Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Spiderdrake posted:

Also I got a CW Thundercracker. This mold seriously needs to be upgraded to a deluxe. What a joy.
Okay.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers...-photos-182354/

Really I think it's going to be more voyager-sized, but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Captain Blaargh posted:

That is exactly what happens. Even if they keep the same character all they have to do is make him one of those lightening tanks from the old Godzilla movies and, bang, toy. That I will army build. :getin:

Or more likely an Alpha Bravo repaint for an arbitrary DJD combiner.

Actually I would love that :v:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Robot Style posted:

Or more likely an Alpha Bravo repaint for an arbitrary DJD combiner.

Actually I would love that :v:

Decepticons are obsessed with combining. Leave two of them alone in a room and within 5 minutes one will be standing on the other's shoulders.

Fact.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

DoctorWhat posted:

Decepticons are obsessed with combining. Leave two of them alone in a room and within 5 minutes one will be standing on the other's shoulders.

Fact.

This... This is the canon reason for Pipe's death, isn't it?

Knormal posted:

Okay.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers...-photos-182354/

Really I think it's going to be more voyager-sized, but there you go.

Why...

Why would you take great legends figures, and then poo poo them up like that. Those look awful.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

These seem like newish molds, not upscaled from legends. Starscream himself is entirely different and they don't seem to have knee articulation. I'm not sure why ppl insist it's the legends seeker mold upscaled (unless they mean the first legends starscream, the one who was the old smaller legends size instead of the current scout-ish ones? It still seems different from that one tho)

They're some weird emerging market exclusives or something anyway, and aimed for younger kids.

edit: dunno how necessary this is but it seems neat:

Replacement hip ratchet gears for CW Optimus/Motormaster

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 30, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
My CW Megatrons came today. I didn't realize that the CW leader Class guys don't have numbers like the Thrilling 30 one.

CW Megatron looks like a proper megatron, he's not the bright green of the Original Classics one, he's not a tiny lovely deluxe tank like the Universe 2.0 one, nor is he a black plane or some weird tank that looks like a rock.

And now Generations has the entire first wave of the original G1 toys updates released within it.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Blackheart posted:

edit: dunno how necessary this is but it seems neat:

Replacement hip ratchet gears for CW Optimus/Motormaster

I ordered two sets so I'll see how they work. I know something a lot of people wishes they had was a half rachet point to straighten out the legs in combined mode.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Zaa Boogie posted:

I ordered two sets so I'll see how they work. I know something a lot of people wishes they had was a half rachet point to straighten out the legs in combined mode.

Let us know. It sounds like they're 3D printed, how strong can that stuff be?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Toys R Us is now charging 50 bucks for leader class toys. If these prices keep going up like this I may get out of the bot game.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Joe Fisto posted:

Toys R Us is now charging 50 bucks for leader class toys. If these prices keep going up like this I may get out of the bot game.
Just wait for sales. They charge $60 up here but then slash it to $30 to generate buzz. It'll probably end up like that in the US in a year.

Hell apparently you can get YOTH OP for $80 CDN atm

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
That's about what the TRU mark up is. They will price match though, so get an online ad from Wal-mart or something.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Okay, 30$ for the Leader Megatron (G1, not interested in the Armada one) is a great deal for me, no idea how it compares to other prices. Is it going to be a 'thing', or will I need to know in advance?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spiderdrake posted:

Hell apparently you can get YOTH OP for $80 CDN atm

Someone please do this for me, I will buy the hell out of it from you, I was never able to get one :(

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Serperoth posted:

Okay, 30$ for the Leader Megatron (G1, not interested in the Armada one) is a great deal for me, no idea how it compares to other prices. Is it going to be a 'thing', or will I need to know in advance?

Jetfire started popping up on Amazon for around $40 pretty soon after he hit retail. Just keep an eye out on Amazon and on this thread.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

If anyone missed it, that Play With This Too Kickstarter failed last night. No samey-lookin' numbers filed off Pretender shells and such.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

And nothing of value was lost.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
I hope Scaleface cried himself to sleep over it

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Seriously, how did that thing get to Kickstarter in the first place? That poo poo wasn't homages, it was flat out "these are non-transforming characters with exactly the same designs as Hasbro's", with similar names. gently caress, they were planning to flat out make non-transforming Seekers too. How do you not look at that and realize they should have their asses sued off? Third-parties are one thing, being based in places where copyright law is super lax, but this poo poo was another thing entirely.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You know... people just weren't interested in them. I barely cared. I would probably buy those figures for like $20 a pop, but for $60 or whatever they were asking, no thanks. I don't like pretenders THAT much. They were kinda neat, but were really kinda dangerously skirting copyright law and I could live without them.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Most Kickstarters I can talk myself out of by asking myself if I would buy those things at half the asking price in a store.

The answer is almost always no.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Kickstarter was also poorly laid out in terms of what you were getting and confusing to many first-time backers and considering toy kickstarters are still RELATIVELY new, it was a hard sell for a lot of people.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah from what I've read the thing was apparently just confusing as hell. Plus lol they got frenzyrumble to paint the first prototype, seriously?

I hope they learned from it and I wish them luck in whatever they try next.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know... people just weren't interested in them. I barely cared. I would probably buy those figures for like $20 a pop, but for $60 or whatever they were asking, no thanks. I don't like pretenders THAT much.

That's the whole thing in a nutshell right there.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

That's the whole thing in a nutshell right there.

That and most of them didn't even have pretender bots.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I might have been more sold if the pretender dudes actually went inside them instead of forming armor. I would have gladly sacrificed torso articulation for that. But again... that's dangerous legal territory.

They were kind of torn between making their own thing and making something to cater to transformers fans. They had a bunch of pretender homages... but also weird stuff like extra heads, and staves \ display stands to put the heads on... I'm pretty sure nobody actually cares about that stuff.

Money and space are at a premium. My apartment is filled with toys, and I have a bunch more stored at my parents' house. You have to be a little picky and just get what you really, really want or else you'll wind up in trouble. These PWTT guys were kinda neat. But kinda neat doesn't cut it when it comes down to justifying that amount of money and space, sadly.

Like a part of me wants that Fansproject Quickswitch because he looks cool, but a voice of reason speaks up in my head and asks "Do you really NEED this? Can you live without it?" We all need to listen to that voice more often.

Keldroc posted:

I've already written off the entirety of Cinema Discusso as an elaborate group troll. I have to believe something is real.

Keldroc posted:

And nothing of value was lost.

I'm finding myself agreeing with you a lot lately Keldroc, what am I turning into?! I'm... I'm... a monster.

I AM NOT AN ANIMAL! I AM A HUMAN BEEEEING!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm finding myself agreeing with you a lot lately Keldroc, what am I turning into?! I'm... I'm... a monster.

Good, gooood! Let the hate flow through you!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Blackheart posted:

These seem like newish molds, not upscaled from legends. Starscream himself is entirely different and they don't seem to have knee articulation. I'm not sure why ppl insist it's the legends seeker mold upscaled (unless they mean the first legends starscream, the one who was the old smaller legends size instead of the current scout-ish ones? It still seems different from that one tho)

They're some weird emerging market exclusives or something anyway, and aimed for younger kids.
Yeah they're not the exact molds upscaled, but the Prime and Starscream at least look to use the same transformation. I think they look better than the current batch of three-step changers or whatever they call those big simple molds, but that's probably mostly down to me not liking the movie/RiD look.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Transformers became too complicated once people started demanding show accuracy and articulation. These large simple toys are to get them back to their roots without them looking like rear end, because kids really can't transform things all that well even back in 1984.

That being said that Megatron is a very strong contender for a proper G2 Megatron repaint. Like Yeah that Universe 2.0 Legends guy was supposed to be G2 Megatron but they based the figure off of a miscolored comic panel. Then we have the Bludgeon retool which kind of worked and then kind of didn't.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 31, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Keldroc posted:

Good, gooood! Let the hate flow through you!

What is thy bidding... my master...?

edit: at least I'm not siding with taint reaper, if that ever happens, please kill me because I would be too far gone

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

That same voice is telling me not to complete the Toyworld Throttlebot combiner because holy poo poo I do not have $300 to spend on 3 figures right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Goon posted:

That same voice is telling me not to complete the Toyworld Throttlebot combiner because holy poo poo I do not have $300 to spend on 3 figures right now.

Grind Rod is selling for stupid prices now that the last three have been announced. I rolled the dice on the KOs in hope that the other three end up being KOed as well.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

edit: at least I'm not siding with taint reaper, if that ever happens, please kill me because I would be too far gone
You have sided with Taint Reaper. We all have. He's basically crazy wizard eyes mixed with "I hope they make a <pre-Japanese g1 character name goes here> in <size class goes here> so it can go on my <crazy OCD shelf title>". He's the personification of the desires of the G1 fandom. Wizard eyes included.

Eventually he's going to hit on something you want.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The failure of the Kickstarter shall be taken as vindication of my view that Pretenders were, are and always shall be loving Rubbish fully deserving of being consigned to the Bin Bag of History and forgotten. :colbert:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
The robots in the shells were decent figures, they usually had more articulation then other figures. Cloudburst even had knees.

And a TF series with pretenders would actually give a reason could actually give a reason for human interaction that doesn't include "gently caress, some child saw us, let's put them in continual danger while calling them a friend."

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sentinel Red posted:

The failure of the Kickstarter shall be taken as vindication of my view that Pretenders were, are and always shall be loving Rubbish fully deserving of being consigned to the Bin Bag of History and forgotten. :colbert:

A good % of the pretenders where made out of lovely plastic like Gold Plastic which crumbled with age. Gold Plastic isn't the only form of lovely plastic but stress marks were more common on prtetender shells than any other type of transformer. So yeah they were really garbage if you routinely played with them.

That being said the Leader Ultra Magnus figure is probably the best way to ever do a bot within a bot figure. The pretender references that classics have gotten already, Thunderwing, Black Shadow, and Skullgrin who have all discarded the pretender gimmick.

I still want a Blue Bacchus though just because leaving Black Shadow by himself does not seem right.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I went out of my way after work to go to TRU because I heard that the elusive leader Megatron was spotted there. I go there, see a box and... it's the Armada one. ...Oh. :(

And uh... I got him anyway.

He's neat. Although his fusion canon doesn't feel right. If I flip it to the side of his arm, it feels like it catches on stuff.

I feel like this figure would be overall a lot better if his canon was removable and could be mounted on various hardpoints. I can pose him so that it looks like the canon is firing from his hip, but I can't really connect it to his hip like the real Armada Megatron. If you took leader Megatron, put him in a G2 scheme and figured out how to shoulder mount his canon, he's be the definitive G2 Megatron. Even his transformation and shoulders kinda resemble G2 Megs.

I hope that down the line if they do actually make a G2 version of this, they remold him so I can put his canon in the right spot.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

That being said the Leader Ultra Magnus figure is probably the best way to ever do a bot within a bot figure.

MP Star Saber does bot in bot even more amazing. Brain into Saber is a work of art.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Lot of doppelgängers/diary readers up in this thread I guess.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 31, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Lot of doppelgängers/diary readers up in this thread I guess.

I haven't been reading any diaries so I must be a doppelgänger.

Also, you know how IDW has RiD Megatron as a separate character, Gigatron? They should do this with other Megatrons, as over the years, he's had some vastly different designs that barely even resemble each other. G2 Megatron actually WAS a separate character in Beast Wars Second - Megastorm. The Armada and Cybertron Megatrons also had very visually distinct designs. Decatron, Kilotron, Terratron, Petatron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
You forgot Megaplex