Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

SharkTattoos posted:

Was there an article or write-up that explained the various games of the Chris Roberts franchise and how he wasn't directly tied to all of them?

There is this http://gameranx.com/updates/id/70033/article/the-chris-roberts-theory-of-everything/ if you have time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Hey this isn't exactly the threads' first derail, this will all pass when something worth posting about comes up. I don't mind derails, I'll do fat chat, cat chat, bat chat - have we done bat chat? Like the mammal? They're really cool. They're all better than VAT chat, that one I won't touch with a ten-foot keyboard.

Also the recent forums drama's kind of defanged FYAD's main talking point, they'll be back once it feels fresh again

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
There's a forums drama?

I stay in this thread and the xbox thread at CCCC, so I know nothing of the wider forum culture

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Marching Powder Tells you the thread meta. I Show you.

You're like a malignant tumor that only metastases to the thread's benign tumors and once you've starved them into receding you get banned and show up with a fresh account for the next relapse

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Two sides to that equation :rolleyes:
Jesus lord, how did I end up batting for Ben?

code:
PROCEDURE LIFE_CHOICES
IF joint_pain > dieting_for_years + pleasure_from_eating
   DO DIET
ELSE
   MESSAGEBOX("gently caress off")
ENDIF

quote:

Also there are literal tons of idiots who stand too close to you in lines or are pathologically fat or whine about their access to females because they never "suffered" the societal pressure to behave in any other way.
Are you seriously comparing someone not taking your unasked for nutritional advice to neckbeards whining about their access to females?

quote:

Saying it can't be helped is total bullshit, the evidence for differing behavior over time and across cultures is pretty solid, also there are working treatments for obesity and smoking that granted don't work every time but saying "nah we just wait until Clarence ruins his body and is forced to consider change on his own" is just baffling, what idiot thinks that really

I'm not saying it can't be helped, I'm saying you won't help them. Unless they come to the conclusion that being overweight is no longer in their interest you won't achieve anything by "subtly encouraging them to diet without them noticing it". :cmon:

Unless your idea of "helping" them is pilling up on that "societal pressure" every time you go out with them until you destroy whatever is left of their self-esteem with your "subtle hints" that they should stop being disgusting sacks of lard. Even so the most likely result would be they stop hanging out with you because you'd be a piece of poo poo toxic "friend".

Rule of thumb for when someone you know has a trait their are obviously aware of: Does it affect you negatively?
No > mind your own business
Yes > stop hanging out with them

I used to weight about 0.3Bens and I didn't decide to diet because my friends pressured me, I decided to diet because I got out of breath climbing the stairs to the 3rd floor when I visited my parents.
I still smoke, no amount of friends demanding I stopped smoking would make me stop, it would just make me stop going out with them.

You're saying threatening to leave fatso because he's ugly as all hell is one of two ways to encourage change, the other being to wait and hope he gets worse?

I mean holy poo poo you've got some incredibly bad opinions
It beats kidnapping said fatso and dropping them in an island with nothing but lettuce.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 20, 2017

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

You're like a malignant tumor that only metastases to the thread's benign tumors and once you've starved them into receding you get banned and show up with a fresh account for the next relapse

To be honest he's put more effort into boosting the post count of this thread than most of us here, and when we're honest, isn't that the whole point?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SharkTattoos posted:

Was there an article or write-up that explained the various games of the Chris Roberts franchise and how he wasn't directly tied to all of them?

There was my mobygames binge that resulted in two lists, if that's what you're thinking of:

Chris' credits in Chris-games

Wing Commander (1990)
• Design, Director, Graphics/3D Programming, Lead design, Programming, Producer, Software Engineer, Space System
↳ Secret Missions I
  • Director, Producer, Programming
↳ Secret Missions II
  • Producer, Programming

Wing Commander II (1991)
• Producer
↳ Special Operations I
  • Creative Director
↳ Special Operations II
  • Creative Director
↳ CD ROM Edition
  • 3D System, Graphics, Lead Design, Producer
Notable absence: script, story, programming, direction, design

Wing Commander: Privateer (1993)
• Executive Producer, Original Concept
↳ Righteous Fire
  — None
Notable absence: script, story, programming, direction, design

Strike Commander (1993)
• Cameras, Cockpit, HUD, and MFDs, Director, Graphics, Library Code, Mission Design, Original Outline, Producer, RealSpace System Programming
↳ Tactical Operations
  • Producer

Super Wing Commander (1994)
— None, other than for original PC version

Wing Commander III (1994)
• Cast, Director, Executive Producer & Director of movies, Producer, Story
Notable absence: Any Playstation credit

Wing Commander: Armada (1994)
• Producer
Notable absence: original concept, design, programming, direction

Wing Commander IV (1996)
• Executive Producer, Director of movies
Notable absence: original concept, design, programming, story

Privateer 2 (1996)
— None.

Wing Commander: Prophecy (1997)
• Special thanks (Windows)

Starlancer (2000)
• Executive Producer

Freelancer (2003)
• Original concept, Special thanks
Notable absence: producer, (lead) design, direction, programming, story, script

Other notable (or repeated) people credited in Chris-games

Wing Commander (1990)
• Erin Roberts (Design, QA, dogfight choreography), Warren Spector (Producer, documentation & reference editing), Steve Cantrell (Writing, dialogue, story, QA, gameplay documentation & reference, documentation & reference editing, additional writing), Paul Isaac (Programming)
↳ Secret Missions I
   • Spector (Documentation, producer), Cantrell (Design, writing, implementation, QA, documentation), Isaac (Programming)
↳ Secret Missions II
   • Spector (Documentation), Cantrell (Documentation, special thanks), Isaac (Programming)

Wing Commander II (1991)
Spector (Documentation, documentation design & graphics), David Ladyman (Documentation design & graphics); Stephen Beeman (Director, story, software engineer), Ellen Beeman (Assistant director, script, story)
↳ Special Operations I
   • Ladyman (Packaging design & graphics), E. Beeman (Story, script, documentation, consulting director)
↳ Special Operations II
   • Ladyman (Packaging design & graphics), E. Beeman (Story, script, documentation, consulting director)
↳ CD ROM Edition
   • Roberts (Design, QA), Ladyman (Documentation Design & graphics, packaging design & graphics), Cantrell (Additional Documentation, QA, design, writing, implementation, special thanks), S. Beeman (Programming, design, software engineer, story, director), E. Beeman (Writing, implementation, QA, documentation, story, script, assistant director, voice direction, consulting director)

Wing Commander: Privateer (1993)
Roberts (Assistant producer), Joel Manners (Original concept, lead design), Ladyman (Document editing)
↳ Righteous Fire
   • Spector (Producer)

Strike Commander (1993)
Roberts (Assistant producer), Ladyman (Editing), Paul Steed (RealSpace buildings, RealSpace planes and vehicles, documentation graphics), Bill Baldwin (Cockpit, HUD, MFDs, audio system, RealSpace terrain editor, option scenes, library code), Isaac (RealSpace system programming, graphics primitives, cockpit, HUD, MFDs, mission system, RealSpace object editor, library code), Eric Hyman (Additional programming)
↳ Tactical Operations
   — No familiar names

Super Wing Commander (1994)
Ladyman (Editing), Hyman (Producer), Isaac (Programmer)

Wing Commander III (1994)
Ladyman (Editing), Steed (Assistant art director, Realspace objects, mission briefing & animations), Isaac (High-res 3D object editor)

Wing Commander: Armada (1994)
Steed (Graphics/artwork), Ladyman (Editor)

Wing Commander IV (1996)
Steed (Graphics/3D programming), Ladyman (Documentation), Eric Peterson (historical note)

Privateer 2 (1996)
Roberts (Producer), Ladyman (Documentation), Simon Elms (Initial main plot design), Nick Elms (3D artist/object design), Peterson (historical note)

Wing Commander: Prophecy (1997)
Syd loving Mead! (Concept art), David Swofford (Director of communications), Ladyman (Documentation editor), Isaac (Additional programming)

Starlancer (2000)
Roberts (Producer, original concept, game design), N. Elms (Original concept, game design, art direction, mission design), S. Elms (Assistant project coordinator), Peterson (Game design, assistant producer)

Freelancer (2003)
Isaac (Lead programmer)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

To be honest he's put more effort into boosting the post count of this thread than most of us here, and when we're honest, isn't that the whole point?

We have secret PM sessions wherein we plan the next thread derail with the subtlety and grace of a sharp kick in the groin

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

....with balls.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TrustmeImLegit posted:

You did forget lol. Crack open a book. If you forgot how to read you can listen to any number of Hitler's speeches ranting about capitalists and how they need to be eliminated.

:ssh: He just said it to get the working class on board and divert voters from left wing parties, in truth fascism is all about class collaboration1.

1 You collaborate with the industrialists or the secret police will pay you a visit in the middle of the night

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

We have secret PM sessions wherein we plan the next thread derail with the subtlety and grace of a sharp kick in the groin

He enthusiastically provides the groin I imagine, both metaphorically and lol he posted his balls.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

He enthusiastically provides the groin I imagine, both metaphorically and lol he posted his balls.

Well it netted him a new gf :bigtran:

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Tippis posted:

There was my mobygames binge that resulted in two lists, if that's what you're thinking of:

Freelancer (2003)
Isaac (Lead programmer)

When SC implodes on itself, I do hope that someone who worked on that game will state how little of Chris original work survived the final product as it seems the game was a bigger reason to back star citizen than wing commanders 1-2.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/822243572963540993
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/822245056065241089
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/822463814876745730
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/822463878168805377

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/822244524198072320
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/822244810442637312

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

I think what just gets me the most about this lunatic is his inability to distinguish what is actually in the game right now vs whatever word vomit the handwaving idiot crobbers shits out of his mouth hole. When this thing goes tits up, he is one of the first ones I will make sure to ask where all of these things were. Although I suspect he will just hit the ejector seat button on his accounts to run from the embarrassment. No way is this fucker facing that music.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

This guy sure likes hateboners

Not that there's anything wrong with that

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

DapperDon posted:

I think what just gets me the most about this lunatic is his inability to distinguish what is actually in the game right now vs whatever word vomit the handwaving idiot crobbers shits out of his mouth hole. When this thing goes tits up, he is one of the first ones I will make sure to ask where all of these things were. Although I suspect he will just hit the ejector seat button on his accounts to run from the embarrassment. No way is this fucker facing that music.

It is going to be infinitely disappointing to be unable to rub it in the face of the die-hard superfans who insist everything shown is in game and CR just needs to "flip a switch" to enable it for everyone else.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Eldragon posted:

It is going to be infinitely disappointing to be unable to rub it in the face of the die-hard superfans who insist everything shown is in game and CR just needs to "flip a switch" to enable it for everyone else.

That is why when people speculate if the "True Believahs" may off themselves when CIG collapses, I just don't care. Not one bit. If they are hinging their entire identity and life over a video game? That's natural loving selection at work in real time. That kind of mental illness needs to be culled from the gene pool.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

So, r≈2000 km — a little bit more than the Moon; a lot less than Mercury; not even twice that of Pluto.

That's pretty pathetic in comparison with the scale of “space”, and even on the off chance that it is actually realised at some point, it is already readily beaten by games such as E:D, NMS, and EVE.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

DapperDon posted:

That is why when people speculate if the "True Believahs" may off themselves when CIG collapses, I just don't care. Not one bit. If they are hinging their entire identity and life over a video game? That's natural loving selection at work in real time. That kind of mental illness needs to be culled from the gene pool.

Well, judging by the average age of people who grew up loving Wing Commander, they probably already have kids.

I just hope some of these people get the help they need.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Tippis posted:

So, r≈2000 km — a little bit more than the Moon; a lot less than Mercury; not even twice that of Pluto.

That's pretty pathetic in comparison with the scale of “space”, and even on the off chance that it is actually realised at some point, it is already readily beaten by games such as E:D, NMS, and EVE.

Urgh, it's a flipping demo, of course it's small

Just you wait.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Tippis posted:

He's missing the point. 50M Sq kilometer without any point of interest is just scenery. Its a big nothing without gameplay. Hutton Orbital [url](http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Alpha_Centauri/Hutton_Orbital)[/url] has a reputation in E:D because of the lenght of boring friendship drive travel you have to do to reach it. Flying over terrain is fun for an hour of two, after that it turn into NMS.

Tl;Dr : Players travel long distance for the fun at the destination, not the travel time.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
The last pages have been bad.

You shitlords. Post better. Get fit. Get Unfat. Praise God Emporer Trump and MERICA.

This shitpost brought to you by Brawndo. It's got electrolytes.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

God I loving love B'tak.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Thronde posted:

You shitlords. Post better. Get fit. Get Unfat. Praise God Emporer Trump and MERICA.
Nah.

aleksendr posted:

He's missing the point. 50M Sq kilometer without any point of interest is just scenery. Its a big nothing without gameplay. Hutton Orbital (http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Alpha_Centauri/Hutton_Orbital) has a reputation in E:D because of the lenght of boring friendship drive travel you have to do to reach it. Flying over terrain is fun for an hour of two, after that it turn into NMS.

Tl;Dr : Players travel long distance for the fun at the destination, not the travel time.

Hutton Orbital (and indeed E:D in general) also conveniently illustrates the other side of the coin: that vastness as spectacle only works if it exists in contrast to something more sensible. If it's all large, then largeness is the norm and has no added value.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
So are they planning lol, like they play anything on have survival mechanics at all times? Meaning that your space commando will constantly need to be fed and hydrated or else you'll die? Or is it only when you crash land on a planet or moon?

I can't wait to start my own Big Benny's franchise, delivering space noodles to stranded commandos.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I can't wait to respond to SOS signals by rolling up and blasting some helpless commando

That'll make their 5-10 minute wait worthwhile, I'm sure

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
B'tak seriously wants SC.exe to hunt and kill any other processes on the computer running at the same time, to prevent anyone from using Skype, Discord or god forbid IRC to gain an NON-INGAME advantage over him, something he fears so much he's gonna get a refund otherwise.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

darkarchon posted:

Since we have a weight something here:

Since I started a CICO based diet. Last post 8 days ago:

77.7kg total weight
30.69kg muscle (39.5%)
16.55kg fat (21.3%)
6.22kg visceral fat (8%)

Today's stats:

76.1kg total weight (-1.6kg) [BMI 25.1]
30.28kg muscle (39.8%) (-0.41kg)
15.44kg fat (20.3%) (-1.11kg)
5.3kg visceral fat (7%) (-0.92kg)

Still goal:
71kg total weight
30.69kg muscle (43.2%)
9.85kg fat (13.8%)
6.22kg visceral fat (8.7%)

Likeliness to achieve overall goals getting to that weight: unlikely. Lost more visceral fat than expected already. Lost some muscle. Lost some fat as well. All in all the goal is to get down to 10kg fat for me mostly now. In 8 days that's significant progress IMO. Visceral fat is also very approximate since my scale only gives me full percentages unlike the other measurements.

Edit: this is weight tax :colbert:

awesome.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Foo Diddley posted:

I can't wait to respond to SOS signals by rolling up and blasting some helpless commando

Seriously I don't know why signaling for rescue would be anything other than a dinner bell for a bunch of people to fight over your stuff after you get turned into a corpse.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

DapperDon posted:

My friend just died from this a day or so before last Christmas. He quite literally drank himself to death. In fact, the day we all staged and intervention and got him to agree to go to rehab, he had a bottle of vodka stashed in his bag and downed the whole thing in the back seat before we got him there. He died that night.

jc sad to here that.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Tippis posted:

Hey now, there are over one sextillion linear kilometres of space to explore. There might be AAA games with that, but show me a AAAA game with that much! :smuggo:

Nobody has ever had the intelligence or ambition to suggest a video game where you can do everything and be everything in a full scale universe. That's what we call vision. :shepface:

These things take time! Just a little more time! And a little more money! :shepspends:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Seriously I don't know why signaling for rescue would be anything other than a dinner bell for a bunch of people to fight over your stuff after you get turned into a corpse.

Well I'm sure Chris will figure something out just like he will for every half-assed game mechanic that blatantly and obviously won't loving work

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Thronde posted:

This shitpost brought to you by Brawndo. It's got electrolytes.

I cant I am coming off an antidepressant and poo poo I have gotten fat. stopped all junk food still getting fat.
I go from 0-rear end in a top hat in 1 second and rageholic in another. just messy. never felt so fat and bloated in my life. I could literally eat a bags of chips,gummies,double burgers,pizza and not
get fat. stop a poo poo drug. boom my belt buck expends faster then momas on thanksgiving.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

DapperDon posted:

And what are your opinions on a guy with genes that result in him drinking vodka until he dies?

Natural loving selection at work in real time right? :hellyeah:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
i'm thinking of buying a pc to play video games. what does everyone recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Nicholas posted:

i'm thinking of buying a pc to play video games. what does everyone recommend

I've been enjoying my Xbox1