Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
It's weird to see such a muted response to a new entry in a series with this amount of history. Is it because the latest COH sequels have been such stinkers? The demo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blackbird Interactive wasn't involved in Company of Heroes 3. The marketing just isn't exciting anyone I think.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I keep forgetting when this game is actually coming out because of all the delays

I saw some chatter about negative reviews for "the new homeworld game" but it was about the VR one lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

6 more days until release, so wait is almost over! I am excited for this game, I love Homeworld, but my expectation is to temper my excitement, I think based on the demo/betas, this is going to be a really buggy/broken game at launch. It'll need time to turn into the best RTS it can be.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Amazon was supposed to give me the game on the 10th but they lied and it's the 13th. Now what am I supposed to do with a day off work

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Yell at the next Amazon driver you see

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Amazon was supposed to give me the game on the 10th but they lied and it's the 13th. Now what am I supposed to do with a day off work

Replay Deserts of Kharak so you have some good memories to fall back on after the inevitable disappointment of Homeworld 3 strikes :v:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

I said come in! posted:

6 more days until release, so wait is almost over! I am excited for this game, I love Homeworld, but my expectation is to temper my excitement, I think based on the demo/betas, this is going to be a really buggy/broken game at launch. It'll need time to turn into the best RTS it can be.

they did supposedly fix the majority of the complaints at least from the demo so i guess we will see

oh wow the early access is only 3 days away

HallelujahLee fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 7, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cant afford to buy the game right now anyways. Job hunting. :smith:

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
The Steam page lists Homeworld 3 as "playable" on Steam Deck. That would be an interesting experience, to say the least.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

i want DoK so bad but have somehow missed every sale in the last decade.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

tokenbrownguy posted:

i want DoK so bad but have somehow missed every sale in the last decade.

It's 90 per cent off on GOG right now, but it's ending by tommorow.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/homeworld_deserts_of_kharak

Burns
May 10, 2008

I remain cautiously optimistic but the demo revealed a lot of problems that should not have existed to begin with. It was like these people never made an RTS before.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
With the rate game dev burns through people that's probably true of a lot of people on the team. And if leads are tired/depressed/checked out/burnt out sometimes there's a total loss of institutional knowledge.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

hot drat! purchased! thanks for pointing it out.

honestly more excited for DoK than HW3 given how the beta went.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

:lol:, I immediately rushed off to GOG when I saw this post.

Turns out I bought the game already when the price was at 90% reduced the last time it happened.

According to my order history, I went on a buying spree back then and bought three really weird, obscure space strategy games -and threw DoK in there when I saw the price was below 5 bucks. I just then apparently immediately forgot. :shepface:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Libluini posted:

According to my order history, I went on a buying spree back then and bought three really weird, obscure space strategy games -and threw DoK in there when I saw the price was below 5 bucks. I just then apparently immediately forgot. :shepface:

Ahh, the GoG experience.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Burns posted:

I remain cautiously optimistic but the demo revealed a lot of problems that should not have existed to begin with. It was like these people never made an RTS before.

AFAIK it's also BBI's first game made in Unreal Engine, which considering they mostly worked in Unity for DoK and Shipbreaker can be a tricky transition. Some of the problems in the demo come off as not being familiar with best practices in UE, like how to manage cursor states, UI focus, things that in one engine might be very straightforward that in another require more thought in setting up.

Some stuff in the demo felt like amateur mistakes, but depending on how the BBI dev team operates it might come from them still trying to figure out how to best implement certain mechanics, systems and features, and not finding the time to make them feel properly polished for the demo.

Still cautiously optimistic for the game, the notes on changes to some of the bigger issues people had with the demo didn't cover all the bases for me and I expect the game to be a bit of a mess on release, but I'm willing to cut them some slack. It's Homeworld 3, finally.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I slammed a preorder because I never learn so I'll post my thoughts.

Rarden
May 20, 2012
They were fairly good at responding to feedback with Shipbreaker so I'm holding a cautious optimism that even if things aren't in an ideal place on launch it'll improve with time.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The thing that worries me, is that we saw those beginner mistakes very close to launch when QA and internal testing should've really picked up on those behaviours very very fast. BBI are very good and responsive to feedback and I wholeheartedly trust them for things that are fixable like that, but I am extremely concerned for more static things like the campaign itself and their whole gimmick of space terrain.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Even remastered was a steaming turd at its launch. It'll definitely be a buy a year later, as is the current trend of video games. Doubt multiplayer will take the scene.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I also doubt that BBI will still be around in a year.

Rarden
May 20, 2012
That's certainly the worry, with the current trend among major publishers. They've already been hit by cuts and layoffs.

They're owned by 2k/Take Two ultimately now, aren't they? Now that gearbox has been reacquired by their old overlords.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Rarden posted:

That's certainly the worry, with the current trend among major publishers. They've already been hit by cuts and layoffs.

They're owned by 2k/Take Two ultimately now, aren't they? Now that gearbox has been reacquired by their old overlords.

BBI is independent. Gearbox owns the Homeworld IP but not the studio.

Rarden
May 20, 2012
Oh, that's actually reassuring. The game only needs to be enough of a success to keep BBI going instead of pleasing a line-obsessed investor.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Flipswitch posted:

I slammed a preorder because I never learn so I'll post my thoughts.

gently caress it same. Worth it just for the nostalgia. Now excuse me while I listen to some Yes

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Homeworld 3 is going to be cool and good

Only two more days!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Eyud posted:

Homeworld 3 is going to be cool and good

Only two more days!

whoa, didn't know it was gonna be that soon! I gotta figure out if I backed this or not.

Dangit, I did back at a level where I was gonna get my name in there, but I missed the email.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 8, 2024

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah I did the same thing, oops

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

whoa, didn't know it was gonna be that soon! I gotta figure out if I backed this or not.

Dangit, I did back at a level where I was gonna get my name in there, but I missed the email.

in a just world, you'd still be able to get your name in later, after all, why not use patching for good this once?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uaa3WTHvtc

Templin Institute got to do a promotional video from Homeworld 3 giving a rundown of the galaxy's history. It even slots Cataclysm into the timeline, albeit briefly.

I really need to give Honeworld 3's soundtrack a listen. Homeworld 2 has some of the best music ever and I hope that Paul Ruskay continues to shine.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 8, 2024

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

It doesn't look like Amazon is going to deliver my copy for early access.

Boo I say, booo

*Edit* they changed it after I posted this. Friday it is!

Dilber fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 9, 2024

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

George Sex - REAL posted:

It's weird to see such a muted response to a new entry in a series with this amount of history. Is it because the latest COH sequels have been such stinkers? The demo?

Besides the demo’s issues I’ve become less interested in Homeworld as it increasingly became a series about war. Which I understand sounds like a weird thing to say considering how much fighting is in every game but it’s about the vibes behind that fighting. Homeworld 1 was about encountering weird space things just as much as it was about fighting. Cataclysm was certainly all about fighting against a dangerous enemy but one that had no purpose other than to consume - a war is political but fighting the Beast was survival. The entire campaign was barely staying one step ahead until you manage to figure out how to win.

2 and Deserts were both far more straightforward. Do the thing, defeat the obvious bad guy from taking over the world. Deserts was still fun, 2 was still…2 but there was a lot less vibes to latch onto outside the gameplay. We’ll see what HW3 feels like.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Arc Hammer posted:

Templin Institute got to do a promotional video from Homeworld 3 giving a rundown of the galaxy's history. It even slots Cataclysm into the timeline, albeit briefly.
As the world's only Cataclysm liker: good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm more concerned about Homeworld focusing too much onto individual characters and specifically the S'Jet family. A big part of what made the first game so compelling is that there's only like four characters who have actual names but the Kushan people themselves are the protagonists. It adds a level of scale to the events unfolding by playing the story from a macro setting. I'm kinda worried that the story of Homeworld 3 will get too far into "what happened to Karan when she 'died' exploring the anomaly and how long before the world's most obvious twist happens and we have to fight evil Karan and the Khar-Sajuuk in a mirror match"

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 9, 2024

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

cataclysm is very good prob played it as much as either hw1 or 2

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm more concerned about Homeworld focusing too much onto individual characters and specifically the S'Jet family. A big part of what made the first game so compelling is that there's only like four characters who have actual names but the Kushan people themselves are the protagonists. It adds a level of scale to the events unfolding by playing the story from a macro setting. I'm kinda worried that the story of Homeworld 3 will get too far into "what happened to Karan when she 'died' exploring the anomaly and how long before the world's most obvious twist happens and we have to fight evil Karan and the Khar-Sajuuk in a mirror match"

Yeah, same here, that echoes my sentiment perfectly. Homeworld isn't, and shouldn't be about some kind of specific messiah-figure, but the spirit of survival and exploration of an entire people. That's what gives it the sweeping and epic space opera-like feel.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harlock posted:

You have my axe

Arc Hammer posted:

TBH I'm a little disappointed from that video that the Khar-Sajuuk isn't just Literally Sajuuk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Harlock posted:

Nah, there are plenty of us.