Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

1)gently caress the Iggles

2)Seriously though, I'm really not looking forward to playing Philly in the future. With the Giants and the Redskins, there are some big question marks about where they head in the next five years, even if it mostly comes down to "when will they switch out at QB?" With the Eagles, I mean they really felt like one good WR away from competing for the division. That first game against Dallas was a cheek clencher, and if Schwartz sticks around long enough as DC that's bound to cause headaches down the road. Wentz looks good, the defense looks good, that's two really big pieces right there.

I hate your city, your team, your fanbase, but I can't deny Philly scares me the most starting next season.

Plus Eli is getting old and Dan Snyder is the worst owner in sports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Eli is old, and the Giants should think about grooming a successor sooner rather than later because his play has dropped off a cliff this year.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

corn on the cop posted:

Eli is old, and the Giants should think about grooming a successor sooner rather than later because his play has dropped off a cliff this year.

They should think about drafting a LT.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chichevache posted:

They should think about drafting a LT.

I'm surprised Beckham's hamstring has stopped being an issue, those used to be chronic career limiting injuries 5-10 years ago.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

corn on the cop posted:

They have a barely used Ryan Nassib

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

They have a barely used Ryan Nassib

They are better off snapping to Perkins directly than having Nassib under center

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TeeMerk posted:

Plus Eli is getting old and Dan Snyder is the worst owner in sports

Jed York

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Shinjobi posted:

1)gently caress the Iggles

2)Seriously though, I'm really not looking forward to playing Philly in the future. With the Giants and the Redskins, there are some big question marks about where they head in the next five years, even if it mostly comes down to "when will they switch out at QB?" With the Eagles, I mean they really felt like one good WR away from competing for the division. That first game against Dallas was a cheek clencher, and if Schwartz sticks around long enough as DC that's bound to cause headaches down the road. Wentz looks good, the defense looks good, that's two really big pieces right there.

I hate your city, your team, your fanbase, but I can't deny Philly scares me the most starting next season.

It's not just WR. As bad as the WRs are, the Eagles are probably weaker at CB right now. It's likely that the only returning CB will be the rookie drafted in the 7th round who was forced into playing time this year due to injury and didn't look like he has the speed to cover even decent WRs.

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/816748290700115969

Also, at LT, they probably get one more year out of Jason Peters, but that's a huge hole waiting to happen.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
People are assuming Lane Johnson is going to move over, but that still leaves a hole at RT and Lane loves him some drugs so who knows what will happen there.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jed doesn't own the 49ers. He runs it for his mom, who's the actual owner.

Also I don't think Jed has bribed federal officials to clear cut public forest so he could have a nicer view.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

exploded mummy posted:

Jed doesn't own the 49ers. He runs it for his mom, who's the actual owner.

Also I don't think Jed has bribed federal officials to clear cut public forest so he could have a nicer view.

Jed says he owns the team, so I get to compare him to other lovely owners.

Snyder is definitely a terrible person. I just think York is a worse team owner.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

corn on the cop posted:

I think we'll see drafted replacements for the 2004 QB class either this year or next year. I feel like the Chargers may go after a QB this year because they're getting a new HC and are probably moving soon. Giants and Steelers will stick by Eli and Ben until the wheels fall off.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm kind of amazed NFL teams don't take more advantage of what I think is the great untapped area of cost advantage: coaches and assistants. They don't count toward your cap, so why not spend good money assembling a roster of the league's best assistant coaches for higher pay?

Because not everything comes down to football knowledge. If you get a bunch of top tier coaches and assistants in one room, sure they can all craft a strategy around your team, but you're also dealing with top tier personalities. You're bound to run into head butting.

It also raises the question of are these guys actually the leagues best coaches? Remember that McDaniels was a super hot commodity when he landed in Denver and proceeded to set that franchise back 5 years after utterly destroying their roster and coaching them into the ground. On the flip side a lot of Steelers fans thought the Bruce Arians hire was hilarious because they hated him as an OC and look how well he's turned around Arizona.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
The giants really need to draft somebody at QB. Nassib is abysmal and the other other QB on the roster is Josh Johnson.

Even if they have bigger needs (like offensive line... again) they still should probably draft and stash somebody.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I'd be okay if they grabbed a second round QB this year or something, first pick should be offensive line or maybe a TE who can block

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Febreeze posted:

I'd be okay if they grabbed a second round QB this year or something, first pick should be offensive line or maybe a TE who can block

Yeah, I'd be happy with something like this too. I'm extremely surface level with college football though, so I'm not sure if there are any good TEs available in the draft now that Jake Butt died.

troofs fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 5, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Doltos posted:

Because not everything comes down to football knowledge. If you get a bunch of top tier coaches and assistants in one room, sure they can all craft a strategy around your team, but you're also dealing with top tier personalities. You're bound to run into head butting.

It also raises the question of are these guys actually the leagues best coaches? Remember that McDaniels was a super hot commodity when he landed in Denver and proceeded to set that franchise back 5 years after utterly destroying their roster and coaching them into the ground. On the flip side a lot of Steelers fans thought the Bruce Arians hire was hilarious because they hated him as an OC and look how well he's turned around Arizona.

I get that it can be hard to identify who the superstar assistants are but there are obviously teams out there that would rather spend nothing on Tomsula than give Harbaugh $3m/year, so that explanation doesn't really carry much weight. The personality/culture thing might, but that still doesn't suggest that a team shouldn't look to spend money on top-tier coordinators just because some of them might have forceful personalities.

Good head coaches will always be really hard to find, but finding good assistant coaches seems much, much less difficult. Also Arians is a weird example, given how well Pittsburgh did while he was offensive coordinator there. Sure, the team got better on offense after he left but that seems much more related to having Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown than Arians being a bad OC (and honestly, who gives a gently caress what Steelers fans thought about the OC of a team that made two super bowls and never had a losing record with Arians as OC?) Hell, he wasn't even fired.

e: The reality seems pretty clearly "because NFL teams are still businesses and teams don't want to spend that much money on personnel who can be hired away and whose likenesses aren't really marketable"

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 5, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'd just be happy with a RT. There's a bunch of quality ones this draft in the top 50 and they should probably land one of them if they ever expect outside sweeps and 5 hole runs to work again. Also I wouldn't mind any of the RBs at all.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I don't know what I'm supposed to want as far as the draft goes, but I imagine patching up the defensive line, secondary, or a running back would be nice.

Febreeze posted:

Isn't this supposed to be a particularly weak QB class?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Wentz is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7VRUJIfAdA

http://imgur.com/UOFFXaB

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I think Wentz is better than he's looked, but lol @ showing three clips from a game vs. the Browns

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think Wentz is better than he's looked, but lol @ showing three clips from a game vs. the Browns

I can't get mp4s to work, sooooo, I was a little short on gifs that would work

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TheChirurgeon posted:

Those are legitimately great throws.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
This my favorite:

http://imgur.com/UOFFXaB

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Was coming to post this.

89 posted:

Wentz is good.

The rapist in a snuff film isn't the hero, buddy.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Ty Nsekhe is a free agent RT from the Skins who has been a really really good back RT and even backup LT. he's older, 31 iirc but he's low mileage and definitely could be an upgrade for some team if we don't keep him

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Isn't this supposed to be a particularly weak QB class?

There's no top tier QB yet who's distinguished himself but there are plenty in the top 100 talk right now like Kaaya, Trubisky, Kizer, Mahomes, and Watson. It's not a weak overall draft class either so these are guys who would be going in the 2nd to 4th round range in most years.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

NattyBo posted:

Ty Nsekhe is a free agent RT from the Skins who has been a really really good back RT and even backup LT. he's older, 31 iirc but he's low mileage and definitely could be an upgrade for some team if we don't keep him

When he had to fill in for Trent loving richardson and wasn't a massive downgrade he made himself a lot of money. Hope he gets it somewhere that is not the giants or eagles.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

shiksa posted:

When he had to fill in for Trent loving richardson and wasn't a massive downgrade he made himself a lot of money. Hope he gets it somewhere that is not the giants or eagles.

Alfred Morris says hi

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

shiksa posted:

When he had to fill in for Trent loving richardson and wasn't a massive downgrade

That's high praise ;)

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Lol that he doesn't like the butt warming bench.

RIP Carson Wentz thread

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

The weather was really nice that day so he was probably concerned with butt overheating, I don't think he is anti-butt heating in general.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I hate the Eagles but Wentz is in fact really good. It's going to suck to be a Giants fan after we win the super bowl this year.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

There should really be a rule that all NFC East teams automatically get playoff berths every year. These games have been lame.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

He said, before the Giants lost in a blowout.

Another meltdown for OBJ after the game. I hope Giants fans appreciate how much this guy wants to win for them. I don't think there is another player in the league who cares this much. (Or maybe he just needs anger management treatment.)

https://twitter.com/jordanraanan/status/818273628483526657

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

FuriousxGeorge posted:

He said, before the Giants lost in a blowout.

Another meltdown for OBJ after the game. I hope Giants fans appreciate how much this guy wants to win for them. I don't think there is another player in the league who cares this much. (Or maybe he just needs anger management treatment.)

https://twitter.com/jordanraanan/status/818273628483526657

He has actual mental issues. If you saw anything like that behavior out of someone in your life you'd be trying to get them into therapy.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Haha, I punched multiple holes in the wall as a teenager. I'm not sure it's mental illness as much as immaturity. Being a top flight athletic star with people worshiping your every move can stunt your development in other areas. OTOH, I don't repeatedly see headlines like this about other players.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Haha, I punched multiple holes in the wall as a teenager. I'm not sure it's mental illness as much as immaturity. Being a top flight athletic star with people worshiping your every move can stunt your development in other areas. OTOH, I don't repeatedly see headlines like this about other players.

I'm talking about the growling and banging banging your head into the locker.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Or he's just a really sore loser and a petulant child....

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 9, 2017

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
A what child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

He has actual mental issues. If you saw anything like that behavior out of someone in your life you'd be trying to get them into therapy.

OBJ punching a wall after a playoff loss is literally nothing, except for funny. Punched walls probably happen at least a few times per season. Not saying that it would be acceptable for a normal person to go around punching walls, but this is an incredibly physical game and he wasn't hurting anybody besides himself, or destroying property outside of the stadium.

• Locked thread