Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh I was doing really well during the Guardian(even had The Bible to instantly kill Mom and Mom's heart) and then the Womb completely screwed me over. Is the only criteria Edmund uses for judging challenges "Are they technically completable?" because this is not fun RNG at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I must have lucked out on my guardian challenge, because I only needed two or three resets to finish it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I don't see how you can get through the Womb without either insane defense items+health or luck.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I dunno, the only problem I had previously with The Guardian was that the punching bag would suicide on spike traps and red poo far too readily, but they definitely added in some aversion to those two things in a patch, as others have noted. Other than that, you just need a couple damage ups to instakill almost everything.

Fistrockbone
Nov 30, 2006
A few things I've noticed that haven't happened to me before, not sure if this is new or not:

Lucky pennies seem to have a different look to them.

Homing shots works with maw of the void/athame.

Greed can spawn from blowing up shopkeepers/secret room bodies. This was in the Chest though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fistrockbone posted:

Greed can spawn from blowing up shopkeepers/secret room bodies. This was in the Chest though.

Yeah I dunno when it was put in but this isn't new to this patch.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Fistrockbone posted:

A few things I've noticed that haven't happened to me before, not sure if this is new or not:

Lucky pennies seem to have a different look to them.

I've had Shopkeepers turn into Greed when blown up before the update but only from the Womb on. That's been in before today's patch. Dunno about the rest.

For a dev team paying homage to Iwata, Nicalis sure doesn't know how to be direct :v:

EDIT:

I think since the new patch, doing daily runs no longer deletes your active save? Thank goodness.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 7, 2015

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Fistrockbone posted:

these have both existed; not sure about the first

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Lucky Pennies definitely had the same look as regular pennies before the patch. The only way to tell them apart from regular ones was to get Humbling Bundle, since Lucky Pennies will never be doubled. But I didn't see any Lucky Pennies since the patch, so I can't really say.

Fistrockbone
Nov 30, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

Lucky Pennies definitely had the same look as regular pennies before the patch. The only way to tell them apart from regular ones was to get Humbling Bundle, since Lucky Pennies will never be doubled. But I didn't see any Lucky Pennies since the patch, so I can't really say.

Maybe I was imagining it, I thought they had an extra "sparkle" or two around the outside. I'll guess I'll try to pay more attention.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If you're doing today's daily, I'd recommend checking for the super secret room on the first floor.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I've legit seen the missing poster zero times since learning of the new lost unlock, and that's with buying mom's box at every available opportunity, and entering shops with 0 coins and only 1 key just in case it's for sale and I can bomb it out. Man I wish I could just do the old unlock method.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fuccccckkk. Took forever and the stars finally aligned and I had the blank card, a 2 of diamonds and a battery in the store so I could finally get the hourglass and pump the greed machine, and I picked up Little Baggy and there goes my 2 of diamonds. :suicide:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do items found in Greed mode count for the item sheet? Might be the only reason to play it again.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

RatHat posted:

Do items found in Greed mode count for the item sheet? Might be the only reason to play it again.

Yes. It's also by far the easiest way to break the game. Reset for either D20 or blank card+2 of diamonds.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I find the Blank Card to be the easiest way to break Greed Mode as it works with both the 2 of Diamonds and the Jera rune :)

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

I find the Blank Card to be the easiest way to break Greed Mode as it works with both the 2 of Diamonds and the Jera rune :)

Don't forget Cracked Dice. Blank Card is an always-pick for greed mode, as it pretty much always breaks my run.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Qylvaran posted:

Don't forget Cracked Dice. Blank Card is an always-pick for greed mode, as it pretty much always breaks my run.

I assume you mean the Dice Shard, as Cracked Dice is a trinket with a curse effect. But yeah, I can see that being good too.

Too many similar names in the game :)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just to be sure, the last 2 items on the list are Kidney Stone and Mega right?

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer

RatHat posted:

Yep.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

RatHat posted:

Yes

http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Collection_Page#tab=Afterbirth_Complete_Collection_Grid

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LibbyM posted:

I've legit seen the missing poster zero times since learning of the new lost unlock, and that's with buying mom's box at every available opportunity, and entering shops with 0 coins and only 1 key just in case it's for sale and I can bomb it out. Man I wish I could just do the old unlock method.

You can actually still do it the old way. I've watched streamers do exactly that. You just can get screwed over by getting the Burning Basement, Flooded Caves or Dank Depths, which is why using seeds for those and then doing an Azazel run is recommended.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wow they buffed Shoop to do 4x the damage?

Is it actually worth using now?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you're doing today's daily, I'd recommend checking for the super secret room on the first floor.

Thanks for this. Snagged 88th score by picking up the perthro in the super secret room followed by rerolling the curse room on caves I into guppy's paw + head + 9 lives.

btw that room is to the left of the room above the first boss room

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 7, 2015

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

A small warning. It may be obvious, but the sacrifice room will still teleport you to the dark room even if you don't pick up the key pieces. In other news, thanks to Ipecac and Swallowed Penny, I beat The Lamb with Keeper before Satan. First floor Flight Eternal also helped.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Other changes:

Butter Bean deflects bullets now.
The Tick can now be removed by picking up The Matchstick.
Cain's Other Eye now scales with your damage.
Taurus works in Greed Mode and Boss Rush now.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I was redoing completion marks, since the bug that glitched them out stopped me from getting 1001%. I had two left, Eve to the Chest and The Lost to Dark Room, but after I completed Eve, it gave me the 1001% achievement. The Lost is still missing the Dark Room completion mark, so that's odd. Not that I'm complaining! Now I can start actually playing the game.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

BJPaskoff posted:

I was redoing completion marks, since the bug that glitched them out stopped me from getting 1001%. I had two left, Eve to the Chest and The Lost to Dark Room, but after I completed Eve, it gave me the 1001% achievement. The Lost is still missing the Dark Room completion mark, so that's odd. Not that I'm complaining! Now I can start actually playing the game.

If you already had everything from before the dlc done on lost he doesn't a baby unlock for doing everything on hard. It's just godmode and you had it.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I just got another 3 MB update, something changed/fixed?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Pixeltendo posted:

I just got another 3 MB update, something changed/fixed?

mac version doesn't crash now probably

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Confirmed Mac version is playable again

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Lost is actually fun. I hadn't touched The Lost, ever, because I didn't care about Godhead and Mind/Body/Soul, but I just Randomed into a Lost run and said "Eh, why not."

I never used the D4, I kept the Holy Mantle (it saved my bacon more than once), I ended up with Cricket's Body/Scytches/Incubus/Succubus and was just one Guppy item short of becoming an unstoppable killing machine...but then I picked up Tammy's Head in the Chest.

:getin:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dr. Fetus posted:

Other changes:

Butter Bean deflects bullets now.
Cain's Other Eye now scales with your damage.
Taurus works in Greed Mode and Boss Rush now.

Does this destroy the tick or is it just the only item taht can knock it off

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Lost is just a good example why sometimes that just focusing on making something a challenge isn't what should be done. The Lost was always fun if you could get a run going the problem was that was so hard to do and with the way certain rooms and enemies were taking a hit through a run was more or less inevitable. So now they fixed that and the Lost is as fun as he should be a lot more often, and it's still pretty challenging. There's only a couple instances now where I feel he is unfair. The Keeper needs a similar tweaking to make him more fun and still challenging.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

This was definitely a thing before, was it disabled at some point?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

Does this destroy the tick or is it just the only item taht can knock it off

Only item that can knock it off.

Geight posted:

This was definitely a thing before, was it disabled at some point?

No clue, but it was discovered recently.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

No clue, but it was discovered recently.

I can't find anything stating that this was previously possible, so I have no idea why I was so sure that was the case. :shrug:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Geight posted:

I can't find anything stating that this was previously possible, so I have no idea why I was so sure that was the case. :shrug:

Maybe because using match heads to dislodge ticks has been a thing in real life (though not recommended!) for decades and you assumed it would work like that?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I always thought that running into a fire should dislodge it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

Lost is just a good example why sometimes that just focusing on making something a challenge isn't what should be done. The Lost was always fun if you could get a run going the problem was that was so hard to do and with the way certain rooms and enemies were taking a hit through a run was more or less inevitable. So now they fixed that and the Lost is as fun as he should be a lot more often, and it's still pretty challenging. There's only a couple instances now where I feel he is unfair. The Keeper needs a similar tweaking to make him more fun and still challenging.

The thing about The Lost was that he needed incredibly specific circumstances to win without Holy Mantle/D4/Spec tears. With them, and especially now that they've removed some of the bullshit rooms in the new patch, Lost can go into any seed and have the ability to win. I feel even the best players would tell you there are seeds they've played that you could not reasonably expect to win as The Lost beforehand. The Lost is still a challenge, but one where you can just start up a game and feasibly take on in one solid go if you're good enough.

Keeper doesn't need nearly as much help to get through a run as Lost did before Afterbirth, but there are still runs I've had with him that just make me feel like the game wasn't designed for a character who works exactly like this because the game does not reasonably accommodate how you have to play when you're Keeper. I really hope they mess with him soon.

Also, Lost and Keeper both still require incredibly circumstances to be expected to fight Hush, but that's less them and more Hush being poorly designed.