Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Am I nuts or did Cleveland absolutely fleece them?

I don't think it's a bad deal for Cleveland but they also could have probably gotten Butler or George instead if they had a GM in place when poo poo was going down.

gently caress, Gar Forman would have probably thrown in a bunch of picks too because he's a loving idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I remember Zizic getting some hype earlier in the year (he'd be a lottery pick if he came in this year!!) but he looked stiff and terrible in summer league when I watched him.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ronnie2K/status/900138582727286784

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

danny ainged fleecing the nets, living off the rep, only to get fleeced by rookie GM Kolby is gonna own a whole hell of a lot

I....I went to take a nap. What is going on

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I don't think it's a bad deal for Cleveland but they also could have probably gotten Butler or George instead if they had a GM in place when poo poo was going down.

gently caress, Gar Forman would have probably thrown in a bunch of picks too because he's a loving idiot.

They and a deal in place for George .

At least that's how I understand it

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Really bummed Kyrie is gone. His God tier handles are now going to be wowing the worst, shittiest, most racist, stupidest fanbase in the US

gently caress that pick, who cares.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't know much about how Boston's offense works, but it seems like it should be really well suited to Kyrie's score-first tendencies if he embraces the same role IT played, right? I do want to see him fully tap into his Big Game Kyrie potential on a more consistent basis.

I guess the big mystery is whether Kyrie fits into an offense that isn't just "break down the defense however you want to when Lebron isn't doing stuff"

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Congrats to the Cavs on their 5th #1 pick of the 2000's

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

I remember Zizic getting some hype earlier in the year (he'd be a lottery pick if he came in this year!!) but he looked stiff and terrible in summer league when I watched him.

Yeah he was real bad in summer league even though I kept trying to get excited about him

sum
Nov 15, 2010

imagine being IT and having all those extra assets thrown into a trade for a player that is worse than you

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

milk milk lemonade posted:

Really bummed Kyrie is gone. His God tier handles are now going to be wowing the worst, shittiest, most racist, stupidest fanbase in the US

gently caress that pick, who cares.

when did st. louis get a team again?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Can I get some info on Isaiah Thomas's hip? Like even if he's out until February that's fine for the Cavs

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Congrats to the Cavs on their 5th #1 pick of the 2000's

:rolleyes: Everyone wanted to talk about how the Nets are gonna win 30 games until the pick left boston

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
We got hosed in the rear end without lube. Good job, Danny! :bravo:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Glumslinger called in to furiously replace the cover of 2K 18 like in 1984

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
IT is good but Kyrie has destroyed him in every matchup they've ever played. Crowder is not going to share the court with Lebron in many lineups. Zizic isn't even an NBA player. 2018 nets pick doesn't matter if Cleveland loses Lebron leaves and their team dissolves. If that happens Boston owns the East for like five years.

Since everyone thinks Cleveland brutally won this trade talk me out of my insanity I guess.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Metapod posted:

so is lebron or crowder going to play the 4 full time ?

Have you heard of this Kevin Love guy?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

chunkles posted:

should probably hang onto that pick for after lebron goes to the rockets.

Yes, but that's not fun.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yikes that deal seems bad for what they should have been able to get for that before the draft. I think I was worried about IT being able to repeat his performance of the last year even without the hip injury so maybe I'm wrong though. Crowder did not seem like he wanted to be behind Hayward from his comments earlier in the season. I wonder what that locker room will be like next year for the Celtics though - only 1 returning starter from a team that went to the ECF.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
IT please do not be broken

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

Can I get some info on Isaiah Thomas's hip? Like even if he's out until February that's fine for the Cavs

https://docflynn.com/2017/05/21/isaiah-thomas-hip-injury/

quote:

The best-case scenario for Isaiah Thomas is that he responds to rest from basketball, more physical therapy, and possibly one steroid injection. If he has already exhausted these options or if his medical team decides that he needs a more aggressive approach, then hip surgery would be the next step. Recovery from surgery could be anywhere from 6-9 months, depending on what is done and how he responds. The good news is that over 80% of athletes return to prior level of play after hip arthroscopy, although there is no specific data for NBA athletes. The bad news is if Thomas does require surgery it will likely impact the beginning of the 2017-18 season for an athlete who has shown himself to be the heart of the Celtics team.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Libertine posted:

IT is good but Kyrie has destroyed him in every matchup they've ever played. Crowder is not going to share the court with Lebron in many lineups. Zizic isn't even an NBA player. 2018 nets pick doesn't matter if Cleveland loses Lebron leaves and their team dissolves. If that happens Boston owns the East for like five years.

Since everyone thinks Cleveland brutally won this trade talk me out of my insanity I guess.

I think it's that in an offseason where Butler and George were traded for peanuts, Boston used their assets to get a player who is worse than both.

Like the Celtics could have probably gotten Butler or George and kept IT.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Libertine posted:

I mean you're right that Cleveland is up poo poo creek if LeBron leaves but that's true regardless of any trade

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Libertine posted:

Crowder is literally the perfect player for this team, it allows them to play lebron/love/TT, Crowder/Lebron/TT, Crowder/Lebron/Love, etc. he alone gives them insane lineup flexibility.

Hell, they can also play weird Lebron/SG/Crowder/Love/TT lineups

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Niwrad posted:

I think it's that in an offseason where Butler and George were traded for peanuts, Boston used their assets to get a player who is worse than both.

Getting rid of and replacing IT seems to have been the priority, something that getting PG or Butler wouldn't have done. I'm still not sold on the whole thing but it's not anywhere near as dire as people want to make it out to be

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The real good news out of all of this is Kyrie didn't end up in San Antonio.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

IT/JR/Crowder/LeBron/Love

:getin:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Watching IT turn into Johnny Flynn would make me really sad

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Libertine posted:

IT has been marginally better than Kyrie in the games they've played against each other so I have no idea what you are talking about

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Libertine posted:

every time you talk about how LeBron fits with people I wonder if you have actually seen him play basketball in the last decade

E: Also having a potential top pick in what seems like a good draft seems really valuable if they lose LeBron and need to rebuild??

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 23, 2017

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
Boston fans wish they had traded Brady 5 years ago for 4 Cleveland number 1 picks. #AINGEING!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cool Buff Man posted:

Getting rid of and replacing IT seems to have been the priority, something that getting PG or Butler wouldn't have done. I'm still not sold on the whole thing but it's not anywhere near as dire as people want to make it out to be

Yeah, even if Ainge got ripped off (and I lean more on the side that he paid too much), the team still has talent all over the roster and another asset coming their way. They are still in a fine position.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Why would Kyrie ask for a trade AFTER most of the league signed their free agents? He's stupid, there's no good enough deal left"

*Ainge train choo choo*

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Everyone laughed at Ainge for his inaction all summer long, but the only returning Celtics this season are Horford, Smart, Brown and Rozier :eyepop:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

xbilkis posted:

Everyone laughed at Ainge for his inaction all summer long, but the only returning Celtics this season are Horford, Smart, Brown and Rozier :eyepop:

Horford the only returning starter. It's throwing me for a loop

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I think I would be more okay with that trade if it didn't include the nets pick. I find it hard to believe Cleveland would have gotten a better offer than IT+Crowder+Zizic.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Apparently IT had surgery, so he should be fine and doing the initial stages of physical therapy now? If there is some significant set back it'd likely be discovered during the physical

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm at a Chinese restaurant and just heard about this from an 8 year old at the table beside me. I only really heard because you don't usually hear "what a terrible trade from Boston" at a random restaurant in Toronto.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

what the gently caress

i love kyrie but my brain tells me this is a good trade for the cavs

also what the gently caress lebron when you came back i was supposed to not think about the draft for the next few years instead i have to hope for a....*checks prospects* michael porter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Zogobot please compute Bostons chances with such poor roster continuity

• Locked thread