Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheMightyBoops posted:

I want to try Starfield, but I’m not getting new hardware for it. Anything that big of a fiasco I just can’t help trying.

It's not bad in any sort of interesting way it's just a dull, bloated mess with loading screens every 15 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

In Skyrim you can boot it up, choose a direction and walk for 15 minutes and find something interesting to do. If you do the same thing in Starfield you will be walking for 15 mins on copy pasted planet with 0 enemies or things to interact with and if you're lucky you MIGHT find an outpost with like 2 people in it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

TheMightyBoops posted:

I want to try Starfield, but I’m not getting new hardware for it. Anything that big of a fiasco I just can’t help trying.

Live your best life, but it's not a fiasco for any fun reason. It's for reasons like,

-Space flight sucks.
-Everything is procgen and 95% of it is just barren wastelands.
-The writing is almost entirely the most tepid drek.
-Ugly.
-Skill trees are maybe the worst implementation of skill trees I have ever seen. But not in a fun or interesting way. 90% of the choices are either flat stat ups or unlock functionality that really should have been baseline.
-It actually launched relatively bug free, which is probably good on the whole but it did mean I never got any fun comedy physics interactions.
-Are you excited to sit through 5 loading screens every time you want to fast travel?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think it says alot that there's basically no recognizable community memes about Starfield (that aren't about how bad it is) for all it's faults, Skyrim had immense cultural reach. Arrow in the knee, that one companion lady, etc. People still talk about Skyrim all the time. Starfield has none of that. It has no lasting legacy lol.

I was watching a group of streams do a goofy Skyrim run and during it they were all talking about how frustrating and annoying it is that Starfield sucks because it means they're back to doing Skyrim content instead of new stuff because nobody cares about Starfield things,

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Imagine Daggerfall without any of its interesting ideas. Also there’s a crappy space sim bolted on.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

One of my favorite parts of Starfield is how prior to release they hyped up how you could be a space pirate and it was a completely valid playstyle, except cops on a planet halfway across the galaxy know you stole a plate from someone's store, you HAVE to consent to a contraband check to enter a planet (since you have to enter planets via load screens you can't avoid this) ((and yes I know contraband crates exist but still)). And if you go to jail you lose exp and eventually enter insane amounts of EXP debt that'll essentially softlock your progression as you will require hours upon hours of grinding to get back to 0.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Again, its no exaggeration that as soon as the tutorial shows you how you travel between worlds that you realize Starfield is intrinsically wrong. It does not understand the appeal of its own pedigree.

Dire.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Genuinely don't think I ever figured out how building a new spacecraft worked, it was so picky about what you could and couldn't have attached I never managed a configuration it actually allowed lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There was a lot about the marketing that could be charitably called disingenuous.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Again, its no exaggeration that as soon as the tutorial shows you how you travel between worlds that you realize Starfield is intrinsically wrong. It does not understand the appeal of its own pedigree.

Dire.

I played like 40 hours of NMS in the lead up to Starfield, sothe first thing I tried doing when I played Starfield was manually flying to the first planet you're told to go to because I just instinctively assumed it'd work like a normal space game lol.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I played like 40 hours of NMS in the lead up to Starfield and the first thing I tried doing was manually flying to the first planet you're told to go to because I just instinctively assumed it'd work like a normal space game lol.

I did the same loving thing. I was like "Well, obviously I can just fly there. I can do that in NMS. I can do that in loving Starlink and that was on the Switch. Certainly I can do it here."

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Genuinely don't think I ever figured out how building a new spacecraft worked, it was so picky about what you could and couldn't have attached I never managed a configuration it actually allowed lol

Spacecraft building is also one place where they got closest to having something actually worthwhile.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I love JRPG

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Overbite posted:

I love JRPG

Hell same.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember when they started angrily replying to negative steam reviews of starfield

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

even skyrim is good. on a fundamental running around dungeon diving and blundering into quests and npc interactions, and it at least still being an RPG given the direction fallout took. i've been replaying it lately for the first time since 2011 and while i am not stunned by how terrible, boring, poorly thought out the writing and dialogue and questlines all are. i mean it's bad bad, there's a girl on the thieves guild whose first introduction to you is venting about her parents being slaughtered and herself "violated" all through the night. and then she thanks you for letting her get that off her chest. this is again her very first and pretty much only dialogue she has to offer. emil ftw

but gameplay wise, simplified as it is, easy enough to casually have the slider adjusted to master, i think skyrim succeeds at maintaining a world filled with interesting dungeons and underground locations, and i do mean that too. i dumped hundreds of hours into oblivion, those dungeons were bleak and miserable. morrowind's were pretty good. while many of skyrim's are linear, and there are only so many flavors of actual dungeon, i can attest each and every one has at least something unique and interesting about it. you go into one cave and it's a series. of ravines traveling up an underground river. another cave opens up into half a colosseum with you weaving back and forth down levels of skeleton fightst. a dungeon has a ton of dead bandits all crowded around a glowing crystal and its evil and another has necromancers commanding dead draugr to mine iron ore. wandering and stumbling into these scenarios creates stories based on what the player brings in with them and i think that is very cool. ive been running around with a sword and fire balls and it's a great way to play.

thats just skyrim, i very much feel oblivion and morrowind make their own unique cases for being very special rpgs. these games offer a consistent world where you drop an item in your house and now it's always there. got your followers as backup. little things in addition to the loop of diving looting selling and repeating like collecting alchemical ingredients to brew strong rear end potions, i love that stuff. and we've established skyrim's writing sucks but morrowind is supreme when it isn't an encyclopedia and oblivion still has kirkbridge contracted and making dialogue very weird and eccentric and extremely memorable. hell, what bethesda set out to do with radiant ai, primitive execution it resulted in, still managed to conjure up a lot of funny or compelling moments by its unique nature. like meeting a woman in a city and then seeing her a few days later on the side of a road moments before a troll sends her airborne, yanno? that's unique to elder scrolls.

i hope this thread doesnt mind long rambles :tipshat:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

See what if instead of sacrificing narrative pacing and setpiece design for freeform structure that promises small handcrafted experiences just over the next hill we made traveling over the hill a multi-step menu and then bought a half-size value pack of adventures.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's so nuts. People were jokingly saying Starfield was going to be "fallout 4 in space" and you know what. I literally would have wanted that. Hell, it's what I was expecting it to be. I wasn't like...Hype for Starfield but I was sort of excited to have a goof around game for 30 hours or w/e but they couldn't even give me that. Glad it was on Gamepass so I didn't waste any money.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

(all that to say bethesda learned all the worst lessons from skyrim and fallout 4 resulting in perhaps one of the worst triple a games ever made)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

cumpantry posted:

even skyrim is good. on a fundamental running around dungeon diving and blundering into quests and npc interactions, and it at least still being an RPG given the direction fallout took. i've been replaying it lately for the first time since 2011 and while i am not stunned by how terrible, boring, poorly thought out the writing and dialogue and questlines all are. i mean it's bad bad, there's a girl on the thieves guild whose first introduction to you is venting about her parents being slaughtered and herself "violated" all through the night. and then she thanks you for letting her get that off her chest. this is again her very first and pretty much only dialogue she has to offer. emil ftw

but gameplay wise, simplified as it is, easy enough to casually have the slider adjusted to master, i think skyrim succeeds at maintaining a world filled with interesting dungeons and underground locations, and i do mean that too. i dumped hundreds of hours into oblivion, those dungeons were bleak and miserable. morrowind's were pretty good. while many of skyrim's are linear, and there are only so many flavors of actual dungeon, i can attest each and every one has at least something unique and interesting about it. you go into one cave and it's a series. of ravines traveling up an underground river. another cave opens up into half a colosseum with you weaving back and forth down levels of skeleton fightst. a dungeon has a ton of dead bandits all crowded around a glowing crystal and its evil and another has necromancers commanding dead draugr to mine iron ore. wandering and stumbling into these scenarios creates stories based on what the player brings in with them and i think that is very cool. ive been running around with a sword and fire balls and it's a great way to play.

thats just skyrim, i very much feel oblivion and morrowind make their own unique cases for being very special rpgs. these games offer a consistent world where you drop an item in your house and now it's always there. got your followers as backup. little things in addition to the loop of diving looting selling and repeating like collecting alchemical ingredients to brew strong rear end potions, i love that stuff. and we've established skyrim's writing sucks but morrowind is supreme when it isn't an encyclopedia and oblivion still has kirkbridge contracted and making dialogue very weird and eccentric and extremely memorable. hell, what bethesda set out to do with radiant ai, primitive execution it resulted in, still managed to conjure up a lot of funny or compelling moments by its unique nature. like meeting a woman in a city and then seeing her a few days later on the side of a road moments before a troll sends her airborne, yanno? that's unique to elder scrolls.

i hope this thread doesnt mind long rambles :tipshat:

I actually agree with most of this tbh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they genuinely seem so mad and confused people didnt like starfield that much. remember them going 'well, perhaps the modders'll.. have some fun :wink:' and then nobody on god's green earth has made a starfield mod yet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

they genuinely seem so mad and confused people didnt like starfield that much. remember them going 'well, perhaps the modders'll.. have some fun :wink:' and then nobody on god's green earth has made a starfield mod yet

I think they genuine, unironically, went into it with a mindset of "The modders will flesh it out for us." Not like as a joke but a genuine design point that they can get a bunch of people to mod it for them and they'll be able to sell it based off those mods.

And then they didn't launch with official modding tools?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The default UI was so bad it was unreal.

At least on PC, I think the Xbox one was a bit better?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
well the thing is people liked skyrim and fallout 4 despite that. like they sold astonishingly well. i dont think tastes change or anything but clearly something is missing, in Starfield

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The hearsay Ive heard about Starfield was hilarious because its not built hastily per se, this was a Other: M style scenario where there is just a catastrophic mismatch between design and customer interest.

Like there were strong decisions behind not having a smaller more hand crafted universe and more vibrant characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

well the thing is people liked skyrim and fallout 4 despite that. like they sold astonishingly well. i dont think tastes change or anything but clearly something is missing, in Starfield

I would say it is 100% the inability to just go and explore. That is the big thing. In Fallout or Skyrim you can just pick a direction, go there, and see what you see. You can't do that really in Starfield.

If I could like just pick a direction to go in space and go that way and maybe I'd run into a planet or an abandoned outpost or whatever, even if it was abstracted in some fashion, I'd be fine. Starlink did that and I liked Starlink despite it being a literal Ubisoft Toy Game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i am clearly the wrong person to theorize about this because the appeal of skyrim and fallout 4 completely elude me tbf

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Dread Delusion hit 1.0 this week and...IDK how to feel about it. Cool aesthetics and atmosphere but for some reason everywhere online people are trying to sell it as a Morrowind like game and it's just...Not? It does not play like Morrowind, at all. It doesn't have a big open world to explore, it doesn't have a skill or combat system like Morrowind, etc. Literally have no idea why this comparison keeps being made as a pitch. It has a weird alien like world and that's I guess enough for something to be "Morrowind" these days.

I can tell it's a competently made game but it's just not grabbing me at all.

James Wragg has explicitly made Morrowind comparisons in interviews... including being thankful that Bethesda was working on Starfield instead, since that means more hungry ES fans that might give their project a look. I would imagine the bit where you start as a prisoner is specifically intended to draw ES fans in.

I played Dread Delusion for about 6 hours yesterday, and overall, I think its fine but unexceptional. There's some cool stuff in the world, but it is more spread out than it needs to be, the writing is workmanlike and unpolished, and the music is downright dull. You are not losing much putting on a podcast.

When it comes to the open world, things definitely open up once you get past the fortress, and they open up even further past the first town. However, the world lacks interesting friction when you are travelling, and the various fast travel options take a bit too long to unlock. This game would benefit from being able to fast travel directly through your map. I also feel like the game would really benefit from making NPCs more reactive, as things stand I have seen more dynamic worlds in RPG Maker games.

I don't really mind how easy the game is, but I do think it is a bit boring. Making the stat that governs your move speed something that is competing with other stuff for your limited advancement tokens is quite annoying. Although I haven't tried out that Agility+ and falling resistance spell yet. Maybe it'll let me rocket around a bit more so I spend less time time retracing my steps after paying the Nap Tax to keep my stamina bar up.

I hear that they brought on different writers for other regions past the core. The clockwork kingdom plot, for instance, there was a thread in the steam discussions specifically talking about differences in the writing style.

Overall.... eh, it's a C+. Depending on what people like about it, I could recommend a number of other more interesting games.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ImpAtom posted:

I would say it is 100% the inability to just go and explore. That is the big thing. In Fallout or Skyrim you can just pick a direction, go there, and see what you see. You can't do that really in Starfield.

If I could like just pick a direction to go in space and go that way and maybe I'd run into a planet or an abandoned outpost or whatever, even if it was abstracted in some fashion, I'd be fine. Starlink did that and I liked Starlink despite it being a literal Ubisoft Toy Game.

Yeah, much as I might malign fallout 4 in general, it gave me the wander around and see what I can find experience that I wanted out of it. So even if a lot of it sucked or was half-baked, I was mostly doing what I wanted at the end of the day and the bad things mostly stayed out of my way. This just is not the case in Starfield. It's bad in all the ways that FO4 are plus new and exciting ways to suck that do immediately impede your ability to just get out there and have a good time.

Launch NMS is a more feature complete and compelling game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It’s a new ip, and in that way the most accurate reflection of current Bethesda’s creative core, or lack-thereof. There’s no real hook to get people excited, besides I guess high production space stuff.

And on top that, they marginalized the things people actually liked about their past games. Which I don’t entirely hold against them, because I think they wanted to try something different for once, but that something else wasn’t very good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't modders take one look at how Starfield worked and just go 'welp no fixing that'.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

From what I heard no one actually can even if they wanted to. Something having to do with how cells work compared to their previous games because of the procgen.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

it was funny seeing the huge disconnect between the Gaming PressTM and the public

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

avoraciopoctules posted:

James Wragg has explicitly made Morrowind comparisons in interviews... including being thankful that Bethesda was working on Starfield instead, since that means more hungry ES fans that might give their project a look. I would imagine the bit where you start as a prisoner is specifically intended to draw ES fans in.

I played Dread Delusion for about 6 hours yesterday, and overall, I think its fine but unexceptional. There's some cool stuff in the world, but it is more spread out than it needs to be, the writing is workmanlike and unpolished, and the music is downright dull. You are not losing much putting on a podcast.

When it comes to the open world, things definitely open up once you get past the fortress, and they open up even further past the first town. However, the world lacks interesting friction when you are travelling, and the various fast travel options take a bit too long to unlock. This game would benefit from being able to fast travel directly through your map. I also feel like the game would really benefit from making NPCs more reactive, as things stand I have seen more dynamic worlds in RPG Maker games.

I don't really mind how easy the game is, but I do think it is a bit boring. Making the stat that governs your move speed something that is competing with other stuff for your limited advancement tokens is quite annoying. Although I haven't tried out that Agility+ and falling resistance spell yet. Maybe it'll let me rocket around a bit more so I spend less time time retracing my steps after paying the Nap Tax to keep my stamina bar up.

I hear that they brought on different writers for other regions past the core. The clockwork kingdom plot, for instance, there was a thread in the steam discussions specifically talking about differences in the writing style.

Overall.... eh, it's a C+. Depending on what people like about it, I could recommend a number of other more interesting games.

Dang. Yeah I was feeling pretty underwhelmed myself...Guess I'll refund if it doesn't change much.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

avoraciopoctules posted:

A couple more thoughts about Dread Delusion
- one more bit of ES flavor: bugs! When you talk your way past a guard, only for them to aggro as soon as you cross the door, that sucks. When you bumble into a dark priest’s ritual, fast talk them into letting you sacrifice another person to fix the side effects in spite if the priest’s misgivings, and then return afterwards, it really sucks when they revert to earlier dialogue and don’t react at all.
- if you aren’t refunding the game, the lands of the Endless are kinda cool. Once again, it’s mostly just unexceptionally written NPCs telling you about lore, but their backstory IS neat.
- favorite moment: charming a robot lord into switching from “militant agriculture” to “benevolent agriculture”
- the quest to retrieve the idol for the merchant in hallow-whatsit town never deviates from the basic tropes, but I did appreciate the care they put into some of the details.
- lockpicking has no player skill element, it’s just a die roll that takes multiple seconds. Spending a solid minute breaking all 13 of your lockpicks because you can’t seem to roll a 6, and then having to either warp back to the town you can buy lockpicks or farming monsters for 30 minutes is Not Great.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its like how people fantasized that star citizen would be so immersive that you could play as a space bartender if you wanted to. make a game like thjat

It's basically just a scifi version of people fantasizing about reincarnating in a fantasy world or whatever.

The concept is also predicated on Star Citizen becoming an unprecedented Big Deal that is like 20x as popular as WoW at its peak. They buy those jpeg ships for thousands of dollars because they imagine a future where everyone plays Star Citizen and those ships give them influence and reputation in their "second life."

(Also most of these people fantasized about other people playing as bartenders and janitors on their space yachts)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wasn’t SW Galaxies kind of that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair if party finder on FFXIV is accurate, there are a whole lot of people who will gladly spend day-in-day-out running fake nightclubs and bars for people.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Wasn’t SW Galaxies kind of that?

You could have shops and stuff and I think make crafting your main thing. But otherwise you basically played it like a normal MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
swg being an old school mmo gives it an edge over modern mmos in that regard, before the convenience of matchmaking took over mmos

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 16, 2024