Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

Huh I could have sworn Life From the Loam was on there, I use the cool bird sleeves from the secret lair.

Are there any other :coolbird: sleeves on Arena? I already have the secret lair Birds of Paradise one, and there's one from Ominous Roost. Anything else?

Guardian Archon is riding a giant owl and there was a Dan Mumford sleeve that has a bunch of birds in its sky but neither is really bird-focused. e: I think there's a gilded goose secret lair sleeve too.

Time posted:

What are the best discard outlets in timeless. I want to brew around satoru and bloodghast/prized amalgam but I dont want to run the self mill package. Like inti is good but not even guaranteed to let you discard. what else should I be looking at I am drawing blanks

Collective brutality can get you up to 2 cards out of hand if you have a creature to target.
Taigam's scheming doesn't sound like what you want, but it's there too.

BioThermo fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
lotv?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

With rotation on its way, here's a fun game: Try to remember the name of the werewolf side of any of the midnight hunt cards. There's so many "Verb-Noun Noun2-er"s that they're basically all mixed up in my head.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Theros Beyond Death throwback draft is up, went in blind with a GB deck that ate poo poo 2 out of 3 games for a 2-3 draft. Always sad when you go against someone with a double digit rank and you can't put up a good fight sitting stuck on three lands and four mana solutions withering in the hand.

Spun up another one, ended up in RG after getting multiple rares for it and seeing the lane pretty open. Lots of choices here, curious if anyone more familiar with the format has advice on the build for it.

Mystic Repeal seems like it would hit a lot in the format, but does it warrant including three of or just one? Soul-guide a one-of in best-of-one to help with the prominence of escape?

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 14, 2024

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I think this LegendVD meme deck that he played last week might actually be good? I've been winning quite a lot with it in the standard Bo1 queue, and it's pretty fun to play. Has good game against aggro, but you draw enough cards and there's enough hand disruption that you can win through a board wipe or two as well.

Deck
4 Island
3 Swamp
3 Cut Down
4 Underground River
3 Duress
3 Go for the Throat
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Consider
4 Shipwreck Marsh
1 Otawara, Soaring City
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
4 Ledger Shredder
4 Ingenious Prodigy
4 Deep-Cavern Bat
2 Restless Reef
4 Proft's Eidetic Memory
4 Steamcore Scholar
4 Duelist of the Mind

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

I think this LegendVD meme deck that he played last week might actually be good? I've been winning quite a lot with it in the standard Bo1 queue, and it's pretty fun to play. Has good game against aggro, but you draw enough cards and there's enough hand disruption that you can win through a board wipe or two as well.

That's not a meme deck, it's a legit contender a lot of different people have been putting work into, from what I've seen

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That makes sense then! I only really keep up with a couple Youtubers and the occasional tournament deck dump so I'm not super up on the latest in the meta.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Time posted:

yeah I have seen this but I really dont want to run the self mill side of this deck. i think there is an angle to use these creatures being discarded to gain value and then drawing cards on etb for further value.

less the combo line of attack of this version and more just burying shadow/jund/domain in rectangles they cant deal with

I got absolutely bodied the other day by someone playing Collective Brutality to hit my counter followed by Reanimate on the discarded Atraxa.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

And today, I did an OTJ Trad because the above draft stealthily (why is it bugged again jeez) put me into Plat 4

https://www.17lands.com/draft/4a2e821b28464de08944e87bc008cda5

Which I built into this:

I didn't expect much from this and got the 1-2 it probably deserved. It wasn't completely worthless - good rate creatures + removal can absolutely get there, and did in some games - but it had basically no card advantage except for Bandit's Haul and maybe some Surveil, this really needed a Trash the Town for example. So I had a few games where I flooded very hard but really couldn't hope to draw more than, like, A Creature. So I'm putting that on deckbuilding (and the draft) and not just bad luck. It was quite unlucky tho lol, like the time where I saw five lands with Lookout, then drew TWO MORE.

The last opp had an excellent GW deck, which in one game I matched beat for beat - I could remove all of their stuff, including a Railway Brawler, a Dust Animus, and various 14/14s. And I had pressured them early enough so they couldn't just beat me to a pulp. However, eventually the board stalled out because they just kept up removal (they played very well, gotta say) and at one point I had put them on a trample trick (like Trash the Town), blocked accordingly - but it was the double strike + untap trick which I'd never seen played before. So that cost me a lot of my board. I also wonder if I could have just won by attacking earlier and sacrificing some of my dudes in the process. In the end, it came down to decking, I'd have lost (they didn't fall into the trap of playing strong creatures that would have forced them to draw cards from their Outcaster Trailblazer. You might notice that they had a LOT of G rares lol, something I didn't have!). So I swung and they didn't make a mistake and I lost hard.

First match I won off a mull to five because they were super screwed, by the way - cool. Final match, they played Trailblazer into Armadillo, then attacked with two cards in hand - I thought "haha, the double strike trick again?"...but it was Trash the Town, which they hadn't shown me before. Again, they played super smartly. And their last card? The double strike trick. So they dealt 18 trample damage + drew four cards. Yeah gg but drat that was brutal, fun to see even on the receiving end!

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Are you supposed to play around turn 2 Phantom Interference(the Quench) in OTJ? It's one of those things where I can't tell if running into it is bad or just feels bad.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's a very situational question. don't assume they have it, but don't assume they don't, and do the regular old dance of playing into removal or not based on vibes/what they played game 1

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

flatluigi posted:

it's a very situational question. don't assume they have it, but don't assume they don't, and do the regular old dance of playing into removal or not based on vibes/what they played game 1

That's a shame, it's nice when there are easy answers for this kind of thing. So what would be the situational factors I'm trying to look for? Speed of my deck, I assume, and then quality/importance of the card I want to cast?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you're never going to get an easy answer that always works

if your opponent has removal in hand, you'll want to play out something that'll eat removal so that you're more free to play your future cards, and what cards are bait and what you want to stick depends entirely on what cards you have in hand.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Cruised to an easy 3-0 in MWM with this Bristly Bill deck I cribbed from mtgazone. Its been fun playing against a whole new variety of commanders.

Commander
1 Bristly Bill, Spine Sower

Deck
1 Vivien, Arkbow Ranger
1 Nissa, Who Shakes the World
1 Vivien, Monsters' Advocate
1 Wrenn and Seven
1 Stonecoil Serpent
1 Iron Apprentice
1 Gilded Goose
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Elvish Mystic
1 Pelt Collector
1 Swarm Shambler
1 Servant of the Scale
1 Goldvein Hydra
1 Cenote Scout
1 Jadelight Spelunker
1 A-Ochre Jelly
1 Tenacious Pup
1 Kami of Bamboo Groves
1 Quirion Beastcaller
1 Wildborn Preserver
1 Gala Greeters
1 Incubation Druid
1 Voracious Hydra
1 Merfolk Branchwalker
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Armored Scrapgorger
1 Simian Simulacrum
1 Ornery Tumblewagg
1 Tireless Tracker
1 Tishana's Wayfinder
1 Jadelight Ranger
1 A-Oran-Rief Ooze
1 Bloated Contaminator
1 Topiary Stomper
1 Kami of Whispered Hopes
1 Old-Growth Troll
1 Rishkar, Peema Renegade
1 Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig
1 Kodama of the West Tree
1 Bristlebud Farmer
1 Verdurous Gearhulk
1 Elder Gargaroth
1 Railway Brawler
1 Ojer Kaslem, Deepest Growth
1 Primeval Titan
1 Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider
1 Ancient Imperiosaur
1 Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
1 Trash the Town
1 Inscription of Abundance
1 Once Upon a Time
1 Hard-Hitting Question
1 Ravenous Pursuit
1 Ozolith, the Shattered Spire
1 The Great Henge
1 Hardened Scales
1 Utopia Sprawl
1 Sylvan Anthem
1 Ranger Class
37 Forest
1 Castle Garenbrig
1 Lair of the Hydra
1 Boseiju, Who Endures

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
An event that rewards you playing brawl? That’s what I was going to do anyway. Play 4’s.

Commander
1 Emperor Apatzec Intli IV (Y24) 21

Deck
1 A-Llanowar Loamspeaker (DMU) 170
1 Annie Joins Up (OTJ) 191
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Avacyn's Pilgrim (SIS) 48
1 Back-Alley Gardener (Y22) 17
1 Baneslayer Angel (M21) 6
1 Battlefield Forge (BRO) 257
1 Bloodstained Mire (KTK) 230
1 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
1 Boon-Bringer Valkyrie (MOM) 9
1 Boseiju, Who Endures (NEO) 266
1 Branchloft Pathway (ZNR) 258
1 Brushland (BRO) 259
1 Cabaretti Revels (Y22) 21
1 Calamity, Galloping Inferno (OTJ) 116
1 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240
1 Cavern of Souls (LCI) 269
1 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
1 Coldsteel Heart (CSP) 136
1 Command Tower (ELD) 333
1 Commercial District (MKM) 259
1 Copperline Gorge (ONE) 249
1 Cragcrown Pathway (ZNR) 261
1 Delighted Halfling (LTR) 158
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
1 Elder Gargaroth (M21) 179
1 Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines (ONE) 10
1 Elvish Mystic (M14) 169
1 Emeria's Call (ZNR) 12
1 Éowyn, Fearless Knight (LTR) 201
1 Etali, Primal Conqueror (MOM) 137
1 Explore (JMP) 393
1 Flooded Strand (KTK) 233
1 Garruk's Uprising (M21) 186
1 Goblin Anarchomancer (MH2) 200
1 Glorybringer (AKR) 157
1 God-Eternal Oketra (WAR) 16
1 Goldspan Dragon (KHM) 139
1 Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma (M19) 186
1 Inferno Titan (M11) 146
1 Inspiring Vantage (KLR) 283
1 Into the North (CSP) 111
1 Jetmir's Garden (SNC) 250
1 Kami of Bamboo Groves (Y22) 24
1 Karplusan Forest (DMU) 250
1 Kogla and Yidaro (MOM) 244
1 Kogla, the Titan Ape (IKO) 162
1 Lair of the Hydra (AFR) 259
1 Lightning Bolt (STA) 42
1 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
1 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
1 Lyra Dawnbringer (DAR) 26
1 Mana Confluence (JOU) 163
1 Mana Tithe (STA) 8
1 Menagerie Curator (Y22) 15
1 Mythweaver Poq (Y24) 19
1 Needleverge Pathway (ZNR) 263
1 Overgrown Farmland (MID) 265
1 Pantlaza, Sun-Favored (LCC) 4
1 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
1 Path to Exile (OTP) 6
1 Primeval Titan (M11) 192
1 Prismatic Vista (SPG) 38
1 Pugnacious Hammerskull (LCI) 208
1 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
1 Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer (MUL) 86
1 Razorverge Thicket (ONE) 257
1 Roaming Throne (LCI) 258
1 Rockfall Vale (MID) 266
1 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
1 Roxanne, Starfall Savant (OTJ) 228
1 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
1 Shatterskull Smashing (ZNR) 161
1 Smuggler's Surprise (OTJ) 180
3 Snow-Covered Forest (KHM) 284
2 Snow-Covered Mountain (KHM) 283
2 Snow-Covered Plains (KHM) 277
1 Spikefield Hazard (ZNR) 166
1 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
1 Sunbaked Canyon (MH1) 247
1 Sundown Pass (VOW) 266
1 Sunpetal Grove (XLN) 257
1 Swords to Plowshares (STA) 10
1 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
1 Terror of the Peaks (M21) 164
1 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
1 Topiary Stomper (SNC) 160
1 Trumpeting Carnosaur (LCI) 171
1 Vaultborn Tyrant (BIG) 20
1 Voja, Jaws of the Conclave (MKM) 432
1 Windswept Heath (KTK) 248
1 Wolfwillow Haven (THB) 205
1 Wooded Foothills (KTK) 249
1 Jetmir, Nexus of Revels (SNC) 193
1 Anzrag, the Quake-Mole (MKM) 186

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I took my Tinybones, Trinket Thief discard deck and replaced Tinybones with the new Rankle and went 3-0 while having fun. Rankle is honestly probably a better Commander for the deck due to the built-in Edict he comes with.

Commander
1 Rankle, Pitiless Trickster (Y24) 11

Deck
23 Swamp (ANA) 28
1 Guardian Idol (JMP) 467
1 Mind Stone (WTH) 153
1 The Irencrag (WOE) 248
1 Barren Moor (ONS) 312
1 Bojuka Bog (WWK) 132
1 Cabal Stronghold (DAR) 238
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
1 Agadeem's Awakening (ZNR) 90
1 Aclazotz, Deepest Betrayal (LCI) 88
1 Hive of the Eye Tyrant (AFR) 258
1 Ifnir Deadlands (AKR) 302
1 Hagra Mauling (ZNR) 106
1 Pelakka Predation (ZNR) 120
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
1 Witch's Cottage (ELD) 249
1 Fabled Passage (M21) 246
1 Field of Ruin (THB) 242
1 Sunken Citadel (LCI) 285
1 Demolition Field (BRO) 260
1 Polluted Delta (KTK) 239
1 Dust Bowl (OTP) 65
1 Hopeless Nightmare (WOE) 95
1 Inquisition of Kozilek (STA) 31
1 Thoughtseize (AKR) 127
1 Tinybones Joins Up (OTJ) 108
1 Pilfer (DMU) 102
1 The Raven Man (DMU) 103
1 Waste Not (WOT) 38
1 Cerebral Confiscation (MKM) 81
1 Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage (WAR) 83
1 Go Blank (STX) 72
1 Graveyard Trespasser (MID) 104
1 Liliana of the Veil (DMU) 97
1 Dark Ritual (STA) 26
1 Rush of Dread (OTJ) 104
1 Unburden (AKR) 131
1 Fell Specter (JMP) 233
1 Hostile Investigator (BIG) 10
1 Invasion of Eldraine (MOM) 113
1 Liliana, Waker of the Dead (M21) 108
1 Raiders' Wake (XLN) 116
1 Rankle, Master of Pranks (ELD) 101
1 Rankle's Prank (WOE) 102
1 Skull Raid (KHM) 111
1 Painful Quandary (BRO) 111
1 Tergrid, God of Fright (KHM) 112
1 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
1 Reaper of Night (ELD) 102
1 Geier Reach Sanitarium (SIR) 270
1 Sheoldred, the Apocalypse (DMU) 107
1 The Celestus (MID) 252
1 Infernal Grasp (MID) 107
1 Cut Down (DMU) 89
1 Reckoner Bankbuster (NEO) 255
1 Bitter Triumph (LCI) 91
1 Hero's Downfall (VOW) 120
1 Sheoldred's Edict (ONE) 108
1 Go for the Throat (BRO) 102
1 Mirrex (ONE) 254
1 Duress (M19) 94
1 Tenacious Underdog (SNC) 97
1 Vraska, Betrayal's Sting (ONE) 115
1 Sorin the Mirthless (VOW) 131
1 Sheoldred (MOM) 125
1 Deadly Cover-Up (MKM) 83
1 Crux of Fate (STA) 25
1 Invasion of Fiora (MOM) 114
1 Insatiable Avarice (OTJ) 91
1 Case of the Stashed Skeleton (MKM) 80
1 Diabolic Intent (BRO) 89
1 Grim Tutor (M21) 103
1 Dread Fugue (VOW) 107
1 Extract the Truth (SNC) 78

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jasper Flint is a really fun build around too. Enough people aren't running enough removal that you get a surprising amount of triggers off him for 4-5 extra cards each turn.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LLU: OTJ Gameplay Level-Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDUZMWLopzE

Big Picture
What is your long-term plan in the game? You need to plan for games to go longer than five turns. Leaning into tempo plays instead of maximizing development will often punish you because there are major comeback cards (removal, lifegain + P/T like Spinewoods Paladin). Winning is a byproduct of developing your board. For example, Dance of the Tumbleweeds should not be a turn 3 card, and you should get full value out of it. Getaway Glamer is a last-resort removal but if you can, save it to both blank opponent removal and then set them back. If Honest Rutstein is the only thing you can play on turn 3, you still might not want to play it and hold for value if you don’t need it to stabilize the board.

Gameplay example: Alex had Mourner’s Surprise and Roxanne in hand and opponent cast Binding Negotiation on him. Instead of taking Mourner’s Surprise, opponent put Roxanne in the graveyard, which let Alex get full value on casting Mourner’s surprise to get Roxanne back plus the mercenary on the next turn.

Creatures that don’t do anything on ETB would be trash in other formats but can be good here (Marchesa), but you do need to hold them to immediately get a trigger and not play them when they'd become an easy removal target before you get value. On the flipside, save removal (even if you have a lot of it) for things that take over the game if you don’t deal with them, rather than things you can just block.

Sequencing Plays
There are a lot of moving parts for determining sequencing spells (primarily the once per turn Crimes and the double spells). Take a moment to consider not just what you’re doing on your turn, but what you have planned for your opponent’s turn and then what your following turn will look like.

Unless you have a clear roadmap for crime triggers and know you’ll get paid off for holding them, play your taplands on turn 1. This is especially important if you are a multicolor deck and need to get your colors under you. Gameplay example: a player desperate to get beats in with Forsaken Miner and played their UG tapland on turn 2 and slowed their later development down. Similarly, Outcaster Greenblade may need to get a basic land instead of a desert if the +1/+1 doesn’t really matter but having an untapped land for the next turn does.

Hold your cantrips for turns where you know what you need very clearly. This includes the surveil desert. Whenever you can draw a card, make that the first part of your gameplan, especially before playing your land. Gameplay example: If you have Intimidation Campaign, it might draw a tapland that you can play now and save your basic for the next turn to play your big card on time.

Doublespell triggers are “if you’ve cast two or more spells this turn,” so make sure to hold full control so you can trigger both of them on Arena.

Individual Cards
Snakeskin Veil / Take Up the Shield: These cards are at their best when the opponent is a bit behind, and need to use a removal spell to keep up, and then you blow them out. So the reverse, in terms of not getting blown out by these cards, is to not fall behind on board so they are forced to use them as a combat trick (and you can then blow out with instant removal), or they are forced to tap out and then you can use your removal freely. Sometimes you just need to power through protection with multiple removal spells which is why picking a lot of them is needed in this format.

Trash the Town: Consider spreading out the effects if you can, because putting all your eggs in one basket can get blown out by spot removal.

Getaway Glamer: The blink can be used defensively against an alpha strike to save damage.

Outlaw Medic: You can just throw this into a double or triple block to get a free point of life.

Highway Robbery: Sacrificing a land to keep all your cards early is probably a poor choice; don’t sacrifice a land before turn 5 or 6 at the earliest. Even if you’re flooded, that’s still a major tempo hit.

Rooftop Assassin: Often you should run this out on turn 4 without getting a kill on it, since the 2 lifelink adds up.

Beastbond Outcaster / Tumbleweed Rising: Do not cast this into open mana if you have only one creature on board to avoid blowouts. Plotting these is a red flag and the opponent will certainly try to blow you out if they have that knowledge.

Freestrider Commando: Not just plot but reanimation will trigger the +1/+1 counters.

Phantom Interference: You should have a deck where you can leave this up as well as some other instant spell, because people will play around 1U open mana a lot and you don’t want to waste the mana.

Holy Cow / Sterling Hound / Trained Arynx: With surveil and scry, the default question if you aren’t looking for something specific should be “Is the average card in my deck better or worse than what I’m seeing?” Being “better than just a land” (if you don’t need one) is probably below average lol.

Redrock Sentinel / Oasis Gardener: These are “bolt the bird” scenarios since decks that run them usually need them to cast their bombs. Sentinel is probably fine to leave alone early, but it gains value later on; Oasis Gardener tends to be the inverse.

Journey to Nowhere / Failed Fording: This the old template of exile enchantment, so do not use instant-speed enchantment removal on it when the target is still on the stack otherwise you lose your creature forever lol. You can take advantage of this with your own JTN by bouncing it with Failed Fording, so this can bump up Fording’s value.

Bonny Pall, Clearcutter: “the best creature in the set” (I am not sure why he took time to mention this again lol)

Hellspur Posse Boss: If you have an instant speed removal spell, kill this before the create-mercenary triggers resolve, so they will not have haste and can’t be used that same turn.

Annie Flash, The Veteran: Her triggered ability works with saddling, but also if you don’t have any mounts but do have a Sterling Keykeeper, you can always use it on her. (Also watch out for the inverse and don’t tap your opponent’s Annie lol)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Seeing lots of maindeck Brotherhood's End/Temporary Lockdown in bo3 ranked standard at the moment. Kind of rough playing aggro decks into them, makes Warleader's Call quite a lot better in convoke. I'm trying out Kutzil's Flanker in the sideboard since between that and Reinforcements you can often hold something up.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Is RG the worst starter deck? I sometimes do the duels to clear quests with low/no stakes and it just gets outrun or out tempoed almost every match. Having no 2-drops besides Illysian Caryatid just means those get blasted every time you play them so by the time you play the 5-6 drops the game is effectively over.

edit: Sprouting Goblin is a 2 drop but it’s just a bear unless you pay the kicker.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

imagine dungeons posted:

Is RG the worst starter deck? I sometimes do the duels to clear quests with low/no stakes and it just gets outrun or out tempoed almost every match. Having no 2-drops besides Illysian Caryatid just means those get blasted every time you play them so by the time you play the 5-6 drops the game is effectively over.

edit: Sprouting Goblin is a 2 drop but it’s just a bear unless you pay the kicker.

The RG deck is down there with the UG elf deck. I mostly see people jamming the RW, BW, and UW decks and they basically blank everything in the charge deck while also having decent removal.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

imagine dungeons posted:

ime it's overall:

RW >> UR = WU > WB = BG > GW = UB > GU > RG = BR

but some decks can punch above their weight with good draws. the only way RW loses to RG or BR is if it draws like three nonlands in their first 15 cards

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I actually feel the Dimir deck is the worst of the lot - it takes so loving long to get anything going that it feels like unless you have the wall and a bunch of bounce to start the game you're unrecoverably behind by like turn 5.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I win all the time with the RG deck. People tend to play very badly in starter deck duel and the various pump + fight or bite spells as well as big hasters are excellent against opps that always tap out. They also never see tricks coming even if I make the most obvious attacks, it rules.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I continue to find it extremely funny when people play Archfiend of the Dross against my Brawl deck that happens to contain Heartless Act.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Boco_T posted:

I took my Tinybones, Trinket Thief discard deck and replaced Tinybones with the new Rankle and went 3-0 while having fun. Rankle is honestly probably a better Commander for the deck due to the built-in Edict he comes with.

Commander
1 Rankle, Pitiless Trickster (Y24) 11

Deck
23 Swamp (ANA) 28
1 Guardian Idol (JMP) 467
1 Mind Stone (WTH) 153
1 The Irencrag (WOE) 248
1 Barren Moor (ONS) 312
1 Bojuka Bog (WWK) 132
1 Cabal Stronghold (DAR) 238
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
1 Agadeem's Awakening (ZNR) 90
1 Aclazotz, Deepest Betrayal (LCI) 88
1 Hive of the Eye Tyrant (AFR) 258
1 Ifnir Deadlands (AKR) 302
1 Hagra Mauling (ZNR) 106
1 Pelakka Predation (ZNR) 120
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
1 Witch's Cottage (ELD) 249
1 Fabled Passage (M21) 246
1 Field of Ruin (THB) 242
1 Sunken Citadel (LCI) 285
1 Demolition Field (BRO) 260
1 Polluted Delta (KTK) 239
1 Dust Bowl (OTP) 65
1 Hopeless Nightmare (WOE) 95
1 Inquisition of Kozilek (STA) 31
1 Thoughtseize (AKR) 127
1 Tinybones Joins Up (OTJ) 108
1 Pilfer (DMU) 102
1 The Raven Man (DMU) 103
1 Waste Not (WOT) 38
1 Cerebral Confiscation (MKM) 81
1 Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage (WAR) 83
1 Go Blank (STX) 72
1 Graveyard Trespasser (MID) 104
1 Liliana of the Veil (DMU) 97
1 Dark Ritual (STA) 26
1 Rush of Dread (OTJ) 104
1 Unburden (AKR) 131
1 Fell Specter (JMP) 233
1 Hostile Investigator (BIG) 10
1 Invasion of Eldraine (MOM) 113
1 Liliana, Waker of the Dead (M21) 108
1 Raiders' Wake (XLN) 116
1 Rankle, Master of Pranks (ELD) 101
1 Rankle's Prank (WOE) 102
1 Skull Raid (KHM) 111
1 Painful Quandary (BRO) 111
1 Tergrid, God of Fright (KHM) 112
1 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
1 Reaper of Night (ELD) 102
1 Geier Reach Sanitarium (SIR) 270
1 Sheoldred, the Apocalypse (DMU) 107
1 The Celestus (MID) 252
1 Infernal Grasp (MID) 107
1 Cut Down (DMU) 89
1 Reckoner Bankbuster (NEO) 255
1 Bitter Triumph (LCI) 91
1 Hero's Downfall (VOW) 120
1 Sheoldred's Edict (ONE) 108
1 Go for the Throat (BRO) 102
1 Mirrex (ONE) 254
1 Duress (M19) 94
1 Tenacious Underdog (SNC) 97
1 Vraska, Betrayal's Sting (ONE) 115
1 Sorin the Mirthless (VOW) 131
1 Sheoldred (MOM) 125
1 Deadly Cover-Up (MKM) 83
1 Crux of Fate (STA) 25
1 Invasion of Fiora (MOM) 114
1 Insatiable Avarice (OTJ) 91
1 Case of the Stashed Skeleton (MKM) 80
1 Diabolic Intent (BRO) 89
1 Grim Tutor (M21) 103
1 Dread Fugue (VOW) 107
1 Extract the Truth (SNC) 78

This deck is mean. Getting down Painful Quandary and Raider's Wake is basically game over unless the opponent has enchantment removal.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Did a Theros Beyond Death Premier

https://www.17lands.com/draft/d530f9ca3c21435e94213802aab93765

I don't know if the Lion, my first pick, is actually good. I've been informed that my second pick was not great - I should have taken Staggering Insight over the guy who brings Enchantments back on the top of your library. I had read somewhere that he was supposed to be good? Probably misunderstood something, or that was old info. Anyway, despite passing the Insight, I ended up in UW, mostly because of some early W picks with Enchantment snyergy as well as U being completely open. I saw quite a lot of decent B cards going late (and speculated on the Dimir signpost), so maybe that was also a path to go - however, that probably would have been less synergistic. Also, I opened Heliod. And got another Insight.

I won the first game with Insight on the Envoy - yeah, Insight is p good if they have no answer, huh. Second game I flooded brutally, against a deck that played 4 colors with G ramp and B removal and a double pipped U rare, feels like I could have been able to do something if I'd, you know, drawn something. Otoh they had three exile removal (for each of the creatures I did draw) so I probably would have lost anyway. Third game was a really cool and tight mirror match - we both had Heliod - which I won despite their barrage of fliers, because I could eke out a few more value plays (blanking their removal, and blowing them out on a double block). They also did something I didn't see coming, though, all on board: chumped Heliod with Archon of Falling Stars, getting back Ichtyomorphosis, and that immediately killed Heliod because he had damage on him as well. In the end, I had more action though.

2-1 for now, gonna continue tomorrow.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

lol.went 0-3 in OTJ with a horrific Simic deck, then 7-0 in the next draft with what I thought was a greedy Naya deck. Limited is so tough when your draft table seems to feed you randomly instead of clear signals

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Midweek magic brawl: 4-1 (had a quest) with a Gisa skelezombie pile. Pretty fun tbh.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Goatse James Bond posted:

Midweek magic brawl: 4-1 (had a quest) with a Gisa skelezombie pile. Pretty fun tbh.

Most fun I had was playing Jasper against a Gisa Rat Colony deck. I got to steal like 2-3 rats a turn and cast them. I outratted the ratter.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Are there any cards I could put in my Rakdos brawl deck specifically to beat Roxanne, Starfall Savant? She's just so strong, and it's difficult to get rid of her because the opponent gains mana every time they cast her from the command zone.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Chamale posted:

Are there any cards I could put in my Rakdos brawl deck specifically to beat Roxanne, Starfall Savant? She's just so strong, and it's difficult to get rid of her because the opponent gains mana every time they cast her from the command zone.

How are they stopping you from just beating them down? That deck should be struggling to deal with your commander, and if they're repeatedly playing Roxanne that only deals 2 damage that should be a big tempo loss for them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Eeevil posted:

How are they stopping you from just beating them down? That deck should be struggling to deal with your commander, and if they're repeatedly playing Roxanne that only deals 2 damage that should be a big tempo loss for them.

They ramp into Roxanne quickly, and kill the early game creatures that I planned to sacrifice to Rakdos. Then they use all that mana to play a giant trampling creature and run over Rakdos.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chamale posted:

Karn the Great Creator shuts off activated abilities of opponents' artifacts as a passive, it eliminates the mana abilities of her meteorites. Torpor Orb stops her ETB, but I can't think of anything that stops her on attack ability, other than just having things bigger than her. Roxanne is very strong for the same reason as Poq, it's difficult to prevent them from being recast.

Brotherhood's End can kill all artifacts and hinder her ramp (and is good against a ton of other brawl decks in general). I can't think of any single card in Rakdos that works well against that commander, your best bet is early disruption and destroying or nullifying her mana rocks.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Good to see Simic 'ramp and play fatties' works just fine in this MWM. Stealing their commander is especially satisfying.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

anakha posted:

Good to see Simic 'ramp and play fatties' works just fine in this MWM. Stealing their commander is especially satisfying.

I was running a Gonti deck (spoiler: Gonti is, as suspected, not very good, largely due to lack of red), and I had one fun win when an opponent running a Riku deck threw out Shifting Grift, targeting two of my creatures, presumably having just copied his deck off the internet and not knowing what the word "exchange" means (only explanation I can think of for such a catastrophic misplay). I had a 1/1 token out, so I happily demonstrated the correct way to use that card, swapping it for Riku. He shame-scooped immediately afterwards.

EDIT: I will say, I did have one very satisfying game, which was a mirror match. My deck was entirely cards that stole things in ways Gonti interacted with (so no conjuring duplicates or not paying the costs at all), ramp cards, and some counterspells and cantrips. His included cards like Sheoldred, Whispering One (which I stole), Gix (which I also stole), Sheoldred's Assimilator (stole that one, too), and Villainous Wealth (which I stole, twice). I got Thief of Sanity in my opening hand, and used it to swipe a bunch of his stuff, and got off a juiced-up Outrageous Robbery, and late in the game countered his own Robbery, and in the end he had less than twenty cards left in his deck, most of them having been played or stolen by me. I could barely find my hand, because the screen was packed with cards of his I could play. So, I got to see the deck pop off one time, at least.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 16, 2024

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you could run grenzo if you really want a red heist deck

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

flatluigi posted:

you could run grenzo if you really want a red heist deck

I'm aware, but then you lose out on all the blue stuff, which also makes it less fun. I'll just go with a different idea entirely if I want a regular Brawl deck, I just figured I'd test out Gonti for the MWM.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wanted to try out Wylie with all the Convoke cards that aren't in Standard, and unsurprisingly it does feel very good to add 'and then you draw a card' onto all of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Stuff you learn in a draft game: if your opponent redirects the effect of your mindslaver back on you, it's effectively "You control you during your next turn". Simpsons smokey bear gif etc.