Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

COOL CORN posted:

And then one of my best friends in high school (Dustie Waring, now plays for BTBAM) gave me a copy of Cannibal Corpse's Bloodthirst, and after that we started a band and the rest is history.

I remember comparing CC lyrics with you, Dustie and Adam to find the most hosed up lyrics. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I remember comparing CC lyrics with you, Dustie and Adam to find the most hosed up lyrics. Fun times.
Seems like there are a lot of Raleigh-area metalheads who post in this thread. I don't know much of Cannibal Corpse's lyrics, admittedly, but is there anything worse than
"Your dead child I defile
Necropedophile"?

That's the only particularly striking one that comes to mind.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Tick-Tits by Gwar at deserves a mention.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

symbolic posted:

What was the song that got you guys to start listening to metal? I've been thinking about this lately, since I didn't remember at first. I heard "Final Countdown" by Europe a Florida restaurant back in 2004 which piqued my curiosity, but the song that won me over with SlipKnot's "Duality" in 2008 or 2009. Even now, SlipKnot holds a special place in my heart.

I heard Final Countdown alot too growing up so maybe that planted the seeds. I heard some Nightwish and Slayer on a friend's myspace like ten years ago. Talk about a weird mix.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I remember being in eighth grade algebra and the kid (whose brother plays bass in August Burns Red lol) next to me would bring in the Cannibal Corpse lyric books and read them to me because he knew it freaked me out. Later, in high school, I was really into Slipknot which transitioned into Black Dahlia Murder, Amon Amarth, Devourment, and Cannibal Corpse.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:getin:

Won't have to drive to Columbus for a show for once, too.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

the yeti posted:

:getin:

Won't have to drive to Columbus for a show for once, too.

Oh god is there a list of dates for this tour? I can't find anything yet and they really need to come south :ohdear:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Shakenbaker posted:

Oh god is there a list of dates for this tour? I can't find anything yet and they really need to come south :ohdear:

I haven't seen any yet :( just this one thing popped up on the venue's fb page

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Optimum Gulps posted:

Seems like there are a lot of Raleigh-area metalheads who post in this thread. I don't know much of Cannibal Corpse's lyrics, admittedly, but is there anything worse than
"Your dead child I defile
Necropedophile"?

That's the only particularly striking one that comes to mind.
B.D.F. has a similar theme but takes it farther.

Gwar posted:

"You take an unborn child who knows not what you do "
<snip>
"gently caress your warm corpse with your child as a rubber "

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

When I was like 9 my uncle gave me a record player and a bunch of vinyls including master of reality, vol 4, fireball and look at yourself and basically ruined my life. Thanks a bunch well-meaning alcoholic uncle

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
My cousin leant me his discman on a road trip to Wilson's Promitory.

He had a mix CD of Metallica stuff because he's an uber-conservative Christian and only liked some of their stuff. It was a mix of Black album, Load and Reload.

It tore my little 12 year old mind to pieces who thought that Pink Floyd was pretty hardcore.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
What did it for me was the entirety of Metallica's album "...and Justice for All", which some of you may have heard of. It was released (or at least showed up in Norwegian shops) within a week or three of when I started high school, and I bought the tape (yes, TAPE you young whippersnappers) unheard based on word of mouth. Within the next few weeks (in part due to a new classmate who was already into metal) I stumbled across Iron Maiden (yes, I'd somehow never listened to them before), Slayer, Testament and various other bands you may also have heard of. Got to Bathory in less than a year.

My teenage brain was previously primed by having spent some time listening to various so-called hard rock or even glam metal (not a term I can recall hearing then; it was all "hard rock" or "heavy rock" or "heavy metal" or just "heavy") which had mainstream exposure alongside softer rock and pop music, as one did as a kid in the middle of the 1980s. Artists worth mentioning include such groups as Europe and Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and even Guns'n'Roses. (Somehow I'd never managed to like KISS, which were tremendously popular among my peers; so it goes.) But the thing that did it for real was popping in that Metallica tape and absorbing the intro to Blackened (and then the rest of the album, over and over).

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Groke posted:

I bought the tape (yes, TAPE you young whippersnappers)

I bought a tape at a show this year and i'm 23

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

These are leaked dates, so nothing official yet.

Feb. 7 - Manhattan, NY - Gramercy Theater
Feb. 8 - Philadelphia, PA - Kung Fu Necktie
Feb. 10 - Pittsburgh, PA - Altar Bar
Feb. 13 - Washington, DC - Black Cat
Feb. 18 - Charlotte, NC - The Neighborhood Theatre
Feb. 19 - Sanford, FL - West End Trading Company
Feb. 20 - Tampa, FL - Orpheum
Feb. 23 - Newport, KY - Southgate House
Feb. 25 - Cudahy, WI - The Metal Grill
Feb. 26 - St. Paul, Minnesota - Amsterdam Bar and Hall
Feb. 28 - St louis - The Firebird

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

These are leaked dates, so nothing official yet.

Feb. 8 - Philadelphia, PA - Kung Fu Necktie
Feb. 10 - Pittsburgh, PA - Altar Bar
Feb. 13 - Washington, DC - Black Cat
Feb. 18 - Charlotte, NC - The Neighborhood Theatre
Feb. 19 - Sanford, FL - West End Trading Company
Feb. 20 - Tampa, FL - Orpheum
Feb. 23 - Newport, KY - Southgate House
Feb. 25 - Cudahy, WI - The Metal Grill
Feb. 26 - St. Paul, Minnesota - Amsterdam Bar and Hall
Feb. 28 - St louis - The Firebird

Yessssssssssss

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shakenbaker posted:

Yessssssssssss

I too am happy for that since it's going to be a saturday.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

gently caress yeah

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

on another note.. looking at Judas Priest tickets today... why in the gently caress is my local arena selling SEATS ON THE FLOOR

FOR $99 A PIECE

WHY

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Varg posted:

on another note.. looking at Judas Priest tickets today... why in the gently caress is my local arena selling SEATS ON THE FLOOR

FOR $99 A PIECE

WHY
Meanwhile I scored a ticket for BTBAM, Enslaved, Intronaut, and Native Construct for $25 minus fees.

You're getting ripped off, man.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

symbolic posted:

Meanwhile I scored a ticket for BTBAM, Enslaved, Intronaut, and Native Construct for $25 minus fees.

I was so prepped to go and get a floor ticket and wait in line for 3-4 hours so I could get up close like I did with Iron Maiden at the same place 3 years ago, but now no way

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Varg posted:

FOR $99 A PIECE

WHY

That sounds incredibly cheap for arena floor seats though?

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Is this real life??

http://loudwire.com/ghost-halloween-eve-episode-the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/

Colbert is the best. Even though the late-show format is pretty drat tired, he keeps bringing on interesting and novel musical guests.

Xenochrist fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 20, 2015

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Henchman of Santa posted:

That sounds incredibly cheap for arena floor seats though?
that price is for seats near the middle/back of the floor, all the close ones are gone and were probably a lot more :smith: Deafheaven is playing on the same day so maybe I'll just go see them instead

I am actually going to an all-seating Opeth show on Thursday, but that's cause it's for their 25th anniversary show and I'll be mad close

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

symbolic posted:

You'd have to pay me at least $100 to sit through a set with BTBAM and Native Construct

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Hail Spirit Noir moved to a new label, tease new album release soon.

http://www.darkessencerecords.no/2015/10/dark-essence-records-signs-psychedelic-prog-black-metallers-hail-spirit-noir/

I think "Psychedelic Prog Black Metal" sums up their style pretty nicely. :black101:

Here's their current release, Oi Magoi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCCcSU0Mp64

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Ahahahha oh David Vincent you silly bastard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD6pdc31DHM

Also, looks like Dismas been dropped off Netherlands Deathfest too now.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 20, 2015

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ghost performing on Colbert is gonna be pretty cool I think. Not a big fan of theirs but it should definitely be interesting.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Gamma Nerd posted:

You'd have to pay me at least $100 to sit through a set with BTBAM and Native Construct
BTBAM have their moments, but Native Construct are meh. I'm really just going because of Enslaved while my friends that I'm going with love the other three bands, so that works out.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Wyzt posted:

Ahahahha oh David Vincent you silly bastard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD6pdc31DHM

I absolutely loathe this guitar tone. Every band like this uses it and I instantly hate them for it.

quote:

Also, looks like Dismas been dropped off Netherlands Deathfest too now.

I think this whole business with Disma is really loving stupid, but I honestly can understand why there would be hoopla about Craig being on the Netherlands Deathfest considering, ya know, Europe was blitzkrieg'd into oblivion by the Nazis.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Turk February posted:

I absolutely loathe this guitar tone. Every band like this uses it and I instantly hate them for it.

I love youtube sometimes.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

TollTheHounds posted:

Hail Spirit Noir moved to a new label, tease new album release soon.

http://www.darkessencerecords.no/2015/10/dark-essence-records-signs-psychedelic-prog-black-metallers-hail-spirit-noir/

I think "Psychedelic Prog Black Metal" sums up their style pretty nicely. :black101:

Here's their current release, Oi Magoi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCCcSU0Mp64

I remember when this album first popped up in the thread a while ago. I really loved it, such a unique sound with unusually warm production considering the subject matter. Great riffs, vocals and drumming too, so am happy to hear about this!

henpod fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 20, 2015

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
For any Gainesville FL goons: in a rare show of actual good music coming to town, Cattle Decapitation is going to be here on November 7th right after they get done with Cannibal Corpse!

Pros: Cattle Decapitation
Cons: They're supported by some really lovely generic deathcore band Abiotic

I put off listening to the new Cattle Decap album until yesterday and I am sad that I did because it rips

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

comes along bort posted:

I love youtube sometimes.

That comment is right, haha.

Thats some boring rear end poo poo!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
so aside from Vader and Hoth, what's some other Star Wars themed metal? (even if it is in name alone)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bossk?

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

so aside from Vader and Hoth, what's some other Star Wars themed metal? (even if it is in name alone)

Noothgrush did a song.

https://youtu.be/anFP7xnthg0

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
On the topic of first metal tune:

Oh man, Embarrassing I was a teenager answer, Ain't My Bitch off of Load. Ugh. Hurts to even type it. But when I heard that, it was a whole new level for me. Graduated to Cowboys From Hell and Demanufacture from there. But the album that probably cemented my metal fandom for good was Chaos A.D. These days, I'm more of an Arise guy, but god drat you can't argue with the killer production on Chaos, and it's got a lot more sonic variance than Arise does, even if Arise has, on the whole, better individual tunes in my opinion. Desperate Cry will never get old, ever. A tear for what happened to Sep. Graduated into all sorts of bizarre ephemera from there, of course, but those guys were great entry points for a pissed off teenager. The only genre I don't generally dig is black, honestly, but I've been trying to remedy that with lots of Enslaved and Dissection.

So goons. Here's one for you. It's a lovely, overcast day here in Chicagoland and I'm wondering what albums/artists epitomize Autumn for you. Someone recommended Thy Light's No Morrow Shall Dawn a long ways back when I started lurking this thread, and I finally checked it out. It's awesome. I'm looking for something in that mode, but not solely. I want dirges, mournful progressions, lots of melody, and agony. Or failing that, artists that get near to what I'm after would be Type O Negative (naturally), Thy Light, some of Opeth's stuff (Drapery Falls, especially), Loss, that sort of thing. I'm looking less for any genre touchstones or whatever and more for atmosphere, but if you had to go with a particular sound, Thy Light would be the sound I'm most interested in.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

BurningBeard posted:

So goons. Here's one for you. It's a lovely, overcast day here in Chicagoland and I'm wondering what albums/artists epitomize Autumn for you. Someone recommended Thy Light's No Morrow Shall Dawn a long ways back when I started lurking this thread, and I finally checked it out. It's awesome. I'm looking for something in that mode, but not solely. I want dirges, mournful progressions, lots of melody, and agony. Or failing that, artists that get near to what I'm after would be Type O Negative (naturally), Thy Light, some of Opeth's stuff (Drapery Falls, especially), Loss, that sort of thing. I'm looking less for any genre touchstones or whatever and more for atmosphere, but if you had to go with a particular sound, Thy Light would be the sound I'm most interested in.
I can't really recommend anything new to you, but Opeth's Blackwater Park, KMFDM's Symbols, and (even though it's not metal) AFI's Art of Drowning are my go-to albums for the current fall gloom.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

http://www.metal-archives.com/search?searchString=star+wars&type=band_themes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

TollTheHounds posted:

I just read a review on angrymetalguy about Enshine who I had never heard of before. These guys will probably be right up the alley of anyone into Insomnium/Omnium Gatherum as their work is in a similar vein - depressive melodic death but a bit more doomy/proggy I think.

2013 Album "Origin" is out on Google Play Music, Youtube etc ( dunno for sure about others but surely everywhere ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTU3RfIfUWk (edit to link to full album instead)

New Album "Singularity" coming out on the 18th: http://enshine.bandcamp.com/track/adrift , http://enshine.bandcamp.com/track/resurgence

Thanks for this, Singularity is an absolutely fantastic album.