghost Physical STAB sucks) felt sort of refreshing? The candy mechanic was kinda annoying, you need way too many to max out with normal candies and Species candy needs hundreds of catches before it drops reliably. Getting Dratini and Eevee candy was a pain in the rear end, and also if you do that before post-game you just crush the difficulty. Bringing a lv 33 Parasect to the E4 and not being dead weight was hilarious though.

Not gonna bother with the other 148 Masters cause jfc that's insane given the loop is catching hundreds of mons only broken by repeatedly doing the E4 to buy more balls. I guess now I should move to Shining Pearl or Legends Arceus.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

sundaymorning posted:

I have just recently started playing it too and I am very pleasantly surprised thus far. I haven't enjoyed a pokemon game since either gen5 or 6 and scarlet/violet is genuinely reigniting my faith in modern pokemon a little bit. My main problems so far, other than the technical hiccups, are mainly just that the concept of 'paradox mons' doesn't really gel with me personally, and that I'm not the biggest fan of yet another new generational battle gimmick.

Ya I hadn't played any of the newer games post Lets Go Pikachu but I absolutely loved the changes that game brought to the mainline series. It just removed so many tedious aspect of the old games, whenever I go back to older games I am annoyed at how exp share and pc/box system works.

I do wish they put something where you can have a mon in your team but not have it use exp share and increase the % for the rest of your party.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
The Let's Go games are the only ones I haven't played, should I rectify that?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

not really

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s a pity “Pseudo-Legendary” already got taken for the Dragonite’s of the series, because the term would be really useful as a way to refer to things like Ultra Beasts and Paradox’s.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

galagazombie posted:

It’s a pity “Pseudo-Legendary” already got taken for the Dragonite’s of the series, because the term would be really useful as a way to refer to things like Ultra Beasts and Paradox’s.

Internally they're considered to be in a group of their own that's equal to legendaries

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

RatHat posted:

Internally they're considered to be in a group of their own that's equal to legendaries

So similar to but not exactly Legendaries. “Pseudo-Legendaries” if you will…

Nintendo really does need to think up an official name for them though. Especially if GenX adds a third group of them.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I've seen people throw a hissy fit over Bulbapedia referring to Starter Pokemon as "First Partner Pokemon" due to the fact that more recent advertising for them in Indigo Disk and other places refer to them as such instead of Starter Pokemon. These people would do something similar if an official source decided to give Pseudo-legendaries an official term.

That being said, I have seen a shirt line somewhere called the "Powerhouse collection" where its shirts with Pseudo-Legendaries on them like Dragonite, Salamence and Goodra.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Fishylungs posted:

The Let's Go games are the only ones I haven't played, should I rectify that?

They're remakes of Pokemon Yellow specifically, and are pretty faithful to a certain degree to it, with the biggest difference being wild battles being replaced with the Pokemon GO catching mechanics. If you're that curious about them, I'd wait for a deal or discount somewhere.

There is a demo of them on the eShop if you want to give em a try. I'd recommend touching that before buying since the GO catching mechanics, as well as the unusual controls, are a very big part of the game.

I finished Let's Go Eevee recently, and I had fun but even if you want to revisit Kanto through this lens, I'd recommend scoping out the game first cause the controls and gameplay I mentioned are pretty big caveats.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

doing a search of the forums pulls up almost no one talking about it, so here's a PSA i guess

https://pokerogue.net is the ideal pokemon game imo. pure battling and growing a team organically without any of the story/exploration BS. servers have been pretty unstable the last couple days due to the game blowing up, but the solo dev (!) has been working on it. it's so great. i'm fully addicted and love building a stable of different mons to use as starters. looks like every single mon is in, as are megas, g-max, and various forms. the gen 3-style sprite work is impressive as well.

here's my gen 1 page of starter unlocks so far. starter team building is based on the point system seen here. you can also of course catch mons during the game to add to your current team or replace others

this game is a seriously impressive achievement, especially for a lone dev.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

PokeRogue is fun but the egg moves are assigned insanely and it does the typical ROM hack thing of gym leaders and rivals running shiny legendaries or whatever, which always annoys me

Zuzie posted:

That being said, I have seen a shirt line somewhere called the "Powerhouse collection" where its shirts with Pseudo-Legendaries on them like Dragonite, Salamence and Goodra.

Yeah, this is on Pokémon Center right now. Think they have hoodies and stuff too!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's an impressive amount of effort and it'll be a real shame when Nintendo buries the developer alive, along with their hard drive

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hooplah posted:

growing a team organically without any of the story/exploration BS

That's not how you grow a team organically. It just sounds like Smogon with extra steps involved.

Story and exploration have always been an important part of the series.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I touched PokeRogue a little and immediately it felt like reducing it down to pure battles lost a lot of the heart of the experience, compared to the Emerald Rogue romhack which also makes Pokemon into a streamlined roguelite with modern QoL but in a way that feels a lot more like a roguelite version of Pokemon, rather than a roguelite version of the B/W battle screen.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah. With all that said though I’m the only person I know who is not addicted to it, so it’s definitely worth playing, and there are some clever mechanics—in particular I think the point-based starter situation is delightful and a really cool way to make catching more than 10ish Pokémon a run worthwhile

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

It's an impressive amount of effort and it'll be a real shame when Nintendo buries the developer alive, along with their hard drive

Pokemon fangames are usually tolerated.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1788501770886377614

Lookit that Drilbur :kimchi:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Who knew the twins were ground types?

On a completely different topic, I've been playing Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia and man. The writing in this game is fantastic. Just the right mix of childlike, whimsy, and absurd characterization. :allears: I never played any of the Ranger games before.They should get the scripter/localizer for that game to write the main games.

Touch the Bidoof

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

yeah pokerogue is a lot of fun imo. just beat classic mode for the first time with Excadrill/Florges/Floatzel/Amonguss/Mega Mawile/Iron Bundle. Floatzel was nearly completely useless by the end but it was shiny and shinies give mechanical benefits so it stayed in.
My one frustration was that there's a couple of end game fights that are insane difficulty spikes you kinda need to build your team around, which is fine once you know about it but was kinda annoying getting there, failing the run, then having to grind through the kinda easy midgame again

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

AlternateNu posted:

On a completely different topic, I've been playing Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia and man. The writing in this game is fantastic. Just the right mix of childlike, whimsy, and absurd characterization. :allears: I never played any of the Ranger games before.They should get the scripter/localizer for that game to write the main games.

Touch the Bidoof

that would be our own poster Doug Dinsdale, whose done the translation for all the mainline games up until platinum. pretty sure either SoA or mystery dungeon explorers of sky were his last work with pokemon though

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Polderjoch posted:

that would be our own poster Doug Dinsdale, whose done the translation for all the mainline games up until platinum. pretty sure either SoA or mystery dungeon explorers of sky were his last work with pokemon though

I still have one of his gabite I think he handed here :3:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Polderjoch posted:

Oh, no poo poo. I though Doug was gone by SoA. Makes sense.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hooplah posted:

doing a search of the forums pulls up almost no one talking about it, so here's a PSA i guess

https://pokerogue.net is the ideal pokemon game imo. pure battling and growing a team organically without any of the story/exploration BS. servers have been pretty unstable the last couple days due to the game blowing up, but the solo dev (!) has been working on it. it's so great. i'm fully addicted and love building a stable of different mons to use as starters. looks like every single mon is in, as are megas, g-max, and various forms. the gen 3-style sprite work is impressive as well.

here's my gen 1 page of starter unlocks so far. starter team building is based on the point system seen here. you can also of course catch mons during the game to add to your current team or replace others

this game is a seriously impressive achievement, especially for a lone dev.

How viable is a monotype challenge run? That's my favourite type (harhar) of gimmick run.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Ibblebibble posted:

How viable is a monotype challenge run? That's my favourite type (harhar) of gimmick run.

Depending on how ontop of catching mons and doing the egg gachas when you start, you can get monotypes going pretty quickly. You also start with access to every starter so grass/fire/water monotypes can be done off the rip.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You can start with a bunch of pokemon of the same type right off the bat. If you find the map you can circle around the same areas and get the same types of pokemon pretty much indefinitely. The only issue is important trainers might just roll the counter to your type and there's nothing you can do.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/PokeMikuVOLTAGE/status/1788864054909370478

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pykE4kMhUUU

https://twitter.com/PokeMikuVOLTAGE/status/1788501683989078361

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

you're limited by the point system on what you bring in, but a trio of grass/water/fire starters is the default start when you have nothing unlocked, so it's basically de facto in the game as long as you police yourself in which mons you catch on the way.

i don't know how quickly the dev is adding things, but additional game modes including monotype are planned apparently

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Want to checkout Pokerogue, saw it blowing last few weeks on youtube. Looks fun, definitely will give it a try when I have more time.

In general there is so much good fanmade stuff in this community, you never run out of content even aside all the official stuff.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Ulio posted:

Want to checkout Pokerogue, saw it blowing last few weeks on youtube. Looks fun, definitely will give it a try when I have more time.

In general there is so much good fanmade stuff in this community, you never run out of content even aside all the official stuff.

illicit Pokemon fangames can get wild bc there's like... 1000 more or less recognizable dudes you can cram in there :science:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tried a few runs of Pokerogue and honestly I don't think I like the pokemon battle system enough to really get into it lol

Nice to see that monotype challenge support is coming soon at least, might just wait until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
It turns out my steel tera Goldengho beats this Primarina raid solo without needing any modifications. Did a trial run to test it out before going online (I don't like to look like a tool in front of the pubbies ok) and beat the raid on the first try. Never done an event raid solo before and this time I did it by accident.

Life Orb / Light Screen, Nasty Plot, Shadow Ball, Make It Rain