Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Put Xpenology on the Dell as a test, if it works shove an eSATA enclosure full of disks on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

BusinessWallet posted:

Is there a ~4 bay Synology or QNAP box that I can throw 4 drives in, set up a RAID and stream 4K movies and TV to the devices on my network? Everything is hardwired, two Apple TV 4Ks, a couple smart TVs. I need something that is wife proof, very reliable and doesn't require a lot of maintenance. Plug and play is ideal. I just want to make sure it's powerful enough to feed content to my devices. Not really sure on budget but I generally tend to go overboard with stuff.

Infuse on the ATV4K basically runs everything I throw at it, from VC-1 BD Rips (which is software decoded!) to old MPEG-2 DVD rips to high bitrate H.265 UHD HDR10 rips.

It supports NFS and SMB and is easy for non-technical users. It’s just picky about naming when it looks up metadata but you should be able to handle that.

Synology is really elegant if your family will need to use it too and should easily handle a few streams out of it, especially if you don’t need to transcode on-server.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

BusinessWallet posted:

I hear you, but I really want something I won't have to mess with at all. Everything in my house is HomeKit because it just works, I don't have to mess with it. I know it's not as powerful or as open, but I prefer the convenience. With a unraid or freenas build, is that realistic?

Even a synology or qnap is going to take some time to set up and configure? You even have to do some of that with HomeKit devices.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I repurposed my i5-2500k system with unraid by adding 4 sata drives and using the ssd as a cache and it was ridiculously easy.

The docker containers for plex server etc are very slick and easy to configure. I don’t think it was any more difficult than what a qnap/synology setup would have been tbh.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

priznat posted:

I repurposed my i5-2500k system with unraid by adding 4 sata drives and using the ssd as a cache and it was ridiculously easy.

The docker containers for plex server etc are very slick and easy to configure. I don’t think it was any more difficult than what a qnap/synology setup would have been tbh.

Realistically could I get a low profile raid controller with enough SATA ports and use that in the Dell SFF I have, use 4 external drives in a RAID? Would I need a better graphics card than Skylake integrated to stream 4K content?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

BusinessWallet posted:

Realistically could I get a low profile raid controller with enough SATA ports and use that in the Dell SFF I have, use 4 external drives in a RAID? Would I need a better graphics card than Skylake integrated to stream 4K content?

You just said you want simple.

here's most to least simple:
Synology/qnap
Build with harvested parts
This post

And graphics cards have nothing to do with a plex server.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

Synology/qnap
This post

I always say I want simple, but then people tell me my needs aren't realistic and I need something more powerful. I'd love to just keep everything on a Synology and run a Plex server on that, feeding all the content to my Apple TVs primarily.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Another solution would be to just buy whatever 4-bay NAS, set it up and put your media on it. Then set up Plex on the SFF, point it at the media on the NAS and serve it from there.

Only issue that might pop up will be increased power consumption and network bottlenecking.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

BusinessWallet posted:

I always say I want simple, but then people tell me my needs aren't realistic and I need something more powerful. I'd love to just keep everything on a Synology and run a Plex server on that, feeding all the content to my Apple TVs primarily.

You should be fine with atvs as clients. They might have to do some audio transcoding but they can direct play pretty much any video source. Your smart TVs otoh might be more demanding. It sounds like you should just go synology to me.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Perfect. Thanks guys, probably gonna stick with Synology and then add the SFF to it, if I end up needing more power. Is there any NAS hard drive that you'd recommend for a network with a lot of bandwidth, streaming a lot of higher quality stuff?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So here's the "new" NAS that replaced my Dell R710s from scraps I had around the shop.

Generic 8 Bay SATA Chassis
AMD Phenom II X4 840
10GB DDR3
128GB SSD RAID-1 (OS)
4 x 1TB in ZFS RAID
1 x 4TB USB 3.0 (Rsync Backups)
FreeNAS 10 Corral with Plex Docker (Official) and Couchpotato Docker

Its been pretty responsive, only major upset is loss of Unrestricted Guest features for VMs which breaks Windows VMs.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

Synology/qnap
This post

Just wanted to point out that your graphics card can have something to do with your Plex server if you are doing hardware decoding with your GPU.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

Just wanted to point out that your graphics card can have something to do with your Plex server if you are doing hardware decoding with your GPU.

Sure! But quicksync doesn't limit you to two streams.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

No disagreeing, just pointing it out for accuracy.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

phongn posted:

Infuse on the ATV4K basically runs everything I throw at it, from VC-1 BD Rips (which is software decoded!) to old MPEG-2 DVD rips to high bitrate H.265 UHD HDR10 rips.

It supports NFS and SMB and is easy for non-technical users. It’s just picky about naming when it looks up metadata but you should be able to handle that.

Synology is really elegant if your family will need to use it too and should easily handle a few streams out of it, especially if you don’t need to transcode on-server.

I run the same thing - Infuse on ATV - and even for the ones where the metadata isnt right on the process to update it is painless enough

I have direct blu ray rips off the discs on my nas and infuse is the primary consumption method

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Munkeymon posted:

What's a reverse breakout? Plugging an SF-8087 storage device into four host SATA ports?

Yeah, like if you had one of those 16 sata port raid cards and a Norco case that has sas ports on the expander.

You can go from sas hba to sata drives, or from a sata hba to a sas port, and the breakout cables are subtly different enough to not work backwards.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Matt Zerella posted:

I am in the awkward position that my Xeon i3 came with no built in quicksync so... GPU is it.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

BusinessWallet posted:

Perfect. Thanks guys, probably gonna stick with Synology and then add the SFF to it, if I end up needing more power. Is there any NAS hard drive that you'd recommend for a network with a lot of bandwidth, streaming a lot of higher quality stuff?
Streaming sequential data is basically the easiest thing possible. Even UHD BD peaks at ~108 Mb/s and I doubt if real titles even hit half that. A 5400 RPM drive should trivially be able to handle 100 MB/s streaming performance.

I personally prefer HGST's Deskstar NAS line but honestly a WD Red would do just as well. Really, any hard drive is sufficiently fast.

phongn fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 9, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shuck an Easystore.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Or get a used HGST from goharddrive with a three year warranty, which is the only reason to buy a new drive anyway.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Or get a used HGST from goharddrive with a three year warranty, which is the only reason to buy a new drive anyway.

Does someone have a trip report on these drives? Was about to pick up a few for a NAS. They seem like a steal at $140.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tonic posted:

Does someone have a trip report on these drives? Was about to pick up a few for a NAS. They seem like a steal at $140.

Yeah, I bought four (at $170 each). Just finished getting them into my array over the weekend.

Two of the drives were DOA, but the package had clearly been treated badly by UPS, and the two defective ones were right next to each other. The warranty process was quick and easy and the next two were fine. The ones I kept all passed dban wipes and multiple ZFS resilvers.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Thanks Ants posted:

Put Xpenology on the Dell as a test, if it works shove an eSATA enclosure full of disks on it.

... is this still a thing? Every time I consider it and go the website, I'm turned off. The website hasn't been updated in over a year. Not to mention the site looks like garbo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PSA: ZFSonLinux 0.7.7 has a significant bug that can cause possible data loss when writing a lot of small files. Ubuntu is safe if you don't compile your own since 0.7.7 was never released as a package.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So, btrfs, fsync, and zfs - what filesystems won't Linux gently caress up?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Running FreeBSD on my NAS is looking better all the time :mrgw:

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

D. Ebdrup posted:

So, btrfs, fsync, and zfs - what filesystems won't Linux gently caress up?

Xfs? Speaking of which rhel 7.5 out today with vdo might be interesting with something overlayed like xfs and gluster

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
How ironclad is that advice to pass through a whole device to ZFS rather than just a partition? Like, say I want to do root-on-zfs but I also want a small partition for EFIboot and a partition for swap on the same SSD, would that be problematic? Or is the whole thing just a best-practice that only applies to enterprise usage and/or a recommendation against multiple ZFS partitions on a drive?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

I had my first drive disconnect from my Synology NAS while I was copying a bunch of data. After reboot, it returned and I ran a quick SMART test. Do you guys see anything going on here? I'm bad with these, thanks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pending / offline uncorrectable sector counts are non zero. That drive is dying.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Another giveaway is that Hardware ECC Recovered has the raw value that it does; unfortunately it's not a well-defined attribute because it's vendor-implementation specific, but generally it should be zero or very low - indicating that it's simply counting the ECC errors or the rate at which errors are encountered. In this case, I would guess they're simply counting the errors, as a rate that high would probably be an indicator that the drive is in imminent danger of exploding (which it probably is anyway, with that many ECC errors). Replace the poor thing as soon as possible, and send it to the harddrive farm up-state.

The way to know if a drive is dying is to chart the raw S.M.A.R.T attributes along with checksum errors from zpool status and whatever other data you can get your hands on depending on filesystem of choice, using collectd and rrdtool. That way you have pretty graphs which makes it a lot easier to correlate things.

Anecdotally, one of my +60000 hour drives in my server got 4 uncorrectable sector errors in the first week of its lifetime, but the count is still at 4 to this day, and it's still not given up the ghost despite having run almost continuously for nearly 6 years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Whenever I see ECC Error rates increase, I worry.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately the drive is 2 weeks over the 3 year warranty from Seagate so I guess it’s trash. Funny how these drives start failing right after the warranty period ends.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

tonic posted:

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately the drive is 2 weeks over the 3 year warranty from Seagate so I guess it’s trash. Funny how these drives start failing right after the warranty period ends.

Did you buy it with a credit card? You might have extended warranty coverage through that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Or contact their support and give it a shot anyway.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

D. Ebdrup posted:

Another giveaway is that Hardware ECC Recovered has the raw value that it does; unfortunately it's not a well-defined attribute because it's vendor-implementation specific, but generally it should be zero or very low - indicating that it's simply counting the ECC errors or the rate at which errors are encountered. In this case, I would guess they're simply counting the errors, as a rate that high would probably be an indicator that the drive is in imminent danger of exploding (which it probably is anyway, with that many ECC errors). Replace the poor thing as soon as possible, and send it to the harddrive farm up-state.

OP's disk definitely has problems - 400+ pending/offline uncorrectable sectors is not good, and I'd bet that after a write-zeroes pass those turn into reallocations.

However, Hardware ECC Recovered is not a reliable indicator of problems. Even aside from the fact that (as you note) the raw value is very vendor specific, making its interpretation difficult, HDDs routinely have to use ECC to reconstruct data when reading sectors. Magnetic recording density has been so high for so long that, even in 100% healthy drives, expecting every sector to read perfectly every time is beyond absurd, which is why they use strong ECC to both detect and correct multi-bit errors.

(One of the big reasons the storage industry pushed for 4Kn format drives is that strong ECC codes are significantly more efficient at larger block sizes.)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Meanwhile a ton of enterprise software vendors pushed back and paid to have 512 byte sectors continue to ship because it was taking so long to update and test their software ecosystem to support 4K sectors.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

Meanwhile a ton of enterprise software vendors pushed back and paid to have 512 byte sectors continue to ship because it was taking so long to update and test their software ecosystem to support 4K sectors.

This poo poo isn't new, or isolated to this particular industry. I was getting some new tyres put on my car when I noticed the billing/lookup PC was running Windows 3.11. I don't even want to imagine how that got PCI-DSS approval.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Running into a weird issue, perhaps due to a weird config.

I have an iSCSI target (Debian) and an iSCSI initiator (Win2012r2) running as virtual machines on the same ESXI 6 host. The Windows initiator connects to the target, and offers an SMB file share on the iSCSI drive.

I started doing massive file transfers to the file share from a different Windows client, outside of the virtual environment, using Robocopy. The first couple went through and successfully transferred over 10TB. At some point, however, the copy speed crapped out and went very slow. Checked the Windows VM and found a shitload of errors in the system log: "The initiator could not send an iSCSI PDU." Monitoring network usage when the issue occurs, bandwidth use appears to tank from ~950mb/s to spurting along at like ~14mb/s.

However!

If I hop onto the Debian box and use dd to copy data off the device being used for the iSCSI target, I can still get over 80MB/sec. So I don't think the disks are going unresponsive. There doesn't appear to be any anomalous SMART readings on the drives either.

If I fire up iperf while performance is tanking, I can still get multi-gigabit speeds going both ways. So the virtual network (probably?) isn't choking.

Now, if I reboot the Windows VM and start copying an ~8GB file, it'll make it about 5GB through before keeling over and spitting errors in the event log. But past transfers went just fine and chewed through many similar files without issue.

Any suggestions as to what could be causing this? I'm baffled by how it seemed to be working just fine for a couple of days and now it's just not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I have a two bay synology NAS, using the disks individually. (For some reason it is showing one disk as a single storage using JBOD, and the second disk individually without any raid setup)

What is the best way to replace one of these disks with a larger one, should I connect both the old and new drives to a PC and mirror the disk sector by sector (And then somehow expand the file system), or can I attach the new drive via USB to the NAS, transfer the data, and then put it inside?