Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Alxprit posted:

Noko is E, you can get him almost immediately if you're willing to be patient. There's a side path by Shoten Temple in the breezy hills area which you can get to as soon as you start on the first watch upgrade. If you go in there, you should see a field of vegetables. Noko can spawn there rarely, if you exit and enter the area repeatedly you'll be able to tell when he's there when the Yo-kai on the bottom level is stationary in the top area instead of walking around near the left. Chasing him down to catch is a bit tricky with how fast he moves, and if you run into any other Yo-kai while you're trying to get him a different one will spawn or nothing will spawn at all when you return to the field. Personally, I recommend saving and reloading if you don't get him in your first few tries, since it might throw you off to have such high levels from beating it, but that's just me. I have a Noko on my team, and I haven't taken him out even though he's not AMAZING or anything. But I think he has the potential to evolve, I just haven't found the way to do so yet.

Following up to this now that I've played a bit more. There are two spots in the medallium for Noko forms. The first is obtained by fusing it with an item that Noko occasionally drops after battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Geektox posted:

It's so families/kids/siblings can share one system/cart I'd imagine

Works for me! It's exactly what I'd hoped it would be.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So are there no good metroidvania games for 3DS? It looks like the only options are regular ds games?

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

MMD3 posted:

So are there no good metroidvania games for 3DS? It looks like the only options are regular ds games?

Cave story

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

MMD3 posted:

I was in this spot recently. Picked up used copies of Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin.

I'm 100% confident this is the correct solution.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah just play the 3 Castlevanias for DS, you'll have enough to last you a few months.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

MMD3 posted:

Get Shovel Knight

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

or just download it on pc for free.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manky posted:

Get Shovel Knight

Shovel Knight isn't a Metroidvania.

(Get Shovel Knight anyway)

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

MMD3 posted:

Yeah a new metroid game is coming out next year

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Shovel Knight isn't a Metroidvania.

(Get Shovel Knight anyway)

I'm not going to edit wikipedia to agree with me but yes, it is

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manky posted:

I'm not going to edit wikipedia to agree with me but yes, it is

Do you also think that Mega Man is a metroidvania?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Do you also think that Mega Man is a metroidvania?

Doesn't really bear any resemblance to castlevania, unlike SK, so no

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
shovel knight doesn't have you going back to previous areas with later abilities to find new areas, which i think is a defining thing for metroidvanias.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Manky posted:

Doesn't really bear any resemblance to castlevania, unlike SK, so no

The Castlevanias referenced in the term Metroidvania are Symphony of the Night and ones which copy its format though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i don't think manky knows what a metroidvania is

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Shameful

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

A rare case of Metroidvania where the game is less Metroid and more (classic) Castlevania.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

BougieBitch posted:

Following up to this now that I've played a bit more. There are two spots in the medallium for Noko forms. The first is obtained by fusing it with an item that Noko occasionally drops after battle.

Oh, JOY. One more thing to hope I get luckily. I bet it's not even that good.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

absolutely anything posted:

i don't think manky knows what a metroidvania is

A miserable pile of secrets, obviously

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm amazed they haven't re-released SotN on 3DS yet with fancy new 3D effects.

You know, because they haven't milked that one dry yet. :shepface:

(I would unironically buy that poo poo and play it again for the 20th time if they did this)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Level Slide posted:

A rare case of Metroidvania where the game is less Metroid and more (classic) Castlevania.

Classic Castlevanias aren't metroidvanias though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fuzz posted:

I'm amazed they haven't re-released SotN on 3DS yet with fancy new 3D effects.

You know, because they haven't milked that one dry yet. :shepface:

(I would unironically buy that poo poo and play it again for the 20th time if they did this)

I'm sorry but I don't think Konami knows what a video game is anymore.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Policenaut posted:

I'm sorry but I don't think Konami knows what a video game is anymore.

A free to play cell phone game with lives on a timer and a pay to win in-app store.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Metroidvania is a stupid name

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

I can't wait for symphony of the night pachinko

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

African AIDS cum posted:

Metroidvania is a stupid name

castletroid

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I believe the correct term is actually Igavania

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
I think Shantae and the Pirate's Curse qualifies.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Manky posted:

A miserable pile of secrets, obviously

Not a bad definition... and with a relevant gaming reference to boot!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Immer posted:

It's more of a Wonderboy game really

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Immer posted:

Nah its level design isn't tight enough

Cave Story is very very good but it also isn't really the same thing

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
your mom isn't tight enough. pirate's curse is loving great in every way. pure 10/10

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Manky posted:

Get Shovel Knight

yeah, I played Shovel Knight on PS4, really fun game but not quite the depth I'd think of from a typical metroidvania. I'll have to give the 3 DS games a go. I played the GBA ones and really liked them back when.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Hatsune Miku is poo poo trash garbage gently caress you sega

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Project Mirai is top 5 3DS games easily

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So since there's no Yo-kai Watch topic and there are a few people chatting about it: Does combat get better? I like the game for the most part but the whole random combat thing just quietly grates on me like an annoying background sound. Maybe it's just because I only have crappy low level dudes and they get stomped by all the random encounters unless I pull off a super move ASAP.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I dunno, her rhythm games are pretty good.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Nuebot posted:

So since there's no Yo-kai Watch topic and there are a few people chatting about it: Does combat get better? I like the game for the most part but the whole random combat thing just quietly grates on me like an annoying background sound. Maybe it's just because I only have crappy low level dudes and they get stomped by all the random encounters unless I pull off a super move ASAP.

there are books you find that you use to change your yo-kai's attitudes, which makes them more likely to use certain moves.

grouchy/rough=attack
logical/brainy=magic
gentle/tender=healing
careful/calm=guarding
twisted/cruel=debuffs
helpful/devoted=buffs

also the serious life magazines make them less likely to waste turns. other than that i guess keep gaining levels and see if you like it more later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Project Mirai is top 5 3DS games easily

You're human waste.

Its god drat garbage with 75% of the music sounding like something composed by a broken yamaha keyboard.

The quality of the Hatsune Miku game is, without hyperbole, on par with the PS2 Britney's Dance Beat game. The benefit of the Britney's Dance Beat game is that the music is song by an actual human.