Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Cube of Meat exists in the Greed Mode Shop Pool so the Meat Boy achievement is trivially easy to get by playing normally through Greed mode as Lilith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just had the cheesiest and shortest run I've ever had. Grabbed some items on the first few floors was lucky enough to snag some bums to get some extra drops, then found a die room on the 3rd floor with a 1, rerolled me into monstro's lung, leech familiar, and the random tear effect item. Grabbed pyromaniac on the same floor. Found a sacrifice room, and used pyromaniac with the frequent explosive tears to keep my hp up sacrificed my health until both angels showed up and kept up sacrificing and was warped directly to Mega Satan. Exploited the Wrath bosses with pyro and the leech to keep my life full while I wore him down and then only actually had to dodge once he was in his final forms. Maybe 15 minutes, most of which was fighting Mega Satan.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Retro Vision should have applied the flash Isaac filter instead of that weird blurry pixel effect. :colbert:

Also are transformations required for 1001% or just items

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Grapplejack posted:

Retro Vision should have applied the flash Isaac filter instead of that weird blurry pixel effect. :colbert:

I think the only transformation that's actually required is Beelzebub, because there's an achievement for that one. Otherwise, they're optional in terms of completion.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

just items and achievements. have 1001%; never became Poop

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Grapplejack posted:

Everything would look the same to me, though.

Cause' I play with the filter on..Only because the pixely stuff looks all nasty to me.

Or, did you mean old Isaac flash filter

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

has anyone legitimately gotten super bum?

Does Blank Card + 2 of Diamonds in Greed count.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think the only transformation that's actually required is Beelzebub, because there's an achievement for that one. Otherwise, they're optional in terms of completion.

Guppy is too but you'd need that to unlock Cat Got Your Tongue anyway.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 11, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sad Bombs + Mr. Mega + Bomber Boy (the + shaped blast) + Butt Bombs + Poison Bombs + Homing Bombs + several damage ups (Jesus Juice, Small rock and the sin robes are the only ones I can remember, but there were a couple others) + 99 bombs + Sad Onion + Guppy + explosivo + the friendly explosive fly (which also gets all your bomb modifiers) + gently caress, I forget it all.

I one-shot ??? with a single bomb due to Bomber Boy's + shaped blast counting as 5 blasts, each with their own Sad Bomb ring. The halo of attack flies from Guppy probably helped but that single bomb still took off at least 2/3 of ???'s health.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Anchors posted:

It seems like Eden doesn't care about item rarity. I get mega all the time as her.

I've gotten Mega as Eden twice and never seen it outside of that.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

bomber boy is broken good with sad bombs and blast immunity

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Somehow I didn't realise until today that exiting out of a daily automatically finishes it. I figured you'd be able to continue just like in a normal run. Was there anything interesting after Depths 1?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Grapplejack posted:

has anyone legitimately gotten super bum?

LionYeti posted:

Because no sane person would purposefully get Key Beggar.

I had a run yesterday with Mom's Key + Skeleton Key + Humbling Bundle + Key Beggar, unlimited chests pretty much

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Greed mode with Lilith can be ridiculously fun with the right combo of items. One of those combos being Box of Friends + Car Battery + Charged Baby :getin:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The car battery is really, really good for those items it works with.

Car battery + blank card gets hilarious.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Does Car Battery + D6/D100 etc instantly reroll things twice for item pool purposes? I was wondering about that the other day.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Still early, but this is my first top-200 daily!

Early secret room gave a rune bag, abused Ehrwaz to skip Mom, then also able to skip down to actually end up killing Mom's heart.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Power of Pecota posted:

Does Car Battery + D6/D100 etc instantly reroll things twice for item pool purposes? I was wondering about that the other day.
Presumably this is easy to test - but if it can't be tested directly I suggest CB+D4 and see how fast transformations come up versus solo D4.

...not that I know how to test it myself.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

Yes. You reroll again instantly but the stuff from the first roll still counts towards item pools and transformations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Car Battery for Lilith is so drat good, especially when you also have a Charged Baby.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
This question has most likely been asked a million times, but I'll just ask it again: is this game really supposed to be THIS difficult, or am I just terrible/unlucky? -29 winstreak currently, just starting though so it's not like I have dodging down well or anything. Feels like I almost never get anything useful in item rooms and I'm never rich enough to buy anything in the shops so I just donate for the shop upgrades instead since I know I'm dying soon enough anyway (a bit over 100 gold donated so far). I've managed to get to the last stage before the mum stage once and usually my runs end in around stage 2 or 3 depending on my luck with the items/bosses. I'm not expecting to clear the mum this early of course, but it hardly feels like I'm even improving. Should it be expected that a beginner gets plausibly doable/attemptable runs maybe every 10 tries or so?

The longest run was also the luckiest, I actually had a bit of firepower, plus I unlocked Cain on that run since I got Midas touch and somehow triggered one of those long worm things to die and drop two coins per segment. Had a couple nice (if rudimentary) runs with familiars in tow too, those ended with the difficult (to me) bosses like Ragman (so much HP), those two shambling bro things that fling themselves around leaving blood trails and those poop summoning bosses that also fling themselves around the room (normal and the one with corn in it). In general I seem to struggle with the enemies that rush quickly around the room bouncing from the walls plus the ones that don't seem to follow a pattern (like spiders, curse the spiders, lose so much HP to those things since I barely manage to hit 'em).

Major Helper fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 11, 2015

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Major Helper posted:

The longest run was also the luckiest, I actually had a bit of firepower, plus I unlocked Cain on that run since I got Midas touch and somehow triggered one of those long worm things to die and drop two coins per segment. Had a couple nice (if rudimentary) runs with familiars in tow too, those ended with the difficult (to me) bosses like Ragman (so much HP), those two shambling bro things that fling themselves around leaving blood trails and those poop summoning bosses that also fling themselves around the room (normal and the one with corn in it). In general I seem to struggle with the enemies that rush quickly around the room bouncing from the walls plus the ones that don't seem to follow a pattern (like spiders, curse the spiders, lose so much HP to those things since I barely manage to hit 'em).

You barely have anything unlocked, don't feel bad. Once you get along further you'll unlock more poo poo and it'll get easier.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Major Helper posted:

This question has most likely been asked a million times, but I'll just ask it again: is this game really supposed to be THIS difficult, or am I just terrible/unlucky?

Isaac is the best example of roguelike difficulty applied to a non-roguelike that I can think of. The game is chock full of little things that you'll find out as you play that can be applied directly or indirectly to future playthroughs. You'll learn to recognize and prioritize major threats (I have flight this run and there are rocks in the room so I can leave the globins for later, I don't have flight this run so I need to get them out of my face asap before taking care of the shooting worms), react to certain situations that would have you getting hit almost every time before (the caves room with 4 blind spiders on the walls, move about a quarter of the way down to avoid the initial salvo while focusing down one spider, use the safe zone provided by killing it to slowly kill the rest), how to game the system for better odds (I have a judgment card but no coins and a lot of red hearts, better save it for a devil room!) etc. When you start the game you will suck, after a few dozen hours you'll snooze your way through 90% of non-hardmode runs. Keep on keeping on!

For the rushing enemies, move perpendicular to them instead of trying to move away. For the spiders, remember that almost all spider enemies move on a beat. Move, pause, move, pause. Fire at them during the pause, move away when they move, rinse and repeat. Once you get the spider beat down you can be very close to them without worrying about getting hit.

The skeletons who fire bones though, gently caress them.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

AnonSpore posted:

The skeletons who fire bones though, gently caress them.

Yeah Skeletons are like the number one worst enemy.

But yes, this game is brutal to new players but if you can stick it out and start to learn how it works then it's quite enjoyable (and still a challenge a lot of times).

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think the black skeletons are better than the white ones because they at least stand still for long periods of time and blow up nearby enemies when dying.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

The Bee posted:

I think the black skeletons are better than the white ones because they at least stand still for long periods of time and blow up nearby enemies when dying.

It seems like every black skeleton room just has them running into each other and getting suck so I like them.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

actually spiders are the worst enemies

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Anyways, here's my Pro rear end Pro Tips For Newbies to Binding:

1)Take your time. go through each floor slowly, don't take any risks at all. You'll get enemy patterns down and also, in the process, increase your chances for devil room deals which, where you're at in the game, is the easiest way to ensure a win

2) Play Cain. Play Cain and gamble. Don't spend money on anything else, don't spend keys on stores (until you get the dollar, that is), save all your pennies and wait for an arcade or gambling machine to be available, then sink every available penny you have and hope for the dollar to drop. This is the by-far easiest way to get a winning run, especially when you don't have anything past Mom unlocked. a dollar gives you more than enough pennies to clean out several floors of stores which should itemize you enough for a win

3) take all available devil room deals. Devil Rooms have a high chance of spawning if you haven't taken any red heart damage on the floor and on the boss, which is why you want to take your time going through the floors. Unless a devil room deal would literally kill you to make, take them. Devil Room items require heart trades because they're easily some of the most powerful items in the game, and there's only a couple of them that outright suck (and even then, they're more situational over outright lovely). The basis of winning isaac regularly is being able to trigger devil rooms early and outscaling the difficulty ramp the game has via their trades, so get used to triggering devil rooms and trading. The way to win Isaac is to kill everything before it has a chance to injure you, and devil room items are the easiest way to accomplish that aim. Also, knowing what devil room items do means that you can prioritize your favorites and know what builds work best for you. I severely dislike pretty much any tear upgrade that changes how tears fundamentally "work", so even though i can recognize the strength of brimstone, mom's knife, etc i rarely if ever trade for them because I've found that they gently caress up my run too much to be worth it. Some people swear by brimstone though, and they're not wrong - it's very much a to your tastes thing

4) don't use bombs, except to find the secret rooms/free up blocked in chests/uncover mystery rocks. know how and where secret rooms tend to spawn and bomb for them intelligently. You want secret rooms because they have a decent chance of spawning gambling machines, which is what you want

5) 9 Lives doesn't suck and is, in fact, one of the strongest devil room items in the game. Always get it and learn how to play while running it, because it's incredibly common and thus the easiest Guppy item to get. Guppy breaks runs single-handedly

6) For trinkets, run petrified poop. Play the shell game a lot (as Cain, because you're prioritizing gambling) and, when you unlock counterfeit penny, that'll be your go-to trinket even over petrified poop. For a total newbie petrified poop/counterfeit penny are the two strongest trinkets to get

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I found the extra items from 200 donated gold was pretty helpful. Once I unlocked it I ended up wishing I had done it earlier.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sure, but the easiest way to get that many pennies...is by gambling as Cain and getting the dollar. Especially early on, when you don't have the items that generate infinite cash the most easily like blank card, sack head, piggy bank, head of the keeper, etc unlocked. I mean, you don't even start with counterfeit penny unlocked early on, that's how item-deficient a vanilla binding save is

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wow, an Angel Room with the Sacred Heart! And purple fires that shot me for my last full heart while I was marveling at my luck. Dammit.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Identify and neutralize all threats before moving to secure assets beep boop

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Any tips for getting the highest possible daily score? Should I be exploring as many rooms as I can or just powering through floors as fast as possible?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

agreed, gently caress spiders

i think second to them are the fat bats jesus christ just touch the loving tears I mean friendliness pellets.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 11, 2015

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Tetracube posted:

Any tips for getting the highest possible daily score? Should I be exploring as many rooms as I can or just powering through floors as fast as possible?

The most important one is not getting hit, the damage penalty builds up really really quickly the more damage you take, beyond that explore as much of the map as you can, do every challenge/boss challenge room you can and always do the boss rush/the hush if it's possible.
Don't worry about time too much beyond the boss rush/hush requirements because you lose barely any points for time, while you gain a lot of points for getting lots of consumables and exploring the map/finding the secret rooms. Curse rooms aren't all that great either generally, you take two hits usually to go in and almost never get any sort of payout for it.
If you see "we need to go deeper" on a daily that ends before the Cathedral/Sheol you should always take it because it'll let you get as far a Sheol for more points.
Don't worry too much about picking up actual items, unless it's an item that will be 100% useless like on hit items as the lost, just grab them, the point loss for it is absolutely minuscule.

Also I can't recall seeing this linked in here, https://greedbutt.com, someone put together a custom leader board for Isaac that filters out most of the blatant cheaters in the leader boards.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 11, 2015

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Einwand posted:

If you see "we need to go deeper" on a daily that ends before the Cathedral/Sheol you should always take it because it'll let you get as far a Sheol for more points.

Oh drat, if I'd known that before I probably would've broken the top 100 at least once. Thanks

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Zoness posted:

agreed, gently caress spiders

i think second to them are the fat bats jesus christ just touch the loving tears I mean friendliness pellets.

fat bats are fat and easy to hit. the problem is that they have enough HP to tank an explosion and then some

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So I got spider mod during a Greed mode run. After I had beaten Super Greed? Ultra Greed? the final boss of that mode, whenever I hit the gold statue that remained I still had a damage number pop up. I guess that doesn't lead to anything at that point, right?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Carbon dioxide posted:

So I got spider mod during a Greed mode run. After I had beaten Super Greed? Ultra Greed? the final boss of that mode, whenever I hit the gold statue that remained I still had a damage number pop up. I guess that doesn't lead to anything at that point, right?

Nope. Chaos Card doesn't even do anything to it (though it'll hit it multiple times.)

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Toxxupation posted:

Those spiders that run away from you and spawn more spiders are probably the deadliest enemy in greed mode for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

IMJack posted:

Wow, an Angel Room with the Sacred Heart! And purple fires that shot me for my last full heart while I was marveling at my luck. Dammit.

You marveled for like 5 seconds?