Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kudo sucks and thats why we love him. I need to watch that new one set in the One Cut building. Is that uh…available on streaming yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

67 and still making love posted:

We can still blame Spielberg for nixing this in favour of the entirely forgettable roaring gunk-skull popping out of the closet

I've never seen this and, had this been in the final movie I saw as a kid, I wouldn't have slept for weeks.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Lmao, you know there was no way President Devon Sawa was surviving his full term with or without Chucky getting involved, so honestly he should at least be a lil bit thankful to him for having him go out in a way that exposes government corruption.

Can't wait to see what type of father Sawa will play next.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Snooze Cruise posted:

Lmao, you know there was no way President Devon Sawa was surviving his full term with or without Chucky getting involved, so honestly he should at least be a lil bit thankful to him for having him go out in a way that exposes government corruption.

Can't wait to see what type of father Sawa will play next.

I was watching random stuff on YouTube and decided his next appearance should be a grown up Stan.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

weekly font posted:

Kudo sucks and thats why we love him. I need to watch that new one set in the One Cut building. Is that uh…available on streaming yet?

with the SOTAR translation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Usi2glLDyw

i need to catch up myself, haven't watch the lizard one yet

e: holy poo poo i just checked the discord and saw people talking about a manga version lol
https://www.instagram.com/p/C5pi6wKSvTu/?img_index=1

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 2, 2024

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

e: holy poo poo i just checked the discord and saw people talking about a manga version lol

That's amazing lol

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

A Fancy Hat posted:

I've never seen this and, had this been in the final movie I saw as a kid, I wouldn't have slept for weeks.

What pisses me off the most is that I can hear this scene:

Tangina does her "Cross over children" bit, Steven reacts to this negatively as before, then out of the closet we hear, with the same backwards echo effect as Carol-anne, a child's scream.
Steven panics and begins to pull on the rope, as Tangina tells him "not yet" the single voice swells a multitude of screams, male and female, young and old, that explodes into shrieking laughter as The Face emerges.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Well I don’t think I’ll love a sentence more this year than

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1786057322566975624

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
gently caress yeah I hope it will be in a theater near me. Mandy was too far away.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hell yeah thanks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I prefer the skeleton monster honestly. It’s cooler.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

weekly font posted:

Hell yeah thanks

I really liked the turn it takes.

I want these on bluray with official subs so bad

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If I was rich I would be doing everything in my power to get these properly translated.

Like I'm glad we at least have the SOTAR stuff but the grammar is not great at the end of the day.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 3, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Holy poo poo major Kudo kudos for this youtube link cuz apparently it's all on this channel translated. I fell off maybe around episode 4 or 5 cuz I just got tired of wrangling all the subs/files off of discords/reddits n poo poo

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

The_Doctor posted:

My friend’s film, All You Need is Death! It’s going to be shown at the Overlook Fest in New Orleans on April 5th!

And there’s a trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30iDkjH6UqA
This movie is pretty great! The first act really pulled me in because my wife's dissertation was about regional folk music and from here on I'm going to imagine her research looked exactly like that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Finally on the Senritsu movie and I'm having so much fun. I really don't think anyone in the game is doing cosmic horror quite like and on the level of Shiraishi. He's always so creative and one of a kind with these cheap effects. The loving face warping had me squirming jfc

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I always had a feeling the villain of this series was Shinzo and the Abe family. lmao at Kudo just running around with a baseball bat kidnapping and threatening former Defense officials

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1786114861916631353

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

This is extremely welcome news, these two bring out the best in each other.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Finally on the Senritsu movie and I'm having so much fun. I really don't think anyone in the game is doing cosmic horror quite like and on the level of Shiraishi. He's always so creative and one of a kind with these cheap effects. The loving face warping had me squirming jfc

yeah some people hated the ending of Occult because of the FX but his consistent use of wild cheap cg is terrific. nightmarish Lovecraftian creatures from beyond manifesting as looney tunes Japanese Monty Python is way more fun than 90% of horror visuals

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm so glad to hear this, lets see what Wingard still has in the tank.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

You're Next is the film that made me a film fan. Up until then I wasn't really interested at all if I'm honest, but something about that film clicked for me and I felt like I finally "got" how to be a film person, if that makes sense.

Kinda hyped.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Snooze Cruise posted:

Thank you for posting this I've been meaning to start watching these for awhile and having them conveniently on YouTube is great! I just watched the first one today and can tell I'm going to enjoy it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I had no idea all those movies were up on youtube, so now I know what I'm gonna do for my "been putting it off" challenge thread thing.

I assume the best place to start with them is File 01?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

alf_pogs posted:

yeah some people hated the ending of Occult because of the FX but his consistent use of wild cheap cg is terrific. nightmarish Lovecraftian creatures from beyond manifesting as looney tunes Japanese Monty Python is way more fun than 90% of horror visuals
:hai:
Love the ending of Occult so much. While some of the moments in his series are funny, there ain't nothing funny about that motherfucking movie. 🚫

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I had no idea all those movies were up on youtube, so now I know what I'm gonna do for my "been putting it off" challenge thread thing.

I assume the best place to start with them is File 01?

Yeah there’s no tricks. Just watch in order.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I skipped watching the tiny in-between movies (not even sure if they're hosted on there) cuz I can't be bothered but yeah just watch it all in order. It's numbered conveniently on that channel. Decent subs too all things considered.

Really glad just randomly watching Noroi one day has led me down this fruitful found footage path. Especially cuz I'm pretty sure the only Western FF left for me to watch is just pure dogshit/random student films.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I am looking forward to seeing Red Rooms tho, my friend said they'd send me a copy soon.

Incidentally another very talented homie of mine is making a body horror found footage film I'm very hyped for (and not just cuz theyre a homie, I really think theyre gonna do some wild poo poo).
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/becoming-a-feature-film-perks-available/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m late on the conversation but I think the most impressive thing about Tobe Hooper is his chameleon like ability to change up from film to film. So many of the big directors we talk about make the same kind of film over and over or use the same tricks and crutches every time out. But Hooper really feels like he starts from scratch and makes the film he thinks fits most each time. And I think that’s really cool.

So I think the Poltergeist debate really misses the forest from the trees in that regard. Yes it feels like a Spielberg film and Spielberg was heavily involved. But also Hooper was making a Spielberg film. And there may be no director who was better at that kind of versatility than Hooper so much that people just assume it’s not his film at all because there’s no traces of TCM in there or something.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I’m late on the conversation but I think the most impressive thing about Tobe Hooper is his chameleon like ability to change up from film to film. So many of the big directors we talk about make the same kind of film over and over or use the same tricks and crutches every time out. But Hooper really feels like he starts from scratch and makes the film he thinks fits most each time. And I think that’s really cool.
Abso loving lutely. He's got this fun range and seemingly on fairly limited budgets. Some of his films just have this gorgeous colorful dream-like quality.
I just recently went The Mangler ----> Invaders From Mars ----> Spontaneous Combustion and it was a hell of a fun time. Really really wanna watch more of his films. Loved The Mangler so much.
Think I'm gonna watch his film Mortuary next. I actually like his non-Texas Chainsaw films the most.

Unrelated with Tobe but I recently saw Popcorn (1991) for the first time. Dope but wow there's a lot of Scream (before Scream) in that.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 3, 2024

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I know at the time a lot of Spielberg produced films kind of had this feeling like they were directed by him but not. Like with Back to the Future you feel his energy and spirit but it's very clear a different director made the film and it's an interesting yin/yang (for lack of a better term).

I think with Poltergeist that Tobe Hooper knew he was making a Spielberg-produced (and written) film in that kind of vein (yes, I'm aware BTTF came out a few years later but it was a run of his at the time) and leaned into it more than other directors did. I think it was a stylistic choice of his at the time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. I think that’s the unique awesomeness of Hooper. He doesn’t go into a movie like Poltergiest and say “how can I make this like TCM?” He knows the kind of movie he’s been hired to make and he sets out to make that kind of movie. And very few name directors have that kind of skill and versatility and lack of ego.

When I watch a Hooper film I don’t know what kind of film I’m turning on but I feel confident it will be well made.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hooper looking at TCM2, and thinking 'how can I make this incredibly not like TCM', is the sort of decision that would infuriate a studio but absolutely delights me

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Poltergeist was produced by Amblin, written by Spielberg, edited by Spielberg’s guy, effects by ILM, etc. like of course it feels like a Spielberg film!

Think ppl can be a bit too auteur-pilled when talking about Poltergeist, there are lots of hands on any given film beyond the credited director. I can see how Hooper was the director but (purposefully) blended and collaborated with another ecosystem that wasn’t entirely his own. Doesn’t mean Spielberg secretly directed the film.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 3, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

alf_pogs posted:

Hooper looking at TCM2, and thinking 'how can I make this incredibly not like TCM', is the sort of decision that would infuriate a studio but absolutely delights me

It's the same thing that makes Escape From LA so delightful. You can't say those directors didn't go for it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

So I think the Poltergeist debate really misses the forest from the trees in that regard. Yes it feels like a Spielberg film and Spielberg was heavily involved. But also Hooper was making a Spielberg film. And there may be no director who was better at that kind of versatility than Hooper so much that people just assume it’s not his film at all because there’s no traces of TCM in there or something.

Great post, well put.

When he got his Cannon deal, he did Lifeforce, Invaders From Mars, and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part II in a two year span.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

TCM 2 rules and is one of the best and strangest sequels in horror. No notes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh hell yeah, those 2 are great!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I skipped watching the tiny in-between movies (not even sure if they're hosted on there) cuz I can't be bothered but yeah just watch it all in order. It's numbered conveniently on that channel. Decent subs too all things considered.

but if someone does want to watch the shorts as well, here they are
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL85UM6A-okWjZ8B4JL5lqhquYFo95zXrs

e:

And here is the watch order.
Rest would come after the 8 one.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WeaponX posted:

Think ppl can be a bit too auteur-pilled when talking about Poltergeist, there are lots of hands on any given film beyond the credited director.
Yeah it’s this. Auteur theory is fine and appropriate with plenty of guys. But even with the most obvious examples they’re still not filmmakers who don’t collaborate. Spike Lee has a style but he also made all his greatest films with Ernest Dickerson. A film isn’t made by one person but we tend to buy into the big cult of personality of these directors. So Poltergeist becomes “Spielberg or Hooper?” when it’s just both guys making a film.