Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Well, got the the "TRIAL ENDS HERE" part of the campaign. Took about 6.5 hours. I'm enjoying it. Don't know why some NPCs have pink hair and stupid haircuts, but whatever. Also, I don't have anywhere near the recommended specs and I'm running near-max settings fine. I'm also running the game off of a SSD, so maybe that helps with that weird hitching some people were getting.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Reminder the game is 47.99 USD on greenmangaming

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm just going to wait for a week or two after release and decide then from folks' reactions whether to buy or not.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

I guess on some level this is going to sound like apologist rhetoric but reading a lot of y'all's comments people would end up thinking this game is Atari ET level bad when it's basically ME1, which itself wasn't a masterpiece, and neither is this. It's not anymore remotely as bad as the Goon Hivemind Consensus(tm) is snowballing into

Yeah I played up to the Nexus and reading this thread/watching the videos going around the internet is making me doubt my sanity a little bit. The conversation animations have some pretty cringeworthy moments but overall seem fine to me? I was playing Mass Effect 3 last week and there's a lot of weird dead-eye poo poo and awkward animations there too. Also I'm old enough to remember when everyone ragged on male Shepard's voice acting nonstop, so :shrug:

The shootmanning is good and biotic pinball is fun as ever, but the story is extremely rushed. Definitely kind of bummed that for how much the exploration aspect was hyped, your first contact with alien life is basically just an excuse to get you shooting at something right away.

Actual question: If you're playing the Origin trial but then get a physical copy of the game, do your SP save and multiplayer progress still carry over? I assume so.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 16, 2017

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

PureRok posted:

Well, got the the "TRIAL ENDS HERE" part of the campaign. Took about 6.5 hours. I'm enjoying it. Don't know why some NPCs have pink hair and stupid haircuts, but whatever. Also, I don't have anywhere near the recommended specs and I'm running near-max settings fine. I'm also running the game off of a SSD, so maybe that helps with that weird hitching some people were getting.

New NMS looking good.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

exquisite tea posted:

Not every game can be ME3.

Should've sent a poet.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Avalerion posted:

People paying 5 bucks for a demo is kind of sad/funny in it's own way. But that trend was started by steam/early acess so can't even blame ea for that. Good for the rest of us, I guess. :D

Is there a plot summary writeup from the first 10 hours up anywhere? Or if not anyone willing to spoil?

Come out of Cryo. Crash into some poo poo around what is supposed to the new earth but it's all hosed up. You go down with your dad and some guys to find out what the gently caress but the shuttle crashes. Find some bad dude aliens, try to talk to them but end up in a fire fight. Fight some more. Find your dad. Find some mysterious ruins. Face mask gets hosed up. Dad takes his off to save your life. Dad dies. Your brain gets all hosed up from oxygen deprivation or something so an AI your dad made goes and lives in it which fixes it. Now you're the new Your Dad and you gotta find a new home world so you go to this desert place but there's too much radiation and earlier colonies have gone quiet. Find out it's the bad dude aliens. Gotta turn off the radiation so you play sudoku.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ME1 would greatly benefit from a remaster.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

PureRok posted:

No exaggeration, that screenshot looks like it's from some free to play or cheap survival game on steam ala 7 Days to Die or one of those space ones.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
If you can get over the fact that it's P2P, the multiplayer is a loving blast.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

ME1 would greatly benefit from a remaster.

They should 'remaster' this pos Mass Effect: Andromeda!!!

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

am i the only one who played ME1 when it was released

am i literally the only one

I think it may have been a while since you played it because I did recently, and agree that there are a lot of parallels. There are plenty of parts of ME1 that were pretty rough. On top of that, I think Andromeda also swings the bar back toward ME1 in terms of layering on more RPG systems and stepping back from the more focused ARPG experience, and that may or may not be to people's tastes.

Also, I think that the more exploration focused story has some potential, particularly given that a lot of people have criticized Bioware for going way too far toward melodrama. The whole thing has a very cheesy Star Trek vibe to me - more Abrams Trek than old Trek, I guess, but still. I dig it, but I can see how others wouldn't. And there is a lot of roughness in execution, like the face animation, etc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

A couple hours into Horizon there's this scene, another game where the main character's father figure abruptly departs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1qYaA4MxjU

Compared to https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/842124856699281410

Yeah but you know, same old AAA production values, practically indistinguishable from one another.

Another game with some excellent facial acting is Witcher 3.

Huge spoilers for W3:
The scene where Geralt enters the hut where Ciri is for the first time is ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBNM9-m2P9Q
1 minute 20.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

called customer support and they can't reset it or refund me lol

You will be able to refund it after the game launches. We should almost put this in the OP. How to refund the game after Tuesday.

quote:

ou may return EA full game downloads (PC or Mac) and participating third party titles purchased on Origin for a full refund. Send us refund requests within the following timeframes: Within 24 hours after you first launch the game. Within 7 days from your date of purchase.

Unless EA is trying some funny business, which they may considering I am sure a lot of people are getting refunds or cancelling preorders if they can, you should be able to refund the game unless you pre-ordered more than 7 days ago and they are tying both into the equation.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exquisite tea posted:

Wouldn't you know it, when a project gets delayed multiple times, several high-profile people quit halfway through development, predatory super deluxe pre-orders are monetized, and gameplay videos are hidden from the public until the very last minute, it usually isn't because the studio has a great game on their hands that they just have to keep secret for fear of spoiling the fans.

The fallout 4 defense.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

What a terrible and wrong opinion to have.

Nah, it's definitely exacerbated by the actual character models. If they looked OK, I don't think I or anyone else would've cared much.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

This is crazy. Even ME1 had a better cast capable of better delivery than this, and ME1's VA was not great compared to ME2 and 3.

Claiming that it is "standard" and equal to other AAA titles is bizarre.

I guess I'm a simpleton, but I honestly cannot tell the difference.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Mr President posted:

my recommendation is to skip this game and go play Nier Automata instead

This

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Fried Watermelon posted:

Reminder the game is 47.99 USD on greenmangaming

Reminder, the game will most likely be $19 in two weeks on Green man gaming.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nazzadan posted:

No exaggeration, that screenshot looks like it's from some free to play or cheap survival game on steam ala 7 Days to Die or one of those space ones.

Oh come on. There is hyperbole and there's that. I am running the game on the absolute minimum card and 7 days to die looks like a DS game compared to that.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Just play Doom a few more times.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Did this get posted yet? I think some possible intro spoilers but other than that, great atmosphere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zUilV_oemg

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's strange, because mass effect andromeda has been in development for 5 years, but dragon age inquisition came out 3 years ago. dragon age inquisition suffers from all the animation maladies people are brushing off as "oh it's just bioware being bioware!", and yet it looks a million times better visually than this game. it would be one thing if they were undergoing simultaneous development: A-team went to DA:I, F-team went to ME:A, but what exactly happened after DA:I development wrapped? why couldn't they have shifted some of the animators/graphic designers to polishing ME:A?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

VanillaGorilla posted:

I think it may have been a while since you played it because I did recently, and agree that there are a lot of parallels. There are plenty of parts of ME1 that were pretty rough. On top of that, I think Andromeda also swings the bar back toward ME1 in terms of layering on more RPG systems and stepping back from the more focused ARPG experience, and that may or may not be to people's tastes.

Also, I think that the more exploration focused story has some potential, particularly given that a lot of people have criticized Bioware for going way too far toward melodrama. The whole thing has a very cheesy Star Trek vibe to me - more Abrams Trek than old Trek, I guess, but still. I dig it, but I can see how others wouldn't. And there is a lot of roughness in execution, like the face animation, etc.

ME1 was made in 2007 and was BIoware's first attempt at such a thing (a real-time squad-based shooter RPG with a fully-voiced protagonist).

MEA is literally a decade and two successful sequels later. It should not be getting praised for essentially meeting the same standards of its ten years older prototype.

I'm still trying to puzzle out he logic of "Well, ME1 had parts that were rough so this excuses all the rough parts (which are more obvious and numerous) of Andromeda".

ME1 set a new standard in a lot of ways and was innovative and good looking for its time. What standard is Andromeda going to set?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh come on. There is hyperbole and there's that. I am running the game on the absolute minimum card and 7 days to die looks like a DS game compared to that.

Well 7 Days was a bit dishonest of me. Maybe an Ark or something like that. I have seen pseudo-Mass Effect looking space survival games that look about as quality as that screenshot. It all meshes very strangely, the super high res ground textures, the lovely looking trees, the lovely looking player model, the good looking skybox and building in the distance next to lovely looking mountains in the background. Very inconsistent.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Mr President posted:

my recommendation is to skip this game and go play Nier Automata instead

Can you give me a quick run-down about whats good about it? Because this doesn't look appealing in any way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOQwMLWEJrg

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Can you give me a quick run-down about whats good about it? Because this doesn't look appealing in any way:

If you have a PS4, go download the demo.

And then add "is an action RPG and not a Bayonetta clone" to the mix.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UzLgdb1GQ

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Another game with some excellent facial acting is Witcher 3.

Huge spoilers for W3:
The scene where Geralt enters the hut where Ciri is for the first time is ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBNM9-m2P9Q
1 minute 20.

OK it is really not fair throwing one of the very best scenes of W3 like that for comparison

Also that Horizon Zero Dawn video linked by exquisite tea looks really good, pity it is a PS4 exclusive

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

marshmallow creep posted:

7 days to die blows your screenshot away. Should we start some comparisons?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Instead of this might I suggest better games currently avalable:
Horizon
NIER
Zelda

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kingtheninja posted:

Did this get posted yet? I think some possible intro spoilers but other than that, great atmosphere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zUilV_oemg

femryder scared the gently caress out of me

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Have you played a Platinum "cuhrazy" game?
If yes, that's all that needs to be said.
If not, idk there's a demo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Utnayan posted:

7 days to die blows your screenshot away. Should we start some comparisons?

lmao I just goggled 7 days to die and please do

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Norns posted:

Instead of this might I suggest better games currently avalable:
Doom
Doom
Doom

ftfy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is some loving horrible face modeling in a AAA game. Even the goddamn cel-shaded Gerudos in Zelda look better than this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Transmetropolitan posted:

OK it is really not fair throwing one of the very best scenes of W3 like that for comparison

Also that Horizon Zero Dawn video linked by exquisite tea looks really good, pity it is a PS4 exclusive

Yeah, I'm not saying compare it to Mass Effect 4, more "this is the power of what you can do when you don't suck".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
less than a week till the next entry in the mass effect series, are you excited?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
So I loved ME3 multiplayer, but god drat if I'm gonna commit $60 just for it at this point. Redbox is listed as having this on release day. Anyone have any experience grabbing a release day game from one? I'm assuming it's hard to predict when they'll actually be released, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Milky Moor posted:

I'm still trying to puzzle out he logic of "Well, ME1 had parts that were rough so this excuses all the rough parts (which are more obvious and numerous) of Andromeda".

You won't be able to puzzle it out. It's 3rd party viral which has come to the thread to try and work any type of angle to downplay the overly, but warranted, negative opinion of this game. They will be gone 1 week after launch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)