Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Kinda didn't want to know what happens at the end of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Kinda didn't want to know what happens at the end of the book.

I am honestly really confused at how you've been able to be reading into stuff about the fluff for 8th edition and not have seen that particular tidbit. It's one of the foundational pieces of fluff for the new setting, explicitly referred to in the main rulebook and basically everything from GW that mentions Blood Angels for something like the last 8 months.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's Armour of Contempt. It also features just what really happens when several kilometers-long battleships enter an atmosphere. Massive wester disruption and huge lightning storms from the pressure change.

Know No Fear has an entire chapter describing one kamikaze attack. poo poo blows up.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve been playing a lot of Freeblade on my iPhone lately, are there any worthwhile books about Imperial Knights?

There's a Heresy era knight house in Master of Mankind.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Pendent posted:

I am honestly really confused at how you've been able to be reading into stuff about the fluff for 8th edition and not have seen that particular tidbit. It's one of the foundational pieces of fluff for the new setting, explicitly referred to in the main rulebook and basically everything from GW that mentions Blood Angels for something like the last 8 months.

I've been away for almost a decade, those two books I read are literally the only fluff I know since whatever has happened 10 years ago. I don't play the game at all, only collect a few minis that catch my eye to paint.

If it's been told everywhere, it's on me. I picked the book up over lunch regardless.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Vengeful Spirit.

Not great, not awful. Had a knight house defending against the entire Warmaster hordes.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Kingsblade is an Imperial Knights novel.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Philthy posted:

I've been away for almost a decade, those two books I read are literally the only fluff I know since whatever has happened 10 years ago. I don't play the game at all, only collect a few minis that catch my eye to paint.

If it's been told everywhere, it's on me. I picked the book up over lunch regardless.

You'll be good. I knew the whole story and loved that book. There's a lot of stuff in there not spoiled, that really is just the broad strokes.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

quote:

Black Library needs you! We’re looking for new writers for the return of Inferno, and submissions editor Charlotte has some top tips on making your work stand out.
Thank God. Maybe now they will stop churning out 37 short stories a week at $3 a pop and just collect them into a once a month omnibus like they used to.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got a link to that?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Got a link to that?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/writeforblacklibrary/

and

Thursday, Jan 11 Games Night on Warhammer Live!
How to Write for Black Library
Black Library needs you! We’re looking for new writers for the return of Inferno, and submissions editor Charlotte has some top tips on making your work stand out.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Are there any books I should read before Master of Mankind? Particularly if there's some important characters whose background I should know from previous books?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

I think Mechanicum, too?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Senjuro posted:

Are there any books I should read before Master of Mankind? Particularly if there's some important characters whose background I should know from previous books?

I really can't think of any, maybe Mechanicum, possibly listen to some of the Silent War audiobooks. It's a rather self contained story for the Heresy. Focuses heavily on The Palace, and the inhabitants therein.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

berzerkmonkey posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/writeforblacklibrary/

and

Thursday, Jan 11 Games Night on Warhammer Live!
How to Write for Black Library

Perfect. I actually have a few ideas which seem to fit within their parameters.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Immanentized posted:

I really can't think of any, maybe Mechanicum, possibly listen to some of the Silent War audiobooks. It's a rather self contained story for the Heresy. Focuses heavily on The Palace, and the inhabitants therein.

That's pretty convenient. Planned on reading Master of Mankind first and Mechanicum second so I'll just switch it around. Thanks.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Which is the better series / book from a writing and story perspective Eisenhorn Xenos or Gaunt ?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Read Eisenhorn all the way through if you have not

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ropes4u posted:

Which is the better series / book from a writing and story perspective Eisenhorn Xenos or Gaunt ?

Eisenhorn is tighter and shorter. Has more punch in a lower page count.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Read Eisenhorn all the way through if you have not

Eisenhorn is tighter and shorter. Has more punch in a lower page count.

Thank you both!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Lol Games Workshop wants $50 for the kindle edition of all three Eisenhorn books together, or $12 per for each one individually. At Black Library stuff is in the Kindle store!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I will pick up the books on the bay, there are PDFs but its a pain the rear end to read a pdf..

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Hmm. On the one hand I have a couple of ideas, on the other hand I'm sure it'll end up another case of "thanks but not thanks" just like my last BL submission. :geno:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MMAgCh posted:

Hmm. On the one hand I have a couple of ideas, on the other hand I'm sure it'll end up another case of "thanks but not thanks" just like my last BL submission. :geno:

Well, you won't know until you try. New management, and all...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd recommend reading the authors' comments on the submission process. Regardless of the quality of their work, they all did something to attract Black Library's attention, so listen to their suggestions.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'm about three-quarters through Scars, and why in the gently caress did this dude choose to have the Fifth Legion talk in broken Gothic? The first time it happened I assumed it was an editing error, but no, the author just decided to jump on the offensive stereotype train I guess.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd recommend reading the authors' comments on the submission process. Regardless of the quality of their work, they all did something to attract Black Library's attention, so listen to their suggestions.

Yes indeedy. In ABD’s latest AMA someone asked him what they should do if they wanted to write for Black Library, and basically his only concrete suggestion was to have something published first before coming to them hat-in-hand looking for a job.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
In all fairness, the publishing business tends to be like that in general. Your odds of getting published go up dramatically once you've got something published, so it's more or less that one lucky break you're hoping for.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That doesn't mean you should go after other prospects first and then approach Black library. By all means submit your work, and there's a chance your lucky break will happen.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

I'm about three-quarters through Scars, and why in the gently caress did this dude choose to have the Fifth Legion talk in broken Gothic? The first time it happened I assumed it was an editing error, but no, the author just decided to jump on the offensive stereotype train I guess.

In universe, they're not fluent gothic speakers, it's meant, in a very clumsy way to portray the insulated and isolated nature of the scars. In a setting characterized by the fracture of a galactic united culture, they're being set up as never fully having part of it in the first place.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Immanentized posted:

In universe, they're not fluent gothic speakers, it's meant, in a very clumsy way to portray the insulated and isolated nature of the scars. In a setting characterized by the fracture of a galactic united culture, they're being set up as never fully having part of it in the first place.

That may be, but it would’ve been great for anyone but the Asian Space Marines to be the ones for this particular shtick.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just reread Salvations Reach and starting on Warmaster. Was there an intersitial short story or something? Because I'm not very far in and Gaunt mentions a recent incident when they tried to resupply at a base on the way home and had what sounds very much like a short story sidequest, but a quick google has produced no obvious return.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 12, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Deptfordx posted:

Just reread Salvations Reach and starting on Warmaster. Was there an intersitial short story or something? Because I'm not very far in and Gaunt mentions a recent incident when they tried to resupply at a base on the way home and had what sounds very much like a short story sidequest, but a quick google has produced no obvious return.

Oh poo poo right I was gonna ask this too. Can't find out anything about it online either, but sure seems like we missed something big.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think that might be the short story included with the collector's edition of Warmaster, but I could be wrong, I just got the standard ebook.

e: "Killbox" is the short story but I guess that's set on the Armaduke too, not the station where they stopped to resupply, so I don't know.

bango skank fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 12, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
What a stunningly idiotic decision, wow. That's really a shame.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
There is two short stories other than Killbox between Salvation's Reach and Warmaster in fact.

Both of them with Kolea at the centre, one leading directly into the other. They're both in the Sabbat Crusade Anthology.

Yes, it's dumb as hell.

VVVVVV Yeah, that. Ghosts and Bad Shadows is the second of the two Kolea stories. Family is the first, and it leads directly into the second.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 12, 2018

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

bango skank posted:

I think that might be the short story included with the collector's edition of Warmaster, but I could be wrong, I just got the standard ebook.

e: "Killbox" is the short story but I guess that's set on the Armaduke too, not the station where they stopped to resupply, so I don't know.

Is it the one with the Eagle Stones, and Gol Kolea's adventure on the depot world? It introduces the Bonesaw Daemon, and a sinister little kid.

That one is available in the Sabbat Crusade anthology that came out in 14/15. The short story was "Ghosts and Bad Shadows"
https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/novels/sabbat-crusade-ebook.html

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There is also another short story called "You Never Know", which is a quick conversation between Mabbon and Varl. It's a shame that Mabbon completely vanishes halfway through The Warmaster, but then, so does Gol.

My favourite short in Sabbat Crusade was the one by Abnett's wife, where Elodie tries to get to the bottom of a string of abuse against widows in the baggage train which stems from Meryn's pensioner scheme.

Meryn has taken the top prize for the absolute worst bastard to ever happen to the Tanith First. Cuu was a sociopathic murderer, but he was also darkly entertaining and dynamic, and you knew he was a bad egg from the start. But Meryn is just an awful, vindictive monster.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Which is kind of awesome since the first collection or two are all 'this fine, upstanding young man we all hope Rawne won't mess up too much' and then fast forward to post-Gereon and wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With rawne now as acting colonel it looks like they're going to try and do a similar dynamic with him and meryn as Gaunt had with Cuu. The need to protect one's own and show he doesn't play favorites, in gaunts case, and the refusal to admit you are at fault for the poo poo turning out like he did for Rawne. Except Rawne isn't a commissar and Meryn has a commissar in his back pocket through blackmail. Rawne better watch his back.

Edited for spoilers

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 12, 2018