Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Reading the Knife of Dreams prologue. Did the empress and the family get killed in a previous book or is this the first we’re hearing about it? Also when did Galad found about Valda abusing Morgase? Or for that matter about children teaming up with Seanchan?

I admit I either skimmed or read summaries of CoT chapters and some of WH so might have missed something.

Also drat does this book start off with a bang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

theblackw0lf posted:

Reading the Knife of Dreams prologue. Did the empress and the family get killed in a previous book or is this the first we’re hearing about it? Also when did Galad found about Valda abusing Morgase? Or for that matter about children teaming up with Seanchan?

I admit I either skimmed or read summaries of CoT chapters and some of WH so might have missed something.

Also drat does this book start off with a bang.

First you're hearing about it. Fuckin Semirhage, I swear.

Galad stuff is mentioned in that bit, he's like "heard rumors, got the full truth out of Dain while he was drunk" or something like that? Don't remember the details on that last one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I can't remember where Galad got the idea that Valda killed Morgase.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Both of these are kindof true but there's also a scene where Moiraine convinces Thom to stay and teach Rand, too. There's layers.

It’s the opposite: when she noticed Thom teaching Rand she convinces Thom to leave and follow Elayne specifically because he’s getting too close to Rand and she doesn’t want him tied to anyone but her.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Both Cadsuana and Moraine follow the Aes Sedai way of loving with peoples live and it hilariously backfires on both of them

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It’s the opposite: when she noticed Thom teaching Rand she convinces Thom to leave and follow Elayne specifically because he’s getting too close to Rand and she doesn’t want him tied to anyone but her.

d'oh!

that's right, you got me on that one

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
reading winter's heart atm, cadsuane is a real piece of poo poo lol. the portrayal of the atha'an miere is pretty 😬 too.

Hexel posted:

It's kinda wild to see congressmen tweet about the show

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1476299388892811266

i think he's a fail twitter personality more than he is a politician, so it's not that surprising.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hexel posted:

It's kinda wild to see congressmen tweet about the show

Paul Krugman tweeted about the books when the final novel came out

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I really do wonder what Cadsuane's plan for teaching Rand laughter and tears was. I feel like "drive him to the Dark One so that he can have an epiphany" was probably not the original idea. Dude was totally nuts and needed a therapist, not a bully.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

bio347 posted:

I really do wonder what Cadsuane's plan for teaching Rand laughter and tears was. I feel like "drive him to the Dark One so that he can have an epiphany" was probably not the original idea. Dude was totally nuts and needed a therapist, not a bully.

Tam.

That scene was harrowing as all hell.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I think Cadsuane is probably my most hated character in the entire series. She's just the god drat worst.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
I’m reading through it for the first time and I’m loving loving Cadsuane. She’s calling everyone out on their bullshit and it’s great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I've done it. I've read all of the Wheel of Time now. Just finished New Spring! drat it was really good. Its really too bad that it didn't take off like Jordan thought it would and he didn't plan any other novellas. It was really loving good!

Stuff I liked:

Siuan and Moraine being confirmed pillow friends that made me happy and kind of sheds light on their relationship in the books

Lan facing down 6 men and killing them all and everyone like " 6 men". That was a bad rear end scene.

Lan and Moraines first interactions was loving perfect.

Everything with Lan was great. I thought the story was headed somewhere else where he would be bonded to Moraine to avoid marriage but the story swerved that way.

It really added more depth to the overall beginning story with the Black Ajah and Darkfriends etc.. I really liked how it fleshed out some of the motivations ofthe dark friends where for the past decade or so they'd been killing off men who they thought could be the Dragon Reborn.

I liked also how it explained the Aes Sedai power structure and the deferment

Anyway it was really loving good.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 30, 2021

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Hollismason posted:

Its really too bad that it didn't take off like Jordan thought it would and he didn't plan any other novellas.
Jordan had plans to write some additional outrigger novels, at least one about Tuon and Mat after the Last Battle.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's kinda the thing of it, I want to know if they had these kind of conversations because as I said earlier, making some changes for the different medium and limited time/budget sits fine with me. Making the Eye a ruined location and not the magical traveling grove of trees and a Nym makes sense to me and ultimately doesn't change the overall course of the story. But making a change like they did with shielding/whatever to Moiraine has weird implications for the story down the road, and I want to know what kind of conversations went on in justifying them. Of course if they can deliver on what they're doing all is forgiven.

They have someone (Sarah Nakamura: https://wot-prime.fandom.com/wiki/Sarah_Nakamura) whose entire job is to determine what the consequences of their changes are, so they’re certainly discussing them.

Rafe’s AMA posted:

I have Sarah Nakamura (our incredible WoT goddess) talk me through the long-term ramifications of any changes so that we know what's going to happen. Sometimes to drive her crazy I will send a casual email that's just like -- "Hey, can you work up a long-term ramifications list for if we kill Thom?". And just keep going like it's a totally normal day as she collapses as a human being. Then tell her we're not going to kill him. I think it helps keep her on her toes, but she probably disagrees, haha.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

bio347 posted:

I think that she badly and fundamentally misjudged Rand at the start. Even Rand's oldest friends thought he was getting arrogant and full of himself, so it isn't a stretch that Cadsuane might think the same thing. So she was trying to teach him to laugh again by pulling a "remember that thou art mortal" thing. Unfortunately for her, that wasn't Rand's problem at all, and she just made things worse.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Enjoying the show is loving exhausting.

Came in to the first four episodes having not touched a WoT book in 7 years, immediately feeling like, "this is better than the books." Episodes 5-6, still fantastic, did nothing to change my mind. 7, rough edges. 8, same issues as 7 but worse and with seemingly less time to polish the script. Whatever, there's clear production issues (covid, no Mat) that resulted in it. It's a hard note to end a season on, but inconsistency is nothing if not true to the Wheel of Time as a whole. All in all, not a big deal, and signs point to issues being mostly resolved due to bigger budget and fewer restrictions for the filming of seasons 2 and onwards. Plus, critical reception still seemed mostly positive.

Yet basically everywhere you go where there's some kind of fan presence for it, you've always got an element that aren't so much critical of the show as dedicated to making GBS threads on it at every opportunity, completely dismissing the validity of anyone else's enjoyment and anyone else's enthusiasm. It's not even about the problems with the last two episodes -- it's about them being changed from the original story at all. As if this wasn't the Wheel of loving Time, possibly the story most in need of cuts and general streamlining in the history of the fantasy genre.

And it loving sucks because this is the first time I've felt anything more than indifference to a TV show in like three decades. actually no, this is a lie, I felt quite a lot of schadenfreude for Game of Thrones

Was the fandom for the books always this godawful?

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 30, 2021

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Mazed posted:

All fandom for everything has always been this godawful, yeah.

ed: I mean, some fandoms will be better or worse, but there are always, always the equivalent of "Little white cuck-ball" people somewhere, and the people who just will not chill about how the adaptation skipped over the lame beggar-boy mentioned in a casual aside on page 507 in book 7, and my god this proves that somethingsomethingsomething.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 30, 2021

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I wonder if they can get Imelda Staunton to be Cadsuane?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rythian posted:

I think Cadsuane is probably my most hated character in the entire series. She's just the god drat worst.

Cadsuane's is like a second Nyneave. She's got parts to not like about her but people seldom hate her for the right reasons.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mazed posted:

Yet basically everywhere you go where there's some kind of fan presence for it, you've always got an element that aren't so much critical of the show as dedicated to making GBS threads on it at every opportunity, completely dismissing the validity of anyone else's enjoyment and anyone else's enthusiasm. It's not even about the problems with the last two episodes -- it's about them being changed from the original story at all. As if this wasn't the Wheel of loving Time, possibly the story most in need of cuts and general streamlining in the history of the fantasy genre.

Yeah and also for most fantasy and a lot of scifi.

It tends to be a haven for the worst sort of angry young men who all want to be The Dragon Reborn and want to miss all the things that make Rand not be an aspirational figure. It's the people who never grew beyond the power fantasies of shonen mangas.

And it doesn't help that for a long time a lot of the fantasy that has been published has been by a fairly small sampling of human diversity.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Cadsuane is a character who's obnoxious in the books that I am thrilled with the prospect of seeing an actual actor put their spin on.

Same goes for Faile, really.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Gnoman posted:

I think that she badly and fundamentally misjudged Rand at the start. Even Rand's oldest friends thought he was getting arrogant and full of himself, so it isn't a stretch that Cadsuane might think the same thing. So she was trying to teach him to laugh again by pulling a "remember that thou art mortal" thing. Unfortunately for her, that wasn't Rand's problem at all, and she just made things worse.
That... makes a ton of sense. It's very hard to shake Rand's PoV trap, so she just looks dumb most of the time.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Anias posted:

I wonder if they can get Imelda Staunton to be Cadsuane?

Shohreh Agdashloo got roped into a Twitter conversation with Rafe because of fan involvement fan-casting her as Cadsuane and he actually said he had a specific role he always had her in mind for. No word if it was Cadsuane, the other popular suggestion was Sorilea

Cadsuane I think was Jordan overcompensating for her general competence by misreading Rand, but it just makes her look like a dumb bully to someone who's barely holding on already :smith:

Her trick with the mirror in her knitting basket is such a great character moment and I hope the show finds a way to fix her if she shows up. It has been suggested that she's older and meaner Moiraine and so could be removed, but I think you'd lose something valuable by having a second rational voice in the Aes Sedai trying to help Rand and being at loggerheads

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Been checking out the no book spoiler thread and the fact people still don't know what the hell the Eye of The World is just shows how badly that last episode was done.

At least we got an episode devoted to Stepin.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Shageletic posted:

Been checking out the no book spoiler thread and the fact people still don't know what the hell the Eye of The World is just shows how badly that last episode was done.

whether a tv show is good can be determined by how well a show watcher can do on a geography quiz at the end of the season

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Shageletic posted:

I don't think they knew they were going to be hosed as hard as they were by the pandemic when they wrote and filmed the Stepin episodes. They pretty much had to fly by the seat of their pants on those last two episodes and it seems like they also were rushed for time and/or didn't have access to some of the locations and extras and Trolloc stuntmen that they had in previous episodes.

Anyway, the Stepin plot did a good job of showing the Aes Sedai and Warder bond. Most upsetting thing about that plot was that we didn't get Stepin for longer.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 30, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Well I've done it. I've read all of the Wheel of Time now.
Anyway it was really loving good.

:toot:

Congrats!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Hate to tell you, but "WTF even was the Eye of The World?" was a common reaction among book readers after reading it, too.

Hell, even Moirainne is like "WTF was that even there for? Who tf knows? Not me, and I doubt anyone ever will" before staring straight at the reader.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

look, when you a bunch of half mad aes sedai and a bunch of lady aes sedai, somtimes they come together and make a pool of untainted saidin for reasons

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

SerSpook posted:

look, when you a bunch of half mad aes sedai and a bunch of lady aes sedai, somtimes they come together and make a pool of untainted saidin for reasons

reasons being prophecy

which *they* barely understood

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

pixelbaron posted:

I don't think they knew they were going to be hosed as hard as they were by the pandemic when they wrote and filmed the Stepin episodes. They pretty much had to fly by the seat of their pants on those last two episodes and it seems like they also were rushed for time and/or didn't have access to some of the locations and extras and Trolloc stuntmen that they had in previous episodes.

Yeah. IIRC the Blight was actually going to be shot on location in a jungle, but covid prevented travel so they had to do those weird CGI tree things. They also lost access to most of their real-deal Trollocs they used in the first episodes for the same reason. And losing Barney Harris meant that they had to change up the dagger plotline, and I suspect that's why Loial got shanked.

Edit: Yeah, the Eye of the World being a physical pool of purified saidin was exceedingly dumb.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

About halfway through The Shadow Rising and I'm finding I like Faile a lot more than I remember. Maybe I'm remembering her from later books and she changes a lot then?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

About halfway through The Shadow Rising and I'm finding I like Faile a lot more than I remember. Maybe I'm remembering her from later books and she changes a lot then?

Possibly you dislike the plots she's in more than the character herself, and had associated the two a bit more strongly than needed.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Faile suffers from being most prominent in the middle books where plotlines drag out (and the time between books was getting longer). She suffers more from being seen mostly through Perrin's eyes and his general cluelessness. She suffers most of all if you don't understand how Perrin's behavior looks to somebody that doesn't have a clue about what his enhanced senses let him notice.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Yeah Faile is fine. Cadsuane is fine. The only book character I remember hating before stumbling into the online fandom a decade ago was Elayne.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

We had maybe 2 minutes devoted to Stepin. Every other minute he's on screen, a more important character is also in the scene reacting to Stepin.

MegaZeroX posted:

Yeah Faile is fine. Cadsuane is fine. The only book character I remember hating before stumbling into the online fandom a decade ago was Elayne.

Faile is a character who fits "They only hit you because they love you" thing.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

How do you all forget Gawyn is the most hated character? We have multiple pages of rightfully making GBS threads on him constantly. There’s never anyone who stands up for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

How do you all forget Gawyn is the most hated character? We have multiple pages of rightfully making GBS threads on him constantly. There’s never anyone who stands up for him.

He's such a good example of how toxic masculinity can lead to godawful decisions and character flaws.

Never redeemed.