Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

alf_pogs posted:

i didn't realise it was a second series of that show THEM from 2021. that was a tough watch honestly, but i'm interested enough to give s2 a whirl

Yeah the first season didn't get great reviews, and I didn't watch it, but it's an anthology show so Season 2 is totally fresh and new!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I remember really liking the premise for THEM and never watching a single episode.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm so behind on TV just because of how much films I've wanted to see instead first. I should probably fix that soon

Unfortunately for TV, I Saw the TV Glow, Tarot, New Life and Founders Day each come out over the next week, so that's not going to happen

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm pretty hyped for I Saw The TV Glow just based off the one trailer I saw for it and the fact that both Big Pete and Little Pete are in it. The basic idea seems pretty well-worn at this point but I think it looked pretty cool.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

New round of Bracketology. A grab bag as always. And hey at least a couple of these can cover the May Challenges if you need ideas.

Where We’re At:
3. (Goat’s Horror Noire) Ernest R. Dickerson’s Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight vs. 14. (Basebf’s Always Back The Drac) Édouard Molinaro’s Dracula and Son
6. (Weapon X’s In Space No One Can Hear You Stream) Jason Eisener’s Hobo With A Shotgun vs. 11. Lucio Fulci’s Voices from Beyond

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST May 6th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
2. The Zombie Brothers vs. 15. John Carl Buechler
7. Chucky and His Pals vs. 10. Monsters, Monsters, and More Monsters

Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Has anyone seen the mockumentary Saiko The Large Family? It's pretty neat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Doltos posted:

Has anyone seen the mockumentary Saiko The Large Family? It's pretty neat

Yeah, it blew up cause of that ReignBot video last month. It's so good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Where/how are people watching that?

Watching The Andy Baker Tape and it's a surprisingly decent Creep type found footage. It's one if those tubi found footage letterboxd like 2.8 average type movies I only watch because I've already seen almost every possible notable, popular, "supposed to be good" type found footage, even the deeper older cuts. And usually that doesn't work out very well for me at all; usually it really is just that bad or some student film basically.
Like I wouldn't recommend it per se unless you're that hungry for found footage.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Where/how are people watching that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtZkPmURGX8

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks. Gonna dive into that immediately.

In retrospect I guess a 2.8 ending up a 3 shouldn't be that surprising but usually it goes the other way for me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

This is part of the series the saddest rhino posted about too

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Just watched the Gusti The Strong short with my partner and we loved it. El Santo mixed with tokusatsu but starring a giant Icelandic wrestler? Genius. Extremely funny and charming, and I loved the use of the fishermen and seaside. It felt like something that felt unique to where it was created, which is something I always enjoy. If it gets picked up I hope his henshin/powering up scene is more over-the-top but as a big toku and wrestling fan I'm all about this. One of us will drop a Letterboxd review and I hope in return to hear when it becomes a long-running series :hai:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Rie is already a true inspiration. Wondering what I wanna eat, motherfucker?! Time to put you in line! :hai:

Also enjoy how awkward and bad the narrator is.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 29, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's nice that they made a less creepy less traumatic Visitor Q. Fun for the whole family!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Just watched the Gusti The Strong short with my partner and we loved it. El Santo mixed with tokusatsu but starring a giant Icelandic wrestler? Genius. Extremely funny and charming, and I loved the use of the fishermen and seaside. It felt like something that felt unique to where it was created, which is something I always enjoy. If it gets picked up I hope his henshin/powering up scene is more over-the-top but as a big toku and wrestling fan I'm all about this. One of us will drop a Letterboxd review and I hope in return to hear when it becomes a long-running series :hai:

Thanks a thousand times. I greatly appreciate any and all views on the short.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Just got an e-mail my Killer Klownz from Outer Space shipped. I will soon experience True Cinema

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Kino

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kino Klowns

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Really dug Saiko the Large Family. Creepy, funny, with this underlying ominous feeling, and a lot of subtlety. Veronika is also just a fun annoying lovely westerner character. I mean talk about clueless and unprofessional lol, her asking the kids whether they prefer their current father or the previous one

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So many blink and you'll miss it clues too. Just a great weird film.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Thing I'm irrationally mad about:

Frankenstein - Dr. Frankenstein. Bride of Frankenstein - his bride, Elizabeth. Son of Frankenstein - his son, Wolf. Ghost of Frankenstein - his ghost. House of Frankenstein - his house/castle.

And in 1958, Richard Cunha makes a movie about the grandson of Frankenstein reviving the experiments and creating a female monster and titles the film Frankenstein's Daughter.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
How the gently caress is there a new Russell Crowe exorcism movie coming out that is not a sequel to "The Pope's Exorcist"?!?!?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Exorcist's Pope

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
fighting around the pope

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

How the gently caress is there a new Russell Crowe exorcism movie coming out that is not a sequel to "The Pope's Exorcist"?!?!?

Ah, the Bruce Willis, Liam Neeson and Jason Statham Academy. He's found his type!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Saiko’s an odd one, because the TV episode it’s a sequel to is extremely on-the-nose about what’s happening, and kinda spoils the joke. But, at the same time, it’s really wild how many callbacks they throw into the movie.

I think an ideal way to watch Saiko would be to pause when they mention that this isn’t the first documentary crew they’ve encountered, and then watch the whole episode before resuming the film.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I got to see Alien in theaters (the 45th anniversary re-release) tonight, which was my first time ever seeing Alien in a theater. Before it started, there was a short conversation between Fede Alvarez and Ridley Scott, in which Fede Alvarez came across a having a lot of reverence for the original and Ridley Scott said about Romulus that Fede had a huge movie on his hands.

So hopefully Romulus will be good, but we'll have to see.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Rageaholic posted:

I got to see Alien in theaters (the 45th anniversary re-release) tonight, which was my first time ever seeing Alien in a theater. Before it started, there was a short conversation between Fede Alvarez and Ridley Scott, in which Fede Alvarez came across a having a lot of reverence for the original and Ridley Scott said about Romulus that Fede had a huge movie on his hands.

They say anything about the upcoming tv show?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Nope, it was mostly Fede asking Ridley about how certain things in the original movie came together.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I’m less interested bc it’s not Prometheus covenant things unlike Romulus which will keep all the things everyone whines about canon lmao

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/joerussotweets/status/1785179026900037731

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

While I am planning on seeing Abigail this week, I need to know if they put in any King Diamond in the soundtrack. Otherwise, I'll need to do a prewatch listen of the album.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So is Dashcam completely worthless? I loving loved Host.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
At least the movie seems to be aware the main character is an obnoxious white dipshit i think. I just started. Here's hoping. That only goes so far though, I'm not sure I can handle more of her "freestyling"

Edit: OK it seriously gets that she completely sucks poo poo in every possible way (not even in just like a political sense, just being painfully uncool Rapping Grandma) this is still pretty hard

Edit edit edit:
Oh my god that was like some garbage rear end v/h/s lowlight
Wait holy poo poo this is a real person who's actually like this? Goddamn thats the real horror movie. What is this, some kind of weird Lars von Trier cinematic experiment??? Between this and The Boogeyman I'm starting to think Host being much good was an accident.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 30, 2024

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So is Dashcam completely worthless? I loving loved Host.

Yes, it's a remarkably bad movie and one that I felt was totally unpleasant from top to bottom. It's also barely feature-length but it still feels like an endurance test to get that far, the main character is just so completely unpleasant to be around.

And Host was absolutely a lightning in a bottle moment, and I'm saying that as someone who thought The Boogeyman was solidly "okay". With Host, there were so many restrictions in place that forced creativity and caused the film to rely more on tension than big spectacle.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

At least the movie seems to be aware the main character is an obnoxious white dipshit i think. I just started. Here's hoping. That only goes so far though, I'm not sure I can handle more of her "freestyling"

Edit: OK it seriously gets that she completely sucks poo poo in every possible way (not even in just like a political sense, just being painfully uncool Rapping Grandma) this is still pretty hard

Edit edit edit:
Oh my god that was like some garbage rear end v/h/s lowlight
Wait holy poo poo this is a real person who's actually like this? Goddamn thats the real horror movie. What is this, some kind of weird Lars von Trier cinematic experiment??? Between this and The Boogeyman I'm starting to think Host being much good was an accident.

Yeah she is actually like that. Trash film, trash person.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's a lot of SAIKO THE LARGE FAMILY dna in THIS HOUSE HAS PEOPLE IN IT.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

The_Doctor posted:

The AI stuff has really soured me on Late Night, especially that response.

You know what’s real? My friend’s film, All You Need is Death! It’s going to be shown at the Overlook Fest in New Orleans on April 5th!

And there’s a trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30iDkjH6UqA

Just caught this on streaming. Really unique concept that kind of goes haywire by the end. Enjoyed it though!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Dashcam is the only movie I’ve noped out of in 10 or less minutes since I’ve started reading this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I accidentally watched the other movie titled dashcam that was released in the same year and thought it was bad, then found it had a higher imdb score than the one people were talking about so I never got around to the other dashcam