Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Honestly I'm in just for Absu and Inquisition. Don't know how I was unaware of this. Was that the thing Nuclear Assault headlined this summer?

No idea I just heard of it from facebook people. Those are both the main draws for me too, but Abigail, Bulldozer, and Razor are all rad also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Jim Sadist from Nunslaughter had a massive massive stroke and apparently he will be taken off of support tomorrow. The doctors said he will never recover and will have nothing.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Cobra Commander posted:

Jim Sadist from Nunslaughter had a massive massive stroke and apparently he will be taken off of support tomorrow. The doctors said he will never recover and will have nothing.
gently caress man, that sucks. I don't even listen to Nunslaughter but what a terrible thing to happen. :(

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Honestly I'm in just for Absu and Inquisition. Don't know how I was unaware of this. Was that the thing Nuclear Assault headlined this summer?

That was Ragnarokkr. This is a new fest, he does a lot of really good shows in Chicago, this is the first fest though.

Really sucks about Jim from Nunslaughter, he was a really cool. Super funny, really contagious personality. Talked to him a decent amount of times over the last 4 or 5 years...last I saw him was in May, he grabbed a stack of EPs to send off with packages. Big loss to the community.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

symbolic posted:

gently caress man, that sucks. I don't even listen to Nunslaughter but what a terrible thing to happen. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_T2DNUgB_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWGuYpRDj88

WHERE ARE YOU GOING SISTER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvHjSc6967g

Listen to Nunslaughter

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I'm digging it, even if the lyrics are somewhat, I dunno, cheesy? Doesn't seem like the right word but I don't know how else to describe them.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Newest tune off of Anareta.
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2015/10/horrendous-ozymandias-premiere/

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

symbolic posted:

I'm digging it, even if the lyrics are somewhat, I dunno, cheesy? Doesn't seem like the right word but I don't know how else to describe them.

No, you're right, it's totally cheesy, but it rules

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
nunslaughter owns so much.

hail satan.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nunslaughter ftw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YCd2EL80no

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

symbolic posted:

I'm not sure what else you were expecting from a band called Nunslaughter

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
What do you guys think of the band D.R.I? I kinda like them, especially their album Thrash Zone. What is considered to be their best album and their best songs?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Wizgot posted:

What do you guys think of the band D.R.I? I kinda like them, especially their album Thrash Zone. What is considered to be their best album and their best songs?

I think D.R.I - Freak on a Leash.mp3 is their best song

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wizgot posted:

The Dirty Rotten LP is the essential one but I'm not really into crossover stuff.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
DRI owns forever and ever.

this live video owns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlinaPYZovY

but yeah, what Henchman of Santa said, the Dirty Rotten LP is essential and is their best, except it's not really metal, it's before they even started drifting into crossover.

i've also always been partial to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SzkbKZcgls

i saw DRI back in may and they were still amazing live. kurt brecht is 54 years old and is still running around the stage like a mad man. amazing that they can get a crowd so worked up despite the fact that they're a 4 piece that sums up to 200 years of age.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Got the email this morning from Bandcamp, new Panopticon on Oct 16th!

http://thetruepanopticon.bandcamp.com/track/into-the-north-woods

"An autumn themed lament to change and loss while also being hopeful for the road that lies ahead. "

Really digging it! Feels like a definite continuation of Roads to the North ( which itself was a continuation of Kentucky - it's a Trilogy ), in some ways better actually because it feels more melodic and refined. It's always been "the feels"-black metal but I dare say there are more feels this time around - at least as far as the 2 preview songs go. The riffs are on point, great guitar work in general, great mastering/production - less wall of noise, more detail but still pretty rough around the edges which is the point. The vocals are improved too I think - lesser degree of tunnel shrieking and more present rasping/growling.

No violin in the 2 preview songs but the page lists it in 2 others!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Wizgot posted:

Thrash Zone is good. I also like Four of a Kind.

As for songs, I'm partial to "Workerbee", "Thrashard", "Abduction", and "Beneath the Wheel". All in all, good headbanging songs.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i saw DRI back in may and they were still amazing live. kurt brecht is 54 years old and is still running around the stage like a mad man. amazing that they can get a crowd so worked up despite the fact that they're a 4 piece that sums up to 200 years of age.

I'm not big into crossover so I never really got into DRI, but yeah, they are loving killer live. I haven't seen man bands work a crowd like that.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
If anyone's seeing Cattle Decapitation tonight, I'll be the goon in the Ruins of Beverast shirt.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

In totally shocking news, the new Children of Bodom isn't good.

e: :lol: a cover of Danger Zone

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 7, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

In totally shocking news, the new Children of Bodom isn't good.
Halo of Blood wasn't awful, but I probably wouldn't listen to it again with great stuff like Wolfheart coming out recently. Can't imagine the new one being better.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALn7syiGB4
Unlocking The Truth live @ Bonnaroo 6/14/15

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm glad talk of I - Between Two Worlds came up. Listening to it right now and it's kicking my rear end. So many good riffs, the production is in a metal sweet spot of raw and clean and punchy. Abbath is my dude.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

DRI owns forever and ever.

this live video owns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlinaPYZovY

but yeah, what Henchman of Santa said, the Dirty Rotten LP is essential and is their best, except it's not really metal, it's before they even started drifting into crossover.

i've also always been partial to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SzkbKZcgls

I'm really pissed because DRI was in Columbus last week but there was ZERO advertising for their show because there's a new booker at the venue they were at, meaning that I and a shitload of people who would have gone had absolutely no idea that they were even in the city. Needless to say the turn out was dismal, which is really sad because DRI rule.

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte
The recent Megadeth talk made me realize that I hadn't listened to them in many, many years. Rust In Peace was the first Megadeth album I bought when I was about 13 or 14, and this might be nostalgia talking, but I had forgotten how drat good it is.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Back when Dave was still drugged up and pissed at the world Megadeth did make some damned solid music. Now that he's high on the the Lord and really only pissed that he isn't still in Metallica he's just kinda milquetoast. Still a huge prick though.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

kajeto posted:

The recent Megadeth talk made me realize that I hadn't listened to them in many, many years. Rust In Peace was the first Megadeth album I bought when I was about 13 or 14, and this might be nostalgia talking, but I had forgotten how drat good it is.
Rust in Peace is perfection.

That's all you really need to say about Rust in Peace.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.

symbolic posted:

Rust in Peace is perfection.

That's all you really need to say about Rust in Peace.

Humanity Still Producing New Art As Though Megadeth’s ‘Rust In Peace’ Doesn’t Already Exist

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Onion knows what's up.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I gotta be honest, I've never really listened to Megadeth despite their fame. Listening to Rust in Peace now on Youtube whilst I work :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've always favored Peace Sells, some top notch shredding in there. The Conjuring in particular is a masterpiece.. once it hits the three minute mark, oh boy.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

xzzy posted:

I've always favored Peace Sells, some top notch shredding in there. The Conjuring in particular is a masterpiece.. once it hits the three minute mark, oh boy.
kinda same for me, although..

henpod posted:

I gotta be honest, I've never really listened to Megadeth despite their fame. Listening to Rust in Peace now on Youtube whilst I work :)
..trying to imagine a world in which I've never heard Holy Wars or Tornado of Souls.. :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Varg posted:

..trying to imagine a world in which I've never heard Holy Wars or Tornado of Souls.. :stare:

The true horror is that some young metalhead is incapable of buying the original CD and hearing the original sound. They're forced to buy those horrid 2004 remasters when Mustaine went all George Lucas on everything.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

xzzy posted:

The true horror is that some young metalhead is incapable of buying the original CD and hearing the original sound. They're forced to buy those horrid 2004 remasters when Mustaine went all George Lucas on everything.
More Michael Bay, honestly

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Which versions of Rust in Peace songs are used on Greatest Hits: Back to the Start? Because that was my introduction to Megadeth and Holy Wars has been one of my favorite songs ever since.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Which versions of Rust in Peace songs are used on Greatest Hits: Back to the Start? Because that was my introduction to Megadeth and Holy Wars has been one of my favorite songs ever since.
Those are the 2004 remasters. You can tell because the cymbals are an unintelligible mess of hissing instead of sounding like objects making noises.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

The awful remaster versions.

Find the original cds somewhere or download them. So much better.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jim from Nunslaughter had to be taken off life support and has passed away. :(

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/bummer-alert/nunslaughter-drummer-jim-konya-dies-after-suffering-a-stroke

quote:

The report notes that Konya suffered multiple seizures and strokes while in the hospital. He was eventually taken off life support. A memorial page has been set up on Facebook and the GoFundMe is still active with proceeds going directly to Jim's family to help with medical expenses.

https://www.facebook.com/We-Love-Jim-Konya-Fan-Club-968852643153506/timeline/

https://www.gofundme.com/konya666

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Well poo poo. They sounded pretty positive when he was taken to hospital.

Sad day. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm a weirdo and never really took a huge liking to older Megadeth, but I've always like Youthanasia a lot. Train of Consequences is easily my favourite Megadeth song.