Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man the Gummi Ship stuff in KH3 is so loving lame I kinda wish they just hadn't bothered. And I say this as one of the sickos that REALLY enjoyed the KH2 Gummi Ship content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Can you do this before late in the game, though? I know you can do some crazy stuff with the right Blades and aux cores later, but I don't recall anything during most of the main story being competitive with chain attacks.

https://twitch.tv/videos/703121810

And this is an extreme example, but in this video the above dude plays through the entire* game using only Rex with one Common Blade

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Phantasium posted:

All that struggle to amass an army of immortal dragons so that the final boss of Tactics Ogre killed himself while being pelted with rocks and all I get is fuckin' shot on my coronation day because I seem to have taken the dumbest path through the game, lol.

Yeah, the only good end is the Catuia lives ending, the next least bad one involves going all in on Chaos Frame to make sure every faction likes you, where you don’t get assassinated but an enemy nation’s army is announced to be rolling up at your coronation.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man the Gummi Ship stuff in KH3 is so loving lame I kinda wish they just hadn't bothered. And I say this as one of the sickos that REALLY enjoyed the KH2 Gummi Ship content.

Different strokes, KH3 was like the only time I was really into it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah same, I liked flying around and being able to fight a boss from Einhander

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Last Celebration posted:

Different strokes, KH3 was like the only time I was really into it.

Man, really? I'm usually all for different strokes but it replaced the fully bespoke and unique levels with a bunch of interchangeable samey fights (that you have no way of knowing if you've already beaten until you run into them again) and a tiny handful of largely unexciting bosses, the ship design aspect got severely hamstrung by the level system to the point that you're better off using a pre-built design for most of the game since it can break your cost limit and the whole thing is so easy you don't need to interact with any of the systems at all anyways. What, did you enjoy flying around the bland "open world" and shooting at rocks or something? Was the treasure sphere opening "mini-game" the big draw?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah same, I liked flying around and being able to fight a boss from Einhander

I feel like I would have liked a couple more, all-smaller stages, but god, yeah, those bosses ruled. Especially that spoilered one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, really? I'm usually all for different strokes but it replaced the fully bespoke and unique levels with a bunch of interchangeable samey fights (that you have no way of knowing if you've already beaten until you run into them again) and a tiny handful of largely unexciting bosses, the ship design aspect got severely hamstrung by the level system to the point that you're better off using a pre-built design for most of the game since it can break your cost limit and the whole thing is so easy you don't need to interact with any of the systems at all anyways. What, did you enjoy flying around the bland "open world" and shooting at rocks or something? Was the treasure sphere opening "mini-game" the big draw?

yea. also i usually just use a prebuilt ship anyway in KH games and maybe adjust it by adding an extra cannon or thruster so having to level up to equip extra didn’t bother me much. tbh I only even really bothered with customization in 3, but I’d have probably spent more time on the missions in 2 if getting high scores got you orichalcum and mythrils though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Can you even pitch the ship down properly in KH3? It feels like rail-shooter controls in an open environment. My frame of reference would be No Man Sky and Everspace 2, where the spaceships control as you'd expect.

KH2 had the perfect formula where you only had to complete each gummi level once on the main path. Switching between worlds is quick, and they don't stupidly feed in the game's economy with the gummi economy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imho having the dumb silly minigames feed into the main story is okay, like they shouldn’t be the only option to find certain things unless you’re gonna make the requirements suitably low for clearing them (see: Orichalcum+), but I’d rather do endgame gummi missions for rare crafting materials in KH2 than grind out the gatcha heartless spawns even if the latter would be quicker since yeah, the KH2 gummi missions are actually fun but have nothing to do with the beat-em-up/character action game I signed up for.

Which I guess kinda means my thinking is hosed, but making the dumb ship builder thing connected to KH3 main story progression by letting you find keyblade upgrade items was probably a sign that a decent amount of people also have broke brains in that regard and ignored it in 2.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like KH3's take on the gummy ships because I only ever use the pre-built gummys and it has a lot of cool themed ones.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'll say it again but while I'd never recommend XBC2 to anyone I do think it's my favourite game of the four. I really like the blade combos, the blade concepts (not all of the designs but most!) and EVEN the gacha.
I like the idea of everyone having a different team even though in practice it's not quite like that. I was playing it alongside my girlfriend and we mostly had different blades which felt pretty cool.

XBC3 is objectively a better made and built game but 2 just has some really nice stuff going on in there.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

XC4 just needs to be XC3, but with better villains like the hot men from XC2, and a less fiddly progression system.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want XC4 to not troll me with a premise Im completely on board for that gets near immediately jettisoned.

It wont, and Ill still buy it anyway.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I hope XB 4 makes it weird again tbh. XB 2 feels unique.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope XC4 is XCX2.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/q19wzw.mp4

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I loved playing through the KH3 gummi ship sessions and having to enable and disable inverted controls because it makes no sense in the fixed camera sections.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TheMightyBoops posted:

I hope XB 4 makes it weird again tbh. XB 2 feels unique.

I mean 3 is still quite weird.
But the world isn't as wild as the titans are or the bionis/mechonis

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man. I don't know, I'd genuinely argue Xenoblade 3's world is weirder.

It's a literal fusion between two different worlds populated almost exclusively by vat-grown brainwashed child soldiers who live for exactly 10 years, all of whom live in giant robot fortresses and engage in brutal war battles to steal the very life force of their enemies or else they die even before their already small time limit. The protagonists manage to escape the second part only by gaining the ability to fuse into giant robots. and that's not even getting into the fact people constantly reincarnate

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I more mean XB2 seemed more willing to experiment with progression systems/mechanics to the point of being incomprehensible.

In trying to bridge 1 and 2 in a way I feel like they had to ground the mechanics a bit.

Every blade being a skill tree of side quests is a wild idea for instance.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Prowler posted:

I loved playing through the KH3 gummi ship sessions and having to enable and disable inverted controls because it makes no sense in the fixed camera sections.

Holy poo poo, that's the one. They didn't think to have separate toggle schemes, given that a 2D shoot-em-up and 3D space-sim have different needs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

I more mean XB2 seemed more willing to experiment with progression systems/mechanics to the point of being incomprehensible.

In trying to bridge 1 and 2 in a way I feel like they had to ground the mechanics a bit.

Every blade being a skill tree of side quests is a wild idea for instance.

I think Xenoblade 3 still goes pretty hard. You have a 7 person party, six of whom are absurdly customizable with a bunch of different jobs and can fuse into two different forms, the seventh of which is a rotating character for each slot, one of the Jobs is a Blue Mage who gets a unique skill for every optional boss you can fight, there's two completely separate attack charging mechanics based on the world the job comes from, etc. It isn't as bloated as Xenoblade 2 was but XB3 is still the kind of game where you look at the combat and go "What the gently caress is happening" until someone explains it clearly.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Holy poo poo, that's the one. They didn't think to have separate toggle schemes, given that a 2D shoot-em-up and 3D space-sim have different needs.

This confuses me. The entire point of inverted controls is that it feels more natural to push down to go up for some people in flight segments. Why would that change in 2D? There's plenty of 2D games that still offer inverted controls for flight stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WrightOfWay posted:

Just landing a full Blade Combo with Break/Topple and a Blade with a good damage boost on it (Wulfric is the go-to for the main game without DLC, Crossette with) will deal a lot of damage, often outright killing story enemies before the final dungeon or so.

That's true that story fights usually don't take that long, I guess I'm mostly thinking of stuff like unique monster fights. I just remember chain attacks instantly ending fights against anything that wasn't an end-game superboss enemy.

ImpAtom posted:

Man. I don't know, I'd genuinely argue Xenoblade 3's world is weirder.

It's a literal fusion between two different worlds populated almost exclusively by vat-grown brainwashed child soldiers who live for exactly 10 years, all of whom live in giant robot fortresses and engage in brutal war battles to steal the very life force of their enemies or else they die even before their already small time limit. The protagonists manage to escape the second part only by gaining the ability to fuse into giant robots. and that's not even getting into the fact people constantly reincarnate

I think the nature of 3's setting is interesting enough (though the story doesn't do much with it, outside of the spoilered part), but its zones are definitely less visually distinct/interesting IMO

It also sacrifices a lot by simple virtue of the nature of its setting. It can't really have "a history you explore" like in the first two games, since part of the plot us that this war has basically been static and ongoing for ages.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 19, 2024

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

That's true that story fights usually don't take that long, I guess I'm mostly thinking of stuff like unique monster fights. I just remember chain attacks instantly ending fights against anything that wasn't an end-game superboss enemy.

I’m glad they did that because finishing with a chain attack enhances exp and loot gain.

Also I think the idea behind the big health pools is to build orbs to get the loot and exp gains even higher.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheMightyBoops posted:

I’m glad they did that because finishing with a chain attack enhances exp and loot gain.

Also I think the idea behind the big health pools is to build orbs to get the loot and exp gains even higher.

I also like the chain attacks. This topic initially came up in the context of the argument that chain attacks were more impactful in XB1 and XB3 than XB2, which I disagree with. Particularly XB1 - I would wager most people play through that entire game without ever learning how to get big damage out of chain attacks.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

I also like the chain attacks. This topic initially came up in the context of the argument that chain attacks were more impactful in XB1 and XB3 than XB2, which I disagree with. Particularly XB1 - I would wager most people play through that entire game without ever learning how to get big damage out of chain attacks.

I think a lot of people also play XB 2 without engaging with chain attacks and that’s where the complaint of the monsters being damage sponges come from.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
going back into giftpia with renewed spirit and i took a break immediately before the game got way better lol. still not sure i'd say it's as good as moon but it at least gets less obtuse and has more funny poo poo happening per minute than it does for the first few chapters

the main thing i dont get about it is why half of the map is open from the start when there's nothing to do in it for half the game, since giftpia is strictly linear and there's no side objectives like moon's monsters or chulip's undergrounders it's just like. a whole lot of extra space you have no reason to care about for the first dozen hours of the game. weird decision

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 19, 2024

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I’m playing SRW 30 right now am I love when some random protagonist from a series will exposition dump and then the SRW 30 OG crew members will say something to the effect of: “we’re going to Rome which is cool, maybe we’ll do some sightseeing.”

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

This confuses me. The entire point of inverted controls is that it feels more natural to push down to go up for some people in flight segments. Why would that change in 2D? There's plenty of 2D games that still offer inverted controls for flight stuff.

It's not "in flight segments," it is camera controls, period. For many people, it feels more intuitive to tilt forward to look down and to pull back to look up--it's what our bodies do, and flight controls mimic that.

When you eliminate camera movement, you are no longer needing to "tilt forward and tilt back" to look at things. You're effectively controlling a cursor on the screen. It doesn't make intuitive sense to move a cursor down to go up.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I hope Xenoblade 4 (coming next March) takes full advantage of the power of the Switch 2 to deliver an unforgettable world.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TheMightyBoops posted:

I think a lot of people also play XB 2 without engaging with chain attacks and that’s where the complaint of the monsters being damage sponges come from.

Yea if anything I get so absorbed in doing the combos that the enemies suddenly die and I'm like "oh :("

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I can't turn off tips on saga emerald?? Come on, now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I started playing Megaton Musashi: W Wired. Game doesn't show controller buttons, keyboard only, but otherwise this game is really fun. I just wish it didn't have multiple hours of cutscenes and dialog in between story missions lol.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

don't kid yourselves guys, Xenoblade 3 was peak jrpg

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Eunie was pretty boss

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Meowywitch posted:

don't kid yourselves guys, Xenoblade 3 was peak jrpg

It's really good, but there are things the other Xenoblade games do better.

I'd really like to see something with all the strengths of all the Xeno games. That'd be the peak JRPG. Torna comes kinda close IMO - XB2 with a better party and better fight mechanics. But XB3 still does better at how it deals with party interaction.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And XBX is the best open world they've ever done and one of the peak open worlds in general

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair a good portion of that is that it lets you jump more than 1 inch off the ground without your character breaking their fragile glass knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's genuinely one of my favourite open worlds in any game, you have an incredible amount of freedom in how you explore it but have very credible danger from enemies, incredibly stark geography and it's built at a scale to be explored by giant robots so when you're travelling on foot it feels overwhelmingly, realistically big in a way video game worlds seldom do. It's an incredible achievement in world design even if the rest of the game falls apart by the end