Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Zombie #246 posted:

What was everyone's least successful/least enjoyed boardgame they brought to their group?

I think mine was Android (not netrunner), it was agonizing

Holy poo poo, Fief 1429. That kickstarter had me so excited too, since it was basically Crusader Kings:The Board Game

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

How many people did you play with? It kinda sucked at 4p but it's done real well at 5p.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Zombie #246 posted:

What was everyone's least successful/least enjoyed boardgame they brought to their group?

Relic at the GenCon Games Library. I had never played Talisman before, but I did manage to pick up the rules in 30 minutes.

God did I end up hating that game along with everyone else in my group.

I can see why Android would be agonizing. It sounds like it's this incredible experience, but there's literally too much going on for the game to actually be playable.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Never mind, need to watch more, post less. (Like that will happen long term.)

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 12, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zombie #246 posted:

Tragically, Troyes. People somehow didn't want to deal with the events and thought they were bullshit, despite the fact that the people being most affected were also the ones who had the power to stop them. People are dumb. They also didn't manipulate dice often enough.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

My first game of Troyes was great. Second game was pretty terrible. Every other one has been average.

We still like it but really don't play much anymore.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

E: ^^^ Troyes went over poorly with a friend who has some serious loss aversion, but went better after a couple more plays. It's a game that I think is kind of interesting but I'm a little reluctant to play with newbs and we overlook it a bit

Arkham Horror + Dunwich on the floor years ago. I had some RSI from work and my wrists were all hosed up, it took like 5+ hours, now-wife was becoming suspicious that games are bad :smith:

Agricola years ago with a coworker and now-wife, newish to us. We quietly puzzled out a family game for probably a couple hours and then he left and it was awkward as gently caress. Then did it all over again with a couple we knew! They and my wife now refer to it as "that loving farm game". They play other euros now though including Caverna so I think it might have been poor timing

I've had Galaxy Trucker fall flat on its face with the work M:tG crew years ago. There was a strong "we've lost two hours of our lives that could have been spent playing magic" sentiment after. Same group liked BSG, CitOW and Dominion, though.

More recently, I've had an extended family member lose their poo poo at the end of Ticket to Ride when they finally comprehended what we meant when we explained how unfulfilled tickets count against you several times earlier. Likewise, had some extended family go nuts playing 7 Wonders, again mostly due to finally understanding the scoring after the fact as opposed to the multiple times explained earlier (including once before the third age!). Hyper competitive normies who want to win their first game, smh. They like Dominion a lot, though. I've adjusted what I'll test the waters with since then.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 12, 2015

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Mine was unfortunately Tragedy Looper.

My group is insistent that it's totally unfair and a sign of bad design of a game if they can only talk during the Time Loop, AND can't take written notes as they play the game because how else are they supposed to solve it? What if they accidentally go to the same place and screw up? If it's a deduction game but it's all random and just relies on memory then it must not be a very good deduction game because they should all be solvable and you should puzzle them out as you play.

:rolleyes:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is private note taking formally prohibited in the glooper rules? I sometimes like to take notes in games like this because my short term memory is the first fosbourne subsystem to go offline if work was intense that week

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is private note taking formally prohibited in the glooper rules? I sometimes like to take notes in games like this because my short term memory is the first fosbourne subsystem to go offline if work was intense that week

The rules don't say anything either way, but the googling I did before I ran the game the first time mostly returned reviews and BGG threads suggesting not allowing notes because it can make the game way too easy.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tips/impressions/reviews for/on/of Viceroy, Francis Drake, and Among the Stars?

I'm gonna try to play each of them tonight for the first time. Among the Stars looks like a slightly enhanced 7 wonders clone and I'm guessing I'll be disappointed, cause 7 wonders is dumb.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If you don't like 7 Wonders then you deserve to be unhappy.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Chomp8645 posted:

^^^

I don't have to take notes during tragedy looper, but I'm also a computer programmer so I'm probably a mutant in that area.
Usually me and the other programmer carry the group, and god help us if he is the Mastermind.

Interestingly, the group is pretty safe with me as the Mastermind because I'm bad at adapting my strategy. It's the same reason I reveal early the majority of the time in BSG- unless I get lucky circumstances like being the dual president/admiral after the sleeper phase or something, I'm usually able to do more damage from the Cylon spaces because I have no poker face.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Chomp8645 posted:

Played team 7 Wonders the other day and really enjoyed it. Collaborating with teammates and setting up resources so that you can balance money out properly is a lot of fun. It plays very differently from the base game.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Malloreon posted:

I'm gonna try to play each of them tonight for the first time. Among the Stars looks like a slightly enhanced 7 wonders clone and I'm guessing I'll be disappointed, cause 7 wonders is dumb.

Haven't played Francis Drake.

Among the Stars is like 7 Wonders but you get to pretend you're smarter because you choose where to put the cards. Mechanics are still solidly mediocre. On the big hierarchy of drafting games it's pretty disappointing.

Viceroy is kinda boring from a theme and design standpoint but mechanics play well and it's pretty quick. Surprisingly fun, though if you like theme in your games look elsewhere - calling it paper-thin would be giving it too much credit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aerox posted:

Mine was unfortunately Tragedy Looper.

My group is insistent that it's totally unfair and a sign of bad design of a game if they can only talk during the Time Loop, AND can't take written notes as they play the game because how else are they supposed to solve it? What if they accidentally go to the same place and screw up? If it's a deduction game but it's all random and just relies on memory then it must not be a very good deduction game because they should all be solvable and you should puzzle them out as you play.

:rolleyes:

Mine's also TL, yeah. But in my case it was because my group just pretty much wasn't paying attention and played cards nearly at random, and by sheer serendipity managed to win on the first loop. After having spent 20 minutes learning the game only to have it end in just as long, well, they weren't particularly eager to try again.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Dirk the Average posted:

Played team 7 Wonders the other day and really enjoyed it. Collaborating with teammates and setting up resources so that you can balance money out properly is a lot of fun. It plays very differently from the base game.

I need to give that a go someday. We tend to break out 7 Wonders when there's a large group of people, which makes the regular game feel like a crapshoot.

My kind of flat experience was what I detailed earlier this week, with The Voyages of Marco Polo coming across super unbalanced to my group even though they seemed to enjoy the game in and of itself. I'd imagine that's how it come across to most groups, though. I'm not sure how to break through the first game balance barrier, though.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 12, 2015

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Gimnbo posted:

I need to give that a go someday. We tend to break out 7 Wonders when there's a large group of people, which makes the regular game feel like a crapshoot.

It worked really well with 6, and it also rewards strategic planning around the cards that benefit from your neighbors. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be 3v3 or 2v2v2 from the manual, but 3v3 worked fine. I wouldn't suggest 4v4 though - 2v2v2v2 would probably be better.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Malloreon posted:

Played Viceroy and AtS twice now with 2. Both feel a little bit like 7 wonders, in that you're collecting sets of things but with more of a spatial element. I like the drafting mechanic in AtS but the bidding in Viceroy is also pretty cool, I'm not sure how well it will work at 4 if people are losing lots of gems by bidding on the same stuff but it seems like it could work decently enough and you can talk about what you're bidding for.

Viceroy has a lot more depth than AtS, at least the base game. Gems and cards are pretty tight, there's an interesting card/gem economy aspect to it and then you're thinking about trying to complete circles for bonus points/gems, while also thinking about the best level on your pyramid to put your various cards and what effects you want. The end scoring can be pretty mathy but isn't too bad once you understand it. The first game was a little underwhelming for because I didn't invest in an economy, I went straight to collecting and boosting scrolls but didn't invest much in getting extra cards or gems and wasn't able to do much, meanwhile my wife had a whole bunch of cards and infinite gems. The second game was much better, make sure you spend a few turns getting some extra gems and cards.

AtS is much more straight foward and is waaay easier to pick up than 7W. I feel like the base game doesn't have much variety or interesting card combos, though maybe the expansions help with that. I like the spatial element of building your station but the depth of decision making is much simpler than in Viceroy.

If you want something that is pretty simple to learn that almost anyone could play and like drafting games, AtS is pretty solid but you might tire of it quickly. Viceroy is more complex(not a ton though, I think the complexity is about the same or a bit less than 7W but the spatial aspect adds a lot more interesting choices) gamer's game. The tightness of the economy and possible confilct from the bidding might be too much for some more casual players.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Viceroy worked pretty well with 4, played twice with that count.

First game people just bid normally, lots of burnt gems. Worked out nicely.

Second game people announced their bids beforehand. Whenever there was going to be conflict the players negotiated bids - which was often one player going "I've got more gems of this color than you, take something else" and the other player either confronting by picking up more gems or trying to cut a deal with other players to get something decent.

Scoring is kinda dumb though. Pretty much the only game I've ever really wanted a scoring pad for because things feel so arbitrary.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Holy poo poo, Fief 1429. That kickstarter had me so excited too, since it was basically Crusader Kings:The Board Game

Shame for your group. I've only played it once so far and one of the four players wasn't keen (but said he'd play again if we needed him), but we're scheduling a six-player game fairly soon at the weekend games room. This is done out of pure spite, as they charge £1 per player per game and thus it is the perfect place to play something that takes five hours.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Andarel posted:

Viceroy worked pretty well with 4, played twice with that count.

First game people just bid normally, lots of burnt gems. Worked out nicely.

Second game people announced their bids beforehand. Whenever there was going to be conflict the players negotiated bids - which was often one player going "I've got more gems of this color than you, take something else" and the other player either confronting by picking up more gems or trying to cut a deal with other players to get something decent.

Scoring is kinda dumb though. Pretty much the only game I've ever really wanted a scoring pad for because things feel so arbitrary.

Good to hear, I think I'll be trying it out on the weekend with some friends. I have the KS edition which came with a score card and is pretty handy, it would definitely be a pain without it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
What are peoples' opinions on Olympos and Cyclades? A regular at Tuesday boardgaming is interested in those but aside from knowing that they're both Greek themed and Cyclades is by the folks who made Kemet I don't really know much about either of them.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Yeah I have the KS edition with the pad and a tiny pencil too. Is pretty much necessary for now.

Haven't played either but I hear Cyclades is good (though people like it a bit less than Kemet). It's more of an auction game than anything else.

Andarel fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 12, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zombie #246 posted:

I got a some of these.
My girlfriend forms permanent grudges against boardgames if she doesn't instantly understand the rules, and refuses to ever read a rulebook, so I will realistically never be able to play the FFG Civilization game again. It's because I'm a weenie and refuse to tell her to go entertain herself while the rest of us play a game I like. Race For the Galaxy I still get to play sometimes because it's kinda quick and she usually takes over kitchen duties on board game day even at other peoples' houses. It's not that she's bad at games, or anything- she's won most of our group's games of Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and usually dominates in 7 Wonders. We play poo poo like Power Grid and she's fine. :iiam:

Legendary Encounters, the Alien one, is the monkey paw version of this. I bought it because we all really enjoy the Marvel Legendary. Everybody seems to enjoy playing it except for me- its brutal difficulty leads to the group losing like 80% of the time, so it's like I just wasted 45 minutes finding out the precise way in which we were going to inevitably lose!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

I got a some of these.
My girlfriend forms permanent grudges against boardgames if she doesn't instantly understand the rules, and refuses to ever read a rulebook, so I will realistically never be able to play the FFG Civilization game again. It's because I'm a weenie and refuse to tell her to go entertain herself while the rest of us play a game I like. Race For the Galaxy I still get to play sometimes because it's kinda quick and she usually takes over kitchen duties on board game day even at other peoples' houses. It's not that she's bad at games, or anything- she's won most of our group's games of Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and usually dominates in 7 Wonders. We play poo poo like Power Grid and she's fine. :iiam:

It sounds like your girlfriend has too many random elements. Might I suggest a new one, or perhaps supplementing her with a deck of dice?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

I got a some of these.

Legendary Encounters, the Alien one, is the monkey paw version of this. I bought it because we all really enjoy the Marvel Legendary. Everybody seems to enjoy playing it except for me- its brutal difficulty leads to the group losing like 80% of the time, so it's like I just wasted 45 minutes finding out the precise way in which we were going to inevitably lose!

If it's any consolation FFG Civ is not really considered a good game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

deadly_pudding posted:

What are you doing that you're losing Legendary Encounters 80% of the time? We win 80% of the time.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rutibex posted:

It sounds like your girlfriend has too many random elements. Might I suggest a new one, or perhaps supplementing her with a deck of dice?
Nah, she's just difficult to solve, like a Vlaada title.

Jedit posted:

What are you doing that you're losing Legendary Encounters 80% of the time? We win 80% of the time.

I don't know :psyduck: We took like probably 8 or 10 cracks at the first movie before we won it. The second movie we did in one attempt, and the third movie we died in the middle of the second objective. This might be due to the fact that our group is huge and we always use the full 5 players. Stuff just comes pouring into the Combat Zone if we ever have a low-attack turn on our side.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I love auctions, so I definitely enjoyed Cyclades. The main strike against it is that the end can still be dogpile/kingmaking like Kemet.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The way Legendary games work out, more players pretty much always equals a much higher difficulty.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Cyclades is amazing and every time I play it my group always says "gently caress why don't we play this more?". The Hades expansion is kinda meh, but the Titans one is amazing and gives you a completely different board to strategize over.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Trying to find an introductory game about population/resource management that plays in around 45 minutes. My first thought was Stone Age - that's about the right complexity, but it takes too long. Also the game needs to support at least three players, and preferably around six.

Ideally I'm thinking worker placement is a plus, and physically grabbing resources (like you do in Stone Age) is also a plus. I know a lot of heavy games that do this well, but are there any light ones?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dirk the Average posted:

Trying to find an introductory game about population/resource management that plays in around 45 minutes. My first thought was Stone Age - that's about the right complexity, but it takes too long. Also the game needs to support at least three players, and preferably around six.

Ideally I'm thinking worker placement is a plus, and physically grabbing resources (like you do in Stone Age) is also a plus. I know a lot of heavy games that do this well, but are there any light ones?

Roll For the Galaxy fits this bill pretty well. Your dice become effectively workers that you place, and you have to recruit dice out of your populace area using money that you earn from using those workers to harvest resources that other workers generated. You can get enough passive abilities in play that it's less of an engine-building challenge than a lot of empire/facility builders tend to be.

I'd suggest Puerto Rico, but the whole shipping schedule might be a bit much to swallow for introductory players.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Getting a game that does that in 45 minutes with 6 players is going to be nearly impossible. I can barely fit a game of Dixit with 6 players in 45 minutes and that is about as simple as they come.

As far as actual suggestions, the first that popped into my mind was Istanbul, but if that's too complex maybe something like King's Forge? It's a less fiddly dice-rolling game than Roll For The Galaxy (which I am admittedly biased against).

Scoville might also fit what you're looking for, and it plays relatively quick.

EBag
May 18, 2006

I was about to suggest Istanbul as well so I'll second that. It does up to 5 players and can be finished in about an hour, or less with fewer players or if they play quick.

I don't like Roll/Race with 5, 4 is ok but I find it drags too much with 5(especially with Rolls exploration, it can take a long rear end time for players to explore multiple times) and I don't like it as much when a lot of phases get called.

I haven't played it but I hear Viticulture does up to 6 players and isn't very heavy, but I'm not sure how long it takes.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

It keeps your hands busy for an hour, I suppose.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Got a chance to try Mysterium last night. The hype for this game has been pretty unreal since GenCon so I was happy I got a chance to try it out. I thought it was a neat evolution of the Dixit mechanics, and can breathe new life into a group that is burned out on Dixit. It is basically semi-coop Dixit + Clue and continues the same amazing art trend as Dixit continues to have. One player is a ghost handing paranormal investigators cards that represent clues pointing towards different crimes that have been committed, ending with everyone trying to guess who the murderer was.

The biggest negative for the game that I can tell is that after only a few plays your group might start having a bit of a "meta-game" for understanding what clues some of the cards point towards, but what's great is that if you already have Dixit and any expansions you can substitute the cards into Mysterium to change it up a bit.

Overall I enjoyed it as a Dixit replacement. It has the same frustrating feeling of "WHY DIDN'T YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY ABOUT THAT CARD" with a little bit of whodunit added in. I don't think it's necessarily worth all of the hype it gets but it's worth trying out for sure.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Big McHuge posted:

Cyclades is amazing and every time I play it my group always says "gently caress why don't we play this more?". The Hades expansion is kinda meh, but the Titans one is amazing and gives you a completely different board to strategize over.

Can you go into some more detail on the expansions, pros and cons? I know it's kind of weird to be inquiring after those before I've even played the main game but if I'm gonna place a CSI order then I like to get it all done at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

The biggest negative for the game that I can tell is that after only a few plays your group might start having a bit of a "meta-game" for understanding what clues some of the cards point towards

Yeah... This is what sunk Mysterium for us, and in not very many plays. Dixit cards would shake some things up (ie specific card associations), but you'd still fall into the same kind of patterns I think (most of which weren't very entertaining, at least for us).

In other news, A Distant Plain is at 496 orders on the P500 list. I understand it maybe isn't the best of the COIN games, but I think the theme (modern Afghanistan) will be more accessible to lots of the potential players I know than, say, the French-Algerian war. Anyway, yeah, go put your name down. Get that lumbering GMT machinery rolling.