Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Fat Shat Sings posted:

:iiam: spotted at 05:30

Wow, is this the office EightAce is based in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Is it wrong for me to think that Sandi is hot? Even if it is in a sleazy heartless harpy kind of way?
I disagree but i really want to bang queen cersei so I understand you, friend.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Chalks posted:

Wow, is this the office EightAce is based in?

Don't be silly, EightAce doesn't work there anymore, and he was only a contractor anyway.

:ssh:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

boviscopophobic posted:

A comparison of coffee machines:

UK

LA

It's cheaper at least, but still loving pointless having an espresso machine like that in an office without someone who knows what they're doing to operate and clean it.

Yo cig you could have bought a decent automatic espresso maker for half that and it does a bunch of poo poo itself and shows you how to do all the cleaning and maintanence on the display. They're pretty loving dope. Hire me as your office manager.

$117m and five years and it still only works 80% of the time :thumbsup:

Justin Tyme posted:

Seriously though why isn't cargo in the game

Trouble is they promised fideltious cargo mechanics where the actual items would appear in the ship hold and you could move it around with grubby hands. That's a big loving job compared to something like Elite where it's just numbers.

Why they haven't just put in a cheap workaround like you say though, who can loving guess. It's not like they're shy about throwing in a quick and dirty alternative (GO TO YOUR ROOM naughty pirate). Perhaps it's just not considered a priority, or they've run into problems getting it to work in Cryengine.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Malaysian made Vanduul ships

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
It's going to be so awesome:

NowonSA posted:

This seems really obvious now that I've thought about Star Citizen* for too long and watched a lot of videos, but I think the game will have a vibrant multiplayer experience, you'll just need to progress far into the game to get to it. We keep hearing about how everyone will be in the same universe, but with so many systems it's incredibly unlikely you'll meet anyone. We also have been told that you'll be nudged toward the core of the galaxy by the game. What if when you get to that core it's comprised of a significantly smaller number of system (say, 100-500) that are generally populated by the factions you've been meeting as you played, or maybe even a new faction or threat to fight against. With so many people heading toward the core as the grand mission of the game, even if the core has a lot of systems it will fairly quickly become the nexus of player interaction.

In simplest terms, I think that the grand reveal when you get to the utmost center of the galaxy will be one gigantic space station (perhaps the one from the cover art) and a swarm of players there doing various tasks. After playing the entire game alone, you reach the "end" and it's just fellow players as far as the eye can see, dozens of them flying around at any given time and hundreds in the station, or stations, in the system. Maybe to get to that player hub you need to defeat a powerful boss ship, or fleet, or other strong single player obstacle, or you need to gather a somewhat staggering amount of resources. I think something like this would really catapult it into an all-time great game, and I can't think of any game ever that had the balls to include multiplayer but make it the reward for "beating" the game.

Then if they do expand on the game they can add things to that galactic core gameplay. Maybe you can form guilds and construct space stations, maybe you add in player bounties and bounty hunting, maybe there's repeatable faction missions or faction story missions to do, maybe there's a player-driven economy based on core-exclusive resources. I mean, it's hard to imagine some elements of that aren't there in the game when it comes out, if my hopes for the core are right.

Here's hoping we get something like this! I'm anticipating a good single player experience, but this would take it over the top.

*actually No Man's Sky

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Jon Do posted:

bride of chucky Chubby

fixed it for ya commando :v:

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Why do you need cargo when you have persistance.
You can haul clothes by wearing them

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Tank Boy Ken posted:

It's going to be so awesome:

*actually No Man's Sky

An apt comparison. This is some star citizen level theorycrafting. They should prepare for disappointment if they're expecting to bump into a huge fleet of players. Hello Games have repeatedly said the multiplayer is not designed to handle more than a few players at once. It's been likened to Dark Souls or Terraria, where you'll find artifacts or discoveries with player's names but very rarely see anyone actually flying around.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

KiddieGrinder posted:

Don't be silly, EightAce doesn't work there anymore, and he was only a contractor anyway.

:ssh:

There are like 134 people working there. They couldn't possibly fire every single one of them to spite our thread, could they? I mean Sandi's husband doesn't have the balls to do anything like that.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Sandi's husband doesn't have the balls authority to do anything like that.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-08-richard-garriott-selling-vials-of-his-blood-on-ebay

Something for the Crobber to consider when times get desperate.

Could also sell Ben's bodily fluids, this would be a suitable container:

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

CIG burns through an estimated $3 million a month, or $36 million a year.

Whales on youtube weigh in:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Hi G0rf,

Can you remind me where did the budget estimates (without marketing expenses) for the other games come from? tia

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

EminusSleepus posted:

Malaysian made Vanduul ships

Is like Hellgate London where they outsourced the modelling to China and came back with models that were insane in poly count and were basically unusable for a game.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

WebDog posted:

Is like Hellgate London where they outsourced the modelling to China and came back with models that were insane in poly count and were basically unusable for a game.

That's good, they need something to pin on the contracters when another feature is late or cancelled.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

alphabettitouretti posted:

An apt comparison. This is some star citizen level theorycrafting. They should prepare for disappointment if they're expecting to bump into a huge fleet of players. Hello Games have repeatedly said the multiplayer is not designed to handle more than a few players at once. It's been likened to Dark Souls or Terraria, where you'll find artifacts or discoveries with player's names but very rarely see anyone actually flying around.

And thank gently caress for that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-08-richard-garriott-selling-vials-of-his-blood-on-ebay

Something for the Crobber to consider when times get desperate.

Could also sell Ben's bodily fluids, this would be a suitable container:

I don't know. Given the levels of toxicity he has historically shown, glass might be a bit too reactive to properly contain it.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

boviscopophobic posted:

A comparison of coffee machines:

UK

LA

It's not that bad. It's a standard price for a coffee machine if you're a high class italian restaurant

The main bitch with these machines is the maintenance btw. 13.000$ is just the beginning.

They do make some drat fine coffee though :downs:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Wuxi posted:

It's not that bad. It's a standard price for a coffee machine if you're a high class italian restaurant

The main bitch with these machines is the maintenance btw. 13.000$ is just the beginning.

They do make some drat fine coffee though :downs:

If you know how to operate them :downs:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Daztek posted:

If you know how to operate them :downs:

Come on, CIG has some of the finest software engineers on the planet. Surely they can deal with some random coffee thingy?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Breaking news: T-posed coffee machine destroys Santa Monica office building

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I've decided to try to emulate Annashill's master Livejournalesque "life in a videogame" reportage.

Here goes...

I awoke in a snowy wasteland yesterday, with little more than the clothes on my back, a sleeping bag and a pack of matches. Soon I was cold and hungry, and needed a place to rest. The wind swirled snow all over, and made it hard to see, but eventually I saw a small dark shape looming out of the white abyss. A hut! The flag flapping in the wind outside told me that the plane I'd been on had crashed on Canada. As I entered the building I hoped and prayed that it's previous occupant had left something behind. Some food maybe? Luck was smiling on me, as my eyes adjusted to the darkness I saw on the counter a box of tea, and various tinned food. Peaches, condensed milk, and Dogfood. My stomach turned for a moment at the thought of eating dogfood, but my instinct for survival took over as I gorged on the meat. With shivering hands I lit the stove and looked around. There was more things left behind, a storm lantern, beds, some books and a sturdy wood axe. I opened one of the books, curled up in one of the warm beds and started reading in the light of the stove. As my eyelids grew too heavy to keep open, there was a distant lupine howl, and the pained cries of a deer being brought to it's end. As I fell to sleep my final thoughts lingered on feasting on venison, but only if I could find something to keep me safe from the things outside with the same idea.

-from a real game in a real Alpha

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tokamak posted:

Someone spotted a whiteboard with ships on it:

quote:

Design Brief: 
LA - Anvil Hurricane 
UK - Origin 600, Banu Merchantman, Anvil Eclipse 

Ready to Concept: 
Origin 85x, MISC Racer (...or rover) 

In Concept: 
Lightning 

Ready for Sale: 
Terrapin
Get your wallets ready!

Anvil Hurricane and Aegis Terrapin were starter option that lost the vote to the Reliant. The Dragonfly came from the same survey.

Anvil F8 Lightning is the elite "end game" ship that someone posted the concept art of a few pages ago. It's been in concept for years and was part of the leaked assets we got from Lando.

Origin 85x is the personal craft for the 890.

This is the first I have ever heard of the MISC Racer/Rover, Origin 600, or Anvil Eclipse.

That's five new ships.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Richard Garriott is so desperate to peddle his POS game, Shroud of Forsaken Garbage, that he's legit selling his own blood for 5,000 dollars to backers.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/game-developer-selling-his-own-blood-on-ebay/1100-6441617/

CR should do this with his sperm, he'd make a killing.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chin posted:

It's been established that Hamill is loyal to a fault but CIG must be paying him a shitload for his management to accept reshoots that overlap with Episode 8 production.

This will probably lead to the doubling down of Chris Robert's blackballing from the industry. It is spectacular how much failure a man can put out publicly.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
They need new money, they get more ships.
Still they are far away from the "dangerous" ships which i don't remember the names of: Carrak, salvage ship, crew ship, etc... because that would mean for them to work of features, which cannot be supported by their engine

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

Seriously though why isn't cargo in the game, make a volume that is "cargo" that can dynamically fill using small, medium, and large boxes depending on a widgets' size except the boxes aren't actual representative boxes (not fidelitious I know) and are just extrapolated from how much poo poo you have in your inventory. gently caress loading and unloading nonsense. Make 3 different models of generic crate and task a few guys to knock it out by the end of the month.

This is the hilarious part, they have all different size and shape cargo bays that all need loading in different ways, so they can't actually half-rear end it, they need to develop some sort of loading area with crazy animated loading apparatus that is completely different for every one of their 100 ships, and some of the cargo bays block the ability to get in or out of the ship when full because nothing has been properly designed.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anvil Hurricane and Aegis Terrapin were starter option that lost the vote to the Reliant. The Dragonfly came from the same survey.

Anvil F8 Lightning is the elite "end game" ship that someone posted the concept art of a few pages ago. It's been in concept for years and was part of the leaked assets we got from Lando.

Yeah F8 lightning has better stats* than the most popular combat ship the superhornet as it's meant to be the new replacement.

*stats obviously subject to change**

stats from the website a couple of years ago before they pulled them, I'd assume because they thought they might hurt hornet/superhornet sales

**nothing is real

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

RubberJohnny posted:

This is the hilarious part, they have all different size and shape cargo bays that all need loading in different ways, so they can't actually half-rear end it, they need to develop some sort of loading area with crazy animated loading apparatus that is completely different for every one of their 100 ships, and some of the cargo bays block the ability to get in or out of the ship when full because nothing has been properly designed.

It's batshit insane even if they could find a way to make it work. Most players would realise manually loading cargo is loving tedious the first time they try it and either never haul again, or click the 'auto load' button and just watch the numbers go up like every space game ever.

Typically for star citizen this is poo poo that doesn't make a goddamn bit of sense when you think about it for a nanosecond, yet they've let crobber shoot his mouth off promising grubby hands and hiding in crates, and sold ships based around it.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Typically for star citizen this is poo poo that doesn't make a goddamn bit of sense when you think about it for a nanosecond, yet they've let crobber shoot his mouth off promising grubby hands and hiding in crates, and sold ships based around it.

When the game is released it won't be I'm going to travel around the 'verse in a cargo hauler, convincing Citizens to hide in cargo crates to help me with infiltration missions. Then I'm going to stack crates on top of that using grabby hands so he can't get out, and travel to the next port repeating this until my cargo hold is nothing but hundreds of crates of corpses dead by suffocation.

I think this is just a fine a theory-craft/potential gameplay as any Citizen can dream up on the CIG boards.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

iron buns posted:

Nice meltdowns

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

There are like 134 people working there. They couldn't possibly fire every single one of them to spite our thread, could they? I mean Sandi's husband doesn't have the balls to do anything like that.

He doesn't have balls at all. He's a eunuch. Prove me wrong, CIG. :colbert:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

"Kill me now."

Guy Fieri lost a lotta weight.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Sandi Gardiner, actress

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

thatguy posted:

I think Ben is fat.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

iron buns posted:

$10M. Yes, because an average cost per employee of $33k a year is so sensible it hurts. I'm sure they'll be able to hire and retain top engineering talent for that kind of money.
:cawg:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

They should slow down to get some rest for that toupet...it looks quite burned out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Has anybody ever played Agar.io? That new guy in the videos is what happened when Ben pressed the space bar to divide himself in order to absorb more.

• Locked thread