Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

the crash bandicoot of dark souls

what the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Let me just machine translate the book La Disparition*. Look, it called it The Disappearance, this is definitely the same work just in English and nothing has been lost already that fully undermines the work.

*English Translated title: A Void go check it out. This post is a plug, surprise

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i hold a petty grudge against 8-4 for their bizarre butchering of gunvolt 1's script in its original release but they still produce excellent work overall and i'd never be sad to see they're working on something

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm not sure what happened with Fates and who was responsible, but it was oddly screwed with from all I remember

but I mean that's not what truly made the game bad, so, lol...

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
half the issue with fates, and why echo eventually got the weird treatment, is it took a year for it to release globally so the fans were touching the japanese version and bootleg translating it, and had all these notions with it from these... questionable translations, and the equally questionable localization choices

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
staff staff

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

i think the people should stop coopting the sexy video game women. if they really cared they have a legacy of more than 30 years of video games about sexy women. rather than flailing in anger at the trends of the present, one should study up on history. you cannot understand where we are now if you don't know the roots of ikki tousen or oneechanbara

All game women should look like my waifu gatchas! :goonsay:

Another part of the Aphrodite thing of is extremely online fans of Stellar Blade getting sore at people poking fun at Stellar Blade's fanservice protagonist and trying to find a counterargument in "but Aphrodite is naked therefore you're just as bad/wrong".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

8-4's localization style is a little loose. Sometimes I disagree with choices they make. Largely their translations are very good but occasionally they can get a bit too goofy. Echoes is pretty banal in this regard but there's a few places where they're trying a bit too hard with the punch up. People take those lines out in a vacuum and parade them around as the worst thing ever instead of 4-5 lines in a game with a hundred thousand lines of dialog being slightly overcooked.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Another part of the Aphrodite thing of is extremely online fans of Stellar Blade getting sore at people poking fun at Stellar Blade's fanservice protagonist and trying to find a counterargument in "but Aphrodite is naked therefore you're just as bad/wrong".
i mean those people are right the people who are like 'hades is good horny, unlike stellar blade' are extremely stupid

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

half the issue with fates, and why echo eventually got the weird treatment, is it took a year for it to release globally so the fans were touching the japanese version and bootleg translating it, and had all these notions with it from these... questionable translations, and the equally questionable localization choices
largely fates's translation was just, extremely bad, on every level, tbh. it is probably one of the worst post-2010 translations of a major game release. maybe even the worst? its only real competition is some of the NISA TLs but those got patched

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like Hades and would like Stellar Blade to release on steam

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stellar Blade looks kinda boring 7/10 but its not a roguelite as far as I know so its automatically the superior game to Hades 2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

stellar blade was decent but i feel like all the good writers went to their mobile game (nikke) because that can actually do some funny, genuinely interesting storytelling stuff that doesnt really clash that much with the like, for lack of a better term, aesthetic, while stellar blade's plot was just kinda there. there's something with the idea of her being a tool but they like, never go anywhere with it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

stellar blade is definitely a lot better on the gameplay front than the story front yeah

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They're going to scrape the barrel sooner or later.

It's been decades since I read the weekly Donald Duck magazine in my country, but I remember every now and then it had Brother/Br'er Rabbit comics and I'd almost describe them as wholesome. I imagine most Europeans also were just entirely unaware of the historical/oral traditions the character came from and with Song of the South not being available it was just firmly disconnected from any context. To both the writers and the readers.

I think they changed it so that the forest and plains in the comics were near Duckburg? It's weird, because I don't remember crossovers with the weekly Donald Duck comics or any signs that it was in the 20th century. So yeah, it kind of existed without even acknowledging its roots. Apparently they stopped producing/repeating Br'er Rabbit comics since 2021 tho. Seems that Disney was done with that remnant Song of the South reference still being kept alive, regardless of how it was used.

The (Dutch) Donald Duck magazine also occasionally featured comics starring José Carioca and Panchito Pistoles from "The Three Caballeros". I wonder if those two still make appearances these days.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Br'er Rabbit is rooted in folklore and predates the movie, but good luck expecting him any kind of comeback.

To this day I'm not sure if Goofy's death was meant to be a dramatic moment. The first thing people know about him is that he's had a piano dropped on his head at least twice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its meant to be a joke i think. like theyre playing this big dramatic battle scene with every major character in the story really straight but half the characters are mickey mouse and donald duck, so they goof on it a little. like in a normal jrpg a character dying there, or a fakeout death, would be pretty normal, but in this case goofy actively points out that he has things dropped on his head all the time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I'm kinda mixed on this, but mostly support the localization name changes.

The thing to keep in mind is that many different VAs need to be saying the more prominent ones constantly. So changing Homura/Hikari and the various Torna folks' names* makes sense with this in mind. Do you really want to hear a bunch of English people poorly saying "Hikari" for 60 hours? So they came up with English names that carry the same theme (though IMO they hosed up Malos, since there's a big conceptual difference between "destruction" and "evil"). Some others would also sound a little weird in English, like the nation names. Gormott/Uraya/Mor Ardain are Gula/Invidia/Superbia, for example. You can kinda see the issue there. "Gula" sounds a little weird, Invidia sounds like the GPU manufacturer, and Superbia also sounds kinda weird.

I was very happy to find a patch that delocalizes the names for emulation, though. The difference was always pretty jarring with the Japanese VA.

* speaking of this, I think all Blades have Japanese-style names, so this would be a kind of major hint about Torna in the Japanese version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RKkRCiU90

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of the main characters in Octopath 2 is named Hikari and it is never an issue in the English voice acting

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The idea that westerners are just too dang stupid to be able to comprehend anything from the mysterious orient sucks and I thought we got rid of that poo poo after the 00s but I guess not.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Br'er Rabbit is rooted in folklore and predates the movie, but good luck expecting him any kind of comeback.

To this day I'm not sure if Goofy's death was meant to be a dramatic moment. The first thing people know about him is that he's had a piano dropped on his head at least twice.

It's a joke. Goofy literally points out that he gets hit on the head all the time when he gets back and Sora mickey and Donald all go "haha Oooooh yeaaaaaah." Couldn't be more obvious a bit than Goofy himself pointing it out.

It's meant to insoire the same arc of emotion mickey goes through in the play, set up to be a dramatic that gets you through the next corridor of fights and then in retrospect seem very silly.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 14, 2024

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The idea that westerners are just too dang stupid to be able to comprehend anything from the mysterious orient sucks and I thought we got rid of that poo poo after the 00s but I guess not.

i remember seeing one gamefaqs post about xb2 where someone said more westerners would know that homura meant fire than pyra did

no other forum really compares, even in this decade

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean Homura -> Pyra preserves the easy-to-understand meaning of "fire," but then changing Hikari to Mythra buries the fact that the names are linked to light under mythological references, so it's not really a step up on understandability for westerners

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that post is dumb for homura -> pyra, but like i said i guarantee more westerners know hikari means light than know mythra means light.

like loving, megaman battle network on the gba, was able to trust hat its audience of 7 year olds in the early 2000s would know that hikari means light.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I have to admit I'd never heard of that one until this conversation, is there some reason we should know the Japanese word for light?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

No Dignity posted:

I have to admit I'd never heard of that one until this conversation, is there some reason we should know the Japanese word for light?

Anime, basically. I am not sure assuming it is really appropriate for an English translation, but Mythra is clearly too obscure. Maybe they should have gone with something like Luxa? But I may be overestimating how many people would get the Latin root, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Dignity posted:

its not like, this 100% common word that every westerner would know like tsunami or whatever, its more just that its a very common japanese word that comes up a fair bit in japanese media as a name. so if you have that much exposure to japanese media you might know it. compared to mythra which,

quote:

The English name, Mythra, alludes to Mitra, a reconstructed name of a Proto-Indo-Iranian Divinity, from whom derived Mitrá, Rigvedic name of a Indo-Aryan Divinity representing in time the Oath, Friendship, or (eye of, light of) the morning sun; and Mithra, Avestan name of a Zoroastrian angelic Divinity (yazata) of Covenant, Light and Oath.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you absolutely must change their names than the meaning should be immediately obvious. homura and hikari are just the words for fire and light, they arent obscure at all and arent obfuscated in any real way.

Ember and Dawn.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Outside like Phoenix Wright I really don't think there's any reason to westernize names in something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Outside like Phoenix Wright I really don't think there's any reason to westernize names in something.

even in phoenix wright's case there's an argument against it but yeah. occasionally names can have cultural context in the west that might justify a name change (i will forgive the fe fates tl for changing the name 'benoit' for instance.) but thats pretty rare with japanese names.

the weirdest case is fe fates changing japanese names to... other japanese names. why did they change yugiri to reina.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Endorph posted:

if you absolutely must change their names than the meaning should be immediately obvious. homura and hikari are just the words for fire and light, they arent obscure at all and arent obfuscated in any real way.

Ember and Dawn.

That's the peach, I like it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

even in phoenix wright's case there's an argument against it but yeah. occasionally names can have cultural context in the west that might justify a name change (i will forgive the fe fates tl for changing the name 'benoit' for instance.) but thats pretty rare with japanese names.

the weirdest case is fe fates changing japanese names to... other japanese names. why did they change yugiri to reina.

Fates really was part of that era where Treehouse meddled for the sake of meddling. Not due to any sort of "woke agenda" nonsense or anything. I remember one of them going on twitter and saying they view "leaving their mark" as one of the most important jobs of a localizer which like...Well you end up with stuff like that just because they can point at it and say "I did that"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Ember and Dawn would've been better than Pyra and Mythra

I can understand changing names in translation in an attempt to make sure multiple audiences can understand puns, for example, or in the case of something like Pokemon where some of their names are literally just "Ghost" and that doesn't come across nearly as interestingly in English.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Trying to imagine a world where pikachu got an English pun name

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Gen 1 Pokemon also had quite a few names that were extremely similar to each other which would have extra confusing to new English players, like Jolteon being Thunders and Zapdos being Thunder.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Fates really was part of that era where Treehouse meddled for the sake of meddling. Not due to any sort of "woke agenda" nonsense or anything. I remember one of them going on twitter and saying they view "leaving their mark" as one of the most important jobs of a localizer which like...Well you end up with stuff like that just because they can point at it and say "I did that"

That feels like they didn't value their own jobs. Rendering a creative work in a different language well is hard and ought to be celebrated on its own!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

a good translation will leave its mark anyway even without going out of your way to try. like the cold steel 1/2 TLs are very faithful but they still have their own distinct flavor compared to the JP and do a lot to bring out the personality the original devs were going for without overreaching. insisting on weird changes just for the sake of iti s basically just admitting you dont have the skill to leave your mark in an actual meaningful way.

Harrow posted:

Yeah Ember and Dawn would've been better than Pyra and Mythra

I can understand changing names in translation in an attempt to make sure multiple audiences can understand puns, for example, or in the case of something like Pokemon where some of their names are literally just "Ghost" and that doesn't come across nearly as interestingly in English.
pokemons an interesting case because while the creatures continue to get name changes, the actual characters have had name changes much less. Scarlet/Violet only has like 5/6, and of those one is a guy named Heather being changed to Heath, which is a case of a relatively understandable name change since it's a bit boy named sue. (I'm still against it, but I can at least get the logic.)

Heck, even the pokemon have gotten their names changed slightly less. Miraidon probably would have had its name changed to Futuride in Gen 1/2. (Mirai is the Japanese word for Future.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

pokemons an interesting case because while the creatures continue to get name changes, the actual characters have had name changes much less. Scarlet/Violet only has like 5/6, and of those one is a guy named Heather being changed to Heath, which is a case of a relatively understandable name change since it's a bit boy named sue. (I'm still against it, but I can at least get the logic.)

Heck, even the pokemon have gotten their names changed slightly less. Miraidon probably would have had its name changed to Futuride in Gen 1/2. (Mirai is the Japanese word for Future.)

Oh yeah that's a good point, I didn't think about how Koraidon and Miraidon kept their Japanese names. I bet Koraidon would've been like "Historidon" or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont think the average consumer would know what Hikari means, but the average consumer isn't playing a videogame on a console much less Xenoblade 2 so who cares.

Rinkles posted:

Trying to imagine a world where pikachu got an English pun name

I dont know what you're talking about. Its Pika+Chunky which is what that little tub o fluff is in gen 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I think barely any legendaries ever get name changes beyond the Gen 1 birds, I think maybe the Tapus because the JP names are the Hawaiian words for “holy [animal]” (because Nintendo) and “tapu” is the word for “sacred”. Oh, and those momotaro animals from the DLC I think if you count those? Imho it’s kinda neat how leaving them largely untranslated gives them their own distinctness.