Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

jhcain posted:

I remember some old text on automotive safety showing pictures and diagrams explaining that the spare tire stowage on a beetle was conducive to sending another car straight up into the windscreen.

Unless it's a super, then it's too low to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

atomicthumbs posted:

there really should be some sort of license requirement with a complicated test about offroading, safety, and vehicle dynamics to drive a jacked-up truck.

Is that even jacked up? It looks like it has stock tires. We've got a truck like that at work, it's been in two accidents. The first one ripped up the side of a brand new accord and did 5k in damage, the second one our driver hosed up and got hit in the side by an older civic which was totaled. There's like two small dents on the truck, nobody was injured.

That's tragic with the beetle, but at the same time it's a risk that comes with driving an old car. Wasn't there someone here who got rear ended in their nice classic plymouth and was complaining about back pain? Newer cars are much safer but also 100% more gay looking. It's a calculated risk.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Powershift posted:

babby steps. How about a license to pull a trailer first. The US doesn't require a license until your vehicle weighs 8 times what the average vehicle weighs.

Or somehow prevent the elderly from piloting massive RVs without training.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

8ender posted:

I never did understand how those didn't require a C class license at minimum; they're literally a bus as far as the chassis is concerned.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Rorac posted:

I never did understand how those didn't require a C class license at minimum; they're literally a bus as far as the chassis is concerned.

The vast majority of big loving vehicles don't require a fun license if it's for personal, fully non-commercial use. Great fun, that. I think airbrakes are also a part of it? Don't know poo poo about heavy vehicle law.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

a year or so ago I saw a class A diesel pusher that had the generator and rear axle torn out by a midsize car that wandered into his lane.

There was loving poo poo E V E R Y W H E R E.

those bastards might be big, but they're built out of wet toiletpaper and cat poo poo.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

those bastards might be big, but they're built out of wet toiletpaper and cat poo poo.

Minimum chassis weight, maximum inside space. They're built to be as big as they can possibly be.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Keep in mind that a lot of the giant RVs you see around in the summer are rentals, too. So not only does the person not have to have any specific training in controlling something the size of a bus, but it might also be the first time they've ever driven anything larger than their Civic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Godholio posted:

In no way is that a bro truck.

Do the new ones ride that high stock? Because there's an extra half a wheel of clearance on those wheelwells.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Liquid Communism posted:

Do the new ones ride that high stock? Because there's an extra half a wheel of clearance on those wheelwells.

Yes.

Chevy is particularly poor about their wheel fitment (those square wheel wells look like dogshit), but suspension travel is a thing they have to accommodate on heavy duty pickups. Even more so when they're potentially carrying 3,000 lbs of payload in the bed (or 6,000 because gently caress them "engineers", I got a schedule to keep) and the springs have to be selected for that load and ride height, not empty.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Fucknag posted:

Yes.

Chevy is particularly poor about their wheel fitment (those square wheel wells look like dogshit), but suspension travel is a thing they have to accommodate on heavy duty pickups. Even more so when they're potentially carrying 3,000 lbs of payload in the bed (or 6,000 because gently caress them "engineers", I got a schedule to keep) and the springs have to be selected for that load and ride height, not empty.

And people will buy these only drive them around like a Prius.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The way that bloke's shoulders droop when he gets out, he knows no one's walking from that. Those ads scared most of a whole generation of Australian drivers straight.

Great Beer posted:

Cross post from the OSHA.jpg thread

Pages and pages and pages ago, but I work with a guy who used to work at that place - it's a coal mine in South Africa. The mine superintendent who was running the place at the time was notoriously tight, and there was a real culture of penny pinching, with tyres being kept on long after they should have been replaced. The tyre is a Triangle, which is SOE for those CATs, so there was nothing wrong with the quality of it to start with, but the terrain in that part of the world is tough as hell, and tyre replacement should be taken seriously.

Of course, losing half a day's work from having one of your 740s sitting on the side of the haul road with the biggest tyre tumour you've ever seen probably sees all of those savings vanish for every single tyre you've got an extra few hundred hours of operation out of.

The guy who took this photo was also the shift foreman who was tasked with dealing with it. And yes, to answer everyone's question, they shot it. Standoff distance was about 300m behind a large berm of boulders, tool of choice was an SMLE. They shot it in the bottom-right section, and it slowly deflated. No big boom. The head of security was going to ask one of the guards there to just go up to it and machete it so they could change it and didn't understand why that was a bad idea.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. Trucks have been growing a lot over the past generations.

Let's compare some numbers according to wikipedia. I'm guessing these would be the poverty spec truck. Regular cab, short bed, short wheelbases.

CHEVROLET
73-91 C/K
Wheelbase: 117 in
Height: 69.8

06-13 Silverado 1500
Wheelbase: 119 in, +2
Height: 73.7 in, +3.9 in

DODGE
81-93 Ram 1500
Wheelbase: 115 in
Height: 73 in.

09-15 Ram 1500
Wheelbase: 120 in, +5 in
Height: 78.9, +5.9 in

FORD
87-91 F150
Wheelbase: 116.8 in
Height: 70.2 In (found on edmunds.com)

2015+ F150
Wheelbase: 122.4 in + 5.6
Height: 75.2 in, +5

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

M42 posted:

It's probably one of the hardest jobs to do on my bike. Plus I don't have a garage or tools like a drill press. A new plug seated for about a turn and a half before I met resistance... hopefully it's just soot on the threads. If it's wrecked, it's literally easier to replace the entire head than helicoil one plug :v:

Why can't you helicoil it in situ? I've done it on a car.

Run a standard sized thread cleaner/tap down it first before you risk making it worse by forcing a new plug in. I did this and then used loctite to get a plug back into my car on a tiny bit of remaining thread. Lasted a few months (with occasional re-applications) before i helicoiled it properly. the repair then outlasted the bodywork.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 10, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tomarse posted:

Why can't you helicoil it in situ? I've done it on a car.

Run a standard sized thread cleaner/tap down it first before you risk making it worse by forcing a new plug in. I did this and then used loctite to get a plug back into my car on a tiny bit of remaining thread. Lasted a few months (with occasional re-applications) before i helicoiled it properly. the repair then outlasted the bodywork.

In a car most of your spark plugs aren't resessed in the head several inches or blocked by a frame. While it may be possible to do it in place it could also be an absolute pain in the rear end and not worth the time saved, I haven't worked on a Ninja 250 in a while.

See this for spark plug access issues - http://www.motopsyco.com/2012/12/01/ex-250-ninja-basic-spark-plug-oil-filter-change/

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The small truck is dead; Ford kill the ranger, the Colorado and Canyon are as big as an Expedition.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd do a helicoil on-vehicle but trying to not drop garbage into the cylinder is a losing battle. Grease on the drill bit and tap can help, but it's not going to stop everything.

However, hooking a compressed air source up to the intake or exhaust with the crank turned to a position where only that valve will be open on that particular cylinder will blow debris outward instead of letting it fall in.

Last time I did something like this, I didn't think of that and ended up sucking debris out of the cylinder with a mcdonalds soft drink straw scrounged out of the trash can, half a roll of duct tape, and a shopvac. Lowest, most ghetto point of my life as a shadetree mechanic. It was a 2.2L OHV engine in a dented rotted 2001 cavalier so no one really gave a rats rear end if I got all of it as long as it held together for another couple years.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

There is no loving way I'd ever try and helicoil a loving 250 head with the motor in the bike. It's 6 thousand miles deep and access sucks.

I'd pull the motor and DIY it, or pull the head and bring it to a machine shop.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Wasabi the J posted:

The small truck is dead; Ford kill the ranger, the Colorado and Canyon are as big as an Expedition.

I've had hopes that the japanese automakers might step in with a small truck again but its increasingly looking like the segment is dying. Maybe Hyundai would do it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
They make them, they just don't sell them in the US.
We don't have the large US trucks in Australia, we have all the smaller Japanese trucks, the GMH, and a VW.
Ford and Mazda sell the ranger and bt50 respectively
Nissan have the Navara
Toyota still has the Hilux
Mitsubishi has the triton
Holden with their 'colorado'
Even VW is in the market with the amarok

Big problem is they don't make them in the US and can't import them at a fair price due to chicken tax.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 10, 2014

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The Hilux is NOT a small truck. It's basically a Tacoma.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Our company truck is a 90s one ton Chevy with a ride height not that much greater than car and its amazing how much nicer loading and unloading the bed is over any other truck I've used in the last decade and change.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
For the current generations ranked by length:

Toyota Hilux:
4975mm long, 1760mm wide, 1795mm tall.

Mitsubishi Triton:
5040mm long, 1750mm wide, 1655mm tall.

Holden Colorado:
5190mm long, 1775mm wide, 1685mm tall.

Nissan Navara:
5220mm long, 1849mm wide, 1745mm tall.

VW Amarok:
5254mm long, 1944mm wide, 1834mm tall.

Ford Ranger:
5359mm long, 1849mm wide, nfi how tall.

Ford F-Series:
5400mm long, 2004mm wide, 1887mm tall.

I'm not sure what the quintessential "small truck" is, but the Hilux is at least practically the smallest of these models.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

No. 6 posted:

The Hilux is NOT a small truck. It's basically a Tacoma.

It (the Hilux) has essentially the same dimensions as a Ranger which is a small truck. Sooooo

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

kastein posted:

I'd do a helicoil on-vehicle but trying to not drop garbage into the cylinder is a losing battle. Grease on the drill bit and tap can help, but it's not going to stop everything.

However, hooking a compressed air source up to the intake or exhaust with the crank turned to a position where only that valve will be open on that particular cylinder will blow debris outward instead of letting it fall in.

Last time I did something like this, I didn't think of that and ended up sucking debris out of the cylinder with a mcdonalds soft drink straw scrounged out of the trash can, half a roll of duct tape, and a shopvac. Lowest, most ghetto point of my life as a shadetree mechanic. It was a 2.2L OHV engine in a dented rotted 2001 cavalier so no one really gave a rats rear end if I got all of it as long as it held together for another couple years.

When I did it I used grease on the drill and tap, then blasted the remaining debris out via the spark plug hole using an airline with a long neck. Then cranked it over without the plug in in the hope of blasting any last bits out that way. Seemed to work. Next time I want to do it on the vehicle im going to try feeding rope into the cylinder through the plug hole and then add some grease.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Powershift posted:

What was the last thing to go through the beetle drivers mind?

A bowtie

Sorry :(

I admit it, I laughed.

kastein posted:

nded up sucking debris out of the cylinder with a mcdonalds soft drink straw scrounged out of the trash can, half a roll of duct tape, and a shopvac

You really need to change your name. Something like "Macgyver" would be more fitting.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Horse Divorce posted:

Yup. Trucks have been growing a lot over the past generations.

Let's compare some numbers according to wikipedia. I'm guessing these would be the poverty spec truck. Regular cab, short bed, short wheelbases.

CHEVROLET
73-91 C/K
Wheelbase: 117 in
Height: 69.8

06-13 Silverado 1500
Wheelbase: 119 in, +2
Height: 73.7 in, +3.9 in

DODGE
81-93 Ram 1500
Wheelbase: 115 in
Height: 73 in.

09-15 Ram 1500
Wheelbase: 120 in, +5 in
Height: 78.9, +5.9 in

FORD
87-91 F150
Wheelbase: 116.8 in
Height: 70.2 In (found on edmunds.com)

2015+ F150
Wheelbase: 122.4 in + 5.6
Height: 75.2 in, +5

That explains it, I'm used to my early 90's GMC/Chevy trucks, where the bumper's at a reasonable height for bumping into things.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nah, it's fine.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Ozmiander posted:

Nah, it's fine.

I've driven a million, billion miles on similar. You just need to get out and jiggle them after a big pothole to turn the car back on.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Can we get a three strikes rule here?

1. bolt-on battery lugs
2. nail jammed in
3. screw jammed in

that's it, confiscate the previous owner's crimpers, wire cutter, and fingers.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
GM Build Quality :patriot:

I hit a bump and suddenly my Corvette sounded loving bad rear end:

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.
Welp, I figured out why my previous f20c stopped with a "thud".

Hrm, that shouldn't be there. by Grant.C, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slow is Fast posted:

There is no loving way I'd ever try and helicoil a loving 250 head with the motor in the bike. It's 6 thousand miles deep and access sucks.

I'd pull the motor and DIY it, or pull the head and bring it to a machine shop.

Tomarse posted:

When I did it I used grease on the drill and tap, then blasted the remaining debris out via the spark plug hole using an airline with a long neck. Then cranked it over without the plug in in the hope of blasting any last bits out that way. Seemed to work. Next time I want to do it on the vehicle im going to try feeding rope into the cylinder through the plug hole and then add some grease.

I've done it on a four cylinder GSXR250. I used grease on the tap and prior to that I fed a very narrow string of rag into the cylinder so it was packed tight right up to the hole. I blew the debris out with compressed air, then used a hook made from a coat hanger to drag the rag out. The bike ran fine.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So that's where the womp womp womp womp at 65 came from... The bearings were dust.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

Something pretty nasty happened in the middle of a 3hr ride yesterday

(NSFW swears)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhZC5vz89kQ

The plug blew out and I'm currently trying to figure out whether the threads on my head are hosed or not. Exciting times.

Where are you located? I could probably have this fixed in a couple or three hours.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Splizwarf posted:

why_I_won't_restore_a_beetle_for_my_wife.jpg:

:nms: http://imgur.com/YuoZFst.jpg :nms:

Probably nicked it from this thread, too. :v:

Well, okay, maybe if we just hung panels on a tubeframe...

Chevy Runs Deep into your passenger compartment

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

Nah, it's fine.

If you think that's bad I'll take a picture of the battery in my car in a few minutes

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's a 3 inch valve, almost 2 inches thick. ice is a bitch.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

iForge posted:

Chevy Runs Deep into your passenger compartment

I knew what the spoiler was going to be and still laughed myself sick. :tipshat:

I think honestly the only really "feels safe" street-driven resto from the 70s or earlier is going to have some kind of cage added. Luckily, aside from old Minis, there's probably often enough room for it, maybe even a hidden one.

I am still willing to get into a Beetle project with her but a good cage is the first thing on the budget. Same goes for the P1800ES that we both want (second thing on that budget is "replace horsehair seat stuffing" :v:).

Re: truck sizes: I can easily see over my mom's F150, circa late 90s. Even on tiptoes, I can't see over the current F150s, which come with a set of loving stairs built into the tailgate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Where are you located? I could probably have this fixed in a couple or three hours.

NoVA. It's probably alright though, I managed to thread a plug on there for a turn or so (just to test). I'd imagine if the plug blew out while still in the threads, the top ones would be missing at least. Plus it looks like you can see the bottom of the threads in this pic:

also a horribly dirty piston