Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what do you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Does the game mention this?

Have you learned nothing from us talking about XB2 in this thread!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I have a friend playing through XB2 asking my other friend who finished XB2 and played a lot of it and there's still stuff we're finding out of nowhere.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

specifically the ai works on a priority system where they'll switch blades based on these conditions in descending order of priority

female party members:
When they can continue a blade combo
When they have a healing ability on a blade that isnt active and an ally is low health
When they can continue a driver combo

Male party members:

When they can continue a driver combo
When they have a healing ability on a blade that isnt active and an ally is low health
When they can continue a blade combo

Tora:

In a situation where he might want to switch blades, he'll randomly pick 0 or 1. If 0, he doesn't switch. If 1, he switches.

In situations where two of these situations are going on at the same time, the AI will prioritize the higher one in their list. (So if there's both a blade and driver combo, female party members will prioritize the blade combo.) In Tora's case, if there's multiple of these situations going on at the same time he'll just pick at random and do his roll basically at random and then continue going down the list. (This is also why his AI occasionally just stops moving completely for a second. He's Thinking.)

If a party member has two healer blades equipped they will not contribute to driver/blade combos except by coincidence and focus exclusively on healing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

try controlling nia and having zeke and rex as the party and see for yourself, they definitely contribute way more to driver combos

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yes they did make tora incredibly bad as an ai party member. as a bit.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

That's bonkers :psyduck:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

jesus christ

actually thank you Endorph, that will probably be very helpful the day I return to finish XB2 so I can play 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love every time someone finds out about XB2 mechanics

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this also makes the fact that a third of the game has nia and tora as the only party members (and most players will play as rex just because, most people play as the protagonist) insane

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

especially since dromarch is also a healing blade so if nia pulls a second grats shes now on Healer AI

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

yes they did make tora incredibly bad as an ai party member. as a bit.

tiger, tiger, coal and brass
strong and stout and dumb of rear end

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
love the Xenoblade games' commitment to weird narrative/mechanic harmony. going out of their way to implement Tora having weirdo AI is :kiss:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not 100% sure on this but i think when tora gets a third blade he rolls twice so his ai does get... better? as it goes on which also feels like narrative/mechanical harmony

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I honestly recommend giving the AI only one blade if you can get away with it. Unfortunately, story blades aren't removable for most of the game, but at the very least don't give them a third blade.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The weirdest part of Xenoblade 2 to me is that they don’t let you freely unequip people’s default blades until NG+. Having 1 of your 3 slots occupied by a specific weapon and element type is a huge restriction on your blade setup. And the game is usually happy to let you do gameplay stuff even if it doesn’t make sense with the story, like all the times you can fast travel around the world even though you explicitly can’t leave your current region in-universe. The game can clearly handle it, I don’t get why they don’t just open it up once you get merc quests or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

The weirdest part of Xenoblade 2 to me is that they don’t let you freely unequip people’s default blades until NG+. Having 1 of your 3 slots occupied by a specific weapon and element type is a huge restriction on your blade setup. And the game is usually happy to let you do gameplay stuff even if it doesn’t make sense with the story, like all the times you can fast travel around the world even though you explicitly can’t leave your current region in-universe. The game can clearly handle it, I don’t get why they don’t just open it up once you get merc quests or something.

I could have sworn you could once you get rexs final ability and steal them first

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Barudak posted:

I could have sworn you could once you get rexs final ability and steal them first
you can but you have to figure out to move the blade to second or third slot to allow rex to steal it and then unequip

Ng+ let's you straight up unequip. It's p weird

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

you can but you have to figure out to move the blade to second or third slot to allow rex to steal it and then unequip

Ng+ let's you straight up unequip. It's p weird
i honestly assume rex being able to steal and unequip them is an oversight

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seems Azami is one of my pity blades, because she kept showing up. For now, I managed to get Perceval, Newt, and Azami out of 8 legendary cores.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

try controlling nia and having zeke and rex as the party and see for yourself, they definitely contribute way more to driver combos

Oh yeah, I remember doing something like this while farming some unique enemy where I'd just keep smashing it over and over again for drops (in my case I think I controlled Tora and had Rex and Zeke as party members).

edit: I also wonder if the main reason I'm having such an easy time with combos in the early-game is specifically *because* my characters have so few Blades.

That being said, I still never felt like I needed to resort to generic Blades to get access to weapon types. You should get pretty high weapon coverage from the blades you just get normally from both cores and quests.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 17, 2024

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Endorph posted:

i honestly assume rex being able to steal and unequip them is an oversight
Yeah and iirc ng+ got patched in later so who knows

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

xenoblade 2: but why?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ytlaya posted:

That being said, I still never felt like I needed to resort to generic Blades to get access to weapon types. You should get pretty high weapon coverage from the blades you just get normally from both cores and quests.

I have launch on Nia but I could never depend on her to use it (now I know why), so I had to equip a generic blade greataxe on Rex to reliably driver combo.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm replaying KH3 and this game continues to baffle me with the incredibly inconsistent world quality. On one hand you have the Toy Story world, which has great aesthetics, a completely new and unique storyline and good variety in what's going on in each fight. On the other hand you have the goddamn Frozen world. Jesus christ. The Frozen world might be my least favorite world in the entire drat series, falling below even Monstro from KH1. Just a boring direct replay of the movie plot that Sora and pals seem forbidden from interacting with, and the zones are tedious and it just does nothing interesting.

Oh well, game's still fun. Playing on Critical for the first time (though without pro codes, I'm not that masochistic) and it's so nice to be able to turn off attractions. They just broke the flow of the combat completely. I do still find myself thinking the game as a whole is inferior to KH2FM but that game has a LOT of nostalgia power for me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given my experience working with Disney at the time, and specifically on Frozen franchise with them, I 100% can believe Disney had insane, counter-productive mandates for that section.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there is no way disney is anything but a weight on the series at this point

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Colonel posted:

there is no way disney is anything but a weight on the series at this point

No way, I love several of the Disney worlds a lot and I always laugh at seeing Mickey doing the whole "Hey fellas did someone mention the Door to Darkness?" bit. The Disney stuff is great when they're actually allowed to do crossover bits, it just sucks when the rules are too strict on non-interaction. Stuff like Beast being so loving mad about Belle being kidnapped that he traveled through dimensions, or Hades conjuring up Auron from death to work for him or even smaller stuff like Clayton somehow taming a chameleon Heartless just all own. It only sucks when they play the movie story straight with no weird interference.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The early Kingdom Heart games came out during a doldrum in Disney's history. Ain't nobody gave a poo poo about Treasure Island in Space or Roseanne acting the cow.

Unfortunately and inevitably they regained momentum after Tangled and starting the MCU. They've bought up company after company (Marvel, Lucas, Fox, Pixar) since KH2, only to now end up in another doldrum. Ain't nobody gave a poo poo about Chris Pratt granting wishes or Buzz Lightyear getting a gritty reboot. I honestly think (and hope) the company will crush under its own weight in my lifetime.

Downloading KH3 now. Will play on Proud because the reception said it was piss easy.

Edit: Also short? Twilight Town and 100 Acre Wood return, now apparently cut to the size of a shoebox.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 17, 2024

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Apparently the KH team works with counterparts at Disney film by film, so whoever was in charge of okaying bits for Monster's Inc for example was more flexible than the equivalents for Tangled and certainly Frozen. The flexibility being directly inverse to how fast the property made the money printer go is surely coincidental.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

toy story and monster inc made, a lot of money. it seems more likely that while pixar is a 'disney company' they're independent enough from disney to have their own reps for stuff like that, and presumably as pixar's higher ups have at least, some, creative experience instead of just being businessmen, they were more willing to play ball or see the fun in letting squeenix mess with it a bit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm replaying KH3 and this game continues to baffle me with the incredibly inconsistent world quality.

I don't know what baffles you. It's Disney. "Hey put in the new hotness. But don't do anything to mess up their brand!" It's why Frozen sections sora off from even meeting most of the cast of the movie for more than 5 seconds. The Tangled world you at least hung out with Rapunzel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I imagine to some degree there's also arguments over what people want to see or Disney thinks they want to see. They (correctly or not) probably assume that people want to see Frozen for Let It Go first and foremost and anything else second, so "make it the Let It Go sequence and maybe Olaf" is the thing I can see a marketing dude assuming is the right move for advertising Frozen in a game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The pixar worlds are a little more loose because it's pixar and not the big tent pole release for a franchise that had a sequel coming out later that year. Same reason the classic disney worlds were given more freedom to play with.

And I've said it before but I think the Frozen world would be more tolerable if it was earlier in the game. Starting off the game with an easy simple disney retelling would just make it feel a bit off but slapping it in the mid game after the plots rolling a bit was a poor decision.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 17, 2024

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
KH3 definitely didn't really know how to balance the storytelling elements, particularly annoying was the Kairi and Axel bits in that they were extremely underdeveloped, only for it to not even really pay off because Nomura and co cannot figure out how to write for Kairi.

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
On top of the issues with just a straightforward adaptation of the movie, Frozen's plot is terrible for how Kingdom Hearts approaches its worlds. The basic formula is that Sora and friends show up, become friends with the Disney hero(es), and tag along on their adventure. But Frozen has two leads, and the basic plot of the film is about them being spending the whole time separated. So giving Sora time with both Anna and Elsa means he then has to keep getting separated from them so he only deals with one at a time. The ice labyrinth and area design are also real dregs, but the basic plot actively fights against the fun moments of Sora landing on a Disney world.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Minor but consistent annoyance in KH3: The treasure chests are too drat small for the size of the environments! I keep missing them because they're comparatively tiny!

Neeksy posted:

KH3 definitely didn't really know how to balance the storytelling elements, particularly annoying was the Kairi and Axel bits in that they were extremely underdeveloped, only for it to not even really pay off because Nomura and co cannot figure out how to write for Kairi.

Kairi will never be allowed to do anything, is what I've learned from these games.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

WizardOfWhispers posted:

On top of the issues with just a straightforward adaptation of the movie, Frozen's plot is terrible for how Kingdom Hearts approaches its worlds. The basic formula is that Sora and friends show up, become friends with the Disney hero(es), and tag along on their adventure. But Frozen has two leads, and the basic plot of the film is about them being spending the whole time separated. So giving Sora time with both Anna and Elsa means he then has to keep getting separated from them so he only deals with one at a time. The ice labyrinth and area design are also real dregs, but the basic plot actively fights against the fun moments of Sora landing on a Disney world.

They could have handled the Frozen integration by having it take place after the plot of the film, with a new crisis due to the interference of all the KH monsters and villains. Maybe they freeze everything and people blame it on Elsa or something, I dunno it's not my job to come up with a more compelling impetus here.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disney's own staff took 6 years to come up with a sequel to Frozen and the finished film is ultimately cobbled together from concepts and as such is a mess, so lol at it being too hard.

I just finished Forspokens DLC and lol. Its a big improvement over the base game because its incredibly edited down, runs better, and Cuff and Frey are appropriate assholes with each other. The combat tweaks are interesting, too. Honestly a support Tanta should have been how combat was handled in the base game instead of 4 move sets you had to juggle. It would have tied into that awful walk-n-talk 30 stretch before the end game way better too.

Whats lol though is the entire DLC is setup to answer some rather pressing gaps in the base games narrative and then, uh, doesn't. It instead tells you things you already know but now in a way that conflicts with the main game and then it realizes that and goes, "Well the answer to that will be in the sequel, for now enjoy more narrative gaps!"

How do you gently caress this up so bad?

Also, now that Ive played all the story that spoilered "things wrong with Forspokens story elements" is even wronger. Bordering on malicious, even, like someone claiming archeologists are hiding Atlantis from you.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, they are.