Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

It was a dude that legit argued the value of netgun to stop terrorism or school shootings or something. Probably 10 years ago. Search is doing me no favors atm. It went on for months.

Sounds like a person with some really good ideas, we should all listen to what this clearly handsome person has to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

It was a dude that legit argued the value of netgun to stop terrorism or school shootings or something. Probably 10 years ago. Search is doing me no favors atm. It went on for months.

Well, how many spree shootings have been successfully carried out against a netgun based defense? You can't argue against a 100% success rate.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for distancing myself from my friend because he's a furry?

I have nothing against furries but I think he may have taken it a little to far. He wants me to role play with him all the time. My friend has a furry body pillow, a fox tail he wears, and puts furries as his profile picture. For gently caress sake he even has to clarify he's a furry in his in his account bios.

He wasn't always like this, I miss the old him. I haven't talked to him in nearly 10 months now.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for inviting my sisters ex on a family vacation without her consent?

My sister and her ex split up last year after being together for 12 years. She cheated on him literally because she was bored cuz he worked really long hours and ‘didn’t pay enough attention to her’ In her words.

He broke up with her but they co parent really well and they share 2 great kids together. He is also really close to me and my parents. My family do a huuuugge family holiday each year. I basically invited my bro in law because he’s my best friend and has been for 10 years since I’ve known him.

My parents also really wanted him to come along but my sister flipped her poo poo and said we were disrespecting her as we didn’t ask her first. In my opinion, he is family and idc if she’s uncomfortable. She has been insisting that we cancel the invite otherwise she will just send the kids and she won’t come. But I’m not too bothered about that and tbh neither are my parents but I wanted a second input in case we are way outta line.

AITA?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for secretly telling my parents that my closeted brother is gay after my friend told me?

I need to make this really clear first off, my parents know but this has never been brought up with him so as far as he knows, his secret is still safe. It was like six months ago that I told them and we've all agreed to never force that discussion on him.

Anyways, the real conflict here is between me and my friend who told me he was gay. He said it was pretty hosed up to tell my parents he was gay and I told him it was pretty hosed up to tell me he was gay and now we're arguing over it. My brother is three years older than me and has never had a girlfriend. We all had our suspicions about him over the years to be honest so while nobody is surprised, it doesn't seem right to bring it up with him because he's clearly uncomfortable with telling anyone. I sort of figured it wouldn't matter if I told my parents he was gay because none of us have a problem with that. Plus he's in his late twenties and sees really miserable so I thought that might help explain that to my mom in particular that always tells me she's worried for him.

My gay friend said I broke his trust but he was right to tell me because I deserved to know.

tl;dr Friend told me my brother was gay (he saw him on Grindr), I told my parents and my brother still thinks him being gay is a secret.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean your both lovely seems like the obvious answer

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

What about dropping nets on them with your drones or a netgun

I think this is as close as you could get.

https://www.budk.com/12-Gauge-Skynet-Drone-Defense--3-Pack-35975

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Twelve Batmans posted:

Eat my whole rear end. Don't put it in your song if you don't want it to be sung. HTH.

Not every black person who is uncomfortable with that word is a rapper or musician, or even likes the musicians that do, Jim Crow.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DreamingofRoses posted:

Not every black person who is uncomfortable with that word is a rapper or musician, or even likes the musicians that do, Jim Crow.

Yeah, I don't care. Already stated my position on it, meltdown about it all you like.

Anyway, I don't get the mindset people have about "deserving" to know someone's sexuality. Couldn't he at least have talked to his brother about it, first?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He isn’t the one who melted down friend

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Twelve Batmans posted:

Lol not even hard R. Chill the gently caress out.

Oh yes, the mighty chasm between the 'soft r' and 'hard 'r that makes all the difference. It's like that time when I told the Rabbi and his congregation that the symbol on my t-poo poo was actually an Eastern religious symbol for Suparshvanatha, and besides I was screaming "achtun", not "Achtung" (note the soft g) while doing a ROMAN salute, thank you very much, and the whole synagogue clapped.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What about a very large butterfly net for drones?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

What about a very large butterfly net for drones?

https://thenetgunstore.com/products/spider-net-gun-package

Lol also doing some googling someone makes an anti drone drone haha.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MarcusSA posted:

https://thenetgunstore.com/products/spider-net-gun-package

Lol also doing some googling someone makes an anti drone drone haha.

yup i love dronekillers too. tiny cheap pieces of poo poo that you can put together yourself that can gently caress up expensive drones, like flinging space junk into the iss

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

yup i love dronekillers too. tiny cheap pieces of poo poo that you can put together yourself that can gently caress up expensive drones, like flinging space junk into the iss

That’s awesome and that’s what he definitely should do.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

The White Dragon posted:

That will just start a war of attrition as your neighbor sends more and more drones to overwhelm your defenses.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Should I[f23] tell people I'm crosseyed before meeting them?
[new]
So i [F23] recently started dating using dating apps. On my profile, the pictures that I have uploaded are ones where you can't really see my cross-eye because they are taken at an angle. I'm nervous that when I meet a match in person they will be put off by my cross-eye. I feel like I'm lowkey catfishing them. So I'm wondering if I should tell them when they ask me out that I have a cross eye or if I should just go and meet them without mentioning it. This has been bugging me for a while, so what do u guys think?

TL;DR - should I tell people I'm crosseyed before I go on a date with them?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Literally A Person posted:

Never met a netgun that does anything more than muss up someone's hair.

The solution is clearly some sort of ultra-light gyropack.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
This one is great. The guy didn't respond to her for two weeks lol

AITA for thinking we broke up.
so me and my bf of 4 years have been doing amazing untill an incident.

he went on a trip and I was not able to contact him. I was trying as often as I could to call him and message him. I then logged onto snapchat and found a video of him drunk at a bar and there was naked girls around the bar, I think it was a strip club.

I got mad and decided to go to the local pub and I slept with a guy. i was completely wasted btw. he found out and is mad at me.

I tried explaining that he refused to message me and the only thing I saw was him at a strip club, I thought our relationship was done.

I've now been kicked out and I'm having to move in with my mum.

AITA?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
They deserve eachother lol

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
My BF didn't message me for 2 hours, so I figured we were done and cheated. AITA?

Wait--he didn't message for two whole weeks. AITA for thinking we were done?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for calling my dad shameful for him fighting a waiter over a life buoy?

Okay so at night I got into a nice restaurant with my family and we had a nice meal. The food was great, the service was amazing. Dad spent a lot of money for the dinner.

So my mom noticed a "free life buoy for every purchase of this dessert" and wanted one. My dad asked a waiter to come over and he asked for a life buoy, since according to him, he already spent a lot of money so he should have it.

The waiter started telling him that no, he couldn't, they're only a promo after purchasing the dessert and he offered to make the order for the dessert.

Then my dad started insisting on getting the life buoy stating that he already spent a lot of money on the restaurant. My mom also started pleading with the waiter and stated he should give it since "its my birthday."

So dad asked for the manager, the manager came over and stated the same thing, saying that the promos are monitored by the company so they couldn't give it for free. My dad started saying "give it to us or we'll never eat here again" and my mom started saying the same thing.

Manager left, dad called the waiter and told him "Tell customer service that their service sucks!"

I said "what the gently caress was that?" and looked at my sister who said "its so shameful." And I promptly left the restaurant since I was so ashamed.

The entire time I was whispering to both the manager and the waiter "I'm sorry"

Now it's morning and my dad noticed me giving him the side eye, I told him I'm ashamed of what he did yesterday and he should never do it again.

He states that I don't understand the inner workings of it and said he was insulted by the waiter, that I don't understand they have terrible marketing, and that he spent a lot of money so he shouldn't be the shameful one.

TL;DR Dad shouted at a waiter and a manager for not letting my mom have a life buoy on her birthday. Started shouting at me in the morning for calling him shameful.

AITA? Is there really something wrong about calling him shameful? I apologize if this stuff is obvious to everyone, but I feel stressed out by the shouting this morning that I'm not sure if I did the right thing.

I hope someone answers. Thank you AITA. I'll be hiding in my room now.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for refusing to get a matching tattoo with my mom?

Ok so my mom wanted my family to all get matching tattoos for her 50th birthday, which I (19F) thought was a fine idea at first. My dad HATES tattoos though, so he refused, and my brother is only 16 so he'd have to wait 2 more years, leaving it to be a tattoo with only my mom and I. My mom and I have a very complicated relationship, mostly stemming from her absence during my childhood. We aren't emotionally close at all, and she plays more of a "traditional dad" role in my life. She handled my mental illness terribly, always making me feel like I needed to comfort her and reassure her that my being depressed wasn't her fault. I'm not really angry about that, nor do I really resent her for it. It kind of just is what it is. A couple months ago, she asked me to get the tattoo with her and to pick a design, which I did and I initially felt ok about it. I'm starting to get cold feet now, and I told her that today. I don't want to put something on my body for the rest of my life unless I'm 100% sure I want it there, and I'm not sure at all about this. She was, understandably, upset and is now crying in her room. I feel awful, and like I should have just gone along with the tattoo. Am I the rear end in a top hat? Could I have handled this better?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That’s not fair, he was in a strip or something.

It was still an insane overreaction tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
asking your whole family to get matching tattoos for your 50th birthday is absolutely batshit insane unless you're all carnies or something

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to get a matching tattoo with my mom?

Ok so my mom wanted my family to all get matching tattoos for her 50th birthday, which I (19F) thought was a fine idea at first. My dad HATES tattoos though, so he refused, and my brother is only 16 so he'd have to wait 2 more years, leaving it to be a tattoo with only my mom and I. My mom and I have a very complicated relationship, mostly stemming from her absence during my childhood. We aren't emotionally close at all, and she plays more of a "traditional dad" role in my life. She handled my mental illness terribly, always making me feel like I needed to comfort her and reassure her that my being depressed wasn't her fault. I'm not really angry about that, nor do I really resent her for it. It kind of just is what it is. A couple months ago, she asked me to get the tattoo with her and to pick a design, which I did and I initially felt ok about it. I'm starting to get cold feet now, and I told her that today. I don't want to put something on my body for the rest of my life unless I'm 100% sure I want it there, and I'm not sure at all about this. She was, understandably, upset and is now crying in her room. I feel awful, and like I should have just gone along with the tattoo. Am I the rear end in a top hat? Could I have handled this better?

What's the tattoo?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Khazar-khum posted:

What's the tattoo?

"Cum Slut" tramp stamp in old english font.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

asking your whole family to get matching tattoos for your 50th birthday is absolutely batshit insane unless you're all carnies or something

I don't know if it's npd, but it's definitely incredibly n.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Resting Lich Face posted:

A giant count chocula hovering over the pyramids of Giza casting a shadow over onlookers with blood dripping off his fangs. :drac:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Resting Lich Face posted:

That's better than it could be. And here I was, thinking it might be something tasteless.

Khazar-khum fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 5, 2019

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Power Khan posted:

This one is great. The guy didn't respond to her for two weeks lol

AITA for thinking we broke up.

She would be totally justified for deciding that they are no longer together and if her response to that is a one night stand, more power to her.

Thinking it's totally cool because you thought he broke up with you so it was just a misunderstanding and not fathoming why she was kicked out shows that she's both immature and an idiot.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Khazar-khum posted:

What's the tattoo?

It's not even a swastika, just a tasteful iron cross!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not firing my homophobic employee despite another employee being uncomfortable with his presence?

I own a relatively big business and there's 2 employees in question here: I'll call them Sam and Rob. Everything about Rob screams redneck, he's from the south, has a heavy accent, and as I recently learned hates gays too. Sam is pretty much the complete opposite, she's a lesbian from Boston and wears a pride bracelet. I'm bi too btw.

​No one knew Rob's stance on gay rights till Sam decided to go stalk him and learned that he's against gay marriage. So she comes up to me and demands (in a light tone) to fire him since she feels his views directly attack her very existence (her words). Rob may be a homophobe but he's undeniably a hard worker and brings a LOT to the company. Sure we wouldn't go under if I fire him but I benefit from him working. I ask her if he has said anything to her face or discriminated against her because that's the only basis on which I could fire him on and she says no. I tell her that while I don't agree with his views I'm not going to fire him unless he discusses how much he hates gay people with others.

​She didn't take that too well and accused me of favoring him over her. Yeah of course I favor him over her he brings triple what she does to the company. I wish he wasn't a bigot but I can't change people, plus I'm here to make money, not friends. That was like, 30 minutes ago? And now I'm writing this. AITA?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Is it fair for me (26F) to breakup with my BF (24M) of nearly 4 years for reasons entirely beyond his control?

He got a promotion at work about 6 months ago which we were both SUPER happy about because he's been passed over a couple times and worked really hard to earn. We knew the hours would change some, and there might be some weekends here or there. We anticipated having to make some changes.

But, the schedule isn't AT ALL what they told him it would be, and it's not what the previous person in this position had.

I work 9-530, Mon thru Fri with 1 Sat a month. He was working 7-4 in his old role, with Saturdays for a month 4 times a year. He's now on 4 pm - 1 am Wed thru Fri and 3 pm to midnight on weekends. He's worked every single weekend since the promotion, as well as every holiday.

We literally never see each other. By the time he comes home, I'm in bed. He's still asleep when I leave in the morning. I have most weekends off, he has none. Sometimes we can grab breakfast on the weekends but we can't do any activities together because he needs to leave for work at 2 pm.

He's asked why he doesn't have the schedule the person he replaced did and was told simply "We need you on this shift". He's asked if it was permanent and they told him that yes, this is a 2nd shift position now. When he was first promoted they told him "a few weeks" but the schedule never changed.

He's hesitant about looking for a new job because he's making AMAZING money, and he's unlikely to get immediately back into the same advanced position with a new company. He's looked and even had a couple interviews and that was pretty much confirmed. He got an offer but it was an offer for his OLD role at a different company because he hasn't been in the more advanced position long enough to have the right experience.

The final nail was when they cancelled his vacation next month. We had a week long trip planned 2000 miles away from home. We had flights and hotels booked, events paid for and now...... pleh. He can't go. He's encouraged me to take a friend, but airline tickets aren't transferrable and flights now are stupid expensive. I also don't know of any of my friends who would WANT to go to these events..... and I wanted to go with HIM.

Even if I did go alone or find an interested friend, like 50% of the trip just gets eaten in what he can't get refunded.

None of this is really his fault but I'm really feeling like I can't do this a minute longer. I'm so incredibly lonely. It's like I now live with a roommate that I never talk to. It doesn't feel fair to breakup with him for something he can't control but this is NOT a relationship. It's barely even a friendship anymore. I can't and wouldn't ask him to take a $5-7/hr pay cut. I know getting some debts paid off is a priority to him. And if anything happened and he left this job for me, he would just be resentful.

I can't change my shift because my field doesn't generally even HAVE a second shift.

But there's no end in sight to this and I'm really feeling like if I'm going to be single I'm just going to BE single.

I love him. But we haven't had a relationship in 6 months.

I guess I actually AM asking permission to break up. It just makes me feel like a horrible person, so maybe some suggestions of what to say that DOESN'T make it sound like his fault would be good.

Thanks!

tl;dr BF got promoted and now we have no relationship due to his schedule. I understand his reasons fir wanting to stay in the job, but we just had to cancel an expensive vacation because they cancelled his time off, and I've hit the end of my rope. How can I let him down as kindly as possible so that he understands this isn't his fault but I can't do this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not firing my homophobic employee despite another employee being uncomfortable with his presence?

I own a relatively big business and there's 2 employees in question here: I'll call them Sam and Rob. Everything about Rob screams redneck, he's from the south, has a heavy accent, and as I recently learned hates gays too. Sam is pretty much the complete opposite, she's a lesbian from Boston and wears a pride bracelet. I'm bi too btw.

​No one knew Rob's stance on gay rights till Sam decided to go stalk him and learned that he's against gay marriage. So she comes up to me and demands (in a light tone) to fire him since she feels his views directly attack her very existence (her words). Rob may be a homophobe but he's undeniably a hard worker and brings a LOT to the company. Sure we wouldn't go under if I fire him but I benefit from him working. I ask her if he has said anything to her face or discriminated against her because that's the only basis on which I could fire him on and she says no. I tell her that while I don't agree with his views I'm not going to fire him unless he discusses how much he hates gay people with others.

​She didn't take that too well and accused me of favoring him over her. Yeah of course I favor him over her he brings triple what she does to the company. I wish he wasn't a bigot but I can't change people, plus I'm here to make money, not friends. That was like, 30 minutes ago? And now I'm writing this. AITA?

Yeah I mean it sucks that the dude is a poo poo head in his personal life if he hasn’t done anything at work I don’t think it’s fair to punish him. Lots of people have poo poo views about things but if they don’t bring it into the work place then :shrug:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
If you're homophobic it's 100% guaranteed you're too rock-gently caress stupid to realize that you ARE treating your queer coworkers differently, they CAN tell, and they will not confront you directly out of fear that you will gun them down where they stand.

he's bringing it into his work and he's too dumb to realize. This managerial pinhead is too greedfucked to see that extremely obvious-rear end fact.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

If you're homophobic it's 100% guaranteed you're too rock-gently caress stupid to realize that you ARE treating your queer coworkers differently, they CAN tell, and they will not confront you directly out of fear that you will gun them down where they stand.

he's bringing it into his work and he's too dumb to realize. This managerial pinhead is too greedfucked to see that extremely obvious-rear end fact.

Yeah like the idea of a racist “leaving it at home” when he works around black people is so obviously wrong. Why would it be any different for homophobes?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I ask her if he has said anything to her face or discriminated against her because that's the only basis on which I could fire him on and she says no.

I mean that’s what she said.

He may very well do that but if he’s not then yeah it sucks he has poo poo views but so do lots of people.

Edit: Also the post only says that he’s against gay marriage not that he wants to murder gay people or put them in camps.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 6, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

MarcusSA posted:

Edit: Also the post only says that he’s against gay marriage not that he wants to murder gay people or put them in camps.

the one begets the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Guys a piece of crap, but like he has to actually come out and express to make it into A Thing, this is the right move.