Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rinkles posted:

If you want a topic change: has anyone played the Dreamcast’s El Dorado Gate?

i've played volume 1. it's kinda neat. haven't made time for volume 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the combat and general structure in el dorado are cute, art style has that kind of cyberbots/rival schools/bof/mmlegends colorful late 90s capcom look going on, but it's very basic, like rpgmaker level basic. doesn't have any level mechanics and is instead entirely oriented around gear and elemental affinities so if you want to combat stuff effectively you have to set yourself up with gear and abilities to counter. can make the first volume a bit frustrating since it throws you into some rough encounters before you might have really grasped any of this

ost is pretty good but nobody's uploaded the tracks individually on youtube so searching them is a bit of a pain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXsuH0idm4Q&t=711s

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gonna go back 3 days to Xenoblade 2 localization chat to ask a dumb question because the translation stuff was all very interesting.

Why are Nintendo such bullies? Surely they had enough power to give them another 3 years to actually finish the game after harvesting half their team to finish BotW.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Gonna go back 3 days to Xenoblade 2 localization chat to ask a dumb question because the translation stuff was all very interesting.

Why are Nintendo such bullies? Surely they had enough power to give them another 3 years to actually finish the game after harvesting half their team to finish BotW.

There is no way a company is going to give one of their development studios an additional *3 year* to work on a semi-niche JRPG franchise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, xenoblade 2 being a success was a surprise. xenoblade 1 was a cult hit but nothing resembling an actual tentpole release. and xb2 sold so well because it came out so early in the switch's life, it was the first real big meaty rpg for it. if they had given them three years it probably wouldnt have done nearly as well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I'm pretty dang tempted to just buy it, but I feel like I should play the demo first because I've never actually played a saga game I don't think

Heck, the demo progress can carry over to the full game anyways so no reason not to try it out first.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Xenoblade 2 is unfinished?

The Colonel posted:

the combat and general structure in el dorado are cute, art style has that kind of cyberbots/rival schools/bof/mmlegends colorful late 90s capcom look going on, but it's very basic, like rpgmaker level basic. doesn't have any level mechanics and is instead entirely oriented around gear and elemental affinities so if you want to combat stuff effectively you have to set yourself up with gear and abilities to counter. can make the first volume a bit frustrating since it throws you into some rough encounters before you might have really grasped any of this

The game apparently had (maybe the first instance? of) DLC gear. That might have helped.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

There is no way a company is going to give one of their development studios an additional *3 year* to work on a semi-niche JRPG franchise.

Endorph posted:

also, xenoblade 2 being a success was a surprise. xenoblade 1 was a cult hit but nothing resembling an actual tentpole release. and xb2 sold so well because it came out so early in the switch's life, it was the first real big meaty rpg for it. if they had given them three years it probably wouldnt have done nearly as well.

Give it a normal 'polishing pass' time frame, I don't know how long those tend to go, I'm just saying more than they got to catch things that everyone complains about like the gacha rate drops and maybe better tutorials?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Give it a normal 'polishing pass' time frame, I don't know how long those tend to go, I'm just saying more than they got to catch things that everyone complains about like the gacha rate drops and maybe better tutorials?

The game absolutely could have had more polish time but to be honest a lot of that stuff probably just wouldn't have been caught, it isn't like XB1 or XB3 are free of weird annoying stuff either. Past a certain point there's just stuff the studio either doesn't think is a priority or doesn't think is a problem. Short of doing Early Access Playtest stuff there's going to be rough edges, and a lot of XB2's fixes were in response to player feedback. (And even then it doesn't always carry over, like XB3 inexplicably locking leveling down to the post-game despite it being one of the fixes they put into Definitive Edition.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, it sucks xenoblade 2 didnt get another few months in the oven, but also i think it came out fine in the end. it sold well. it reviewed well. it propelled xenoblade into a much more popular franchise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Xenoblade 2 is unfinished?
it had a fairly buggy launch and there were a lot of issues that were fixed in patches.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If they felt the gacha rates were a problem, wouldn’t they have patched them?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Rascyc posted:

it's p great

eff it, got it, im unemployed so what else im gonna do

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the problem all the Xenoblade games have is that they have a lot of mechanical design choices that make absolute sense if you're someone playing through the game and occasionally popping off to do sidequests and which are unholy sin if you're a completionist.

Xenoblade 2's gatcha rates are bad if you're trying to roll every single unique Blade or trying to roll a very specific unique blade. If you're just playing the game and unchaining as you can you'll get a bunch of weighted Unique Blades who are more than good enough to do everything in the game. It's clearly intended to be something to make playthroughs unique and that getting all the Blades isn't really an expected outcome unless you really like the game. Same thing as town rebuilding stuff in Xenoblade, where it's there for people who like the game to have more stuff to do.

For good or ill Monolith's design sense seems to be "Give people a whole loving shitton to do, but don't expect them to do all of it" which leads to some really cool unique stuff but also means if you want to do one specific thing (like, say, roll KOS-MOS) that luck is against you. If you're not driven by 100% Xenoblade is great for just always giving you more to do until you're genuinely ready to move on.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
tsunanori's eng VA is giving me, 00s b tier action movie vibes

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I ended up using a number of generic blades, cause they better fit what I needed than the rares I rolled.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

tsunanori's eng VA is giving me, 00s b tier action movie vibes

he's just very canadian.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I ended up using a number of generic blades, cause they better fit what I needed than the rares I rolled.

A good generic blade is often on par with or better than most unique blades, though obviously less interesting visually.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Xenoblade 2, Sticker Star, and that Kingdom Hearts with the loving cards all share the same issue. Where the player amasses a large collection of collectibles for use in combat, and 95% of these items all do the same thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think thats really the case in xb2

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Endorph posted:

i dont think thats really the case in xb2

My guess is they’re talking about the accessories, and aux cores which are useful, but you get a ton of them you have to filter through if you leave it too long without checking them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair if party finder on FFXIV is accurate, there are a whole lot of people who will gladly spend day-in-day-out running fake nightclubs and bars for people.

Yeah, though it helps to have a game with a population as well as both mechanically and aesthetically robust player housing and character customization.

Chunks were morbidly fascinating, ngl

The one thing I really remember from my friend streaming Starfield. That and the cross-timelines lab quest.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Runa posted:

Yeah, though it helps to have a game with a population as well as both mechanically and aesthetically robust player housing and character customization.

Chunks were morbidly fascinating, ngl

The one thing I really remember from my friend streaming Starfield. That and the cross-timelines lab quest.

The artists that worked on all the little background clutter were the only people who seemed to be having any fun making Starfield

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WrightOfWay posted:

A good generic blade is often on par with or better than most unique blades, though obviously less interesting visually.

I think this is only kinda true? "End-game" generic blades can end up with abilities that make them even more useful than unique blades (though I think usually "in conjunction with one or two of the powerful unique blades" - I don't think you'd ever want a party of entirely generic blades). But I don't think generic blades are going to be preferable during most of a normal playthrough. I think they need to be high rarity to reach high levels for the important skills in question, which isn't going to happen until the late-game.

RareAcumen posted:

I don't think the studio sees stuff like the gacha rates as a problem? It was obviously a deliberate choice where they decided it was okay to make collecting all the Blades exceedingly difficult, even if it's one some people didn't like much. The "intended" way of playing the game was clearly just to use whatever you came across (which, due to the existing pity system, would always include a good variety of Blades) as you played normally and opened the cores you came across.

And from a business perspective, I can't even say it was the wrong choice. Everyone who cares about getting all the Blades is also the sort of person who has definitely purchased the game and intends to spend a lot of time playing it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be 100% honest I half suspect that the gatcha system would have been roughly 50% less disliked if KOS-MOS was just someone you could get from a quest instead.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

To be 100% honest I half suspect that the gatcha system would have been roughly 50% less disliked if KOS-MOS was just someone you could get from a quest instead.

Yeah...

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ImpAtom posted:

I know somebody who got KOSMOS as their first or second pull

they had a very different experience with the game and its difficulty

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I think this is only kinda true? "End-game" generic blades can end up with abilities that make them even more useful than unique blades (though I think usually "in conjunction with one or two of the powerful unique blades" - I don't think you'd ever want a party of entirely generic blades). But I don't think generic blades are going to be preferable during most of a normal playthrough. I think they need to be high rarity to reach high levels for the important skills in question, which isn't going to happen until the late-game.

Maybe because I'm so fixated on getting Ursula's quest done, but I've been leveling generic blades at what feels like a pretty brisk pace. Generics seem essential to me, because having the right driver combo pieces available is so important, and it's very likely you won't have a matching unique just cause you get so few and there are so many weapon types.

Ytlaya posted:

The "intended" way of playing the game was clearly just to use whatever you came across (which, due to the existing pity system, would always include a good variety of Blades) as you played normally and opened the cores you came across.

What is the pity system?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Maybe because I'm so fixated on getting Ursula's quest done, but I've been leveling generic blades at what feels like a pretty brisk pace. Generics seem essential to me, because having the right driver combo pieces available is so important, and it's very likely you won't have a matching unique just cause you get so few and there are so many weapon types.

What is the pity system?

Pity Systems are basically gacha things where after (x) number of rolls you're assured a 'hit'. In Xenoblade 2's case it mean that after (x) pulls without a Unique Blade you were assured one from specific pools.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

I got KOSMOS after 30 minutes of farming. Consequently, I think the gacha in xc2 isn’t that bad

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Rinkles posted:

What is the pity system?

there is a fixed list of rare blades assigned to your save file at the start of the game; each core you open gives you a certain number of hidden “pity points” as you open them (common are 5, rare are 25, legendary are 50), and if you accrue a certain number of points (100 the first time, then 200 and 300) before getting a rare from a core, you’ll get the next one on that list instead

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i got a number of legendary cores saved up. maybe'll i'll try savescumming a few times to see what I get.

though I'm not sure who to use them on. I'm kinda happy with the original rex-nia-tora trio, and they're not the best candidates for more blades or can't use them.

and yeah i unlocked zeke and morag already

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
fun times thinking about the mh3u charm drop tables which were bugged to be permanently set in your save file instead of set when you load your game and they never fixed it, despite patching the game for other things like off-tv play in the wii u's case

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

wait that was a bug

I thought it was an intentional (and moronic) design choice

lmaooo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

kosmos isnt even that good tbh
like shes good but she doesnt break the game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
she’s built to straightforwardly poo poo damage regardless of the situation so I can see an early pull neutering the overall difficulty pretty well

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I feel like it shouldn't be that hard to assemble a team from unique Blades that can do full Driver Combos. Even with just two Blades on Rex/Nia and the first Poppi on Tora (in the early game) I can do a Launch combo. I want to say that the game just gives you everything you need to do a full Smash combo via the main story? I think Roc has Smash, for example. Unless you have weird luck, it seems like you should come across unique Blades of most weapon types (especially after factoring in quest Blades and/or free DLC ones).

I really doubt this is the case, but just on the extreme off-chance it is - are you aware that each weapon type (on each character) has 4 Arts, with the 4th being one you can optionally swap in? You probably noticed this, but it just occurred to me as one possible reason someone might end up having a harder time finding the right Arts to do a Driver Combo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like it shouldn't be that hard to assemble a team from unique Blades that can do full Driver Combos. Even with just two Blades on Rex/Nia and the first Poppi on Tora (in the early game) I can do a Launch combo. I want to say that the game just gives you everything you need to do a full Smash combo via the main story? I think Roc has Smash, for example. Unless you have weird luck, it seems like you should come across unique Blades of most weapon types (especially after factoring in quest Blades and/or free DLC ones).

I really doubt this is the case, but just on the extreme off-chance it is - are you aware that each weapon type (on each character) has 4 Arts, with the 4th being one you can optionally swap in? You probably noticed this, but it just occurred to me as one possible reason someone might end up having a harder time finding the right Arts to do a Driver Combo.

I’m aware but thanks.

I like having the character I’m using (usually Rex) having access to three parts of the combo because I find the ai is unreliable, probably because the driver combo windows are so short (and I think you can’t extend topple, or I haven’t found anything that can).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ai depends on the party members gender. male party members are the ones who prioritize driver combos, female party members prioritize blade combos, tora's ai is basically random. if you arent using zeke and you're playing as rex the ai will gently caress up driver combos a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What?? Does the game mention this?