Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Batman should have a love affair with an orphaned Batgirl he takes under his wing and fall in love and be normal and at peace. Then Alfred can point out through her he finally learned to love himself and come to terms with everything. Then Batman can fall to his knees and have a good cry before shunning it all for the life of the Bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yes, batman should gently caress the orphan he becomes guardian of

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zzulu posted:

You gotta love Batman if only for the bizarre roads he leads you down. What's it gonna be today? Stalking and physically assaulting the mentally ill? Buying orphans to groom for sex?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Wouldnt be the first time

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They can get around the morality of it by swapping sidekicks. Ollie fucks batgirl and Bruce fucks Artemis. Everything is above board.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I want an older than Bruce Batwoman to seduce Bruce when he's most vulnerable

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Dude that's his cousin.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

greatn posted:

Dude that's his cousin.

*nods knowingly*

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

hopefully I shouldn't have to preface she'd be older than 20 and didn't imply guardian so much as pupil but...eh...Batmans a creepy gently caress to begin with I guess

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Timby posted:

I think the change really became noticeable when they switched to HD (which is also when that new opening sequence came out).

It's actually really odd that HD seemed to mark a 'reduction' in detail rather than an increase. The animations are far less expressive, and the backgrounds seem to carry less little details in them. It's like the need to increase the definition of each frame without having the budget to match seems like trying to put out a feature animated film without the resources to actually do it.

I'm sure there are more than a few examples that could really benefit artistically by going back to an older style.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's really hosed up is that going digital should have freed them up to do more, not less, but guess where those gains went...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

*nods knowingly*

And she's a lesbian. Unless that was a trait they dropped with the new Detective Comics line.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's really hosed up is that going digital should have freed them up to do more, not less, but guess where those gains went...

I was going to say the voice cast, but then I remembered that everyone accepted a pretty significant pay cut a few years ago because Fox was starting to test replacement actors.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jimbot posted:

And she's a lesbian. Unless that was a trait they dropped with the new Detective Comics line.

It's funny that now Batwoman is one of the few comic book characters that has a fixed point in her timeline, like Captain America. All the other superheros stay roughly the same age, their backstories occasionally updated to fit with the times. But Captain America always fought in WW2, and Batwoman will always have been kicked out of the Marines under DADT.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The principal VO's on The Simpsons are richer than Croesus, true. But I gotta imagine a lot of that is just wooing the celebrity of the moment, too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The principal VO's on The Simpsons are richer than Croesus, true. But I gotta imagine a lot of that is just wooing the celebrity of the moment, too.

They actually don't get all that much anymore, relatively speaking. Since 2011, they've been making about $300,000 per episode as a result of that pay cut I mentioned (Fox was threatening to replace them or cancel the show).

For comparison, fifteen years ago, John Mahoney and David Hyde Pierce were both making $720,000 an episode on Frasier, while Kelsey Grammer was making $1.6 million.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Fox should have made good and cancelled the drat show. It's not like it won't go into syndication.

Also, holy poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Also, holy poo poo.

While Grammer, Mahoney and Pierce were getting those paychecks, Jane Leeves was pulling about $50,000 per episode (until the final two seasons, when she got a bump up to $280k) and Peri Gilpin's pay was in the same terrible neighborhood.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Sorry toots, you are literally worth 1/32th of a Kelsey Grammar. *chomps cigar*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lol, that's some bump. Whoops, we forgot to pay you six and a half times what we were before.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jimbot posted:

They didn't. She's still about the highest profile LGBT hero in DC or Marvel comics that I know of, unless you count Wonder Woman's occasional flirtations with bisexuality that sooner or later get snapped back to nope she's 100% straight.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lol, that's some bump. Whoops, we forgot to pay you six and a half times what we were before.

It just goes to show how different casts work differently with one another. On Friends, when it came time to renegotiate contracts, the cast finally decided (I think Jennifer Aniston was the final holdout who finally relented) that they were going to be in it together, and they'd only sign a deal if everyone got the same pay and perks. On Star Trek, Leonard Nimoy offered to take a pay cut if it meant the money would go to the Doohan / Takei / Nichols / Koenig group. On Frasier, conversely, it was everyone on their own -- although Gilpin and Leeves are best friends, the godmothers to each other's children and lived next-door to each other for years.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cythereal posted:

They didn't. She's still about the highest profile LGBT hero in DC or Marvel comics that I know of, unless you count Wonder Woman's occasional flirtations with bisexuality that sooner or later get snapped back to nope she's 100% straight.

What about Renee Montoya aka The Question? And didn't they make Alan Scott aka the first Green Lantern gay? Honestly I stopped reading comics about the time Flashpoint came out because I did not enjoy it as much.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What about Renee Montoya aka The Question? And didn't they make Alan Scott aka the first Green Lantern gay? Honestly I stopped reading comics about the time Flashpoint came out because I did not enjoy it as much.

The Question is a much less known character than Batwoman. She had a five issue mini-series years ago, Batwoman has a much more popular long running series and a new Batwoman series is about to start

And people weren't thrilled about Alan Scott being tured gay because they erased his existing gay son to do it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Timby posted:

They actually don't get all that much anymore, relatively speaking. Since 2011, they've been making about $300,000 per episode as a result of that pay cut I mentioned (Fox was threatening to replace them or cancel the show).

For comparison, fifteen years ago, John Mahoney and David Hyde Pierce were both making $720,000 an episode on Frasier, while Kelsey Grammer was making $1.6 million.

Do they also get residuals, or do they fall into the voice actor phantom zone of contract work?

Guy Goodbody posted:

And people weren't thrilled about Alan Scott being tured gay because they erased his existing gay son to do it.

Why did they need to erase his gay son to make him gay?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Timby posted:

It just goes to show how different casts work differently with one another. On Friends, when it came time to renegotiate contracts, the cast finally decided (I think Jennifer Aniston was the final holdout who finally relented) that they were going to be in it together, and they'd only sign a deal if everyone got the same pay and perks. On Star Trek, Leonard Nimoy offered to take a pay cut if it meant the money would go to the Doohan / Takei / Nichols / Koenig group. On Frasier, conversely, it was everyone on their own -- although Gilpin and Leeves are best friends, the godmothers to each other's children and lived next-door to each other for years.

I wonder if this has to do with Grammer's right leaning politics and general douchebaggery at all.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gyges posted:

It was part of a reboot, so presumably he just never had a son (or a daughter, for that matter) because he was gay.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Unless that's Barbara I appreciate he's got a heart for Jim. That and all the ladies. He also has Martha Wayne. What's that from?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Question is a much less known character than Batwoman. She had a five issue mini-series years ago, Batwoman has a much more popular long running series and a new Batwoman series is about to start

And the less said about the Harley/Poison Ivy tee hee lesbians moments, the better.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gatts posted:

Unless that's Barbara I appreciate he's got a heart for Jim. That and all the ladies. He also has Martha Wayne. What's that from?

The latest Teen Titans Go episode. And yes, that's for Jim Gordon. They hang out together a lot on the show.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It was part of a reboot, so presumably he just never had a son (or a daughter, for that matter) because he was gay.

that's loving stupid

my mother's gay that doesn't suddenly make me or my sister not exist

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gay people can have kids. Biological kids even.

Just because you're gay does not mean you are incapable of loving some one of the opposite gender. I think a lot of people tend to forget that when they write characters.

ESPECIALLY if Alan Scott is still from the past like he has been forever- gay people would get into loveless marriages all the time back when being gay was a hazardous thing, which it very well was in the 30s. Those marriages tended to result in at least A Kid even if no one involved enjoyed the process.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Zzulu posted:

Worked for Grover Cleveland.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burkion posted:

Gay people can have kids. Biological kids even.

Just because you're gay does not mean you are incapable of loving some one of the opposite gender. I think a lot of people tend to forget that when they write characters.

ESPECIALLY if Alan Scott is still from the past like he has been forever- gay people would get into loveless marriages all the time back when being gay was a hazardous thing, which it very well was in the 30s. Those marriages tended to result in at least A Kid even if no one involved enjoyed the process.

He's from an alternate dimension now and he's not old anymore either

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zzulu posted:

"All alone. Dick Grayson. Age 11."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gyges posted:

Do they also get residuals, or do they fall into the voice actor phantom zone of contract work?

Can't have too many gays. One gay is plenty, don't you know that?!?!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ungulateman posted:

that's loving stupid

my mother's gay that doesn't suddenly make me or my sister not exist

It would if you Back to the Futured your way out of existence by fundamentally changing the past, like Flashpoint. Hell, now the DC Universe has to listen to Calvin Klein's "Johnny Be Good".

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The old JSA is coming back soon anyway, so presumably, Alan Scott's son, Obsidian will return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Batman should just gently caress Batman and get it over with

• Locked thread