Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Epic trolling:

1. Raise $78,000 on Indigogo to make a film.
2. When you meet your funding goal, go silent, stop all communication.
3. Two years later, release a brief apology explaining that you blew threw all the money already and there won't be a film.
4. Two weeks after that, release a trailer for the film you *did* make, about three guys who run a fake crowdfunding campaign and just keep all the money.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/q-and-a/a49026/fnd-films-indiegogo-its-all-good/

A quick sneak peek at the actions Indiegogo will take to address backer concerns raised as a result of this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7tyF71zHA

Video about a Kickstarter thing that can’t get regulatory approval because it will put your eye out.

they refunded everyone, not your typical product canceling

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Carrion Luggage posted:

And the product exists and works as advertised, is it a first ?

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

unpacked robinhood posted:

it's only $399 :psyduck:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Computers anyone can make!!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kano kits are in no way awful, I work with them in an educational context most weeks and they're absolutely perfect for getting people comfortable with mucking around with software and hardware at a low level.

Hell, their terminal quest "game" is so on point I train my coworkers with it if they're so inclined.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Also they have actual testimonials instead of pictures of logos of companies nobody's ever heard of

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

I don't get it, this is the Awful Kickstarters thread. Did you get lost?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Just another dump iPhone case?. Yes. But with a twist.

The thing is that they did a Kickstarter before for the same dumb poo poo. And that project delivered 2 years late, delivered something pretty much entirely different, and didn't deliver to everybody. Half the delivered cases didn't work at all.

Then they decided to kick off their new great Kickstarter by mailing all backers of their previous project to have them come and join. Unsurprisingly, there's a couple salty comments from some of these.

Yes, I backed their first project and feel dumb now, why do you ask?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Look at the prices of the kit components. You can get a small development/tinkering PC or microcontroller for a lot less, so yes, it's loving horrible and stupid

you don't need to spend $300 to learn how to program machines

edit: forgot the retail prices! Make that $500

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Sep 30, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Noyemi K posted:

Look at the prices of the kit components. You can get a small development/tinkering PC or microcontroller for a lot less, so yes, it's loving horrible and stupid

you don't need to spend $300 to learn how to program machines

edit: forgot the retail prices! Make that $500

They're not competing with soldering irons and arduinos or RPis, which are outstanding things that do exactly the same thing if you have the skills and time.

Kano kits basically guarantee a homogenous experience up to a point so you can get to actually valuable parts of working with software and hardware. They also let an instructor or parent quickly troubleshoot any problems on the fly without also tackling the crazy electronics learning curve themselves. Instead of one-on-one with tons of hands on help and a little pile of bits that doesn't work after two hours, kids can get a little computer assembled and running and start doing poo poo in large groups or with very little help from a novice parent in like 20 minutes.

There's also accessibility concerns. Electronics are great but they're not very accessible, groups of kids straight up can't manage breadboards or soldering iron until they're like 12, and if they have any sort of disability it's just right out.

You'd probably hate littlebits as well but they're a loving revelation for teachers.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Hey kids and educators, want to learn how computers work? Give us $500 to buy a pre-made one so you don't have to learn enough about how computers work to build one :downsbravo:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

klafbang posted:

Just another dump iPhone case?. Yes. But with a twist.

The thing is that they did a Kickstarter before for the same dumb poo poo. And that project delivered 2 years late, delivered something pretty much entirely different, and didn't deliver to everybody. Half the delivered cases didn't work at all.

Then they decided to kick off their new great Kickstarter by mailing all backers of their previous project to have them come and join. Unsurprisingly, there's a couple salty comments from some of these.

Yes, I backed their first project and feel dumb now, why do you ask?

Of course it's a dragon case

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Guy Mann posted:

Hey kids and educators, want to learn how computers work? Give us $500 to buy a pre-made one so you don't have to learn enough about how computers work to build one :downsbravo:

Building a computer teaches you about jack and poo poo about how modern computers work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

Plug the poo poo in the right hole is actually an important part of making computers work that most people are totally incapable of, so yeah.

And don't worry, the institutional customer will be ok spending 30k on 60 of these kits after the fiascos that are chromebook and iPad purchasing programs. Drop in the bucket.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

just get this you goddamn retards

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

tuyop posted:

They're not competing with soldering irons and arduinos or RPis, which are outstanding things that do exactly the same thing if you have the skills and time.

Kano kits basically guarantee a homogenous experience up to a point so you can get to actually valuable parts of working with software and hardware. They also let an instructor or parent quickly troubleshoot any problems on the fly without also tackling the crazy electronics learning curve themselves. Instead of one-on-one with tons of hands on help and a little pile of bits that doesn't work after two hours, kids can get a little computer assembled and running and start doing poo poo in large groups or with very little help from a novice parent in like 20 minutes.

There's also accessibility concerns. Electronics are great but they're not very accessible, groups of kids straight up can't manage breadboards or soldering iron until they're like 12, and if they have any sort of disability it's just right out.

You'd probably hate littlebits as well but they're a loving revelation for teachers.

A) I doubt kids younger than 12 would do well with learning electronics anyway. That's the age brains start to be able to master abstract concepts like algebra.
B) Define "disability." You can solder with broken legs. If you can't operate your arms properly or have a learning disability you have bigger problems anyway.
C) You don't need to learn how to solder in order to learn how to program at the low level.

fishmech posted:

Building a computer teaches you about jack and poo poo about how modern computers work.

Neither does abstracting concepts to the point where it operates "like Lego."

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
also the Arduino already exists

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Carrion Luggage posted:

It was done by WickedLaser, an actual company that's been around for like a decade at this point manufacturing and selling powerful rear end lasers on their website. So they at least have some manner of reputation to uphold + experience in design and manufacturing of the kind of product they were kickstarting.

also jesus loving christ you grognards, the Kano kits are educational toys meant for small children as a stepping stone to get them interested in the inner workings of computers and electronics. they're not 'put tab A into slot B' assembly they have full descriptions of every component installed along side the installation and come with very user friendly books for simple programs that lay out basic concepts. because they're intended for small children.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

But but but someone posted it in the bad Kickstarters thread so it must be the worst

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
yeah man a $500 computer kit is going to be a great toy that everyone can afford! I mean, it's one toy. How much could it cost, $500?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
this obsession with creating "simple" garbage manufactured by startups to sell to upper middle class san francisco tech people so they can Encourage STEM To Kids To Create The Future conveniently ignores that nobody outside of their clique will be able to afford it or will even be interested in it

in the end that's what Kano is, and why it's not that much different from other kickstarter pitches: retarded googaws designed to sell to dipshit californians while getting a nice side of Warm Fuzzies

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Segmentation Fault posted:

this obsession with creating "simple" garbage manufactured by startups to sell to upper middle class san francisco tech people so they can Encourage STEM To Kids To Create The Future conveniently ignores that nobody outside of their clique will be able to afford it or will even be interested in it

in the end that's what Kano is, and why it's not that much different from other kickstarter pitches: retarded googaws designed to sell to dipshit californians while getting a nice side of Warm Fuzzies

Didn't someone just say they work with it in an educational context? I don't think it's meant for retail as much as like, schools and poo poo.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Didn't someone just say they work with it in an educational context? I don't think it's meant for retail as much as like, schools and poo poo.

SA is not the place to settle disputes about your potentially-underage characters. SA is not the place to discuss these characters at all.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, I work with them in a library in a large Canadian city. Mostly with poor kids because rich people don't really go to the library, though several school reps here have asked about them and will probably buy them because they're way more useful than loving tiny 3D printers.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

WickedHate posted:

CLASS PACK – 12 NEW KITS

With classroom resources, lesson plans, and onboarding into our educators community.
Includes

4x Camera Kits - July 2017 Delivery
4x Pixel Kits - July 2017 Delivery
4x Speaker Kits - July 2017 Delivery

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

WickedHate posted:

Targeting educational institutions is a great way to siphon money off of already struggling and underfunded schools looking for a quick and easy fix so you can line your own pockets. See also: Schools buying $10,000 smartboards because a former Apple guy shills for the company and they look good in a classroom, even though they function about the same as existing projectors with a cheap pointer and the schools can't even afford to have a full-time school nurse on staff.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lmao kids will love this

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
loving hate computers.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Targeting educational institutions is a great way to siphon money off of already struggling and underfunded schools looking for a quick and easy fix so you can line your own pockets. See also: Schools buying $10,000 smartboards because a former Apple guy shills for the company and they look good in a classroom, even though they function about the same as existing projectors with a cheap pointer and the schools can't even afford to have a full-time school nurse on staff.

you are insufferable

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Lmao kids will love this

Indeed, when I was a kid I would have certainly felt condescended to if I didn't learn anything that I could use to perform tasks on real, useful architectures just like the grown-ups.

I know you're being smug and sarcastic about me linking a somewhat obtuse-looking tool for programming an 80s-era microprocessor, but it's free and the software has everything your sim environment would need for kids to learn about...:
+I/O of binary files on the machine level
+CPU-level mathematics with a flexible architecture
+Addressing, storing, manipulating memory
+Controlling output devices by doing math on values used by TRAP tasks
+If nothing else, it's still useful to learn about an actual architecture used by a number of computing devices in the 80s and 90s, including video game consoles and arcade machines

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sarcastic AND smug, yes. I don't think it's useless, it just looks like garbage.

I don't believe you can get kids interested in programming with this kind of thing when they could be blinking actual LEDs on an arduino or whatever.

Do you have experience teaching to kids using this ? Honestly asking, I haven't been a kid in a while.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sarcastic AND smug, yes. I don't think it's useless, it just looks like garbage.

I don't believe you can get kids interested in programming with this kind of thing when they could be blinking actual LEDs on an arduino or whatever.

I don't think kids really do care too much about blinking an LED on an arduino, to be honest. I mean some will but probably just as much will prefer this thing, and another similar group would prefer another approach.

It's really a thing where different kids are just going to find different approaches interesting.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

It looks like any other IDE/debugger with some additional bits and bobs, perhaps try it or learn to program before calling it based on its hilarious 90s-esque website

e: oh yeah, and it's not $500

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Oct 1, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Carrion Luggage posted:

you are insufferable

Let's hawk more overpriced garbage at the classroom instead of funding schools

Kickstarting a school doesn't get you a microwallet or a cube of bismuth so nobody cares

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My brother and I are working on getting this biofeedback signal to trigger a flame thrower. Can we kickstart this? (it's pretty deadly!)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I like the lego computer. It's pretty much every Baby's First Visual Programming that uses a big, colorful component-based UI so you can learn conceptual logic basics like assignment, hooks, conditionals, and iteration with plain language and color coding and without having to deal with syntax and conventions.

yeah I really want to explain registers and memory/instruction pointers to a child, that sounds like where you should start learning about programming.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Caphi posted:

I like the lego computer. It's pretty much every Baby's First Visual Programming that uses a big, colorful component-based UI so you can learn conceptual logic basics like assignment, hooks, conditionals, and iteration with plain language and color coding and without having to deal with syntax and conventions.

yeah I really want to explain registers and memory/instruction pointers to a child, that sounds like where you should start learning about programming.

i enjoyed messing around with REdit on the macintosh when i was very young, mainly messing around with text strings and graphics in games. then again i never did become a programmer when i was older.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Caphi posted:

YES, YOU loving SHOULD

to program a loving computer, you should have a basic idea of how it loving works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Noyemi K posted:

YES, YOU loving SHOULD

to program a loving computer, you should have a basic idea of how it loving works

There's no reason to start out with assembly code.