Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Phone posted:

Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway

Phone posted:

double yellow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqOBBhRpnxE

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

You only need a rollbar for HPDE. If you've rolled a car at autocross, half a dozen things went terribly wrong.

Righteous.

A dude in a Focus RS did get some 2 wheel action going on today.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So after installing a new soft top, not only will I happily pay for someone else to do this for me, but the robbins instructions are wrong (relating to which stud to put the straps on) so I get to go back and do it all again tomorrow. Just what I wanted.

:suicide:

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ocean beach in san francisco yesterday, 88degF

miata was purchased in january a bit after moving to California and was the best life decision ever. thanks thread

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I saw my first actually moving nd today, looked nice. No wave

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
So I did get around to changing both accessory belts on my NA8 a week or so ago and that squeal I posted about is gone. All was well until this morning there was a nasty rattle or bangign sound for 5-10 seconds on cold-start. I didn't have time to even inspect where it was going from before it went away. The car then drove normally. It was one of the coldest nights last night since I've owned the car, around 45F. Could I have buggered something up when tensioning the belts? Water pump bearing (please no)? It should be a relatively new WP, I believe...

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

willroc7 posted:

So I did get around to changing both accessory belts on my NA8 a week or so ago and that squeal I posted about is gone. All was well until this morning there was a nasty rattle or bangign sound for 5-10 seconds on cold-start. I didn't have time to even inspect where it was going from before it went away. The car then drove normally. It was one of the coldest nights last night since I've owned the car, around 45F. Could I have buggered something up when tensioning the belts? Water pump bearing (please no)? It should be a relatively new WP, I believe...

i had this going on and it was just some screws in the water pump to belt connection going loose
replaced the belt since it got mangled after the banging noise, put new screws to the water pump and loctited them, it went away

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
More miatas in boone video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOqDhRtqxOs

(hopefully i'd learned by this point in the week about those mystery lines)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 28, 2016

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Tim Pawlenty posted:

i had this going on and it was just some screws in the water pump to belt connection going loose
replaced the belt since it got mangled after the banging noise, put new screws to the water pump and loctited them, it went away

I will check this out. Thanks. Did it happen to you after a water pump/alternator belt change?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

For the low price of 8k, you too can own a 23 year old car with 163,000 miles. Granted, it is an LE with the red leather.

http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/cto/5802997308.html

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ethanol posted:

I saw my first actually moving nd today, looked nice. No wave

sorry, we can't see you because of the sun glaring past the TINIEST SUN SHADES KNOWN TO HUMANITY that DONT EVEN SWIVEL WTF

still, if that's the worst thing about my ND...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Woo just managed to hit 7.5l/100km aka ~31 mpg on a 500km highway trip. I was beginning to worry the car was broken as it's been hovering around 9-10l recently, but it's probably my inability to stay away from the rev limiter more than anything else.

Consistently maintaining around 120km/h, staying below 4k rpm, and keeping the roof up (I know...) were probably the biggest factors. Not sure if the cheapo winter tires are better than the AD08s though. Other than that I wasn't hypermiling at all, there were a couple of jams along the way and I took it up to 160 or so a few times to complete the passes quicker. The result is still a bit worse than the official EU numbers for a 1.8 NBFL, and although I see how I might be able to get there, considering the difference of just a bit more than :10bux: over really hammering it... I don't think I'll have the patience for another experiment.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's about a 2-3mpg hit running super sticky summers.

In order to get exceptional gas mileage in an NA/NB, you have to keep it under 4k or so. NBs have a 4.3 rear end, so that doesn't help.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What were those good BFG tires that everyone liked on 14" wheels?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Sport comp 2? Rivals?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The tires everyone loved in 14" were Falken Azenis (they're trash). You might be able to grab Dunlop Z2 Star Specs in 14" still.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I get about 10km/l with the 1.6 on Yokohama S-Drives. I could probably get a lot better if I didn't enjoy running first gear to red quite so much but it just sounds so darn good.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Your car sounds like poo poo, you're a lovely driver, and you're an rear end in a top hat for driving like that on public roads.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Azenis are fine for $300 a set summer tires.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

n8r posted:

Your car sounds like poo poo, you're a lovely driver, and you're an rear end in a top hat for driving like that on public roads.
This thread sounds more and more like forza party chat everyday

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

n8r posted:

I made it 30 seconds until the first double yellow.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

willroc7 posted:

I will check this out. Thanks. Did it happen to you after a water pump/alternator belt change?

it apparently had been an ongoing issue and i just assumed it was the belt going bad. i can only assume when it was done last they didn't tighten enough and the screws slowly started walking out.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I don't know if you realize this, but double yellow means "do not cross" hth

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Here is the cold start rattle I was discussing earlier. It only lasts here for around 2 seconds, the first time it was longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6uiTAXoerQ

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are you sure that's from the front of the engine and not the top? It sounds like when I have used up oil and need an oil change. The old oil getting too thin and while sitting it can drain out of the hydraulic lash adjusters, when the oil pump pushes it back in there it's all quiet again until it gets another couple of hours of rest to let it all drain out again. Time for the Rotella T6 bandwagon. I used it in every HLA Miata I've had because putting in the cheapest store brand or Mobile 1 or whatever's on sale has so consistently lead to rattly HLAs for me, lots of people like T6 so I tried that and it seems to work for me too.

You also could take them out and clean them, but that's a lot of labor for something that doesn't lead to any further failure other than rattly startups.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

No, I'm not sure. I'll try an oil change since that's easy enough. The car has always been on dino oil. Is it ok to switch to synth? I have a bunch of Mobil 1 0w40 around...

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Anyone know of any decent miata clubs in central FL that aren't full of idiots or dicks?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Pretty sure "full of idiots and/or dicks" is an essential property of car clubs. Hth

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

GEMorris posted:

Pretty sure "full of idiots and/or dicks" is an essential property of car clubs. Hth

Quoted for posteriorority

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Anyone know of any decent miata clubs in central FL that aren't full of idiots or dicks?

Nope.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

My 90 NA has a shimmy at 65mph. I'm going to get my tires re-balanced, what else should I check?

This car also does not have a seat belt brace, if anyone has one lying around I would be interested in purchasing it.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Gorson posted:

My 90 NA has a shimmy at 65mph. I'm going to get my tires re-balanced, what else should I check?

This car also does not have a seat belt brace, if anyone has one lying around I would be interested in purchasing it.

The 65mph Shimmy is pretty famous.

Alignment and Balance generally fixes it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Driving faster (or slower) also fixes it.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Has anyone gone to Deals Gap for miatas at the gap (or anything else, really)? I'll most likely finally be able to go next year, but having never been have no idea what I can expect to pay for a hotel room in the area. Any other things I should know to plan for that aren't common knowledge/sense?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Go to those places by yourself rather than with a large group of people which will contain a non-zero number of idiots who will do unsafe things and encourage others to do unsafe things which will result in everyone in your group targeted by local leo

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Has anyone gone to Deals Gap for miatas at the gap (or anything else, really)? I'll most likely finally be able to go next year, but having never been have no idea what I can expect to pay for a hotel room in the area. Any other things I should know to plan for that aren't common knowledge/sense?

There's a campground nearby that rents cabins, that's what we did. Tapocco Lodge is right there but is expensive and probably booked.

If you don't mind being around a bunch of Miata nerds and barely being able to drive or park anywhere you'll be good.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Gorson posted:

New tires, balance and alignment ... moved it up to a 70mph shimmy. Feh.

Just do this:

Phone posted:

Driving faster (or slower) also fixes it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
RoadForce balancing fixes it but it will come back in 6 months to a year.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The payday parts list keeps on growing and inspection is in December. :negative:

I think I need to go crawl under it at the weekend and hide the zipties check for anything else that needs doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Just put 2 fresh zip ties under mine the other day. Thank God antiques don't need to be inspected here.