Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

OAquinas posted:

Nah. You CAN finish the game with just two Aegis launchers. It's just a damned grind.

Oooh, I think I did that the first time through. But then, it was the first time I played any Shadowrun, and didn't really know how to build a character, except for "tips" that I found online. And it is a grind.

Is it just me, or is this a pattern with every RPG? KoTOR II, NWN2, DA:O, all of them had a long, grinding (not-very-interesting) fight against uncountable mooks on the way to the final boss. At least in KoTOR II I could Force Lightning large swathes of them, and in DA:O, I could use the more advanced archer talents against the mobs....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

painedforever posted:

Oooh, I think I did that the first time through. But then, it was the first time I played any Shadowrun, and didn't really know how to build a character, except for "tips" that I found online. And it is a grind.

Is it just me, or is this a pattern with every RPG? KoTOR II, NWN2, DA:O, all of them had a long, grinding (not-very-interesting) fight against uncountable mooks on the way to the final boss. At least in KoTOR II I could Force Lightning large swathes of them just walk past all of them with stealth running, and in DA:O, I could use the more advanced archer talents against the mobs....

fixed

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

But-but-but... not kill things? Can you do that? You can't do that. Can you?

Surely not. No-no-no. You see things, you kill them. Occidere, ergo sum. I kill, therefore I am.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the game might be almost over but there's still loot to be had from those mooks

Murder-hobo 4 lyfe

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
If by the end of Kotor 2 you couldn't just autoattack everything to death with ultra tricked out lightsabers then I don't even know what you were doing with your time

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If by the end of Kotor 2 you couldn't just autoattack everything to death with ultra tricked out lightsabers then I don't even know what you were doing with your time

Being awesome with :science: ?

Seriously, force lightning everybody to death was absolutely amazing.

Especially since your defense was also extremely high due to wisdom being a defensive stat

Course to do that you had to have Handmaiden with you (and be a male), but since the female alternative is Disciple... :downsgun:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

mauman posted:

Course to do that you had to have Handmaiden with you (and be a male), but since the female alternative is Disciple... :downsgun:

Worst part is that canon Exile is female, with Handmaiden as a companion. Which isn't possible in the game. :whoptc:

Well okay, the worst part was that the game wasn't "finished", but that's a different story. We're talking final mission grinds.

Is going with drones easier, or is it tedious? You have to keep disabling them in order to keep moving, which can't be a lot of fun. Surely going rifles would've been quick and educational.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Drones are probably the best thing to use if you're not -good- at building characters. I'm really bad at the game and have no idea how to properly equip/spend karma. Drones are nice as they cover everything - extra firepower, extra guns.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

painedforever posted:

Worst part is that canon Exile is female, with Handmaiden as a companion. Which isn't possible in the game. :whoptc:

Well okay, the worst part was that the game wasn't "finished", but that's a different story. We're talking final mission grinds.

Is going with drones easier, or is it tedious? You have to keep disabling them in order to keep moving, which can't be a lot of fun. Surely going rifles would've been quick and educational.

Wasn't there a big fan project mod for KotOR II, that would have fixed the issue?

I regard rifle/decker easier to build and play than rigger/decker.
In SR:R you start with few points for the rigger and are busy putting in karma in dead stats to get the desired three inventory slots.
Lots of micromanagement, too, with moving the drones, moving the decker, though lots of tactical options by the midgame.

Rifle/Decker is basically a Street Sam with Ph. D. You have a rifle and shoot people with it. Mark targets for accuracy. You can do matrix combat, when it is required.
But you won't get any more interesting options, just have a steady performance
Works with every race. Even a Troll protagonist can pull a good matrix performance with 6 intelligence in Returns.

Custom build. The archetypes are messy and waste points in dead stats.
Points go into Body, Quickness, Intelligence and Decking, Ranged Combat and a gun (rifle). Even spread for the three major attributes.
No ESP. Even without matrix summons, you are better stat-wise than every npc.
Dodge is not worth it early.
4 Charisma for two etiquettes and some useful checks.

Throw in money for cyberware. Cybereyes (alpha), Reflex Trigger and a Cyberleg (alpha).

You should have the karma and stat distribution to run around with the best gun, deck and outfit, when they show up. A good rifle/decker can solo "Corporate Extraction" like Amazon did with her two drones.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 20, 2017

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

OutofSight posted:

Wasn't there a big fan project mod for KotOR II, that would have fixed the issue?

There is, Sith Lords Restored Content Mod, and it's feature complete now, the only things it doesn't add back in are the droid planet and like a few companion solo quests i think. That said you need an additional mod to be able to take the handmaiden if female, because they apparently didn't consider that.

As for shadowrun, I got nothing about build chat because I'm an awful decker/shotgunner thats poo poo at shooting because they funnelled to much karma into charisma because it fits better for my ~backstory~

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

painedforever posted:

The canon version is that the Handmaiden and the Disciple both traveled with her. Because restricting one of your companions due to the gender you picked was a stupid loving idea.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Sorry OutofSight, I've butchered your post a bit.

OutofSight posted:

I regard rifle/decker easier and build and play than rigger/decker.
In SR:R you start with few points for the rigger and are busy putting in karma in dead stats to get the desired three inventory slots.
Lots of micromanagement, too with moving the drones, moving the decker, though lots of tactical options by the midgame.

Rifle/Decker is basically a Street Sam with Ph. D. You have a rifle and shoot people with it. Mark targets for accuracy. You can do matrix combat, when it is required.
But you won't get any more interesting options, just have a steady performance
Works with every race. Even a Troll protagonist can pull a good performance with 6 intelligence in Returns.

Points go into Body, Quickness, Intelligence and Decking, Ranged Combat and a the gun (rifle). Even spread for three majors.
No ESP. Even without matrix summons, you are better stat-wise than every npc.
Dodge is not worth it early.
4 Charisma for two etiquettes.

Throw in money for cyberware. Cybereyes (alpha), Reflex Trigger and a Cyberleg (alpha).

This is definitely my go-to build. I tried ESP, and yeah, I found the summons to be to fragile, and I could kill things faster anyway. I'd sometimes put points in dodge, sometimes not. I tried it with pistols once, I rather enjoyed it, to be honest. You won't get instant kills as you would with the burst fire of rifles, but you can keep up a continuous rate of fire, get criticals more often, and never have to "pay" for a reload.

OutofSight posted:

Custom build. The archetypes are messy and waste points in dead stats.
You should have the karma and stat distribution to run around with the best gun, deck and outfit, when they show up. A good rifle/decker can solo "Corporate Extraction" like Amazon did with her two drones.

I think the first thing they mention in the online FAQs is "don't use the archetypes". Sound advice, honestly. And the game is pretty good at giving you your early kit based entirely on your stats. Definitely a system that rewards focusing talents.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

painedforever posted:

never have to "pay" for a reload.

Nobody has to do this if they just carry two guns.:clint:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Stroth posted:

The canon version is that the Handmaiden and the Disciple both traveled with her. Because restricting one of your companions due to the gender you picked was a stupid loving idea.

I think they're on record as saying they'll never, ever write and implement a whole companion that half the players won't see again because it was the dumbest waste of time.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

wiegieman posted:

I think they're on record as saying they'll never, ever write and implement a whole companion that half the players won't see again because it was the dumbest waste of time.

tell that to CDProjekt, that gated literally 1/3rd of The Witcher 2 behind a choice at the end of act 1.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Halser posted:

tell that to CDProjekt, that gated literally 1/3rd of The Witcher 2 behind a choice at the end of act 1.

CDProjekt is not Obsidian. They're better.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Halser posted:

That was cool though, in a perfect world every game which touted that your choices really matter would do something like that.

Obviously they won't because it's not at all feasible and insanely inefficient from a design standpoint, but I kind of love that they were crazy enough to go ahead with it there.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 20, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Basically every other game that does that is a buggy mess, CD Projekt are just loving wizards who somehow pulled it off.

Edit: Undertale kind of counts, I guess.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I just played mages. Pump willpower and spellcasting, stun everyone.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Halser posted:

Route splits are cool because they're a choice, though, and they're an extra incentive for a second playthrough. It's also a choice that lets you know, "This is a choice," so at least you'll know things happened as a direct result of your choice. CDPR does it fine, and others too to varying degrees, mostly because it's obvious when and how your choice leads to a route split.

On the other hand, nobody expects their choice of male or female to be a major plot point, so the KotOR 2 companion boogaloo is a pretty underhanded and unexpected sucker punch.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kanfy posted:

That was cool though, in a perfect world every game which touted that your choices really matter would do something like that.

Obviously they won't because it's not at all feasible and insanely inefficient from a design standpoint, but I kind of love that they were crazy enough to go ahead with it there.

Play Alpha Protocol.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

lightrook posted:

Route splits are cool because they're a choice, though, and they're an extra incentive for a second playthrough. It's also a choice that lets you know, "This is a choice," so at least you'll know things happened as a direct result of your choice. CDPR does it fine, and others too to varying degrees, mostly because it's obvious when and how your choice leads to a route split.

On the other hand, nobody expects their choice of male or female to be a major plot point, so the KotOR 2 companion boogaloo is a pretty underhanded and unexpected sucker punch.

On the other hand, spending lots of money on content that a lot of the playerbase won't see ever is a huge waste of money and resources unless thats THE selling point of your product. The games that successfully do "choices matter" universally suffer in other areas for it because there is only so much dev time.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Alpha Protocol was amazing in that regard. All of the characters had their own personality quirks, so even if you made what looked like a neutral choice on paper, there was a decent chance someone down the line loving hated wishy washy neutrals and would react accordingly

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

DeathChicken posted:

Alpha Protocol was amazing in that regard. All of the characters had their own personality quirks, so even if you made what looked like a neutral choice on paper, there was a decent chance someone down the line loving hated wishy washy neutrals and would react accordingly

Never stop suave/snarking Marburg

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

OAquinas posted:

Never stop suave/snarking Marburg

Fun fact: if you weren't a consistent wise-rear end you wouldn't be able to goad him into fighting to the death in Italy instead of peacing out.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Fun fact: if you weren't a consistent wise-rear end you wouldn't be able to goad him into fighting to the death in Italy instead of peacing out.

That will never stop being one of the best moments in vidyer games.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

lightrook posted:

Kanfy posted:

wiegieman posted:

CDProjekt is not Obsidian. They're better.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved that and thought that decision took some loving balls.
even though the elf side is considerably better in a metagaming and perhaps actual gaming perspective

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Anyone got a link btw?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xander77 posted:

Anyone got a link btw?

I don't know if that particular route is covered, but Bobbin Threadbare did a Let's Play of Alpha Protocol that I thought was good.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Anyone got a link btw?

Here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4x-jooPuEg

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You've linked a video of goading Marburg into a fight to the death in Italy instead of peacing out, due to being a consistent smartass up to that point.

Which is the opposite of what I quoted / wanted?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Oh, that's uh... I misinterpereted that. Sorry

I think it's because to get his opinion low enough (-8) I think, you have to have been a smartass before. If you were professional before you met him he'd have a small positive opinion before you talked poo poo for the next 10 minutes

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

:siren: these games are currently on sale on the Steam store :siren:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you're only a smartass to Marburg but otherwise have a reputation for being professional, he figures out that you're just using it as a tactic to get under his skin and respects you even more.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Intel emails are pretty good too. A bunch of them are fairly dry, like all the SecuritySift Services ones for maps, but sometimes you get ones like these, for doing Russia after Taipei, and Rome after Russia respectively.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

The Lone Badger posted:

If you're only a smartass to Marburg but otherwise have a reputation for being professional, he figures out that you're just using it as a tactic to get under his skin and respects you even more.
I loving love Alpha Protocol. I really need to reinstall that game.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PMush Perfect posted:

I loving love Alpha Protocol. I really need to reinstall that game.

Shame the combat is so bad

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Are you suggesting that pistols shouldn't completely eclipse every other weapon in the game to a comical degree?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

FoolyCharged posted:

Are you suggesting that pistols shouldn't completely eclipse every other weapon in the game to a comical degree?

halo protocol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Randaconda posted:

Shame everything else in a competent shooter is so loving bad.

• Locked thread