Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh hey all ur avs are back now! i think my work tried to block sa but only did the image servers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gratz

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
re: w8/w8.1 update fuckery, it affects server 2012r2 too

specifically if you say, use microsoft's latest hyper-v and use a gen2 hyper-v vm and do a plain, stock, completely unmodified oob install of server 2012r2 in the vm it is literally impossible to run any updates

because gen2 vms use uefi and so turn on "secureboot" by default.

a boot so secure that it literally prevents windows' own trusted installer from updating any code at boot time, causing any update requiring a reboot to fail

so if you want to use secureboot and keep your wandows up to date every month you need to do minimum two shutdown/boot cycles, because you can't disable or enable secureboot once the vm is running.

this is known and apparently intended behaviour. because gently caress you, that's why

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
secureboot: secure enough not to trust our own updates

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

secureboot: secure enough not to trust our own updates
tbf i wouldn't trust windows updaters either

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anthonypants posted:

tbf i wouldn't trust windows updaters either

no, it's actually pretty effective in that sense

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
windows update is practically malware at this point

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

windows update is practically malware at this point

you don't want skype, bing, a browser, a bing browser bar, a language bar, and ads for a new OS all hidden under recommended updates that download and install by default?

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

hyper-v gen2 is garbage that breaks a lot of things, don't use it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Raere posted:

wandows

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Raere posted:

$new_microsoft_product_release is garbage that breaks a lot of things, don't use it

fixed

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

hell not even full product releases, updates alone are hosed up and garbage

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/details-of-free-windows-10-update-become-a-little-clearer-but-questions-remain/

quote:

Windows 7 Home Basic and Home Premium, and Windows 8 and 8.1, will all upgrade to Windows 10 Home. Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate, and Windows 8 and 8.1 Pro, will all upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. This upgrade will be free, and will be delivered exclusively through Windows Update. Corporate Windows Pro systems using WSUS will have to use Windows Update in order to use the upgrade.

gently caress you I don't wanna update my OS through Windows Update, you can't even deliver regular updates correctly, much less the entire thing. Clean install or bust.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Raere posted:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/details-of-free-windows-10-update-become-a-little-clearer-but-questions-remain/

gently caress you I don't wanna update my OS through Windows Update, you can't even deliver regular updates correctly, much less the entire thing. Clean install or bust.

the whole "free windows 10!" thing is gonna be a total clusterfuck and lol if you think anything to the contrary

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

the entire free windows 10 update thing has already been microsoft 101
they made a vague announcement but the more details they give the worse it gets

first it was like 'free windows 10 for everyone!'
then it was 'free windows 10 except for pirates!'
then it was 'free windows 10 but only for the first year!'
now it's 'free windows 10 through windows update only!'

up next 'free windows 10 only if your last name begins with A through M!'

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it seems like not only have they put several asterices on "free" but they're also going to make it annoying to buy

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

windows 10 upgrade edition with bing plus clippers edition

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Raere posted:

windows 10 upgrade edition with bing plus clippers edition

what, no cloud?

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

what, no cloud?

implied from the clippers edition name because if u think theyre any good u have ur head in the clouds

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that requires knowledge of basketball (?), you are terrible at marketing

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

that requires knowledge of basketball (?), you are terrible at marketing

im microsoft

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Raere posted:

did Mike Neil and Eric Traut retire or stop working on it or something?

they seriously know their poo poo and would generally not be ones to break lots of things (without good reason anyway).

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Raere posted:

maybe they'll still have the thing you can download to make a rescue DVD or USB key that does a clean install

then your install process will be upgrade upgrade upgrade, make rescue key, wipe system, clean install

so much more efficient than createinstallmedia, isn't it?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

qirex posted:

it seems like not only have they put several asterices on "free" but they're also going to make it annoying to buy

wandows bitcoin

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eschaton posted:

maybe they'll still have the thing you can download to make a rescue DVD or USB key that does a clean install

then your install process will be upgrade upgrade upgrade, make rescue key, wipe system, clean install

that doesnt sound actively user hostile idk about your "feature" Jenkins. go work in the shame room.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

go work in the shame room.

how did you know what we call the room with the cats' litterboxes?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Raere posted:

lol its definitely going to automatically upgrade people

preferably while theyre playing a full screen game so they dont realize windows is updating in the background until the updater reboots

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
a "do you want to upgrade to windows 10?" dialog pops up, steals focus, and interprets any key press as "yes" and closes itself while it downloads the upgrade

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

eschaton posted:

i do fresh installs without any media over the internet with my apple computer running the latest version of the most advanced operating system

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

every decision microsoft has made in the last five years has been laser targeted and perfectly executed towards their ultimate goal: being as actively hostile as humanly possible to everyone who has even a passing interaction with their products

windows 10 is their ultimate triumph and their swan song. it is art

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

infernal machines posted:

windows 10 is their ultimate triumph and their swan song. it is art

oh so they're basically hellraiser monsters except for ui instead of flesh

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Raere posted:

then it was 'free windows 10 except for pirates!'

it's still a free install for pirates, but it's gonna have that obnoxious "NOT GENUINE YOU WILL GET VIRUSES CLICK HERE TO BUY A LICENSE" stuff everywhere.

at which point the pirates are either going to crack it or say gently caress it go back to 7 or xp and turn off windows updates forever so they aren't prompted to upgrade to 10 again.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

duTrieux. posted:

LONG LIVE THE TECH REFRESH

*Anytime Upgrade consumes the nearest pc*

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Virion posted:

well i am now and its way better

i know right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

p much, yeah

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

cenobytes

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

eschaton posted:

cenobytes

lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007