Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

Steve Yun posted:

A) never happens, it's always a translator/localizer who's writing the script who changes it to something that makes more sense/sounds better in the local language. The subtitles were probably just pasted verbatim from the English

Thanks, that makes sense. Is it a safe bet that foreign subtitles will at least have correct spelling & grammar though? It would be good to know if they're reliable on that front even if they're not localized/ translated into the most natural phrasing. At least then I could defer to the spoken Spanish terms in phrases where they differ.

Edit for page snipe:

Got into The Good Place thanks to this thread, enjoying season 2 so far. My girlfriend and I sat down on the weekend and watched The Cloverfield Paradox (pretty dumb imo, and tonally it was all over the place), and then the original Cloverfield since she had never seen it. I think it holds up pretty well, though 10 Cloverfield Lane is the best of the 3.

Moacher fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

The Ritual is two different flavors of horror melded very effectively into one 90 minute movie. So if you happen to love stuff like The Witch, AND you also happen to love monster movies, it's one of the best horror movies of the past few years. If you only like one or the other you might think it's merely decent.

I recommend stuff to my dad sometimes, and when I went to get lunch with him last weekend I told him to watch it for some reason even though he doesn't like horror, and his response was "I haven't watched one of those horror movies since that one I saw with you in theaters. The Relic. I liked that one. if it's like the Relic I'll watch it."

I just kind of sat there dumbfounded at the Relic reference and was like "yeah I'm still gonna say you should watch it then. i think"

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

veni veni veni posted:

I recommend stuff to my dad sometimes, and when I went to get lunch with him last weekend I told him to watch it for some reason even though he doesn't like horror, and his response was "I haven't watched one of those horror movies since that one I saw with you in theaters. The Relic. I liked that one. if it's like the Relic I'll watch it."

I just kind of sat there dumbfounded at the Relic reference and was like "yeah I'm still gonna say you should watch it then. i think"

The Relic is awesome; your dad is awesome.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Why the gently caress did I start watching the original Dynasty?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Basebf555 posted:

Counterpoint: Don't listen to this guy

To be fair, I was completely sober. Maybe that was the problem.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

Why the gently caress did I start watching the original Dynasty?

No clue why you'd ever do something like that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

To be fair, I was completely sober. Maybe that was the problem.

10 beers may not be necessary but 2 or 3 is probably required, yea.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I just watched Wonder Woman and I really don't get the hype. I can see it being relevant, but that hardly makes it *good*.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Yo I just watched The Ritual on Netflix and that was loving intense. One of the creepiest horror films since The Descent for me.

Highly recommended.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

yoohoo posted:

I just watched Wonder Woman and I really don't get the hype. I can see it being relevant, but that hardly makes it *good*.

Yeah. It was alright, but I feel like a lot of the extremely positive reception was a combo of being the first major female led superhero movie, and being the first DC movie that wasn’t a total trash fire.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I love WW, but I feel that if it was really good it would be savaged by critics. It was just less-good enough to be rated favorably by the majority.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That doesn’t make any sense.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol yeah I was gonna say the same thing but I didn't know if my brain was broke. It's been a long day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

Comic book movies are a weird territory, man.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Chris Rock's new special is out, and... it's kinda uncomfortably personal.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

There's a Goldilocks zone. Similar to college classes, if you're the nerd who breaks the bell curve, everyone will hate you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

There's a Goldilocks zone. Similar to college classes, if you're the nerd who breaks the bell curve, everyone will hate you.

Counterpoint: Thor Ragnarok.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Wonder Woman ends with our female hero only being able to save the day because a male love interest sacrifices himself. Was it a step in the right direction? Sure. But when your pro-feminist movie's resolution literally hinges on a man's action, you're not as progressive as you think you are.

Also the bad guy's final form looks dumb as hell.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Ares morphing into Dark Souls armor was the weakest part of Wonder Woman. Still a good movie.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dunno how long it's been available, but I'm binging the hell out of Unsolved Mysteries on Hulu. Loved this show back in the day, it's a great mix of true crime and weird paranormal stuff. They also use the original people and not actors, which is amazingly entertaining.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

enigmahfc posted:

Ares morphing into Dark Souls armor was the weakest part of Wonder Woman. Still a good movie.

He should have that David Thewlis mustache the whole movie.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Counterpoint: Thor Ragnarok.

Thor Ragnarok is a pretty good comedy, a given when you look who's directing, but they forgot to remove all the serious dramatic parts of the story where Asgard is attacked and its citizens have to become refugees in their own country.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 15, 2018

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Franchescanado posted:

Wonder Woman ends with our female hero only being able to save the day because a male love interest sacrifices himself. Was it a step in the right direction? Sure. But when your pro-feminist movie's resolution literally hinges on a man's action, you're not as progressive as you think you are.

Also the bad guy's final form looks dumb as hell.

The problem is that Wonder Woman being 'pro-feminist' (as opposed to feminist/anti-sexist ?) is a narrative entirely manufactured by its ad campaign. Diana herself doesn't do anything even remotely feminist. She nominally assumes the position of criticizing 20th century sexism, but moreover Diana is a liberal humanist. Her mission is not to dismantle patriarchy and emancipate women, but to end World War I and restore the balance of power among nations, which is what makes her affinity for Morgan significant. This is building towards the horrific realization that Morgan is not Ares metaphorical enemy, but his obverse.

The issue isn't that the film thinks it's more progressive than it is. The entire attitude regarding the hype and reception of Wonder Woman has actually been paradoxically built on the premise that it's so progressive because it shouldn't at all be progressive. Liberal wokeness trades in these aphorisms all the time, with exacerbated individuals bemoaning that "It's TYOOL2017, Hollywood is finally gonna see that women can pull in duckets." But inevitably, when people go to see the movie, the meta-textual narrative obscures the more straightforward political narrative that the film is telling, which ironically only references feminism as a possibility latent within the margins of the text, but which is functionally irrelevant to 'bigger problems,' like... war?

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 15, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Dunno how long it's been available, but I'm binging the hell out of Unsolved Mysteries on Hulu. Loved this show back in the day, it's a great mix of true crime and weird paranormal stuff. They also use the original people and not actors, which is amazingly entertaining.

My favorite is the elderly couple who receive vaguely threatening notes written in crayon. I still remember how the old man speculated about why he was getting the notes. He said something like “I think they’re a couple of weirdos and this is how they’re getting their kicks. That’s what I think,” in this awesome stoic old-man way. His wife also re-enacted being tied up in the kitchen (there was a little more to the story)and calling the neighbors for help, which is hilarious to watch but obviously disturbing insofar as it supposedly actually happened to her.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Enos Cabell posted:

If you got an older Roku I recommend getting the ID Discovery channel. It is 1000 hours of similar true crime murder shows.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

business hammocks posted:

My favorite is the elderly couple who receive vaguely threatening notes written in crayon. I still remember how the old man speculated about why he was getting the notes. He said something like “I think they’re a couple of weirdos and this is how they’re getting their kicks. That’s what I think,” in this awesome stoic old-man way. His wife also re-enacted being tied up in the kitchen (there was a little more to the story)and calling the neighbors for help, which is hilarious to watch but obviously disturbing insofar as it supposedly actually happened to her.

My favorite was always ‘Stumbles’ the bank robber. He held up three banks and got away with the cash, but each time he bungled something. First one he tripped on a rug, another one he dropped his gun, and I think the third robbery his pants started falling down.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

The original narrator apparently hated how it leaned more and more on the supernatural as the show went on.

The MSJ posted:

Thor Ragnarok is a pretty good comedy, a given when you look who's directing, but they forgot to remove all the serious dramatic parts of the story where Asgard is attacked and its citizens have to become refugees in their own country.

I thought it reflected that fine with how out of his element Thor was in a planet of drinking and fighting, which is literally the Norse afterlife for people who die in battle.

Other than that, it was a fun, clever, and well directed action movie that broke out of standard superhero movie antics. Not that Marvel has a formula they follow for all their movies, I’ve always liked how they change it up between franchises so much.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is the new Thor streaming anywhere

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The original narrator apparently hated how it leaned more and more on the supernatural as the show went on.

There are detectable levels of contempt in his voice when he has to do a story about angels or psychics. He seems to really like stories about pets who find their way home across long distances, though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My favorite episodes all seem to feature the phrase "so they began their own investigation"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The number of textbook suicides transformed into elaborate mafia or government assassinations by the improperly managed grief of the victim’s parents is actually pretty depressing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPhbnsrkDlA

I don't really get this. It should be a comedy about two middle aged dads going through a mid life crisis. They're buddies and they decide to do karate again. The conflicts can come between their two opposing philosophies on it. No need to make this some drama.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
You guys are talking about Robert Stack, right?

I would totally watch some of the Unsolved Mysteries episodes involving alien visitations/abductions because I remember them terrifying me when I was a kid. I always associated that show with paranormal stuff; didn’t even realize it covered things like bank robberies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When people get nostalgic about Unsolved Mysteries, they always talk about how creeped out they were by the music and Robert Stack's voice/persona. But they never do mention the totally heartwarming reunions that make up a lot of the show. Tons of family members meeting up after decades, war buddies reuniting. The show was a great service. I wonder how much of that is going to still happen whenever they bring the show now that Facebook makes it so much easier to find past loved ones.

Then there's one episode where there's an old Mall Santa who's looking for his long lost daughter that he put up for adoption.
UPDATE: She died in a car explosion sometime in the '70s. :stare:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The saddest reunion one was about a woman looking for a teacher who was a major positive influence on her as a kid. She later received a brain injury that caused memory loss and encountered the teacher again on the street while she was in college but didn’t remember her and wrote her off as a crazy person for trying to hug her and say hello. Only years later did she recover her memories and realize that the woman had been her childhood mentor, and she felt so guilty she had spent years trying to find her.

There was no update after the story. It made me so sad to watch that I spent a few hours searching facebook, but I couldn’t find the teacher either.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The best old Unsolved Mysteries are the ones where they blame D&D for occult murders.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Just a reminder, Unsolved Mysteries is also on Amazon Prime.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

david_a posted:

You guys are talking about Robert Stack, right?

I would totally watch some of the Unsolved Mysteries episodes involving alien visitations/abductions because I remember them terrifying me when I was a kid. I always associated that show with paranormal stuff; didn’t even realize it covered things like bank robberies.

They used to have DVD box sets focused on specific mystery ‘types’ like alien abductions and the paranormal. A friend of mine had the set for ghosts because he was an actor in one of the reenactments (his role was sitting up in bed, seeing a ‘ghost’ and screaming ‘Mom!’ over and over)

E: https://unsolved.com/multi-gallery/
You can search through here to find specific case types

Though one mystery in particular makes me want to piss my pants just thinking about it:

https://unsolved.com/gallery/dave-bocks/

Being pushed, dumped or deciding to kill yourself by going into a Uranium smelting furnace is just... mind-blowingly terrifying. Particularly the fact that in the narration, investigators hypothesized he was still alive when he went into the furnace. Thanks Robert Stack, you rear end in a top hat.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 16, 2018

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Is the new Thor streaming anywhere

It'll be on Netflix in a few months.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think Thor is in that purgatory month where if you want to watch it at home you have to actually buy it vs renting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thor: Ragnarok is absolutely worth renting. It's utterly fantastic.