Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Since 2016 the only film in the Disney canon that wasn't a stinker or forgettable mediocrity was Encanto. If they still want to keep this franchise going, they're going to have unleash the big guns.

I'm of course talking about Jose and Panchito.

Still time for Zootopia to get in and give us adorable little furry Sora.

Also they haven't done most of the Pixar films yet so Wall-E or The Incredibles.

Edit: Also they could do Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers and have a chance to make Ugly Sonic canon to the KH universe.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Since 2016 the only film in the Disney canon that wasn't a stinker or forgettable mediocrity was Encanto. If they still want to keep this franchise going, they're going to have unleash the big guns.
50/50 odds kh4 does mcu and star wars

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Glad that Star Wars fans might finally get something good

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Amphibia would be cool, but iirc Nomura would prefer not to use the tv shows if possible.

A shame, because we could have had a whole game just set in Toontown.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They're going to scrape the barrel sooner or later.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 13, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I want to try out scarlet nexus just based on its director's enthusiasm (he's apparently back to working on Tales). He's been tweeting a pic related to the game every day for over three years now

https://x.com/shibainu_kenji/status/1699256189224456559

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope he gets to make his sequel

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
huh. well i guess it's good that there is a single human being who is enthusiastic about scarlet nexus.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
"back working on tales" is an optimistic statement about a series bandai namco has had nothing to say about for three years outside of a throwaway cash grab dlc with less budget behind it than gundam evolution

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Rinkles posted:

I want to try out scarlet nexus just based on its director's enthusiasm (he's apparently back to working on Tales). He's been tweeting a pic related to the game every day for over three years now

Well it's better than XB2 I would say.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Colonel posted:

also if you're by any chance thinking of a separate xseed translator who went nuts, that other guy was the rare professional industry translator who actually does have the censorship brainrot and got mad that xseed decided to alter a joke in an akiba's trip spinoff nobody played because there was a sign that said kkk witches and they contacted the devs, and the devs stated they were not aware of the kkk and were fine with this being altered. so the one guy chose to have his name struck from all xseed credits forever afterwards for some reason. nobody pressured him into this he just chose to do it, as A Statement

lol Tom "wyrdward" is a fuckin creep

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Colonel posted:

"back working on tales" is an optimistic statement about a series bandai namco has had nothing to say about for three years outside of a throwaway cash grab dlc with less budget behind it than gundam evolution

that was based on this interview from last year

──逆に、『スカネク』で得た知見などが『テイルズ オブ』シリーズに還元されるということは起きているのでしょうか? 穴吹さんは現在、『テイルズ オブ』シリーズを統括する立場にいるとお聞きしました。

穴吹氏:
     そうですね。『スカネク』を開発していた頃は一時的に離れていたのですが、ちょうど今まさに『テイルズ オブ』シリーズを統括するグループのリーダーを担当させてもらっています。その上で、今は『テイルズ オブ』シリーズの開発に携わっています。

https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/in...%81%99%E3%80%82

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
would be nice if they'd say anything about a game already!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Any time I've heard about Arise it's either something about damage sponge enemies or somehow screwing up the message that racism is bad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont care about arise. thats why i want to see the new one, to see if it is one i will care about. arise can stay where it is and be arise, give me tales of new

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Meowywitch posted:

lol Tom "wyrdward" is a fuckin creep

The weird thing about that guy is that unlike most people who are way way way too into anti-censorship as a movement is that AFAIK there are no hints of their bugbear being wokeness or thinnly veiled homophobia/transphobia. They just seem to be an Otaku who has made "freedom of speech" their hyperfixation.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wrt localizations and nerds deciding they can do better because they checked Google Translate, one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen was that someone took Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and went localization “purist” with it to the point of making a more literal fan patch for it. In a world where Fire Emblem Fates exists. I’m kinda fascinated how many games with quality localizations got fan patches when, like, actual bad localizations exist, because I know someone made one/is making one for NEO: The World Ends With You too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Wrt localizations and nerds deciding they can do better because they checked Google Translate, one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen was that someone took Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and went localization “purist” with it to the point of making a more literal fan patch for it. In a world where Fire Emblem Fates exists. I’m kinda fascinated how many games with quality localizations got fan patches when, like, actual bad localizations exist, because I know someone made one/is making one for NEO: The World Ends With You too.

this would be an act of vandalism

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

mycot posted:

The weird thing about that guy is that unlike most people who are way way way too into anti-censorship as a movement is that AFAIK there are no hints of their bugbear being wokeness or thinnly veiled homophobia/transphobia. They just seem to be an Otaku who has made "freedom of speech" their hyperfixation.

yeah he's not like an outright horrible person or anything he's just. very, very stupid. he took an understandable stance (censorship is bad) and took it to an insane extreme (it's bad that nobody else in the studio cares about correcting our approach with displaying ages for senran kagura characters now that we're four games in and nobody has a reason to care anymore, this is the beginning of the systematic breakdown of artistic integrity)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also one time i found a review he wrote on gamefaqs for mr. driller g in like 2001 where he complained that the game was too hard. and mr. driller g is pretty hard but. that man did not have any idea how to play mr. driller g. dude was talking like this was the most unbelievably punishing bullshit hard game of the century, the crash bandicoot of dark souls. also the metaphor of calling it a gold-plated turd was some maximum 2000s internet stuff

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Last Celebration posted:

I often think of the fan translation of Bahamut Lagoon and it seemed honestly pretty great. I think only a few people did that and it came across (just in dialogues explaining how poo poo works) way better than Troubleshooter does

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Please nobody tell me if the fan translation of Mother 3 is bad because I loved that poo poo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

yeah he's not like an outright horrible person or anything he's just. very, very stupid. he took an understandable stance (censorship is bad) and took it to an insane extreme (it's bad that nobody else in the studio cares about correcting our approach with displaying ages for senran kagura characters now that we're four games in and nobody has a reason to care anymore, this is the beginning of the systematic breakdown of artistic integrity)

props to him for standing by his principles, but his principles are really loving stupid

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Thinking of Bahamut Lagoon it's quite weird to me that they've not either done a remaster/remake (trials of mana style) of it.
SRPG with class advancement and also dragons that you feed/evolve? It seems like it'd be a huge hit, even now.

And in checking up into it a new fan translation was released in 2021 by a person who later killed themselves over harassment. Grim.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Please nobody tell me if the fan translation of Mother 3 is bad because I loved that poo poo

The fan translation of Mother 3 is great, genuinely.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Taear posted:

Thinking of Bahamut Lagoon it's quite weird to me that they've not either done a remaster/remake (trials of mana style) of it.
SRPG with class advancement and also dragons that you feed/evolve? It seems like it'd be a huge hit, even now.

And in checking up into it a new fan translation was released in 2021 by a person who later killed themselves over harassment. Grim.

I dont remember it being particularly good, like, mechanically but also I want it to exist in our new upset about things "woke is whatever makes me upset" world regarding the kidnapped lady's affections.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The fan translation of Mother 3 is great, genuinely.

Hell yeah

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Edit: Wrong thread.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Harrow posted:

it's fine. no real reason for anyone to make a new one, i don't think we'll get better than what we got there

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looked up Forspoken on How Long to Beat and I think I'm the target for their weak design choices to cheaply extend game length.

Well you got me game!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some of tomato's earlier work has problems but that's mostly cause he was running in the regular 90s/2000s snes fan tl circles, it's not actually a problem with, his work, specifically. the old bahamut lagoon tl is funny cause everything weird about it is explained by the other guy outright stating he just made bullshit up for it instead of trying to stay remotely faithful

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

those halcyon days of there being like six different 10% translations of legend of the super saiyan and they all had copious amounts of swearing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

those halcyon days of there being like six different 10% translations of legend of the super saiyan and they all had copious amounts of swearing

Nothing says mature and adult like curse words, sex, or curse words about having sex added to your translation under the racist sounding translation group name moniker you've chosen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

Nothing says mature and adult like curse words, sex, or curse words about having sex added to your translation under the racist sounding translation group name moniker you've chosen.

gently caress!! raditz!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

gently caress!! raditz!!

no thanks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I bet Arche fucks like a tiger

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I wonder what draws the purist types to Echoes of all games? I had an experience on twitter about a month ago where I was talking about Fire Emblem Echoes and how I really liked one of the early scenes and thought 8-4 did a great job with the writing for a character, and some random people tried to tweet at me saying that 8-4 sucks by showing me random lines from Fire Emblem Echoes with the japanese text, "literal" translation, and then the official text in the EN version. I just blocked them since I didn't feel like wasting any energy explaining to them how I can read Japanese and didn't really give a poo poo what they had to say, but it was a very bizarre interaction.

genuinely if anyone's interested in the localization process, I really recommend the third Legends of Localization book about Undertale. It has lots of snippets of production files and emails from 8-4 and Toby Fox talking about how to best translate Undertale to Japanese. If nothing else, it'll make you realize just how many obscure references to old games Toby Fox has in his head

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
probably because it is a remake of a game from before "woke localization" so thats a really easy angle to go for with it lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Purists (or, at least that specific subcategory) hate the idea of localization on a fundamental level because they’ve conflated actual legitimately dubious localizations with literally any time someone says something that’s not 1:1 to the original script, and are also very, very stupid because they often just use machine translations. You’ll notice people who are, you know, actually qualified to speak on the matter don’t sound like zealots and actually make reasonable arguments, or just don’t really have the same disdain for official translations that are generally considered really good, and that those purists tend to ignore actually dubious game scripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think for the "furiously site-searching Twitter for '8-4' and replying to everyone who shows up" crazy person the high of outrage comes before any interest in the game. There's probably some viral post about Echos's translation that is easy to copy the caps from and argue with people.

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 14, 2024