Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WizardOfWhispers posted:

Yeah, there's a reason that dodge tanks tend to be popular in Xenoblade. Using Morag or Katana Blades was usually more effective for tanking than relying on Tora or the Shield Hammer Blades.

another factor in this is that getting hit lowers your aggro. dodging an attack doesnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

another factor in this is that getting hit lowers your aggro. dodging an attack doesnt.

I mean I guess I can see how missing your opponent would only piss you off more, but that's dumb.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

:goofy:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xenoblade 2 is like a dog and just sort of does things arbitrarily

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is 3 more intuitive about these things?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Is 3 more intuitive about these things?

Yes, 3 is a lot clearer on its mechanics for the most part. The biggest flaw it has is similar to Xenoblade 1 in that Chain Attacks are so absurdly powerful they become the only thing worth doing when you have one available.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

3 adds visual noise and starts to feel a bit more like pikmin/overlord/an rts game as you lead your death ball around but its more obvious and clear how things work. While it introduces its own cruft, it does remove some of the worst systems or streamline them from XB2.

But chain attacks suck and kind of drag down the game for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair you absolutely don't need to chain attack most of the time and the game can be more fun if you don't, but "don't use the super strong mechanic" is always going to be a big ask.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
it's hard to deprive oneself of "I USED MY THINKIN MUSCLES FOR THIS ONE" and "YIPEE"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

yeah just don't use chain attacks if you don't want

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

...huh

I can sort of see how someone would arrive at that as a game mechanic (a way to prevent an enemy from just focusing down a squishy party member) but I feel like that should turn off when you're actively using aggro-increasing abilities lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

The issue for me was not "chain attacks are stupid overpowered" it was "chain attacks are tediously slow and not much faster than regular combat, but are 100% safe". This in turn just sort of highlights how little there is to do in a given fight in XB3 where by the end I just sort of felt like I was waiting out an idle clicker game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chain attacks are largely a response to complaints about xb2's combos being too overcomplicated - combos still exist in xb3 but are less crucial, and with seven party members will activate on their own without much input from you - and a lot of their damage has been moved to chain attacks

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Oh my god, I just learned about DoTs in XB2 which I’ve been completely oblivious to till this point

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Heropon has dots in 1, right?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, 3 is a lot clearer on its mechanics for the most part. The biggest flaw it has is similar to Xenoblade 1 in that Chain Attacks are so absurdly powerful they become the only thing worth doing when you have one available.

I found chain attacks a lot more powerful for "normal" gameplay in XB2 than in XB1. IIRC making them strong in XB1 requires some research into how they work that the game is even worse than XB2 at explaining. Like there's a "trick" to getting them to continue for a long time (or even indefinitely, I think?). I also don't think you can exploit them easily for most of a normal playthrough?. I went through my entire first XB1 playthrough without figuring out how to get good damage out of chain attacks. Meanwhile they're basically 100% necessary in XB2 if you don't want boss fights to be a huge slog.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There's a surfeit of the usual RPG chaff in KH3 like crafting poo poo, upgrading stuff, side-missions, collectibles, limit-breaks, dual-techs.

I just have no idea what the point of any of it is. Hours into Proud mode and I've only died once. There's no frustration in the combat system, but no necessary friction either to make it compelling. I'm reminded of how Assassins Creed dragged out Ezio for another round, only he brought with him every weapon he had so there was no challenge or progression. I wish combat in KH3 was simpler and cleaner.

Twilight Town is one of series most iconic locales, and its reduced to a pitstop here so unimportant I don't know why they brought it back. Some villains are back from the dead, only they've lost their personalities in the process. A guy with fascinating hair like Zexy should not be putting me to sleep when he talks.

Yeah like the other guy said, if you wanted friction you should've gone Critical, the land of "you can take MAYBE two hits from an equal leveled enemy before dying, if you're lucky and its a weak enemy". Having to actually strategize around the honestly very strong robots in the Toy Story world was a pretty novel difficulty experience for Kingdom Hearts, imo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Meowywitch posted:

Heropon has dots in 1, right?

Yeah and it's like the best way to play him.

HEROPON VERY COOL

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its impossible for me to think about riki in xenoblade 1 without the background detail that he has 11 kids at the start of the game and 14 at the end. what was he doing offscreen

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i see a nopon im grabbing a brick playtime is over

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

its impossible for me to think about riki in xenoblade 1 without the background detail that he has 11 kids at the start of the game and 14 at the end. what was he doing offscreen

Some of his kids are adopted.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I was going to post “never play proud in any kingdom hearts game with critical in it; either normal or critical will always be more fun” but it would have been completely uninformed since I haven’t played half the series. I do think it’s true though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

critical is the best mode

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

This but Attractions beyond the two boss fights that they're mandatory for in Kingdom Hearts 3

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RareAcumen posted:

This but Attractions beyond the two boss fights that they're mandatory for in Kingdom Hearts 3

Setting my game to use Pro Codes just so I can turn off attractions for 1 AP less than normal Critical ftw.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Setting my game to use Pro Codes just so I can turn off attractions for 1 AP less than normal Critical ftw.

I just used drive forms and 4th tier magic spells instead and had a great time of the game even though I skipped to it from 2 :shrug:

I don't know if it was different at launch or they didn't go away if you didn't use them or something but the way people talked about disliking them but never saying 'So I stopped using them' I assume they must've just kept filling up the screen like pop-up ads if you didn't constantly use them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RareAcumen posted:

I just used drive forms and 4th tier magic spells instead and had a great time of the game even though I skipped to it from 2 :shrug:

I don't know if it was different at launch or they didn't go away if you didn't use them or something but the way people talked about disliking them but never saying 'So I stopped using them' I assume they must've just kept filling up the screen like pop-up ads if you didn't constantly use them.

I mean it's just kind of annoying to have to tab past them when they pop up on your list of stuff. Much easier to just turn the whole thing off with Critical/Pro Codes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I started playing Xenoblade 3 not long after launch, and I just now finished it. It's very good.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ys IX was made for twenty bucks, and it still had a better grasp on hack-and-slash combat feel and navigation than KH3 from the same year. I just want to hit things with a sword, not accidentally summon a rollercoaster that does the work for me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Meanwhile they're basically 100% necessary in XB2 if you don't want boss fights to be a huge slog.

Again this is not true it's just the most obvious power spike the game tells you about, there are so many more ways to increase your damage output.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ys IX was made for twenty bucks, and it still had a better grasp on hack-and-slash combat feel and navigation than KH3 from the same year. I just want to hit things with a sword, not accidentally summon a rollercoaster that does the work for me.

No that's dumb. Especially post dlc. I enjoy ys enough but there's not a single fight in them a fraction as engaging as the last run up of bosses in KH3 and they aren't on the same 0panet as the data org fights in the dlc.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This frankly

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terper posted:

Again this is not true it's just the most obvious power spike the game tells you about, there are so many more ways to increase your damage output.

Can you do this before late in the game, though? I know you can do some crazy stuff with the right Blades and aux cores later, but I don't recall anything during most of the main story being competitive with chain attacks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sudden pc port of an old ps1 life sim rpg, world neverland 2. no english translation yet but this is pretty unexpected

idea behind world neverland is like. ultra large scale, play one person in a massive simulated country type deal. never played one of the games myself but they always seemed wild

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Can you do this before late in the game, though? I know you can do some crazy stuff with the right Blades and aux cores later, but I don't recall anything during most of the main story being competitive with chain attacks.

Just landing a full Blade Combo with Break/Topple and a Blade with a good damage boost on it (Wulfric is the go-to for the main game without DLC, Crossette with) will deal a lot of damage, often outright killing story enemies before the final dungeon or so.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

sudden pc port of an old ps1 life sim rpg, world neverland 2. no english translation yet but this is pretty unexpected

idea behind world neverland is like. ultra large scale, play one person in a massive simulated country type deal. never played one of the games myself but they always seemed wild

Oh man, I'm gonna be really hoping for an English translation because that sounds like something I'd love to try

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

You can have the entire Driver combo by Chapter 4, and are almost guaranteed to have it by Chapter 5 (Pyra/Roc/Wulfric or any other Megalance on Rex gives everything but launch, which you can get from either Knuckles on Nia or Pandora from Zeke.)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

All that struggle to amass an army of immortal dragons so that the final boss of Tactics Ogre killed himself while being pelted with rocks and all I get is fuckin' shot on my coronation day because I seem to have taken the dumbest path through the game, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Phantasium posted:

All that struggle to amass an army of immortal dragons so that the final boss of Tactics Ogre killed himself while being pelted with rocks and all I get is fuckin' shot on my coronation day because I seem to have taken the dumbest path through the game, lol.

Lmao