Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Butt Reactor posted:

TBF that sandman in YYC is a shithole but it's saving grace is that it's downtown, I've had more than one overnight end up in some nearby crazy bar like Ceili's or that stupid country bar by the overpass.

Yeah, unfortunately it's kind of in the boring, lovely corner of downtown (I should know, I live a block and a half away). The south side of the main railway tracks is revitalizing, particularly on the east side, but this part... nothing. Just new condo towers, no nightlife or anything interesting :smith:

In other news my "first day" as an instructor has been interesting. My schedule is technically open, but I don't have any flights, so it looks a lot like my days before I had this job :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i get what you're saying but lol at a commercial pilot going "yeah, i dunno, i just plain don't enjoy travelling that much"

I hate traveling but flying is p cool. That being said I'm only a private pilot.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Flying airplanes is pretty cool and traveling is awesome.

Hell yeah, best job.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rolo posted:

Hell yeah, best job.

Yep. I won't get to do the traveling and flying thing together for a while yet, but I did put all my training since starting on the CPL on my Aeroplan VISA, so I have some free-ish vacations coming up! :v:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Hell yeah, best job.

As much disdain as I have for my current employer this still holds true. Flying is sweet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah it has its ups and downs but if I have to sell time to buy food this is a decent enough compromise.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
My enjoyment in this career at this point is often very dependent on the person stuck flying with me.

I’m not saying I’m the life of the party but if you’re cool and have fun interests outside of aviation that we can chat about you are at least not going to make me want to smash my head against the yoke. I just had the 5 day from hell so it’s now particularly important to me who I get as an FO.

It’s super demoralizing when I fly with a sloppy FO who can’t be bothered to actually read a checklist properly making about 3 to 4 time’s as much as I made when I was in his seat a few years ago.

Maybe I’m just burnt out on flying RJs. I’m hopefully going to the widget soon and maybe that will rekindle my love of this job. At least there is enough of a shortage that I can pay my bills now so that part of my career is looking up.

Two Kings fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 22, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Two Kings posted:

My enjoyment in this career at this point is often very dependent on the person stuck flying with me.

I’m not saying I’m the life of the party but if you’re cool and have fun interests outside of aviation that we can chat about you are at least not going to make me want to smash my head against the yoke. I just had the 5 day from hell so it’s now particularly important to me who I get as an FO.

It’s super demoralizing when I fly when a sloppy FO who can’t be bothered to actually read a checklist properly making about 3 to 4 time’s as much as I made when I was in his seat a few years ago.

Maybe I’m just burnt out on flying RJs. I’m hopefully going to the widget soon and maybe that will rekindle my love of this job. At least there is enough of a shortage that I can pay my bills now so that part of my career is looking up.

I also really miss being in the left seat and having more control over the vibe of a trip, as an FO it feels like I'm just kinda going along for the ride. :saddowns:

Especially when I had a good FO and we'd go out and I'd treat them to dinner. Like thanks for not being a stick in the mud poo poo pilot, have some dinner.

simble
May 11, 2004

Rolo posted:

Yeah it has its ups and downs

As long as your number of ups equals your number of downs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

simble posted:

As long as your number of ups equals your number of downs.

Well, it always will in the end.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
My dad's logbook has one fewer landings than takeoffs.

I once tried to find his crash on the NTSB website but it looks like it's incomplete before something like 1983 (he crashed in 1982). At any rate it's not on there.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
My landings don't equal my takeoffs because crew environment :saddowns:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

e.pilot posted:

A cockpit exhibiting poor CRM fundamentals is generally not an accepted reason for jumping out of a plane.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Boo

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 20, 2019

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I have one more landing than takeoff in my logbook. In other news, now a Sport student out of 6B6.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
My takeoff/landing ratio gets screwed up by the fact that our SOP's require me to take the landing whenever the weather is less than twice the required visibility (and/or within 200' of the ceiling) for an approach, since apparently first officers can't fly an approach to minimums or something.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What’s the deal wit’s SOE type limitations? I’ve had one on my CJ type for a year because I’m an idiot and I forgot. I never flew without another PIC and I didn’t have to file as the PIC on that plane, but can I log the PIC time?

My understanding is that I can log the PIC but I can’t act as PIC.

Obviously I’m going to the FSDO when I get home because I’ve had it for 700 hours.

Oops.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rekinom posted:

This pretty much sums up how I feel about flying. I'm over it. Not miserable, not ecstatic, just neutral and ambivalent. Same with layovers -- literally do not care where I go. My only desire is to do what I gotta do and then go home.

My man!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Two Kings posted:

It’s super demoralizing when I fly with a sloppy FO who can’t be bothered to actually read a checklist properly making about 3 to 4 time’s as much as I made when I was in his seat a few years ago.

This. So much this. We're getting a lot of FO's who aren't ready to be commercial pilots but are getting pushed through training and signed off. I consider myself a solidly mediocre pilot but in the 4,000 hours I was an FO I never had a captain take the controls from me nor did I ever feel like I wanted to take the controls from the captain. In the 400 hours that I've been a captain I've already had to take control from 3 separate first officers because their lack of basic flying skill almost got us violated/killed. It's not just flying skill, the general attitude is one of laziness/apathy which is leading to things like incorrect flap settings, missed MEL compliance issues, and blatantly obvious missed items on preflight. We even have a few guys who are technically English literate but are basically useless on the radio.

However every once in a while I get to fly with a FO with previous 121 experience and the job becomes ten times less stressful and more enjoyable. I'm sure life at a major isn't all sunshine and rainbows but it's got to be better than where I'm at now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

This. So much this. We're getting a lot of FO's who aren't ready to be commercial pilots but are getting pushed through training and signed off. I consider myself a solidly mediocre pilot but in the 4,000 hours I was an FO I never had a captain take the controls from me nor did I ever feel like I wanted to take the controls from the captain. In the 400 hours that I've been a captain I've already had to take control from 3 separate first officers because their lack of basic flying skill almost got us violated/killed. It's not just flying skill, the general attitude is one of laziness/apathy which is leading to things like incorrect flap settings, missed MEL compliance issues, and blatantly obvious missed items on preflight. We even have a few guys who are technically English literate but are basically useless on the radio.

However every once in a while I get to fly with a FO with previous 121 experience and the job becomes ten times less stressful and more enjoyable. I'm sure life at a major isn't all sunshine and rainbows but it's got to be better than where I'm at now.

In Canada we have major regionals soliciting applications from pilots between 500-1000 TT, so I'm sure I can expect the same level of, uh, frustration (and I may be the same level of frustrating to captains :v:)

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
It's not so much the lack of experience, it's a bad attitude. Transitioning from pretty much anything to a jet is a big jump and it takes some time to adjust. Unfortunately training is expensive and the company needs pilots so they push pilots through their initial airline training as quickly as they can. The good pilots realize this and continue to learn after they're on the line but recently it seems like a lot of our new hires basically stop caring at that point. Being a flight instructor actually helps a ton with this as you're already in the habit of evaluating and making improvements based on those evaluations. Keep doing that, keep asking questions, and try to learn how to be a captain before you actually have to be one.

Also, sometimes the guy in the other seat is just an rear end in a top hat. Heck, sometimes you're having a bad day and YOU'RE the rear end in a top hat.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Anyone who posts in this thread work at allegiant? Mind PM'ing me if you do?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

It's not so much the lack of experience, it's a bad attitude. Transitioning from pretty much anything to a jet is a big jump and it takes some time to adjust. Unfortunately training is expensive and the company needs pilots so they push pilots through their initial airline training as quickly as they can. The good pilots realize this and continue to learn after they're on the line but recently it seems like a lot of our new hires basically stop caring at that point. Being a flight instructor actually helps a ton with this as you're already in the habit of evaluating and making improvements based on those evaluations. Keep doing that, keep asking questions, and try to learn how to be a captain before you actually have to be one.

This is all good advice, I'll try to follow it. I definitely want to use instructing as a way to improve my own skills as a pilot as well as just getting hours, so I'm already trying to approach things from a good mindset, I think. Beyond that, I remember when I did my CPL pre-flight-test with the assistant CFI (who was just about to make the jump to the airlines) and it was a bit of a shitshow, and I remember saying "I feel like I still have so much to learn!" and he said, "I'm closing in on 2000 hours and I still have a lot to learn; you're not expected to be perfect, you're expected to keep getting better." I want to keep that attitude as much as possible, no matter how many hours I end up logging.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
My favorite DPE in my area always used to call every rating I got with him a license to learn.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Well just wrote the check for an extensive panel upgrade (well at least my 50% share of it).

Dual G5's
GTN650
GTX335
GMA340
JPI fuel flow
FS210

All new antenna's , headset jacks, and associated wiring.

The GPS and G5's will be tied in to my Stec-50 for GPSS.

simble
May 11, 2004

helno posted:

FS210
GPSS

These might be the 2 best quality of life improvements in GA right now.

All of those are real solid upgrades though.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

That is what I have heard.

The G5 HSI costs less than an Stec GPSS converter and an analog CDI so it was a no brainer.

Having the FS really devalued having panel mounted ADS-B IN. You are going to be flying with a tablet anyways so why not just use that to display weather and traffic rather than trying to shoehorn it onto the small screen of the GTN.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

helno posted:

Well just wrote the check for an extensive panel upgrade (well at least my 50% share of it).

Dual G5's
GTN650
GTX335
GMA340
JPI fuel flow
FS210

All new antenna's , headset jacks, and associated wiring.

The GPS and G5's will be tied in to my Stec-50 for GPSS.

That's loving awesome, our most recently-upgraded planes have a very similar set of upgrades, and the only one I sort of dislike is the GTN650. It's really nice most of the time once you get used to it, but using a touchscreen in anything beyond light turbulence can eat my whole rear end. Even swapping frequencies can be more work than it's worth.

The G5s are excellent, I have a deep and abiding love for our two aircraft on which they're equipped, especially flying from the right seat (no distortion).

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I actually preferred the UI of the IFD440 over the GTN650 after playing with both.

However there are paperwork issues with using an IFD with G5's since Canada does not do the whole minor mod thing.

Avidyne also limits you to Jeppesen for databases so it is about $150 year more for the exact same data.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Couple of recommendation questions:

Online ground school? The school sells Sporty’s starter kit with the online school, would there be a better place to go?

Decent headset that doesn’t break the bank? As much as I’d like to :homebrew: on the pricier stuff you guys have talked about, I probably shouldn’t right off the bat.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 28, 2018

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

Couple of recommendation questions:

Online ground school? The school sells Sporty’s starter kit with the online school, would there be a better place to go?

Decent headset that doesn’t break the bank? As much as I’d like to :homebrew: on the pricier stuff you guys have talked about, I probably shouldn’t right off the bat.

King School is campy but great, I think its better than Sporty's unless that has improved a lot in the last 10 years.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

You can always look for a used ANR headset.

The Bose X can be found for $3-400. Just be sure to pay attention to the listing to be sure it is a dual GA plug headset.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

helno posted:

You can always look for a used ANR headset.

The Bose X can be found for $3-400. Just be sure to pay attention to the listing to be sure it is a dual GA plug headset.

Where should I be looking? Ebay and my local craigslist are showing double that at minimum

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve had a David Clark Pro-X for well over 1000 hours now in everything from 172s to jets and it’s been great.

Legendary lifetime DC warranty too.

Poise
Jul 28, 2006
Whoah I haven't been on SA much in the past few years but if u guys wanna update my info in the intro I've since gotten my ATP as well as graduated from the Navy's Test Pilot School. I can't believe this thread is still here.

e: oh yeah and Boeing 737 and Gulfstream 100 type ratings

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Poise posted:

Whoah I haven't been on SA much in the past few years but if u guys wanna update my info in the intro I've since gotten my ATP as well as graduated from the Navy's Test Pilot School. I can't believe this thread is still here.

e: oh yeah and Boeing 737 and Gulfstream 100 type ratings

Do you get any type ratings out of TPS? One of my exes just graduated there too, actually. Small world. Or big internet I dunno.

Poise
Jul 28, 2006
No types out of TPS. You do get qualified as aircraft commander in the T-38 and T-6B though. My type ratings came from my tour as a test pilot after I graduated TPS.

I graduated a few years ago so not that recent :P

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm starting to apply for my first flying gig but I'm not multi engine current, is that a big deal? Getting ME current where I am right now is a colossal pain in the rear end, but if it's the difference between getting a job or not then I'll suck it up and make the 3 hour drive (or rent another plane for the day to get up there, I suppose :homebrew:)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Am I correct in remembering we have at least 1 Horizon people here? Could any Horizoner send me a PM?