Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

The thing that bothered me about the Hillbots was that they were unable to deal with even substantive or mild criticisms of Hillary, you would instantly be branded as Trump supporter or a Bernout moron even if you made it very clear that you were still voting for her. That's dumb and unproductive regardless of the candidate, I supported Bernie but that doesn't mean I'm unable to discuss his flaws as a candidate.

Y'all need to stop getting so emotionally invested into politicians.

People defended Hillary out of desperation. If you talk poo poo about Hillary too much, you'll turn more people into the 4chan hivemind that only Trump can save this country with all its Pepes and Maymays.
And since third party is not an option and the hardcore republican core cannot be toppled, every vote that was not Hillary was a vote for Trump.

And now the same people blame literally everyone but Hillary herself on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

“And as for carbon dioxide, it isn’t smog or smoke, it’s what we breathe out and plants breathe in. They call it pollution. We call it life.”

God loving drat it

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Hillary struggled in the Rust Belt like everyone predicted she would? Obviously those voters must have gotten more racist since 2012. Furthermore,

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That small logo looks like it says "tromp".

Was Chuck Tingle right? :tinfoil:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Yudo posted:

That's a good idea (the donation thing); I commend whomever put that together.

Yeah the mods and admin of C-SPAM continue to do a great job.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

100 degrees Calcium posted:

it's almost like political climates change. Neoliberalism can't win forever; eventually people figure out they're being served a tepid shitburger.

And they get hungry for a steaming one instead, apparently

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Smythe posted:

Look at you pathetic, simpering weaklings. The DNC has ruthlessly bent you over and rammed a howitzer up your keister and you still spout the same tepid "truth is in the middle" "lets take a step back and examine" garbage that has saddled this great nation with Donald Trump and the unbelievable damage he will surely deal to the republic we have worked so hard to build.

no this is objectively one of the worst things to happen to civilization as a whole in my lifetime, but it's not because of any one thing

there are multiple points at which any number of people could have done something differently, and all us should examine that poo poo carefully and call out the errors that maybe they can not be repeated

but pointing to any one person or group and saying it's you, you did this is just scapegoating

"you could have prevented this" isnt the same thing as "you did this" and we'll just eat ourselves if we dont try to address this whole clusterfuck more in the former style than the latter

blame, dogmatic ideological purity, and purging/punishing dissent are what built this rural white monster—we can and should have an ongoing conversation about the acceptable limits of our compromises and how to prevent/recover from mistakes, but just pushing the sliders all the way to the top of the scale isnt going to help

third wayism is and always has been imo trash, but im still happy to work w someone who doesnt align completely w my politics in order to advance a common goal. hillary is nowhere near as far left progressive as i am but i was happy to vote for her in the general because she would have pushed the nation as a whole in a generally progressive direction, and every step to the left is a victory

and we can fight the immediate bullshit while also more carefully examining things, and its kind of critical to do both

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
think we all need to have a bit of a yell tbh

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Is Trump going to be better or worse than Dubya administration

I feel like it's going to be worse because the GOP has just gotten exponentially more crazy since 2008 and also Mad Kind Donald is on the throne

we will look at those "heh miss me yet? :smug:" Bush pics and be like "yes relative to the current administration I do"

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Smythe posted:

Look at you pathetic, simpering weaklings. The DNC has ruthlessly bent you over and rammed a howitzer up your keister and you still spout the same tepid "truth is in the middle" "lets take a step back and examine" garbage that has saddled this great nation with Donald Trump and the unbelievable damage he will surely deal to the republic we have worked so hard to build.

I voted for Bernie and wanted him to win but I still doubt he peels off enough rural white voters to change what just happened. I could be wrong but there's no way to know.

The DNC needs to be flushed, but that was the case whether or not Bernie won.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I love the narrative that racism and bigotry were the motivating factors of voters. It's so hilariously blind lol

i like how clinton did worse than obama with groups of people who are being labeled as blind racists yet obama is a black dude named 'barack hussein obama' and got elected twice

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

There are some Hillary toxxers I respect, but I hope one of the conditions of the pity-out is that Hillary toxxers (or at least permatoxxers) are exiled from CSPAM and DnD

I never perma'd because at the end of the day you have to remember this is America and we are very, very dumb here.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Can we all agree that Florida is a terrible state for terrible people?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This feels apocalyptic but at the same time I always felt like HRC would've been a one-term president and the inevitable recession might ruin Fat Don's re-election bid.

At the same time I don't trust the Dems to do anything except hemorrhage more seats in 2018 and put up a lovely candidate who gets wrecked in 2020.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

What's going on with Rustbelt Dems is something that needs to be watched really closely. It'll tell us a lot about how the next couple years are going to go imo.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

ur the best

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

LawfulWaffle posted:

The election just proved what we already knew but didn't want to admit. America is a land of poorly educated racists with traditional family values that include light misogyny who will vote for whoever makes the shiniest promises. We will reap what we've sown and have happily voted to throw away any progress made over the last decade. A man with a rap sheet littered with indecencies, deceptions, international gaffs and failed businesses won the hearts of enough voters to get 270 electoral votes with the continuous if ill-defined assurance that he would make America great again despite demonstrably not making anything great ever.

People say that in 4 years there will be another election and things can change, but things have already changed. A bully berated and insulted fellow candidates during the primary, pushed around a whole political party while half-hearted attempts to groom him for debates were abandoned, and lied every time a mic was put in front of him, and we put that man in the highest office of power in the nation. If you think the yes-men that have attached their suction cups to Trump in hopes of getting a cabinet spot will be able to rein in the man who did things his way and won, you're wrong. If he wants to causally insult South Korea or Japan or Haiti with an unscripted joke during a presser, he will and we'll just have to deal with the fallout. If he wants to make a deal involving additional military trainers to some country in exchange for tax exempt land for a new golf course, who's going to stop him? Government agencies? Other politicians? He's proven that those are obstacles for other people, not him. Every time he gives a speech it will include attacks on Democrats, he will fill the Supreme Court with people he likes or who have told him that they would be a good Supreme Justice and looked trustworthy, and in four years he'll win by an even bigger margin than before because who wants loser Dems in the White House.

America has lost my respect, what little of it remained. It was a neat experiment but I can only hope the next country learns a lesson from us.

Sir this is a drivethru

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Regarding a Trump admin's drug policy:

Rudy911 as mayor and Mike Pence as governor had the exact same philosophy.

Both consider drug use as a moral failing to be answered with punishment. They don't do cost/benefit analysis for how to approach a social issue. Mike Pence has a hepC and HIV outbreak in his state right now due to drugs, and he doesnt' consider it the governments job to intervene or mitigate it. No education, no clean needle programs. Rudy took the same approach in NYC. The fact that programs would ultimately save taxpayer money (and lives) didn't even factor in.

I don't see any hope for a mindset other than kicking up the War on Drugs another notch.
I'd imagine the states rights approach to marijuana will go out the window, and that Trump's heroin epidemic solution will be 'let them die.'

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like it's going to be worse because the GOP has just gotten exponentially more crazy since 2008 and also Mad Kind Donald is on the throne

we will look at those "heh miss me yet? :smug:" Bush pics and be like "yes relative to the current administration I do"
Worse. Bush isn't anywhere near as crazy, and he thought Saddam was the anti-christ.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Schnorkles posted:

WITH A REBEL YELL THEY CRIED M.O.E. M.O.E. M.O.E.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's too early to call, it really is. Conventional wisdom says worse, but Trump's views change on a whim.

Squizzle posted:

no this is objectively one of the worst things to happen to civilization as a whole in my lifetime, but it's not because of any one thing

there are multiple points at which any number of people could have done something differently, and all us should examine that poo poo carefully and call out the errors that maybe they can not be repeated

but pointing to any one person or group and saying it's you, you did this is just scapegoating

"you could have prevented this" isnt the same thing as "you did this" and we'll just eat ourselves if we dont try to address this whole clusterfuck more in the former style than the latter

blame, dogmatic ideological purity, and purging/punishing dissent are what built this rural white monster—we can and should have an ongoing conversation about the acceptable limits of our compromises and how to prevent/recover from mistakes, but just pushing the sliders all the way to the top of the scale isnt going to help

third wayism is and always has been imo trash, but im still happy to work w someone who doesnt align completely w my politics in order to advance a common goal. hillary is nowhere near as far left progressive as i am but i was happy to vote for her in the general because she would have pushed the nation as a whole in a generally progressive direction, and every step to the left is a victory

and we can fight the immediate bullshit while also more carefully examining things, and its kind of critical to do both

This.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

The thing that bothered me about the Hillbots was that they were unable to deal with even substantive or mild criticisms of Hillary, you would instantly be branded as Trump supporter or a Bernout moron even if you made it very clear that you were still voting for her. That's dumb and unproductive regardless of the candidate, I supported Bernie but that doesn't mean I'm unable to discuss his flaws as a candidate.

Y'all need to stop getting so emotionally invested into politicians.

Hell, I'm more-or-less in the Hillbot camp (though I feel ripped off that I did not get any cool metal parts and an undying need to assimilate the masses in the bargain) and this bugged me, too. I liked (and still like) Hillary, but I didn't (and don't) like everything about her.

I am unconvinced that anyone else could have done better (if only, again, because all the people who 'could have beaten Trump' were campaigning against him right alongside Hillary and, well, they didn't beat Trump) but I don't think there's any possible position to take except that the Democratic Party (and everyone else) seriously misread the room. This isn't on third-party candidates (though gently caress Jill Stein and Gary Johnson on general principles), it's on people, myself included, assuming that Trump's unsuitability for a position of power was self-evident to enough people, regardless of their ideology.

Like, how the gently caress is this the election that no one turned up to vote in? We all of us knew what was at stake.

Also it's super-awesome that a lot of people are a lot more okay with racism, sexism, and classism (class is an identity; all politics is identity politics) and such than most of us would care to admit. Like, sure, we're not racists, but someone else being a racist is fine as long as we get a president with an R after his name. Oh, we don't hate poor people but gently caress those imaginary poor people who we've decided are solely responsible for Trump's election. Oh, we don't want anyone to get loving murdered for who they are or who they love but identity politics is the real problem.

The one takeaway I keep coming back to is that fighting against all forms of injustice in whatever way you can just became more important, not less. And I don't think that national, or even local, politics are the place to do that now. I think being good to the people we encounter from day to day, taking small actions to make the world a better place even for a moment is the most revolutionary act there is, even in a post-Trump world. Maybe that's not where it ends but it's where it starts. We may feel powerless, but we are not.

Or, you know, listen to CHVRCHES on repeat for four years and pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist and go mad because they only have two albums and even good technopop all kind of starts to sound the same after a while. I guess that works too.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

During the primaries, every poll showed Bernie doing much better against Trump than Clinton.
https://theintercept.com/2016/02/24/with-trump-looming-should-dems-take-a-huge-electability-gamble-by-nominating-hillary-clinton/
Ignore that, the pundits said. It doesn't mean anything.

Hillary had historically high unfavorables, matched only by Donald Trump. But she's more electable, because she's pragmatic, they said. Some people say Comey cost her the election, but Hillary Clinton was under investigation by the FBI at the time we nominated her!!! We nominated her anyway because it was all a big nothingburger, right?

Except it wasn't at all, because it pointed back to the same characteristics that defined her in the eyes of so many voters: corrupt, above-the-law, elitist.

In an election fueled by populist rage, we saw fit to nominate a candidate promising to continue the status quo, a candidate who was caping for the ACA and attacking single payer. In reply to the nativist wave Trump was riding, we nominated someone uniquely attached to free trade deals many blame for shutting down factories and leaving them out of work.

With Trump talking about draining the swamp, cleaning up the typical DC corruption, we selected a candidate who earned hundreds of thousands giving speeches at financial firms and big corporations, whose Foundation took millions from Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

The moment Sanders conceded, the cry of his stump speech, that the top 1% of 1% have more wealth than the other 90% combined, faded, replaced by scaremongering over Russia. https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/794537769137831936

Ultimately, there was a 16% swing among some of the poorest Americans, and, well, Democratic turnout was down. Trump got fewer votes than Romney and McCain, but still won.
https://twitter.com/bengoldacre/status/796356106952048644

The lesson we'll probably draw from this is that the next Democratic challenger should be Cory Booker, lol. And hell, he'll probably win

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Shark Sandwich posted:

This feels apocalyptic but at the same time I always felt like HRC would've been a one-term president and the inevitable recession might ruin Fat Don's re-election bid.

At the same time I don't trust the Dems to do anything except hemorrhage more seats in 2018 and put up a lovely candidate who gets wrecked.

supporting HRC, at least for me, was always about the supreme court if we could get to 50 seats in the senate.

because my god was 2018 going to be a legislative annihilation

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Covok posted:

Nah, I'm putting this on PA now. Garbage rear end state.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

i seriously dont understand how she is the wife of Bill Clinton, whose finest moment in politics is owning Bush Sr. in this exchange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ffbFvKlWqE

absolutely devastating. how far we've fallen :/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Covok posted:

Agreed.

Bethamphetamine posted:

Regarding a Trump admin's drug policy:

Rudy911 as mayor and Mike Pence as governor had the exact same philosophy.

Both consider drug use as a moral failing to be answered with punishment. They don't do cost/benefit analysis for how to approach a social issue. Mike Pence has a hepC and HIV outbreak in his state right now due to drugs, and he doesnt' consider it the governments job to intervene or mitigate it. No education, no clean needle programs. Rudy took the same approach in NYC. The fact that programs would ultimately save taxpayer money (and lives) didn't even factor in.

I don't see any hope for a mindset other than kicking up the War on Drugs another notch.
I'd imagine the states rights approach to marijuana will go out the window, and that Trump's heroin epidemic solution will be 'let them die.'

Yeah, pretty much they're going to go "Oh, your state law says weed is legal? Sorry, federal law trumps :haw: it~."

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Blitz7x posted:

After seeing how my sister treats her single friends before getting engaged and afterwards I can completely see why white women went hard in the paint for president elect Trump

this is the time to really own women

really rub it in that they are stupid bitches

that's the lesson here

:sad: but true

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

2008: a neoliberal democrat wins the presidency
2012: a neoliberal democrat wins the presidency
2016: heh stupid democrats don't you know a neoliberal democrat can't win???

2008: a campaign about change wins the presidency
2012: a campaign about change wins the presidency
2016 dems: let's run our establishment candidate against the campaign about change

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Covok posted:

looks like Ohio is significantly worse by my calculations

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Schnorkles posted:

Yeah but we don't need a dissertation when "gently caress THIS GHEY COUNTRY!!1!" suffices.

There, you see? That's my meltdown. It was a nice one, and punctual too.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
kinda poetic that Third Wayism dies with a Clinton

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This. This is some serious bullshit. I don't care how little you think of Hillary Clinton as a candidate, how the gently caress did we let this happen?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

i like how clinton did worse than obama with groups of people who are being labeled as blind racists yet obama is a black dude named 'barack hussein obama' and got elected twice

yeah we need to be loving honest about what happened here and it's not all about race.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LmaoTheKid posted:

Nah, I'm putting this on PA now. Garbage rear end state.
Also gently caress Wisconsin.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
2016 Democratic Autopsy: Be more racist?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

CalvinCoolidge posted:

Here me out, what if the DNC didn't rig the primaries and cheat for Hillary? I don't think the optics are good for crooked cheaters. Seems like the blame rests solely on the Democratic establishment.

No, you see, blame doesn't work that way

Blame is shared. You don't get to peg it on THIS ONE MOTHERFUCKER and chalk it up to them as the reason things went wrong and nothing YOU did needs to change. Yeah, the DNC shouldn't have tried to cheat. Bernie shouldn't have run such a lovely campaign. I voted for Bernie, I contributed to Bernie, but when election day came and Bernie wasn't the candidate (mostly because he lost a bunch of states he never actually bothered campaigning in) I cast my vote for the viable candidate least likely to gently caress me over and along the way I did what I could to see that person get elected. That's how loving politics works. You don't throw a temper tantrum because you didn't get your way. And, btw, NO AMOUNT OF CHEATING ON THE PART OF THE DNC CHANGES THE FACT THAT BERNIE RAN A lovely CAMPAIGN IN THE PRIMARIES

loving lol, the dude just decided he wasn't going to campaign at all in like 15-20 states in the goddamn primaries, like he was running in the general and he only had to worry about EVs.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

resar posted:

kinda poetic that Third Wayism dies with a Clinton

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
slay queen, yaaas, *dumb gif*, drumph, abulea, etc etc etc

wake me up inside (can't wake up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Covok posted:

Sure as long as we agree that Hillary Clinton was a terrible candidate who ran a terrible campaign

• Locked thread