Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Runa posted:

Bethesda's Fallouts are resoundingly Okay and when taken as a whole are kind of bland. And this is actually weird, because that's also the franchise where they're much more willing to experiment and try to be, for lack of a better term, daring.

I quite liked what they did with the Survival mode in that game. Made you really appreciate the danger of any encounter. Points of interest became something you had to weigh the risks of, instead of something you automatically clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its like how people fantasized that star citizen would be so immersive that you could play as a space bartender if you wanted to. make a game like thjat

I tried doing that on rpg maker once, a village sim where u could take over any npcs role, turns out, it's a bit complicated, also boring

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
isnt that just fantasy life

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its like how people fantasized that star citizen would be so immersive that you could play as a space bartender if you wanted to. make a game like thjat
i loved all the pre-release interviews where Microsoft heads were like 'yeah... im going full space pirate... ive conquered a few planets...' just literally making poo poo up

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

The Colonel posted:

isnt that just fantasy life

i dunno but im sure they ripped me off!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Never ended up playing Blood and Wine myself either. Was too burned out after main game + Heart of Stone.

lol same, like I enjoyed all the quests and even the perfunctory open world exploration since sometimes you’d get a sad/funny note but Witcher 3 was one of the only times I felt like there’s too much game. Though I might feel differently after reading the books since my alcoholic vampire bro who got turbo killed is back now. (spoiler tagged to be safe, kind of a big deal until you get to that point in Blood and Wine imho.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
but yeah there's a reason you see a lot of specific and specialized takes on that idea rather than many attempts to do an all in one. if we're talking like, mmo scale, then the "gameplay" of that is mostly facilitated through player interaction so that's no problem. but in singleplayer you kinda need a game and it's easier to build a fully fleshed out and interesting exploration of being the shopkeeper or being the alchemist or being the clothier or whatever if you, build a whole game about what the background of their life is

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What I dislike about modern Bethesda is that they don't want their games to end, only for the players to get tired of them. Side quests and even main quests get padded out with randomly generated missions. The same dungeon tilesets get reused ad nauseum. I never finished the stupid thieve's guild in Skyrim because the ending was gated by a series of random quests. For as large as the Witcher 3 is, you can run out of poo poo to do.

Random generation works in space-sims, rogue-likes, and your diablos. But in a narratively heavier experiences the random crap is more noticable. If players want their game to last forever, that should be the modders job.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh dont worry the end of the skyrim thieves guild is loving embarrassing. it's one of the worst guilds they've ever made. they had the main villain of the thieves guild be voiced by stephen russel, famous snarky thief character actor guy, and just. didn't have him play the kind of character he is famous for playing. why. why does the guild end with a generic dungeon crawl while you wear an ugly superhero costume.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the couple of times i decided to try out the witcher i made the classic rookie mistake of going 'ill start with the first one' and got bored. youd think id have learned after doing this once but nope.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Daggerfall is a really weird game but I think it's super interesting

Like they had Daedric summoning be tied to the calendar and only available on specific days... unless you're friends with the witches who will do it at any time but you'll get a random result. There's a single quest that actually points you to a witch's coven (well, looking it up there were 3 but 2 were broken in classic daggerfall fashion), unless you're a lycanthrope which has a few other ways. Otherwise you'd just have to randomly stumble on it. Also, there was a random chance the daedric summon would just be angry and punish you instead of giving you the quest or reward or whatever, or straight up fail and you were out the money which was like at minimum 100k.

There's so many little weird details that are sort of like, half systems, but man it absolutely fascinated me when I was younger and it had just come out. It was just so incredibly ambitious and that's pretty neat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
reasons to cast stephen russel as a thief character: he played the funny thief guy, from the games about being a thief, called thief

ways bethesda used stephen russel: generic nord #8, generic nord #9, manadnach, not manadnach, evil thievguy whos like "bet you didnt guess i was evil. well im evil. and now im kill you." and then he stabs you and walks away and everyone talks about how evil he is for the next two hours

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
daggerfall is SaGa if they let kawazu develop on pc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think kawazu would make a game that ugly

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
do NOT say minstrel song

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
why would i say minstrel song when romancing saga 1 and 2 in the snes are there?
minstrel song is beautiful

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Colonel posted:

reasons to cast stephen russel as a thief character: he played the funny thief guy, from the games about being a thief, called thief

ways bethesda used stephen russel: generic nord #8, generic nord #9, manadnach, not manadnach, evil thievguy whos like "bet you didnt guess i was evil. well im evil. and now im kill you." and then he stabs you and walks away and everyone talks about how evil he is for the next two hours

For lack of a better word, Bethesda writing post Morrowind has felt very “kiddie”.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also honestly i feel like there's more logic and interconnectedness to SaGa's weirdness. SaGa games do feel like actually coherent video games. daggerfall is like, a game that is overambitious and busted in ways where your mind fills in a lot of the gaps for the game that isn't there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rinkles posted:

For lack of a better word, Bethesda writing post Morrowind has felt very “kiddie”.

dude there are cartoons for six year olds that have a greater grasp of characterization and drama than bethesda. if anything the way i'd describe bethesda's writing is that they fundamentally don't know what people are anymore and any attempts to write them in their scripts end up with weird robot imitations. frankly the weirdness in morrowind i'd say ties into this, morrowind's characters are definitely insane in the way i'd expect people who live in a racist mushroom world to be, versus a lot of characters in bethesda fallout having like. zero understandable identity going on.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 16, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bethesda writing post oblivion is very 'aaa western games'

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Barudak posted:

I'll never know what Starfield offers other than your parents (who were fun for the one joke) but like I didn't need to play Starfield any further than the space travel tutorial to know the entire game was built wrong and quit.

Starfield mainly offers new depths of how to make the story uninteresting. Like your generic 8-bit RPG "go beat up the bad guy" story does better at motivating why you would care.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

The Colonel posted:

dude there are cartoons for six year olds that have a greater grasp of characterization and drama than bethesda.
maybe it's a consequence of the medium, bethesda seems to have dropped the intention of making a simulation of a living and breathing rpg world, and takes a more functional approach: we need quests because our game needs content. while a cartoon will always be a storytelling medium, unless I guess they make into a toys commercial

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they very much have this thing going on where they're so player centric they just don't really even care about trying to get you to care about any of the people you meet in them anymore. they write their characters as what they are, mildly quirky set dressing for you to bump into and get a quest to shoot some rad roaches or something from. they know some people like having goofy adventure buddies so they put in the goofy adventure buddies but they don't really know how to write human beings so the goofy adventure buddies are just, literally just their most basic two dimensional cartoon image of what "the adventure buddy character" would be. mechanically these characters have never had any real agency or weight to their existence but at this point the writing around the world has so thoroughly been wrapped around the player that even the narrative concept of these characters being able to possess any of that has slowly thinned out to literal nothing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

bethesda writing post oblivion is very 'aaa western games'

im gonna be honest and say, that is being unfair to aaa western games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Honest Thief posted:

maybe it's a consequence of the medium, bethesda seems to have dropped the intention of making a simulation of a living and breathing rpg world, and takes a more functional approach: we need quests because our game needs content. while a cartoon will always be a storytelling medium, unless I guess they make into a toys commercial

there are a lot of toy commercial cartoons that are more conscious about what the emotions of their toys should be in the story they're telling

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
probably not fair to compare bethesda writing to zambot 3 though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bethesda games arent even really theme parks anymore because theme parks sometimes have guys in costumes doing bits theyre more like the empty field next to the playground

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also literal 30 second toy commercials have more storytelling than starfield

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hey that's rude. they dragged the adoring fan out just for you, just so he could tell you his new joke, about coffee

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
did you know? this guy? he's the adoring fan. and what's more? he likes coffee now. it's so crazy. this guy loves coffee so much. wiiiiiiild

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Colonel posted:

they very much have this thing going on where they're so player centric they just don't really even care about trying to get you to care about any of the people you meet in them anymore. they write their characters as what they are, mildly quirky set dressing for you to bump into and get a quest to shoot some rad roaches or something from. they know some people like having goofy adventure buddies so they put in the goofy adventure buddies but they don't really know how to write human beings so the goofy adventure buddies are just, literally just their most basic two dimensional cartoon image of what "the adventure buddy character" would be. mechanically these characters have never had any real agency or weight to their existence but at this point the writing around the world has so thoroughly been wrapped around the player that even the narrative concept of these characters being able to possess any of that has slowly thinned out to literal nothing.

This nails the hollowness of Starfield.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’d say they feel AI-written but even ChatGPT tries, badly, to imitate the flourishes of whatever it’s stealing from. Bethesda writing is just cubicle-gray all the way across

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I’d say they feel AI-written but even ChatGPT tries, badly, to imitate the flourishes of whatever it’s stealing from. Bethesda writing is just cubicle-gray all the way across

"Cubicle-grey" is seriously the best description I've heard of their writing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think it says alot that there's basically no recognizable community memes about Starfield (that aren't about how bad it is) for all it's faults, Skyrim had immense cultural reach. Arrow in the knee, that one companion lady, etc. People still talk about Skyrim all the time. Starfield has none of that. It has no lasting legacy lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
even that guy who does all those youtube oblivion ai shorts made like, two starfield videos and stopped lol.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
skyrim is bad but it at least funny bad to get stuff like the companions sprinting halfway across the field to poo poo talk you for not helping them fight a giant you didn't even see them fighting, or to talk to madanach, walk five steps over to the guy madanach told you to beat up, and have that guy, who is voiced by the same voice actor as madanach, say he is not madanach while mispronouncing madanach's name. starfield by necessity of how it's built leaves zero room for this stuff and it seems like bethesda has gotten self conscious enough about people laughing at this stuff that they're kind of trying to avoid it which is just leaving their games featureless.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I want to try Starfield, but I’m not getting new hardware for it. Anything that big of a fiasco I just can’t help trying.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think the fundamental issue is that, elder scrolls games suck rear end. even the good ones.

hey no

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's really not worth it. the defining feature of the game is that it has no features. the stuff bethesda viewed as blemishes to iron out were the appeal of their games so the result of getting a game without them really is just having nothing at all to talk about beyond the occasionally funny occurrence of space pirates falling through the floor of their own spaceship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it will be very funny to see bethesda try to do a NMS redemption arc