Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
the parody is good, but the original campaign is the ultimate parody of itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

BBJoey posted:

why did my fucktard relatives buy an acer windows tablet

probably were lured in by this classic ad campaign:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Amethyst posted:

the parody is good, but the original campaign is the ultimate parody of itself
"you are worthless as a human being. you are only measured by your usefulness as a cog in the corporate machine"
- microsoft

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
has a non-xbox microsoft product ever had a decent marketing campaign

that wasn't made by apple

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Neurolimal posted:

people seemed really excited for windows 95 but i don't know if that answers your question

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Microsoft Corporation reportedly plans to acquire BlackBerry Limited

they found an anchor and are planning on tying it around their ankle.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wheany posted:

Microsoft Corporation reportedly plans to acquire BlackBerry Limited

they found an anchor and are planning on tying it around their ankle.
well how else are they going to increase mobile marketshare next quarter and blame restructuring on the inevitable issues with w10's release?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
no you see this will look fantastic on paper because by buying blackberry, microsoft can say they expanded their mobile marketshare from 2% to 4%! that's doubling the marketshare overnight!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Neurolimal posted:

I remmeber Windows 95 having a huge campaign and seemed to be popular.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
wait is the only way to disable the windows 8 lock screen really by going into local group policy? lmao

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i had to use win10 to rdp into work's vpn today and there's different settings for configuring the vpn in the metro and old control panels, lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Phoenixan posted:

no you see this will look fantastic on paper because by buying blackberry, microsoft can say they expanded their mobile marketshare from 2% to 4%! that's doubling the marketshare overnight!

looks like you're on track for that large bonus we talked about

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

You Am I posted:

I remmeber Windows 95 having a huge campaign and seemed to be popular.

Well, after manufactured launch hype died down stores were saddled with a sizable amount of excess inventory.

anthonypants posted:

wait is the only way to disable the windows 8 lock screen really by going into local group policy? lmao

There's always the option of simply editing the registry.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fame Douglas posted:

There's always the option of simply editing the registry.
prepare to have your mind blown: the registry is where local group policy values are stored

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

anthonypants posted:

prepare to have your mind blown: the registry is where local group policy values are stored

and often loving around in the registry is less of a hassle than finding where the actual setting is in the GUI

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

anthonypants posted:

Mind blown: But not all editions of Windows come with gpedit.msc

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SIGSEGV posted:

and often loving around in the registry is less of a hassle than finding where the actual setting is in the GUI
imho the gui is much easier than modifying registry values over powershell or whatever you're suggesting

Voted Alligator
Apr 13, 2005
shpoods
I used windows 8 for 30 seconds yesterday and it was really slow and bad even on a brand new computer. also the whole reason I even touched the computer is my roommate doesn't know the difference between skype the program and skype.com the webpage. lmao

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SIGSEGV posted:

"Disable password changes: Enable" :psyduck:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

anthonypants posted:

imho the gui is much easier than modifying registry values over powershell or whatever you're suggesting

lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

nah, the registry is good because you can just download a .reg hosted on mediafire or that fat piece of poo poo's megaupload site and double-click it and let it make changes to how your computer works

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

univbee posted:

someplace, somewhere, a business demanded this in a fashion that would make a 2 years old temper tantrum more preferable.

fake e:
I sadly realized a valid case for requiring this would be if you had a kiosk type setup and you didn't want some l33t 13-year old hacker waling up changing it and locking everyone out.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TerminalRaptor posted:

someplace, somewhere, a business demanded this in a fashion that would make a 2 years old temper tantrum more preferable.

fake e:
I sadly realized a valid case for requiring this would be if you had a kiosk type setup and you didn't want some l33t 13-year old hacker waling up changing it and locking everyone out.

It's not the policy itself that's weird, but its phrasing. You have to ENABLE the setting to disable password changes and vice-versa because why should group policy be straightforward and consistent?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Thanks Ants posted:

looks like you're on track for that large bonus we talked about
a 2% raise in pay over my last years 1% raise in pay. that is fantastic! praise to satya!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Work!

Work for free on your time!

Work every moment of your life until you wish you were dead!

Then, work some loving more!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the audience for those ads are executives who get a boner about their workers being Always Connected, not the actual users of the product

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Pinterest Mom posted:

the audience for those ads are executives who get a boner about their workers being Always Connected, not the actual users of the product

CIO catnip

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

univbee posted:

Microsoft Services "We do the work, you do the pleasure."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TerminalRaptor posted:

fake e:

these right here are the words that come from someone who has dealt with poo poo ui so long theyve just internalized it

prob. goes into restaurants and says poo poo like "do i not want to pass up getting a burger today? i think i do! and please dont forget that i wont be forgoing not getting a drink with that. thanks!"

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
are you not bullshitting me right now

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

LastInLine posted:

these right here are the words that come from someone who has dealt with poo poo ui so long theyve just internalized it

You have no idea :(

(Enterprise Software)

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

http://dspwindows-10charanaming.azurewebsites.net/

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
is this another one they commissioned themselves.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

it is

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

yes yesssssssssssss

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

did they commission an edge one to replace internet explorer?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

did they commission an edge one to replace internet explorer?

just lmao at every detail in this pic

the ergonomic keyboard
the metro ie11 mousepad
the surface
the w3c exam tips
the xbox one
the nokia windows phone

jfc

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Windows Tæn