Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hey as long as we don't ever go back to this I can put up with a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

aerith is a different thing that's just a matter of romanization. they didn't change her name at all it's just how they decided it's pronounced in native english, you wouldn't pronounce it that way in japanese because the "th" sound is not one you would commonly make

It's also, IIRC, not actually something that was 100% intentional. It's the result of a bug in the game's naming screen. If you somehow skip that it actually defaults to Aerith, not Aeris, even in the English version. That's part of the reason it got so much focus compared to other localization name changes, it's one that genuinely appeared to be an error.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway yeah nintendo treehouse does localize all these games like they're pokemon or zelda. and that's kind of the problem. a lot of their major dysfunction comes from genuinely not having any idea what to do when they're given something like fire emblem. they're trained to translate games with simplistic kid-friendly writing, not stuff that's willing to get mildly weird

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Picked up Hundred Heroes where I left off, and even though I can't understand Japanese hearing Garoo's voice tone change when he sees his daughter is very sweet. I was so used to hearing him sound all stoic, the shift to soft and light caught me off guard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

anyway yeah nintendo treehouse does localize all these games like they're pokemon or zelda. and that's kind of the problem. a lot of their major dysfunction comes from genuinely not having any idea what to do when they're given something like fire emblem. they're trained to translate games with simplistic kid-friendly writing, not stuff that's willing to get mildly weird

its also why a lot of stuff, even stuff aimed at teens, gets this weirdly kidified tone. fe three houses didnt have that problem much mostly but fates and engage got it baaaad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk how you make fe engages writing feel more juvenile when its already written like early one piece filler but they managed it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The challenges have been alright so far, but I realized this requires a second tier currency, which will probably make it too much of a grind

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Redezga posted:

Picked up Hundred Heroes where I left off, and even though I can't understand Japanese hearing Garoo's voice tone change when he sees his daughter is very sweet. I was so used to hearing him sound all stoic, the shift to soft and light caught me off guard.

It's funny that in english he's Australian but his daughter doesn't seem to be

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

well the dq translation team is, very bad

i do like their puns, they do a good job with that

i still get a chuckle out of jack of all trades abbey turning into master of nuun

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I enjoy the English dialogue in the Dragon Quest games I've played but since I don't know Japanese I'm blissfully ignorant of any ways in which the translation fucks things up

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm less into the character name changes in DQXI, though. I mean Sylvia -> Sylvando makes sense, at least to me, "The Great Sylvando" sounds better for that character in English, but for example changing "Martina" to "Jade" just feels arbitrary.

More puns. Everyone from Heliodor has a mineral based name. Jade, Carnelian, Flint, Chalky, Amber, Gemma, Sandy.

Law to Rab is a bit of a headscratcher though.

I like the DQ translation/localisations a lot overall.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Harrow posted:

I enjoy the English dialogue in the Dragon Quest games I've played but since I don't know Japanese I'm blissfully ignorant of any ways in which the translation fucks things up

Half the bad reviews for Eiyunden are people kicking off about the translation and I really want to know if it's genuinely bad or they just cut out weird poo poo

It's a shame it's become so poisoned because I automatically assume the latter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

Half the bad reviews for Eiyunden are people kicking off about the translation and I really want to know if it's genuinely bad or they just cut out weird poo poo

It's the latter (or rather complaints about it being 'woke.')

Like, unironically and 100%, the spark point for it was someone going "They changed so much in the translation (because I used an AI translator to translate the text onscreen and it didn't say the same thing.)" However it's largely an expansion of the "they made the game WOKE" complaints that were coming out pre-release because it had a black woman in a prominent role in it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

More puns. Everyone from Heliodor has a mineral based name. Jade, Carnelian, Flint, Chalky, Amber, Gemma, Sandy.

Holy poo poo how did I never catch that connection, I'm such a dingus lmao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Law to Rab is a bit of a headscratcher though.

I like the DQ translation/localisations a lot overall.

His Japanese name is actually supposed to be "Ro" or "Rou" because he's a descendet of Roche. In English they used Erdwin and went for "Rab" (short for "Robert") instead. I'm pretty sure the intent was to come up with a name that was close to "Ro(bert)" at some point and when they went Scottish with him they changed Rob to Rab.

They translated Roche's name as Erdwin instead which kind of makes thing a bit weird but that is because Roche starts with the same beginning as Roto/Loto, the name which was localized as Erdrick and they priorized keeping that over making it mesh with Rab's name. (They could have gone for like Ed or something but it doesn't necessarily fit right.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 13, 2024

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Taear posted:

There are some actual problems in the localisation like some ability/item descriptions are wrong but thats not what people are mad about.

The game has other issues that have been discussed in the thread if you want a more reasonable idea cause yeah the general reviews are tainted by idiots making up things to be mad about.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

It's the latter (or rather complaints about it being 'woke.')

Like, unironically and 100%, the spark point for it was someone going "They changed so much in the translation (because I used an AI translator to translate the text onscreen and it didn't say the same thing.)" However it's largely an expansion of the "they made the game WOKE" complaints that were coming out pre-release because it had a black woman in a prominent role in it.

Complaining about "wokealization" is just the latest fad. I'm in a translator discord and it seems like there's a new controversy every other day, only a few of which manage to filter out into the public consciousness. For every Eiyuden, there's like five more obscure games that someone made the same complaint about.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

and they buy and play them anyway

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

There are some actual problems in the localisation like some ability/item descriptions are wrong but thats not what people are mad about.

The game has other issues that have been discussed in the thread if you want a more reasonable idea cause yeah the general reviews are tainted by idiots making up things to be mad about.

No I've played and finished the game, I know the other issues - it's just I have no way to know if the translation issue is "rargh there's a black person" or "this fundamentally changes a character" that's all

Also, there's a thread? Or do you mean this thread

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

and they buy and play them anyway

To be honest a lot of them probably don't or genuinely don't even know what the game is besides A New Target For THE WOKE ANGER.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Taear posted:

No I've played and finished the game, I know the other issues - it's just I have no way to know if the translation issue is "rargh there's a black person" or "this fundamentally changes a character" that's all

the translation issue is that a character gets called a chud at one point

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

which, admittedly, is kind of eye rolling for the context but lol at the reaction it caused

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest a lot of them probably don't or genuinely don't even know what the game is besides A New Target For THE WOKE ANGER.

Yes, these things tend to get started by people who don't even play the video games.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

it is in fact possible for white people to say 'hikari.'

Okay yeah fine. I mean, most people would pronounce the "ri" wrong (since the Japanese "r"-ish sound is a little weird), but in a way that wouldn't be jarring at all. There'd basically be a bunch of stuff similar to Ryuji being pronounced "ri-u-ji" in P5, but that's not really a problem in that game (and it's something 99% of players wouldn't even notice).

I'm trying to throw the localization/dub people a bone here, even though I dislike it personally.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

By that logic you should be expecting the player to just play in Japanese though, because localization is going to "meddle" just through adaptation from one language to another.

I do wish they'd at least also change the text if you use the Japanese voices, though, since it's jarring to constantly hear one name and see a completely different one.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 13, 2024

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Hades 'controversy' (about how they made Aphrodite look 'like a man' to force woke trans into videogames) all is whining about her Hades 1 art, while claiming it's about Hades 2 so it's like. Extremely obvious none of these idiots even know what the game is.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Are they even talking about Eiyuden anymore, I thought they had all moved on to whining about Hades 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The Hades 'controversy' (about how they made Aphrodite look 'like a man' to force woke trans into videogames) all is whining about her Hades 1 art, while claiming it's about Hades 2 so it's like. Extremely obvious none of these idiots even know what the game is.

... the literally naked super-curvy woman whose face is literally designed to look like statues of Aphrodite?

I am not sure these people know what a woman is besides something to be angry about.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

aphrodite has perfect patrician features and frankly I envy her for it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

... the literally naked super-curvy woman whose face is literally designed to look like statues of Aphrodite?

Yes, she has a "man face" according to their ringleader.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

If they did a little more research they could instead complain about Chaos who is very explicitly nonbinary.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Incel whiners are the aboslute worst.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
was very funny seeing someone compare it with the take on aphrodite from shuumatsu no valkyrie... the netflix anime. the. the really bad shuumatsu no valkyrie netflix anime. the shuumatsu no valkyrie netflix anime that got widespread criticism because it's terribly animated and not as well drawn or fun to look at as the manga. the anime that specifically makes all of the women less funny and expressive for no reason

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway square enix is announcing a shift to focusing on multiplatform releases so i guess they either decided sony wasn't paying them enough or sony decided to pay them less and they decided it's not worth keeping it up anymore. either way... gamer win!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ah yes that anime

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I am not sure these people know what a woman is besides something to be angry about.

I stumbled across a Youtube video from this bizarre "sub-culture" a couple weeks ago, and from what I can tell these people don't seem to understand that "make-up" or "flattering photos" are a thing.

The video in question was trying to make the point that "men in video games realistically look like their actors (in situations where they're based off someone, like Idris Elba in Cyberpunk), while women are made uglier than their real-life appearance." It then proceeded to compare the game men with clips from videos of their real-life actors (to show how they look the same), while comparing the game women with modeling portrait photos of their actors (to supposedly prove that they were made "more ugly").

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I have a painting in my house that gets uglier while my warcraft man stays beautiful forever

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Same, but instead of a painting it's a mirror

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the people should stop coopting the sexy video game women. if they really cared they have a legacy of more than 30 years of video games about sexy women. rather than flailing in anger at the trends of the present, one should study up on history. you cannot understand where we are now if you don't know the roots of ikki tousen or oneechanbara

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yes, she has a "man face" according to their ringleader.

jesus, these people are so unserious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the video game scholar who specializes specifically in the riho futaba saga of the simple 2000 series