Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

This is a bike to far and I'm considering leaving my company because of it.

Tell that to your boss. Let him handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

How the gently caress are you inconvenienced by someone's folding bike in the office? Are you deathly allergic to chain grease?

The only problem I have people's bikes in our office is the same problem I have with the dogs in the office, namely that I don't have one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm going to assume she brushed up against someone else's folding bike in the lift and got a bit of mud on her clothes.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

It's *slightly* weird since I only see things in multiples of 4 these days. It's probably a good amount actually for the sort of person who falls for Nigerian money scams?

Wasn't there some odd intel chipset a few years back that did things in multiples of 3? I remeber seeing lots of 3 and 6 gb builds a while ago.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Wasn't there some odd intel chipset a few years back that did things in multiples of 3? I remeber seeing lots of 3 and 6 gb builds a while ago.

Triple channel RAM was a thing on some mobos for a while.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LGA 1366, as used by the original Core i7s and a few low-end Xeons, supported three DDR3 channels so everything was in threes.

That never saw laptop use, so all the 6GB laptops are just derpy 4+2 setups. IIRC an imbalance between the channels screws up the multi-channel mode so you only get single channel memory bandwidth. Of course that's still better than swapping if you don't have a choice, but it should be avoided if you have the choice so I always hated that some OEMs would ship that way.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just keep riding it. She's being petty and stupid. You already cleared it with your building and have paperwork stating so. If they fire you over something as stupid as this then I would expect to get a huge severance package out of the deal.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm going to assume she brushed up against someone else's folding bike in the lift and got a bit of mud on her clothes.

That was similar to the justification that a building I worked in once gave for banning my bike - people felt it looked "indecent and low-class" in the "high-end glass elevators".

I was told I could use the freight elevator if I wanted to keep bringing my bike to our office, though. :v:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Kyrosiris posted:

That was similar to the justification that a building I worked in once gave for banning my bike - people felt it looked "indecent and low-class" in the "high-end glass elevators".

I was told I could use the freight elevator if I wanted to keep bringing my bike to our office, though. :v:

Woof, the pretentiousness stings.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I worked at a super lovely call center doing tech support for Sprint once out of college for about 10 weeks, like the lovely tier 1 forced to read from a script type deal. I biked into work from day one, about 2 weeks in my shift supervisor stopped me in the hall to tell me that I could no longer change in the bathroom from my commuting clothes. Mind you this was a single bathroom that locked so it wasnt like I was behind a row of urinals changing for everyone to see everyday. I hated the job so I ignored him and kept doing it anyway. Later came to find out that him and all of the other shift supervisors preferred that bathroom to the bigger one down the hall and that is why he tried to get me to stop using it. Wasn't an official policy or anything like that or a notice by HR, just one lovely supervisor.

Point being you probably reminded her of her yearly attempt at fitness or something and now she's pissed for no reason.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

luminalflux posted:

How the gently caress are you inconvenienced by someone's folding bike in the office? Are you deathly allergic to chain grease?

The only problem I have people's bikes in our office is the same problem I have with the dogs in the office, namely that I don't have one.

I want an office dog. It would solve many of my problems such as not having a cool dog to play with.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Kyrosiris posted:

"People" meaning the one person who pushed the policy through, I'm sure.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

HP DL360 G7 (Xeon 5600) does channels of 3 slots, Gen8 (Xeon E5-2600) does 4 channels of 3 slots.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I want an office dog. It would solve many of my problems such as not having a cool dog to play with.

Today there's a pug, a lab and 2 corgis in the office.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Someone riding a bmx bike to work? Road bikes seem pretty upper-middle to me.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not pissing me off: my new supervisor wants to have me train with one of our programmers. I thought this would just be a thing to do in little stretches to keep me engaged and motivated.

Turns out I was wrong. It turns out that she wants to get me trained up to the point that I can transfer over and be a full-time programmer. Heading straight from the T1 helpdesk to a programming role. This is what I had been thinking was the absolute perfect thing that would never happen.

The only possible fly in the ointment right now is that my director needs to convince the executives to convert me off contract to full time. I have been doing a great job, we need the staff, and I know the CFO on a first name basis, but I'm paranoid because this seems too good to be true.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Leaking a passive-aggressive memo banning bikes in any one of the major tech hubs would be a PR nightmare for most companies.

So there you go.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wolrah posted:

LGA 1366, as used by the original Core i7s and a few low-end Xeons, supported three DDR3 channels so everything was in threes.
I have a 15GB i7 920 at home. 4+4+4 1+1+1

I have some RAM laying around that I could throw in it but what am I really going to do with 24GB?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

I have a 15GB i7 920 at home. 4+4+4 1+1+1

I have some RAM laying around that I could throw in it but what am I really going to do with 24GB?

I have 16g at home and really the only thing I can say about it is that memory leaks take so long to eat up that much RAM that I've usually gone to bed long before issues crop up.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

psydude posted:

Leaking a passive-aggressive memo banning bikes in any one of the major tech hubs would be a PR nightmare for most companies.

So there you go.

On top of most companies and their health insurance providers actively trying to promote general health. I've heard of a lot of companies that offer benefits to bike commuters or build new bathrooms and bike racks to encourage more employees to ride in.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've been at home all week with a hosed up back so I come in today to see how far along my unitasker 'senior system analyst' has gotten on this edi project. We were getting test data from the vendor on Friday so we just needed to line some part numbers up...

Of course he hit a bump in the road and didn't get anywhere all week.

The vendor submits their part numbers as the description of the part. So instead of A12012 they send over 'Foobar buzz model 123 XL'

This causes two problems, some of them aren't unique until you get to the 30 character mark, and our software only lets you have a 30 character long part #. Second, some of the descriptions have colons or whatever in them which fucks up the parsing at some point. gently caress.

Turns out someone here sent them our 'catalog' with the descriptions as part numbers etc. Okay, well just use our internal part numbers. Problem loving solved.

Hi Dumb Dickface,
Agreed, there is no need for any excess stuff in the part IDs. Really you should be using your actual part IDs. When do you plan on going EDI?

Thanks,
--Kevin

OMG JUST USE THE loving PART NUMBERS

I literally have to stand over this guys shoulder and every few minutes when he gets stuck "Okay now call the person and ask them what format they want" instead of walking around telling 20 people you're trying to figure out what format to send data over in.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

And to top it off he's running around trying to spread rumors about the new ERP system and telling everyone how terrible it is and how they won't be able to get it working 'with our business' and how Bob is just a 'dumb kid who has no experience and will leave in a year' (I'm almost 35).

Going to can this fucker the first chance I get when we do the switchover. Our CEO has said it's a matter of when, not if he'll try something stupid like deleting a bunch of data etc.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Our CEO has said it's a matter of when, not if he'll try something stupid like deleting a bunch of data etc.

What the gently caress? Why wait then?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Migishu posted:

Get the approvals again and e-mail her back. She's just made this policy up right there and then and told you to stop it. If she makes a fuss, e-mail it to her boss and tell her the policy is absolute bs.

If everything is fine with the building code, and everything is fine with other company policies, and she feels it could be used as a weapon, start asking if you should leave other poo poo at home because it could be used as a weapon. I could certainly use my work laptop, or monitor, for example, as a weapon. What about my water bottle, or my mug, or a pen?

This is a stupid policy made up by some stupid higher up because she feels inconvenienced for some stupid reason. Call her out on her bs.

quote:

It has come to my attention you are attempting to store your bike in our work space. Unfortunately, due to the limited public space we have in our NYC office, we are unable to accommodate your request at this time. Our lease is up in a few years and we hope to be able to offer this in the future. However, at this point, we just do not have the extra space.

quote:

Due to the number of employees we have in the office and similar requests to have bikes in the office which unfortunately we have had to deny, we are not comfortable with your bike being moved throughout the office, nor do we have the room should others begin to do the same thing. You could easily hit an employee which could cause issues.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Honestly if you're thinking about actually leaving because of this, there's no reason to give a gently caress. Stir up a stink, get her boss involved, leak the email to Techcrunch...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Idgi. It's a folding bike, so I assume you're storing it under your desk or in the corner next to your trash can. So why does space come into the equation.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

psydude posted:

Idgi. It's a folding bike, so I assume you're storing it under your desk or in the corner next to your trash can. So why does space come into the equation.

Some people will take any power afforded them and attempt to use it for no reason, just to prove to themselves that they can.

This is the basis for like 90% of office politics and the reason I avoid that poo poo as much as possible.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

psydude posted:

Yeah, like, if it was a fullsize bike I could kinda get it if the office was tiny or nearly full but it's a folding bike. That's the whole point of 'em.

Also this is what got me shunted to the freight elevator way back when so I dunno. :v:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

We are a MSP been helping a startup get going, they really needed Visual Studio Ultimate but didn't want to pay for licensing we managed to get them setup with Bizspark(filled out every form for them) getting them literally hundreds of thousands of dollars in free software they are utilizing. We also setup their server/domain/etc for like half our usual price. Since the server project they have been nagging us for day to day helpdesk stuff without a service contract we have been doing it for basically free trying to get them to sign a contract (2k a month for about 18 people unlimited support 24 hour sla an insane deal for their needs). They recently got a huge investor but they are still price shopping us they have been calling every MSP in the area to come in and give proposals trying to get us to drive our price down further after we have already single handed made their entire operation financially viable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As all things, I think people should be handled like adults on a case by case basis and it's dumb that the bike is not allowed.

However, given the actual responses, I can see that there may be a reason beyond "power mad" going on here. Yes, it's office politics, but it's also procedure and policy based as well.

At this point, they are at a decision intersection. If nothing is done, the implied policy is bikes are allowed to be stored in the office with no special conditions. That could obviously cause issues if people start bringing in full sized bikes.

So, some line has to be drawn. They could draw the line at getting prior approval or a criteria that the bike must stow under your desk. However, the option that provides the least friction in the long term is an outright ban.

It's dumb and it runs afoul of treating people like adults, but I can see why it's being done beyond being petty.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
HR being petty you say?!

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I'd call her bluff and tell her to point out the policy in the employee manual.

You should start to see a whole lot of backpedaling shortly thereafter.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

GOOCHY posted:

I'd call her bluff and tell her to point out the policy in the employee manual.

You should start to see a whole lot of backpedaling shortly thereafter.

You could Kill someone with our employee handbook, it's roughly 500 pages. There is probably definitely a provision in there somewhere that directives from the vice president level or above are to be followed, especially if you're a lowly Global Support Desk Peon.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

You can ignore requests and call bluffs all you want but they can probably also just fire you. Keep that in mind.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kyrosiris posted:

Also this is what got me shunted to the freight elevator way back when so I dunno. :v:

If that were a Ridley, they'd allow it

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
I'm starting to be curious: are you sure the VP is fully aware it is a compactable bike? Those replies read as if it's just a regular bike.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Lightning Jim posted:

I'm starting to be curious: are you sure the VP is fully aware it is a compactable bike? Those replies read as if it's just a regular bike.

I sent the picture of it "taking up space", multimedia and all.

I went out to check on my bike, and my brake cable nuts are missing on my front brake... FFS of all the things to go missing!

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 7, 2015

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

psydude posted:

It sounds like the argument is "if we let you bring in your bike, then all of the other children resources will want to bring their bikes too and we don't have the room for that, nor the management skills to explain the difference between a folding bike and a full size bicycle and why we can allow the one but not the other..."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I sent the picture of it "taking up space", multimedia and all.

I went out to check on my bike, and my brake cable nuts are missing on my front brake... FFS of all the things to go missing!

Start looking for a new job, send the HR person an invoice for the nuts, the extra time it takes you to get home, and the time it takes you to install the new nuts (most shops work in half hour increments). Seriously, if they're being that petty and lovely and it results in your commute being an hour longer, find something new. You're in NYC, right? It's not like TV station Solid Snake box guy who lives in the middle of nowhere.

E: If you think your boss will go to bat for you, you can mention how you are having to take an extra hour each way to commute because you aren't allowed to bring your bike inside anymore. Especially since on the first day you put it outside someone already sabotaged the brakes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

You Look Like poo poo pissing me off.

The VP of HR has emailed me out of the blue stating that I could not bring a folding bike into the office citing "potential to hit employees which will cause issues", "no space to accommodate", "building wouldn't allow it" and other canned slippery slope responses. Thing is, it fits under mine and everyone else's desks comfortably, there is plenty of unused space in the office, I cleared my particular model with building security, and my manager and coworkers were nothing but supportive of my choices. I believe a managing director shaped roughly like a bowling ball saw it and expressed interest in it. Now I have to get home an hour later or leave my bike at the tender mercies of Midtown street parking because reasons. I let them know about the hardship induced on me and their response is "we'll revisit this when we lease our next office in a few years."

This is a bike to far and I'm considering leaving my company because of it.

In another thread I mentioned as insulting as it was to get a Security+ at my point in my career just so mgmt could say "our entire team has X certification" wasn't a hill to die on. Impacting my commute time with petty, nonsensical bullshit is totally my hill to die on. I would continue to do it and dare them to take action.

I realize you may have to weigh other considerations such as the local job market, family situation, debt, etc... But at the very least I'd be looking to :yotj: if it were me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My nightmare today:

I'm configuring an application at a MAJOR BANK that needs LDAP authentication. I have two documents from the bank, one dated a year ago, that says they only allow Kerberos. Another dated later that says if you can't do Kerberos then you can do NTLM or Basic, but both say it can be with or without TLS. A third undated document says TLS is optional.

Then they don't give me an LDAP connection strin (dn=, cn=,ou=) sort of thing. Now, I have to have this working by next Friday, so I asked the client PM for an LDAP contact. He directs me to a guy that "can answer all your LDAP questions, he's an LDAP expert".

I ask him for the CN of a user account to test, and the LDAP string, so I can do Active Directory authentication. He responds "Wait you wanted help with LDAP, what is "Active Directory" I don't know anything about it."

:smith:

Then I showed him an example LDAP CN string or whatever you called it, and he said "I have no idea what that is."

:facepalm:

Then I ask him for help getting the CA for TLS, and he looked at my like I had three heads.

:psyduck: