Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
excedrin contains caffeine. Thus taking an excedrin whenever you get a withdrawal headache is the very definition of NOT quitting cold turkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

cloudstrife2993 posted:

excedrin contains caffeine. Thus taking an excedrin whenever you get a withdrawal headache is the very definition of NOT quitting cold turkey.

I meant to say I quit soda cold turkey. It was easier to stop with the 780mg of caffeine I was consuming in soda and just take one excedrin with like 65mg of caffeine every few days til it stopped.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

fagalicious posted:

I meant to say I quit soda cold turkey. It was easier to stop with the 780mg of caffeine I was consuming in soda and just take one excedrin with like 65mg of caffeine every few days til it stopped.

Excedrin works sometimes but not when it's the only caffeine I am getting. I am just going to have to slowly taper down. I am doing less than I was before, and I'll just keep doing that.

My wife and I take a walk every day that we can. We only talked about doing it before. Our 2 year old daughter loves it and it's one of the few times she will sit still. I miss it when we can't take our walks and they have been getting longer and longer. It's great. We can talk and have conversations again as a couple because our child isn't constantly making noise and messes and all other distractions are gone.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Getting outside is the best cure for ADHD

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am using MiO to replace soda and it's working incredibly well so far.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

signalnoise posted:

I am using MiO to replace soda and it's working incredibly well so far.

Google is giving me nothing unless you replaced soda with a gps

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I think hes referring to this weird syrup you add to water to create a crystal light style drink. I saw a commercial for it like a week ago (thank you ADHD).

edit
google tells me it's a "water enhancer"

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah it's like liquid crystal light. Use only the amount you want/need for whatever amount of water you've got. Tastes good and you don't have to deal with any messy powders. I like having a kool ade on demand that is cool with me being fickle about flavors and whatnot.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
What's wrong with water? Yeah it's really boring and hard to switch to after drinking a ton of soda, but you'll prefer it when you get thirsty if you do it the "hard way."

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tap water tastes bad where I live

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

signalnoise posted:

You can taste the chlorine or whatever it is in our water. It does not taste like water. No one drinks the tap here unless you get well water. My grandma gets well water and I drink from her tap all the time.

\/ i have one, i just dont replace the filter ever :saddowns: I need to get a new filter.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 3, 2011

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

signalnoise posted:

brita filters! I can't drink any tap water without it, but we have a huge 5L jug or something with one brita filter. It only costs maybe 5$-10$ every 3 months to replace it so it's a good investment. Means you always have cold water too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Aculard posted:

brita filters! I can't drink any tap water without it, but we have a huge 5L jug or something with one brita filter. It only costs maybe 5$-10$ every 3 months to replace it so it's a good investment. Means you always have cold water too.

You mean for me to replace a simple squirt bottle to make my water taste good on command with a device that requires maintenance and planning.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Tap water tastes terrible where I live too. I drink bottled water out of the house and get 5 gallon water cooler type containers with a spigot. It's a cop-out to just say "tap water sucks."

I need to get one of those filters... I don't know where I would get one besides like target, and gently caress target because it's always so busy.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

signalnoise posted:

You mean for me to replace a simple squirt bottle to make my water taste good on command with a device that requires maintenance and planning.

Whine some more, eh? If you want to replace soda with squeeze bottles of fake sweetener you're free too, but it just seems really petty and childish to go "BUT IT REQUIRES EFFOOOOOOOOOOOORT"

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

TheGopher posted:

I need to get one of those filters... I don't know where I would get one besides like target, and gently caress target because it's always so busy.

amazon?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

2508084 posted:

amazon?

Amazon.

Protip - if you search for Brita filter packs in odd numbered quantities, you can sometimes get a fantastic bargain. Last year, I ordered a pack of 7 ( :psyduck: ) filters - it was less expensive than a pack of 4 filters. Otherwise, they were identical. I also stay away from the filtering systems that can be screwed on to your faucet; I find that a pitcher system is cheaper and does a better job. YMMV, of course.

If you're by a Bed, Bath and Beyond, they also have a ton of different brita pitcher sizes and filters, and they're prices are good to boot.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I keep a Hydros Bottle around the office, and that definitely goes a long way towards improving the tap water. Remembering to change the filters can be an issue, but if you've got a system that works for recurring tasks, it's easy enough to add that in.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Aculard posted:

Whine some more, eh? If you want to replace soda with squeeze bottles of fake sweetener you're free too, but it just seems really petty and childish to go "BUT IT REQUIRES EFFOOOOOOOOOOOORT"

Seems to me to be petty and childish to rip into someone you don't know for not doing what you want them to.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
"Rip into someone" aka calling you out for being lazy and making excuses.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Are you serious? I mean would it make a difference to you to say I like the taste, or are you gonna keep on?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 3, 2011

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I'm not going to criticize you signalnoise. But I bought some mio today and I don't like it as much as crystal light :( The extra step of making a jug is worth it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

I'm not going to criticize you signalnoise. But I bought some mio today and I don't like it as much as crystal light :( The extra step of making a jug is worth it.
Can't take it with you and make more at a water fountain though :/. I have tried their individual packets though, they're aight.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Are you serious? I mean would it make a difference to you to say I like the taste, or are you gonna keep on?

Ok, I was being a little overbearing, but we're not questioning your choice to use your water sweetener, we're looking at the reasons why you say you can't drink tap water. You said tap water tastes bad, and it's too much effort to keep and maintain a filter - both of these are total cop-outs.

I'm not saying I'm such an amazing person and do everything perfectly, but I don't lie to myself. It's one of the best "coping" strategies I have for ADHD, because it makes it easier to identify bad habits and behaviors. The only way you can correct these bad habits is to recognize when you're engaging them, and then make a conscious effort to change your ways. When I procrastinate now, I will say to myself, "You're just being lazy and making excuses," and will either follow that up with, "and I'm ok with that," or, "so you have no reason to not just get it done right now." It helps reduce my overall anxiety because I put myself in control of the situation instead of letting the procrastination control me, which in turn is making me more successful.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

That's funny, one of my coping mechanisms is finding ways to make my goals easier to accomplish. I don't see drinking what is basically sugar free koolade instead of water as procrastination, because my goal isn't to drink water, it's to stop drinking so much soda. I didn't say I can't drink tap water, I said the water tastes bad. I also basically said using a brita filter requires a lot more effort than just flavoring the water. Both of these are true.

The difference in reward between flavoring my water and filtering my water is trivial to me, so I'm going for the easier option. I don't go out of my way to find harder methods of accomplishing the same goal. It's no cop out, because I don't care. I'm not fooling myself. I know the reasons I'm not drinking plain water.

Also, I shouldn't have to defend this. This is two times in a row now that I've come into this thread, made a simple post for a question or suggestion, and gotten jumped on. What is it that makes you dig so deeply into a simple suggestion to make assumptions about me and my life?

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I know I would not keep up on changing a water filter and it would cost more in time and money than it would be worth to me, especially since I would not use it very often.

It would basically be clutter in my life/brain. I guess that's just another variation of not lying to yourself. If you know you won't follow through (and since it's not something essential), focus your efforts on other things.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well I am biting the bullet and am now signed up for an 8 hour test battery split into two parts of 4 hours a piece. Woooo?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Seems to me you're being a bit defensive over something trivial.

Filtering or cleaning your water is probably better advice than covering up your water with an artificial flavor that encourages a sweet tooth in a country where obesity heart disease and diabetes is the fastest rising killer statistically.

Its not a big deal either way, but you two should knock it off and be friends so we can all go back to being cope-buddies.

Also- watch Gasland. It was nominated for an Oscar but shot with a handicam.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Seems to me you're being a bit defensive over something trivial.

I shouldn't have to defend it in the first place. How would you feel if someone called you petty, childish, and lazy because of your beverage preferences and not wanting to clutter up your fridge? I agree that drinking flavored water instead of filtered water is a trivial thing. They are accusing me of non-trivial things because of it. Would you rather I just say gently caress this thread because it's full of assholes? I can do that.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

signalnoise posted:

I shouldn't have to defend it in the first place. How would you feel if someone called you petty, childish, and lazy because of your beverage preferences and not wanting to clutter up your fridge? I agree that drinking flavored water instead of filtered water is a trivial thing. They are accusing me of non-trivial things because of it. Would you rather I just say gently caress this thread because it's full of assholes? I can do that.

You're doing it again.

I didn't call you anything.

Also- welcome to SA the whole place is full of assholes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

You're doing it again.

I didn't call you anything.

Also- welcome to SA the whole place is full of assholes.

I didn't call you anything. What the gently caress

edit
Alright peace out thread

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

signalnoise posted:

It's the loving internet, grow another layer of skin. TheBigBad is right in that you are being overly-defensive. Want to see how this whole thing started:

TheGopher posted:

What's wrong with water?

Your response:

signalnoise posted:

When people question this logic, and suggest using a water filter, you follow up with:

signalnoise posted:

You mean... a device that requires maintenance and planning.

In response, Alucard calls you childish, which wasn't really fair... but then you proceed to prove her right by acting like a child. There were a hundred different ways you could have responded to the last few posts, but you chose the ones that were the most antagonistic and indignant.

To answer your question:

signalnoise posted:

What is it that makes you dig so deeply into a simple suggestion to make assumptions about me and my life?

Look at the title of the loving thread. You know how I can make assumptions about you? You're doing and saying the same poo poo I used to do and say when I was 17 years old. That was when I blamed everybody else except myself for my own problems, and nothing was truly my own fault. This mentality is so apparent, because instead of responding in a way that would be much more conducive to seeing the result you wanted to see (people respecting your decisions) you instead call us a bunch of assholes.

You're not fooling anyone here.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Goodpancakes posted:

Well I am biting the bullet and am now signed up for an 8 hour test battery split into two parts of 4 hours a piece. Woooo?

Whooo! :dance: :toot: :hellyeah:

Congratulations on taking that first step in getting tested.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Also - is Vyvanse generally 'smoother' on the system than Dex is? I'm thinking of asking my doc if I can switch. Even if it's much more expensive, it might be worth it.

Dex works like a dream, but the side effects are growing from 'annoying' to 'seriously annoying, and impacting my life'. The lack of appetite means that I feel like I have no energy during the day despite eating, and the comedown just messes with my spasticity (as well as the 'no eating' thing). And everything I eat just tastes like dirt. It's just not worth it if I have a chance that my night is going to be full of pain and barely able to walk because my dopamine system is just freaking out. Not to mention the heartburn, which is now mostly gone, but still. (thanks, Prilosec!)

Plus, I take Baclofen in the morning, and mid-afternoon. It's a med I really can't go off of. However, it leaves me groggy, as it's a sedative. Dex, ironically enough, doesn't remove the grogginess, despite it being an upper. However, caffeine works like a charm (and I only need a tiny bit, like a cup of green tea to remove the fog). But then you have the Dex and the caffeine not playing well.

One option I have is to just take the Dex when I wake up, instead of on the commute, and maybe that'll 'kick in' by the time I get to work, and I just deal with it wearing off sooner. I see the doc in the middle of the month, so I want to investigate options I can present to him.

Absolute worst case scenario, I know that at least the Dex works sorta, and I can live with that. But, if there's a drug out there that works better, I'm finally at a point where I want to try it out.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Obligatory desoxyn recommendation.

Also try decaf tea, it contains just the right amount of caffeine for me - but I don't drink it until my normal meds have worn off

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

cloudstrife2993 posted:

Obligatory desoxyn recommendation.

Also try decaf tea, it contains just the right amount of caffeine for me - but I don't drink it until my normal meds have worn off

I'll look into desoxyn. Thanks for the tip. I thought of Vyvynase because it's supposed to be similar to Dexedrine.

However, I have to have the caffeine during the day, to counteract the Baclofen. I'll try the decaf tea instead, to see if that'll work. I'm only drinking green and weak black teas here.

Oh yeah - I take my daily Baclofen doses at 8:00am (when I get up) and 3:30 pm. I take my Dexedrine at 9:30-10:00 am, when I start work.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 3, 2011

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

TheGopher posted:

When people question this logic, and suggest using a water filter, you follow up with:

signalnoise posted:

You mean... a device that requires maintenance and planning.

In response, Alucard calls you childish, which wasn't really fair... but then you proceed to prove her right by acting like a child. There were a hundred different ways you could have responded to the last few posts, but you chose the ones that were the most antagonistic and indignant.

TheGopher posted:

"Rip into someone" aka calling you out for being lazy and making excuses.

TheGopher posted:

To answer your question:

Look at the title of the loving thread. You know how I can make assumptions about you? You're doing and saying the same poo poo I used to do and say when I was 17 years old. That was when I blamed everybody else except myself for my own problems, and nothing was truly my own fault. This mentality is so apparent, because instead of responding in a way that would be much more conducive to seeing the result you wanted to see (people respecting your decisions) you instead call us a bunch of assholes.

You're not fooling anyone here.

You seem pretty angry at someone (and willing to call them lazy and say they are making excuses) for knowing that they would not keep up with and take care of a water filter and that they would essentially be sinking time and money into a useless venture like people with add/adhd do constantly. Knowing your own limits is a must for anyone wanting to do better with their add/adhd.

But hey look at that, tempers flare in a thread full of people with tempers.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Wartime Consigliere posted:

You seem pretty angry at someone (and willing to call them lazy and say they are making excuses) for knowing that they would not keep up with and take care of a water filter and that they would essentially be sinking time and money into a useless venture like people with add/adhd do constantly. Knowing your own limits is a must for anyone wanting to do better with their add/adhd.

But hey look at that, tempers flare in a thread full of people with tempers.

Maybe you misinterpreted my post. I'm not angry at all. Maybe I was annoyed, but there wasn't a lot of emotion involved.

Knowing your own limits is important and fine, but those limits are not set in stone. You should always push yourself to do better, and never accept ADHD as an excuse in lieu of trying.

As for the 'lazy' remark, I did say:

quote:

Ok, I was being a little overbearing

And while that's probably not as nice as it should have been, and is pretty much a half-assed apology, I did change my tone in that post. Also, not to play the, "but he..." card, but signalnoise didn't say anything to help his case. He blew up and stormed off, because people were pointing out behavior that we all can objectively recognize as less than a best effort. I probably wasn't be as fair as I should have been, and I'm not going to lie and say I'm without fault.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
WOULD YOU GUYS SHUT UP ABOUT THE STUPID GOD DAMNED WATER PITCHER THING gently caress. Everybody do their own god drat thing if it makes them happy, all of us are lazy about one thing or another so SHUT UP UNLESS YOU ARE NEVER LAZY ABOUT ANYTHING ANY SECOND OF ANY DAY SHUT UP GOD drat. Isn't hyperfocusing on the dumbest poo poo a symptom of ADD?

Ahem. In ADD-news, I have to see a GP next week and get him to refer me to my current psych so the health insurance people will cover his scripts. Or have the GP re-write my script like my old GP did. New doctors make me nervous by default, but now i'm asking one to rewrite a script for a schedule drug and it makes me feel like a bad person because people automatically assume I don't need it or Im selling it or whatever kids do with adderall now. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

2508084 posted:

WOULD YOU GUYS SHUT UP ABOUT THE STUPID GOD DAMNED WATER PITCHER THING gently caress. Everybody do their own god drat thing if it makes them happy, all of us are lazy about one thing or another so SHUT UP UNLESS YOU ARE NEVER LAZY ABOUT ANYTHING ANY SECOND OF ANY DAY SHUT UP GOD drat. Isn't hyperfocusing on the dumbest poo poo a symptom of ADD?

What? I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention. What were you yelling about?