Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gently caress Your Website posted:

My [25M] girlfriend [24F] only watches "tasteless" movies and television, doesn't ever watch things i like. I asked her to watch something I like for once and she got angry and stopped talking to me.
u/badmoviesthrowaway

Spoiler: I agree with the girlfriend regarding the spoiler above

Girlfriend is cool, OP is a dipshit.

Also lol at trying to portray this as a matter of "intelligence", faux-intellectuals do this poo poo all the time and they have no idea how stupid it makes them look. Case in point any intellectual will tell you that Mark Hamill is the best Joker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean she made sure a) to dump him there with his bags b) to dump him in a city where he has family c) did it in the middle of a vacation. The fact that he managed to get fired is entirely his own fault. The lady was if anything merciful and benevolent in her retribution.

To be fair, she could have dumped him in the middle of nowhere and the exact plot of Deliverance could have happened to him and people would still be on her side in this.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My simpleton girlfriend enjoys tasteless movies like the Oscar-winning film The Shape of Water, how do I convince her to prefer the classy films that intellectuals like myself enjoy, such as The Dark Knight Rises and Batman Forever?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

QuarkJets posted:

My simpleton girlfriend enjoys movies like the Oscar-winning film The Shape of Water, how do I convince her to prefer the films that intellectuals like myself enjoy, such as The Dark Knight Rises and Batman Forever?

Nah you see, Best Picture winner The Shape of Water is just a chick flick. Not a film for intellectual titans like me.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
How old is mister PM_Me_Your_Boobs7 where he managed to buy a home before getting his first kiss???

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
The Dark Knight is the only good live action Batman movie.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Extensive Vamping posted:

I know a man who named his son Neo, and someone else who named his daughter Morrigan.

I think Irish myth would like a word with you. At least Morrigan's a name!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

:capitalism:

I [29 F] am pregnant with twins, my fiance [26 M] wants to give them stupid names.
u/queenbeef

Just give 'em the middle names Parker and Wayne or something.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for calling my girlfriend a slut?

I have been with my girlfriend for five years. Our years has been up and down in conflict, and we have had our fights over issues.

​Since the start of our relationship, when we went out drinking with friends, we all started playing "Never have I ever". She told everyone about the several times she has slept with different people in different situations. for example, "I poked him on the shoulder, and then we ended up in bed", and "I was heading on a afterparty, but then this guy asked me to join him home, so I did". If you make those examples and add 30 different ones, you have it all (that I know of)

When she first told them a couple of them, It was entertaining, who has not slept with other people when you are close to their thirties, right?

​After the eight story, I felt at an unease, thinking that my girlfriend was sharing too much, and that she was putting herself in a bad light, and that I felt my stomach churn for each new story she told. I took it up with her, that I thought and she said, "its in the past, it does not matter now".

​I do agree with that statement, but it still keeps bothering me that she mentions those stories. When all comes to all, I get the impression that she is unknowingly calling her self cheap, and easy to get to bed.

​I took it up with her today, after she told a entertaining story about peeking on some boys in the shower at high school. When the story finished, she again ended it with, "he was the worst guy that I ever slept with". I again felt my stomach churn because of it and saw it as the final straw, so I confronted her with my reasoning, saying that, she gives the impression of being cheap, and easy, and it makes me feel bad. I hope you can respect me enough to try to contain yourself from saying these stories when I am present, as I don't like to hear them and you are putting yourself, and myself by proxy in bad light.

​She said that she couldn't help herself, and that she blurted these things out sometimes, and that she couldn't guarantee that she did so in the future. I said that it was okay if that happened, but when she did, she could afterwards, say that "I know you feel bad when I am telling these stories." So that it does not bother me so much, and I know she cares about how I feel.

​She would not listen to that suggestion, and I said, that "It is not interesting to hear about your past when you once poked a guy on the shoulder, and that made you go sleep with him afterwards. You were acting like a slut".

She then got furious and angry with me for calling her that, and here I am. Am I in the wrong here?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for asking my husband's friends to stop bringing over their butthole seeking crotch goblins?

So the main story happened over a week ago but it kind of got rehashed last night and I need to know if I'm in the wrong here. TLDR at the bottom I'll try my best to keep the length to a minimum.

So I could write novels about how many things these boys (3 and 4) have broken or ruined. Their parents don't watch them and let them destroy my house. I don't let them play in my sons room anymore because they break all his things. I've asked the parents multiple times to watch them if they bring them but they never do.

These friends are our next door neighbors. They live with their grandparents for help raising their kids. They come over every day to game with my husband and I but I can't game with them anymore because I have to make sure the kids don't destroy my home.

Onto the moment in question. I have PTSD for reasons that will probably become obvious through the story but I still don't wish to go into detail. My home is my safe space and I rarely leave. About a week ago they came over as usual and I was busy cleaning up after dinner so they left the kids in the kitchen/ living room. I went into the game room and asked them to please take the kids in there so I could finish clean up without worrying about their mess too (the parents never clean up their kids epic messes).

They laughed and said the kids were fine. Whatever. I wasn't in the mood to argue and I'm not usually a very confrontational person so I let it go and went back to cleaning. The 4 year old followed me into the kitchen and as I bent down to put some things away in the bottom drawer this loving child drills his little finger like dead center into my butthole. I froze and started to feel a panic attack rising. I turned to him and said very sternly do not ever do that again. He giggled and I locked myself in my room and until I could calm down and regain my composure.

They eventually left and I told my husband what happened and that it had caused me to have a panic attack. I asked him to tell them their kids are no longer allowed as I put up with so much poo poo but this crosses the line. As I've said my home is my safe space and I know he is a child and probably was unaware what he did was wrong but that's the problem. They don't teach him anything so I can't realistically expect that sort of thing to never happen again.

Now originally my husband agreed but the friends flipped out saying being irrational and overreacting. They stopped talking to us. Until my husband invited them and their kids over yesterday without talking to me.

I opened the door and saw who it was and the kids with them. I told them they were welcome to come in but they needed to leace the kids with the grandparents. They flipped, my husband flipped and now none of them will speak to me.

Am I in the wrong? Am I being an rear end in a top hat? I know he is just a kid but God drat they know better if you loving teach them.

Edit: forgot TLDR

TLDR friends kids gave me a panic attack. I asked them to stop bringing them. Husband sided with friends. They all think I'm overreacting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

She then got furious and angry with me for calling her that, and here I am. Am I in the wrong here?

Yes you are an rear end in a top hat for calling her a slut.

She is weird as gently caress though for continuously bringing up all of her bast sexual situations. Everyone has a past but to keep brining it up especially when it comes to sex stuff is weird.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

InediblePenguin posted:

there are constantly more and more stories of how horrifying the conditions are and have been whenever the state is in charge of caring for vulnerable people, like the rapes and murders of children in residential housing in Florida and every other state where they've ever done the thing, and here is the dumbest person of the week going DUMB BOOMERS BELIEVE EVERYTHING THEY SEE, MENTAL HOSPITALS IN THE PAST WERE AMAZING

if you want to have a serious discussion about the hells Reagan and his cronies wreaked on the state of mental care in this country i'm all for it but you should probably stop massively misquoting me just to fail to score internet points on a dead gay forum, you hysterical child.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Midnight Voyager posted:

I think Irish myth would like a word with you. At least Morrigan's a name!

It was after a video game character

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

tired: naming your kid after Morrigan from Dragon Age
wired: naming your kid after Morrigan from Darkstalkers

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Anne Whateley posted:

The one-way road trip is hosed up and not okay imo

This, especially since it might have been pretty funny if she found out about the cheating during the trip and was just like "gently caress you", but she acted like nothing was wrong for A MONTH. Like regular relationship, assuming with regular hanging out, friendship, kissing, sex, etc.

It's really weird in context

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
AITA? Did I make a racist joke?
u/Pareogo

quote:

Ok, so I’ve been wanting to get this off my chest forever now. Earlier this year, I went to my Jewish friend’s bar mitzvah and he went to a rock climbing place to celebrate it. I was invited alongside 3 or 4 other black friends he had. I didn’t know any of them since me and my friend went to different schools, so I was practically in a party with a handful of strangers.

Meanwhile one of the black friends was climbing up a curved wall, one of the black friends was impressed and said, “Wow, he’s just like Spider-man!”. My insecure brain then tries to say something funny as quick as possible to slightly boost my ego and then I say something kind of stupid. “Nah, he’s more like Venom!”. I thought it would be at least a bit funny until I allowed myself to process what I just said after all the black friends turned to me. Since I was a white guy, they all gave me a pretty dirty look. One of them even called me a racist under their breath. After that, the rest of the party felt really awkward. When it was over, I told my friend, the one who invited me over to his bar mitzvah, and later my dad when he drove me back, and they both said that what I said wasn’t terrible but that I should be more careful with what I say next time.

Was I the rear end in a top hat here? I swear to god my joke wasn’t meant to come out the way it did, but was it racist? I know I’m not supposed to be asking for advice here but I really want to know.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
cheating is lovely, scummy and selfish, but i don't know if it falls into the same category as 'abuse'

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Miserable Maid posted:

This, especially since it might have been pretty funny if she found out about the cheating during the trip and was just like "gently caress you", but she acted like nothing was wrong for A MONTH. Like regular relationship, assuming with regular hanging out, friendship, kissing, sex, etc.

Maybe I'm overthinking this revenge plot but it seems like she went to a ton of time and effort to put him in a situation where he could probably have gotten a one way flight back to Cali faster and for less money than actually driving back assuming gas and a few nights in motels.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AITA? Did I make a racist joke?
u/Pareogo

God dayum

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Smirking_Serpent posted:

tired: naming your kid after Morrigan from Dragon Age
wired: naming your kid after Morrigan from Darkstalkers

It WAS Darkstalkers

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Extensive Vamping posted:

It WAS Darkstalkers

oh poo poo then actually go with Jon Talbain

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

​She said that she couldn't help herself, and that she blurted these things out sometimes, and that she couldn't guarantee that she did so in the future. I said that it was okay if that happened, but when she did, she could afterwards, say that "I know you feel bad when I am telling these stories." So that it does not bother me so much, and I know she cares about how I feel.

"my boyfriend is the biggest pissbaby in the world but also has the tiniest penis, it's pretty ironic"

*turns to boyfriend sitting next to her* "I know you feel bad when I am telling these stories."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Today in big dick energy

quote:

4. Asked to join an advisory board — by mistake

My wife works in social services for a government agency. She interacts with a lot of other agencies and nonprofits in the area. A few months ago, she received a call asking if she would be interested in joining an advisory board at a local hospital and was told she was highly recommended. She couldn’t figure out who recommended her but it wasn’t out of the question with her resume, so she accepted.

She’s been two meetings and feels like she’s contributed. It’s also a great networking opportunity because there are a lot of big wigs on this board.

But she was angrily confronted this week by a woman with the same first name as her who works at the same agency. The short version is that someone recommended “Jane at the Broomstick Division” for this advisory board. The person meant someone else but my wife was the only Jane they could locate contact info for, so she was asked.

The other person is now furious and feels my wife should resign from the advisory board. My wife thinks she is making good contributions and with her resume it isn’t unrealistic she would be asked to participate in this. Nothing is being hidden here, the hospital knows who my wife is because she provided her bio for their website and press releases. What is proper etiquette here?

If the advisory board wants your wife to step down, they can tell her that. Otherwise she’s perfectly entitled to stay on it.
I’d recommend that she tell the other person, “I was invited to join, and I have. If you think an error was made, the best thing to do is to take it up with the board chair.” And if the person continues to push: “This isn’t something I’m going to continue discussing, and I need to ask you to stop raising it with me.”

It might also make sense for her to talk to the board chair herself. It’s possible they’d welcome an opening but think it’s too awkward to bring up themselves. Personally I’d want to know if they secretly wanted me to step down and so would ask directly if it made sense for me to remain on the board — but she’s not obligated to do that if she’d prefer to stay on regardless.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not helping my daughter pay for college and not co-signing a loan?

My daughter is turning 18 in two weeks. She is starting college this fall. She has been accepted into 8 universities but has gotten little to no aid from any of them. The government didn't give her any aid either since our income is apparently too high. My daughter got into her dream school after being waitlisted. She was really happy to start college there this fall, but she has no money. I don't really feel like I have to pay for her college; she's an adult she should start paying for things on her own. She has no money saved up, because her mom has discouraged from getting a job until this spring. She has been working at a local bakery, but only has very little saved up for college.

The university my daughter wants to go to is $17,000 after the small amount of aid they gave her. She's planning on studying biology, then going to PA school. My daughter's uncle and grandparents have promised to pay $5,000 of her tuition. My daughter plans on having $4,000 saved up by September. But it still isn't enough. My daughter thinks I am unfair for refusing to pay the rest or at least cosigning a loan. She says she has no other way to pay for college, and that I am taking away her chance of going to a university. I don't need any extra debts by signing a loan, but my daughter thinks I am being stingy.

My daughter is very mad at me and has been for weeks. My birthday was two weeks ago and my daughter refused to get me anything even though my wife offered to pay (didn't really matter to me, but I thought she was being a little bit overdramatic.). She has also told me she will never spend a penny on me, or give me anything, unless I help her get a loan for college. She says I'm the only person she knows who could co-sign a loan for her, but I just don't want to.

I don't understand why she is being so dramatic. I have encouraged her to start at a community college since she'll have enough saved for that. That makes her even more mad, because she wants to go to her "dream school". Also she says she can't stand me anymore, wants to move out asap, and rent in our city will end up costing her more than the price of going to her dream school (that part is probably true).

I feel like this issue is tearing up our family. My daughter desperately wants to go to her dream school, but she's short of $8,000-ish dollars. I don't want to give her any money, or cosign a loan. She is an adult. She should pay for her own stuff. Why should I have to help her pay for college?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

Cheating is abuse is a pretty hot take, if I'd made your post there'd be a dozen people screaming at me.

He's absolutely a shithead who deserves all kinds of horrible things, no debate there at all. However, when someone's being abused, I would suggest getting out as fast as is possible for them, not trying out retaliatory abuse
I don't actually think you're wrong in an objective way, I'm just willing to excuse bad behavior in this case. I know it's hypocritical, but I feel okay not caring.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My daughter is turning 18 in two weeks. She is starting college this fall. She has been accepted into 8 universities but has gotten little to no aid from any of them. The government didn't give her any aid either since our income is apparently too high. My daughter got into her dream school after being waitlisted. She was really happy to start college there this fall, but she has no money. I don't really feel like I have to pay for her college; she's an adult she should start paying for things on her own. She has no money saved up, because her mom has discouraged from getting a job until this spring. She has been working at a local bakery, but only has very little saved up for college.

The university my daughter wants to go to is $17,000 after the small amount of aid they gave her. She's planning on studying biology, then going to PA school. My daughter's uncle and grandparents have promised to pay $5,000 of her tuition. My daughter plans on having $4,000 saved up by September. But it still isn't enough. My daughter thinks I am unfair for refusing to pay the rest or at least cosigning a loan. She says she has no other way to pay for college, and that I am taking away her chance of going to a university. I don't need any extra debts by signing a loan, but my daughter thinks I am being stingy.

My daughter is very mad at me and has been for weeks. My birthday was two weeks ago and my daughter refused to get me anything even though my wife offered to pay (didn't really matter to me, but I thought she was being a little bit overdramatic.). She has also told me she will never spend a penny on me, or give me anything, unless I help her get a loan for college. She says I'm the only person she knows who could co-sign a loan for her, but I just don't want to.

I don't understand why she is being so dramatic. I have encouraged her to start at a community college since she'll have enough saved for that. That makes her even more mad, because she wants to go to her "dream school". Also she says she can't stand me anymore, wants to move out asap, and rent in our city will end up costing her more than the price of going to her dream school (that part is probably true).

I feel like this issue is tearing up our family. My daughter desperately wants to go to her dream school, but she's short of $8,000-ish dollars. I don't want to give her any money, or cosign a loan. She is an adult. She should pay for her own stuff. Why should I have to help her pay for college?

I hope someone murders him and the life insurance policy pays for her tuition. But this shitheal probably doesn't even have life insurance since he has no sense of responsibility or duty to family.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smirking_Serpent posted:

why should she ever speak to you again

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Miserable Maid posted:

He cheated on her for a long time and was pretending like nothing was wrong for over a year.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WIBTA if I quit my job, sell my share in company and retire to be a ski patroler? I would essentially leave my adult kids (18 and 22) to fend for themselves with no way to pay for college. Ex wife as well.

quote:

So years and years of backstory here. Ex wife has BPD and life with her has been a continuous struggle. We are in the middle of a divorce because while she’s lied, stolen, abused, hit, etc... she never cheated. But she crossed that line and enough was enough. Divorce is bitter and ugly.

For financial reasons we had set kids college savings up with my wife as custodian. I implored kids to go to the brokerage companies to remove wife as a custodian now they were adults. The both blew me off and “yeah yeahed” me for almost a year. Ex cleaned out every penny of the accounts, probably to buy her new house. Instead of my kids even asking thier mom why, let alone taking legal action they both held their hands out to me and expected me to make up for it. Then getting mad at me when I said I had far too much on my plate to add another battle with thier mom, they had to handle it. Since there was no way to pay for school this semester, both have essentially become shut ins at home.

I’ve had it because niether shows an iota of interest in thier future. On a lark I called my college roommate who is head ski patrol at a small resort in NM. He said I’m hired. I talked to my partner and he’d gladly buy my half of the business. With the 50% id have to give my ex wife I could live modest and comfortably for the rest of my life. I could spend my summers hiking, my winters working and maybe just not spend 15 hours a day at a desk working for 3 people who just see me as a wallet.

Kids would be cut off. I wouldn’t be able to afford ANY help. They have avenues and legal recourse with thier mom, whether they take it is up to them. But they’d have to grow up and fast.

Would I be the rear end in a top hat if I do this?

brb gonna go hang out with Pete's uncle at some ski resort

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AITA for not telling my vegetarian teenage son that refried beans aren't strictly vegetarian?

quote:

I am pretty sure that I'm the rear end in a top hat here, but wanted verification. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm going to change it though because there aren't too many things he will eat.

So when S (son) was 8, his favorite food was steak, and filets being his favorite cut. He literally asked me daily for steak. One day, he came home saying he didn't want to eat meat any more because he didn't want to hurt animals. I immediately asked him, what about steak? He said, "I'll probably just eat it once a month." Thinking it's just a phase, and I want to honor his fledgling belief systems, I go with it.

So the month went by... he isn't less picky about vegetables, and is essentially a carb/cheese iterian. I'm supplementing with vitamins and veggie/ fruit smoothies. I ask him if he's ready for his monthly steak. He says no.

So, fast forward to middle school and high school years and he discovers that he loves Mexican food. Initially cheese enchiladas and progressing to rice/ refried bean/ cheese burritos.

Awesome. There's protein in them beans.

He is totally clueless that traditional refried beans are made with lard (I just buy the 16 pack at Costco/ Sam's.) He eats probably 16 burritos a week. (He's a teenager, it's ridiculous.)

AITA that I've never told him that refried beans, practically anywhere, aren't strictly vegetarian? And I actively don't buy the vegetarian refried beans because well more expensive, and jeezus, I'm already catering to him anyway.

I've been cooking two meals for almost ten years, and finally he's able to make his own food.

I'm pretty sure IATA, but wanted verification. Most of my friends/ family think I was an idiot for even entertaining the vegetarianism in the first place, especially because he won't eat vegetables.

EDIT: Kid is 17 and I only realized that there was a vegetarian refried bean option like two years ago.

EDIT 2: I just told the kid. He literally said that he knew already but he'd decided that it wasn't "enough." As in, it wasn't enough like eating meat to make him stop eating refried beans at restaurants, etc. He said, he just can't chew meat, that grosses him out. Then he said, it's my favorite source of protein, so yeah, I'm good.

EDIT 3: I just asked him how long he has known, and he said at least a few years. He told me that he'd googled vegetarian options at Mexican restaurants when he was 14 and realized that refried beans weren't vegetarian. But figured that it wasn't a big enough deal to stop eating his favorite Mexican food.

EDIT 4: Here's where IA(truly)TA. He's been checking out his protein/fat/carb ratios for a few years, changing his diet to increase muscle mass and gain weight. He's known this whole time about eating non veggie refried beans. IATA, totally, for not believing my kid would be on top of it.

So, I'm the rear end in a top hat, but he didn't care either way. He's a great kid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gonna reveal my total ignorance but arent there loan options your parents dont need to sign?

I ask because I dont want to light this here torch and get my good sharp pitchfork out of the shed if I dont have to.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

QuarkJets posted:

AITA for not telling my vegetarian teenage son that refried beans aren't strictly vegetarian?

Truly the magical fruit, bringing families together.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Barudak posted:

Gonna reveal my total ignorance but arent there loan options your parents dont need to sign?

I ask because I dont want to light this here torch and get my good sharp pitchfork out of the shed if I dont have to.

Its kind of a hosed up system where if your parents have over a certain income level you just flat out don't qualify for a ton of loans unless you go through a whole process where you basically have to convince a judge you have no contact with them.

Or they can wait until they're 25 and FAFSA stops looking at family income.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for being angry that my girlfriend's mom stayed for dinner?

So, it was my dad's birthday party yesterday, and his wife (W) threw him a surprise party with a corresponding lobster feed. My girlfriend (GF) couldn't be there for the surprise, but said that her mom would drive her up later. She had asked whether her mom (GFM) could pop in for a few minutes, and I said it was fine. However, GFM had not been invited to the party or the dinner. When they arrived, my dad was the perfect host, and handed GFM a big glass of wine. Mistake number one.

As the cocktail hour wore on, I became increasingly worried that GFM wasn't leaving as GF had implied she would. When people started putting lobsters in boiling water to warm them up, I discreetly mentioned to GF that it was time for her to "kick her mom out." She told me that she would "leave when it was time for her to go," and I trusted her judgement. Mistake number two.

When we were all seconds from sitting down and GFM was still lingering, W approached GFM and said, "Okay, we're all about to sit down for dinner now, [long pause, blank stare from GFM] would you like to join us?" Mistake number three. I guess it's a cultural thing, but I feel like that's where one should say, "Oh, thank you, but I couldn't." However, GFM, being raised by Dutch parents, took W at her word, and accepted the "invitation," exactly the situation that I had tried to avoid putting W in. GF wanted to sit next to me, but I told her that she should sit by her mom at one end of the table and I would sit with my dad at the other end.

After dinner, I was pretty angry, so I spent most of the night cleaning dishes and avoiding GF and GFM. On the way home, GF asked whether I was angry, and I made it clear that I didn't appreciate her mom staying past her welcome and her not having her mom leave when I asked. She asked why I hated her mom, and I don't, it's just that this is part of a history of GFM missing social cues, and I anticipated this situation. She accused me of not being welcoming, but I'm sorry, GFM wasn't invited, and lobsters aren't exactly cheap. She noted that everything worked out fine: we found another chair, somebody was allergic to lobster so GFM wasn't taking someone else's, etc., and she's right. But I'm angry on the principle of it, and I'm angry that GF doesn't see her mom's actions as rude. So, AITA?

Edit: To be clear, her presence did bother a few people. GFM and W had met twice before, but GFM didn't even recognize W...the person whose house she was at. She insisted it must be W's hair, but she's worn her hair the same way for years. When I went downstairs to get another chair, I apologized to W that she was staying, and she said, "Well, I can't uninvite her now...." Clearly, W had planned a party for my dad, and GFM had not been part of the plans.

Later on, my uncle on my dad's side came into the kitchen to escape her for the moment, because she was dominating the conversation on that side of the table, talking about things that nobody cared about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zore posted:

Its kind of a hosed up system where if your parents have over a certain income level you just flat out don't qualify for a ton of loans unless you go through a whole process where you basically have to convince a judge you have no contact with them.

Or they can wait until they're 25 and FAFSA stops looking at family income.

Sigh, well dont start up without me, just gotta go get the shed key and Ill be back in a jiff.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Tender Bender posted:

Maybe I'm overthinking this revenge plot but it seems like she went to a ton of time and effort to put him in a situation where he could probably have gotten a one way flight back to Cali faster and for less money than actually driving back assuming gas and a few nights in motels.

The kind of cold blooded premeditation she did would be the difference between 5-10 and life/death in a murder trial. But then again he was just as cold blooded in a different way.

Its REALLY hard to feel upset at her and even harder to give a poo poo about him.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I don't want to give her any money, or cosign a loan. She is an adult. She should pay for her own stuff. Why should I have to help her pay for college?

What a piece of poo poo.

Who wants to bet that World's Best Dad here was given everything in life on a loving platter.

QuarkJets posted:

WIBTA if I quit my job, sell my share in company and retire to be a ski patroler? I would essentially leave my adult kids (18 and 22) to fend for themselves with no way to pay for college. Ex wife as well.

loving feel good story of the thread.

I mean, not the divorce and idiot kids bit, but getting his head in a good place and finding a happy future for himself.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

Federal loans don't require a cosigner, but how much you can borrow is determined by your FAFSA. Since the father apparently makes a lot of money and had his income included on her application, she probably can't borrow enough in federal loans to cover the expenses for college. That leaves private loans; sometimes private lenders don't require a co-signer, but they require the student to already have a strong credit history, which is unusual. She probably has little to no credit history.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

brb gonna go hang out with Pete's uncle at some ski resort

I've had to walk a few kids through getting their custodial account switched to a personal account when they come of age. It's one form that you fill out to update your personal info and probably some PATRIOT act stuff to verify your identity.

It takes 5 minutes to complete and then you just send it to the brokerage.

Lmao at these idiot kids getting cleaned out. Sue the mom, have the courts force her to sell her home, and claw back every penny you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Federal loans don't require a cosigner, but how much you can borrow is determined by your FAFSA. Since the father apparently makes a lot of money and had his income included on her application, she probably can't borrow enough in federal loans to cover the expenses for college. That leaves private loans; sometimes private lenders don't require a co-signer, but they require the student to already have a strong credit history, which is unusual. She probably has little to no credit history.

Alright Im back, I got my pitchfork, my torch, and I been practicing my audible but indistinct murmering and shouting on the back forty all week.