Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

I said come in! posted:

I wonder if the Dragon Quest 3 remake is canceled now?
Naw I doubt it, even the DQ12 remake is full speed ahead.

Like think about some of the other remakes that have come out of SE this last year like Front Mission 1 and 2. The quality was poor, I doubt it moved many units, and it drains org resources. Stuff like that are easy targets for re-orgs or redoing processes. You generally don't target your first party studios when it comes to this stuff.

[e] last year whatever years! time dilation

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Clarste posted:

I have to imagine that "be more careful about which IPs to invest in" means "don't invest in unproven IPs no one cares about" rather than "don't invest in our flagship IP that's kept us alive all these years."

That still sucks though doesn't it
Can't wait for Dragon Quest 32 or whatever and never any new things

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
at worst i have to assume we're just not going to get any more valkyrie elysiums or left alives. which is a bummer to me but something most people would probably rejoice about i guess, i feel like people couldn't decide if they thought lower budget square enix games were good or not after all the clamoring for more of them

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Taear posted:

That still sucks though doesn't it
Can't wait for Dragon Quest 32 or whatever and never any new things

DQ 11 was a masterpiece though?

Edit: any other series I’d probably agree with you.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rascyc posted:

SE doing so many remakes they're remaking games that aren't out yet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Like think about some of the other remakes that have come out of SE this last year like Front Mission 1 and 2. The quality was poor, I doubt it moved many units, and it drains org resources. Stuff like that are easy targets for re-orgs or redoing processes. You generally don't target your first party studios when it comes to this stuff.

[e] last year whatever years! time dilation

I don't think Square handled the Front Mission remakes in any capacity, but I understand too what you mean here. They have plenty of other examples just like this that were a disaster in the last few years; Foamstars, Forspoken, Babylon's Fall, Valkyrie Elysium.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Electric Phantasm posted:

SE doing so many remakes they're remaking games that aren't out yet.
:engleft:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the entire existence of the front mission remakes is literally the result of a studio whose foundation is offering to front all costs for their projects and not have to get the rights holders involved in production at all. square enix has lost negative money off of them because they never had to put a single yen in to begin with

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

well poo poo there goes front mission 3 remake lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Buck Wildman posted:

well poo poo there goes front mission 3 remake lol

This is the only thing I would be sad about. Front Mission 3 is the best game in the series and has a special place for me because it was my first FM title.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

at worst i have to assume we're just not going to get any more valkyrie elysiums or left alives. which is a bummer to me but something most people would probably rejoice about i guess, i feel like people couldn't decide if they thought lower budget square enix games were good or not after all the clamoring for more of them

i can deal with low budget but I'm perfectly fine with not seeing anything like those two again

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like if you even look at marketing stuff for the front mission remakes square enix isn't anywhere on them. that's how hands off they are. whatever decision they're making here is entirely unrelated to the fate of the front mission remakes because they have no reason to stop the guys who are giving them free money

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

I said come in! posted:

I wonder if the Dragon Quest 3 remake is canceled now?

Isn't DQ3 like one of the most beloved games in the IP? I'd be shocked if it was on the cancelled list.

Sad too.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The Colonel posted:

the entire existence of the front mission remakes is literally the result of a studio whose foundation is offering to front all costs for their projects and not have to get the rights holders involved in production at all. square enix has lost negative money off of them because they never had to put a single yen in to begin with
TIL I guess that explains why the game ever got any post launch support cause man it is a not very good remaster

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phantasium posted:

i can deal with low budget but I'm perfectly fine with not seeing anything like those two again

I've played Left Alive to completion, and it truly is a pretty bad game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

more games need to be scoped as well as RoboCop Rogue City was

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Levantine posted:

Isn't DQ3 like one of the most beloved games in the IP? I'd be shocked if it was on the cancelled list.

Sad too.

I would as well, its a remake that i've really been looking forward to.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dq3 remake is not going to be cancelled but i wouldn't be surprised if its mystery development is tied to the producer they fired and it's going to be like, the first thing they release while they figure out what dq12 is actually supposed to be now

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I hope tri-Ace survives.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phantasium posted:

more games need to be scoped as well as RoboCop Rogue City was

God that game is so loving good, everyone needs to play it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheMightyBoops posted:

I hope tri-Ace survives.

there is no reason they would die. they are a separate company.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I will have front mission 4 remaster

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

gonna kung fu fight my way through s/e hq for it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the other thing that would be super mega bullshit would be if the SaGa Frontier 2 remake got cancelled nooooooooooo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope we can all some day find it in our hearts to understand none of us actually knows a single thing about how square enix operates or how its suits make decisions so going into wild speculation after every announcement from them is kind of a waste of time that's always going to at most return to some kind of conversation about how someone is still bitter they said tomb raider had a weak launch once

Buck Wildman posted:

the other thing that would be super mega bullshit would be if the SaGa Frontier 2 remake got cancelled nooooooooooo

dude kawazu would kill them

also those are probably way cheaper than the projects they're talking about i don't think that would even be a consideration on the chopping block

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

square enix killed deus ex and one day there will be a reckoning

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Buck Wildman posted:

Did that ever get officially confirmed because the switch needs that and Unlimited SaGa?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

TheMightyBoops posted:

Did that ever get officially confirmed because the switch needs that and Unlimited SaGa?

it did!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Buck Wildman posted:

square enix killed deus ex and one day there will be a reckoning

they killed legacy of kain but the legacy of kain they killed was a sam barlow game that didnt take place in nosgoth and you didnt play as raziel or kain so i think it was justified

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

honestly that statement is incredibly vague and could involve stuff that was never even announced so panicking about it seems pointless

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

they killed legacy of kain but the legacy of kain they killed was a sam barlow game that didnt take place in nosgoth and you didnt play as raziel or kain so i think it was justified

it's me the guy who liked nosgoth and played the beta very much

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well nosgoth was the part of that game they rescued

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

*george bush voice* read. my. lips. more remakes of old games only I care about

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
for real though talking the eidos side stuff is funny cause there was like. a bit of fuckery with mankind divided i think? but beyond adding that weird mtx mode in every story is just kind of about eidos being really poorly run by its own heads. i like that the reason thief turned out the way it did was literally just because by that point eidos was so dysfunctional they couldn't hold an actual game director and the art director had to take up the role when they realized they'd never get a real one

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Buck Wildman posted:

Agreed, it's my other hotly anticipated game. It's my personal favorite Saga game!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

tune in next time for more of square enix's grail quest to find a golden goose that gives live birth to more golden geese infinitely forever

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I wish there was a Hundred Heroes mod to let me lock the map in place, to give me a dialogue log so I can read back what's been said and also to loving change the key layout.
God I press the wrong button EVERY TIME to get my map up.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
final fantasy is doomed

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Looper posted:

final fantasy is doomed

drat, 60 seconds huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012