Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Which character are you sending off on their own during the Kamoshida fight? If it’s Ann, she gets spotted everytime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Scrap Dragon posted:

Which character are you sending off on their own during the Kamoshida fight? If it’s Ann, she gets spotted everytime

I've tried Morgana and Ryuji and gotten both to climb up the pillar but thats when I get stuck because I have to heal and guard against that super attack that charges. Am I supposed to send one attack when he charges up to spike even if it means that character will die?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cardboard Fox posted:

This game is incredible and I'm almost at the end. I just have 2 questions:

Is there a reason Atlus never goes for full voice acting in the Persona games? P5 is like half VA and half text. Is this a budget issue or a design choice?

Do Japanese students seriously have to go to school on Saturday?

They actually phased out the 6-day school week in the 90's but Persona games still have it for some reason

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I've tried Morgana and Ryuji and gotten both to climb up the pillar but thats when I get stuck because I have to heal and guard against that super attack that charges. Am I supposed to send one attack when he charges up to spike even if it means that character will die?

I’m new to the series too. I just finished the dungeon a few days ago at level 10. All I did was send Morgana out and attack the cup, then him. Obviously guard when he charges up, but It was pretty straightforward.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Does Ann have Tarunda yet? It helps a lot to blunt his incoming damage.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'm at the Space McDonalds level and it's eating up all my SP and killing my party by inches. I'm bad at videogames and resource management, are there any recommended items to buy to make it through and steal Ronald McDonald's heart?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You want to hang out with Tae, she eventually starts selling SP Regeneration accessories.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Its mainly I cant keep his attention when its just 3 party members while one climbs the pillar, he notices on the 2nd stage of their climb no matter what damage I do. I grudgingly looked up a guide (Im trying to play pretty blind) and it said you just have to hit him once a round, but even hitting him twice per round wasn't enough as he would notice the person and they would run back to the party. I do have buffs and debuffs but only Joker has them, they are totally the only reason I have made it as far on Kamoshida as I have so I'm glad I am using them properly.

I will try to outright kill some more creatures before letting them surrender, but I guess theres nothing you can do if you knock them all down and they just give up?
If you get a Hold Up (after hitting a weak point on every enemy), you can do an All Out Attack instead of shaking them down for money/items/recruitment. All Out Attack will finish them off and you'll get maximum XP.

As for Kamoshida, I sent Ryuji up but I don't remember having any problems. I'm playing on Normal though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is there a reason Atlus never goes for full voice acting in the Persona games? P5 is like half VA and half text. Is this a budget issue or a design choice?

I'm guessing if the VA'd every line of dialogue in the game there wouldn't be room on the disc for any game.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Terper posted:

You want to hang out with Tae, she eventually starts selling SP Regeneration accessories.

Also goth doctor has good style.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Goth doctor is my girlfriend, please do not take advantage of her

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Ometeotl posted:

Goth doctor is my girlfriend, please do not take advantage of her

This guy has good taste.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I tried to hit on goth doctor but when she was like 'wanna gently caress?' the options were 'Yes' and 'do you?' or words to that effect. I picked the second one because it didn't sound like a flat 'nah' at all but apparently it locked me out. Oh well.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just got to the bit early-ish where you can go explore the Memento dungeon whenever for requests. Is that going to be more of an optional thing or will I basically be doing that between the main dungeons?

I quite liked how P4G had long stretches between dungeons where you could just chill out with the crew in the schoolyard, finding trouble but never lookin' too hard. I don't want to feel obligated to spend every other day in the samey mega-dungeon during the downtime.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I tried to hit on goth doctor but when she was like 'wanna gently caress?' the options were 'Yes' and 'do you?' or words to that effect. I picked the second one because it didn't sound like a flat 'nah' at all but apparently it locked me out. Oh well.

Honestly, you fully deserve it if you're not blasting the X button on Yes as soon as the option appears there.

Steve2911 posted:

Just got to the bit early-ish where you can go explore the Memento dungeon whenever for requests. Is that going to be more of an optional thing or will I basically be doing that between the main dungeons?

I quite liked how P4G had long stretches between dungeons where you could just chill out with the crew in the schoolyard, finding trouble but never lookin' too hard. I don't want to feel obligated to spend every other day in the samey mega-dungeon during the downtime.

Mementos is eventually mandatory but not until the very end of the game. You certainly shouldn't do it every other day, maybe once per two story dungeons at most. And you should mute the game and play good music while doing it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

The ideal way to do Mementos is do gather up requests (as in at least 4 or so) and do a long haul trip to do them all about once a month. So yeah treat it is an occasional chore that you want to do to both give your party a bit of a boost and to help advance certain social links.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Mementos is eventually mandatory but not until the very end of the game. You certainly shouldn't do it every other day, maybe once per two story dungeons at most. And you should mute the game and play good music while doing it.

But then you will miss out on the memento dialogue.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's all subtitled so nah.
Avoiding the DOO DOO DOO. DOOO DOO DOO. DOO DOO DOO. is way more important than listening to a handful of quotes over and over.

I'm pretty sure you can't mute the music only through the game options anyway. If you can, do that.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Honestly, you fully deserve it if you're not blasting the X button on Yes as soon as the option appears there.

Yeah it's just a bit of a shame because I'm doing NG+ and was wanting to do a full scumbag 'sex all the ladies and have it blow up in my stupid face' run

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cavelcade posted:

This guy has good taste.

:yeah:

Hunt11 posted:

The ideal way to do Mementos is do gather up requests (as in at least 4 or so) and do a long haul trip to do them all about once a month. So yeah treat it is an occasional chore that you want to do to both give your party a bit of a boost and to help advance certain social links.

But then you will miss out on the memento dialogue.

I don't think I ever got four requests at a time. Most I think I got was maybe three, but that might have been because I was worried about trying to balance it between the main dungeons and improving the Confidant ranks.

The Mementos dialog is great, but I wish it didn't get interrupted so easily.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Mementos music is fine

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just experience the dialogue without the mementos https://joker-arewethereyet.tumblr.com

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

All music in persona 5 is good and owns and I usually only like really lovely metal.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

History Comes Inside! posted:

All music in persona 5 is good and owns and I usually only like really lovely metal.

Which of the 4 notes in the mementos song is your favorite

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
du du du du du
du du du du du
du du du du du
du du du du du

*snappy dialogue*

du du du du du
du du du du du

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

corn on the cop posted:

du du du du du
du du du du du
du du du du du
du du du du du

If persona 5 fes doesn't let you switch mementos tracks I'm not buying it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The cat is a bus, the music isn't the issue.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

The cat is a bus, the music isn't the issue.

A lot of people seem to hate the music though

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

First time to the series. Just wanted to ask if 1 day is enough to find the treasure and steal it. I am in the first palace and waited till the last day to go into it. How does time pass in the metaverse?

Also is it worth buying the ranged weapons? I just had enough to buy the melee weapons since melee weapons aren't gated in dps by rounds/bullets and using melee attacks helps with sp management.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ulio posted:

First time to the series. Just wanted to ask if 1 day is enough to find the treasure and steal it. I am in the first palace and waited till the last day to go into it. How does time pass in the metaverse?

Also is it worth buying the ranged weapons? I just had enough to buy the melee weapons since melee weapons aren't gated in dps by rounds/bullets and using melee attacks helps with sp management.

The first dungeon is probably going to give you a lot of trouble to do in a single day, but if you leave you'll get a bad ending and the game will send you back a week, just in case you need to do that.

Guns are pretty trash unless you empty the whole clip, which is wasteful, or you're hitting a weakness (a lot of flying enemies are weak to guns, for the record).

Also I'd advise against saving the Palaces for the end because some of them have to be done in multiple days.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

First time to the series. Just wanted to ask if 1 day is enough to find the treasure and steal it. I am in the first palace and waited till the last day to go into it.
time doesnt pass in the metaverse until you leave, but dungeons will often force you to leave midway through, and you have to leave for a day before the boss fight.

so uh, grats

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The 8 second looping clip in momentos is fine, for the first 100 loops or so. It just gets grating after that.

At least with Tartarus the various tiers add to the base music, and it sounds pretty good at the end.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Arist posted:

The first dungeon is probably going to give you a lot of trouble to do in a single day, but if you leave you'll get a bad ending and the game will send you back a week, just in case you need to do that.

Guns are pretty trash unless you empty the whole clip, which is wasteful, or you're hitting a weakness (a lot of flying enemies are weak to guns, for the record).

Also I'd advise against saving the Palaces for the end because some of them have to be done in multiple days.

OK ya I couldn't do it in a single day. Especially on hard I was all out of sp but I did manage to reach the final tower and opened the way to the front gate.

Endorph posted:

time doesnt pass in the metaverse until you leave, but dungeons will often force you to leave midway through, and you have to leave for a day before the boss fight.

so uh, grats

Ya I realized this lol. The game gives you a lot of time to do the dungeon but for some idiotic reason I thought all those days were training so thats what I did. I think the game should say you will need multiple days to do dungeons so newbies like me don't make mistake of thinking the 30 days is just for preparation.

I ended up going back to the save 7 days before the the deadline. I think it will be ample time since I already know 90% of the layout and enemy weaknesses. 2 days should be enough. Now that I realized u can get checkpoints in the dungeon and do them throughout many days this will make my life really easy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ulio posted:

OK ya I couldn't do it in a single day. Especially on hard I was all out of sp but I did manage to reach the final tower and opened the way to the front gate.

Ya I realized this lol. The game gives you a lot of time to do the dungeon but for some idiotic reason I thought all those days were training so thats what I did. I think the game should say you will need multiple days to do dungeons so newbies like me don't make mistake of thinking the 30 days is just for preparation.

I ended up going back to the save 7 days before the the deadline. I think it will be ample time since I already know 90% of the layout and enemy weaknesses. 2 days should be enough. Now that I realized u can get checkpoints in the dungeon and do them throughout many days this will make my life really easy.

Most people end up doing them all in the first day or two they are available just to maximize time for social links etc, the doctor once you get her up some ranks sells an item that gives SP back every turn making longer runs much easier to handle.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Well it definitely is close to impossible on hard in my opinion in 1 run. I am in the final tower but have very low sp on veryone except Ryuji.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's possible, it's just going to stretch you. It also really helps if you already know the weaknesses of the enemies in the tower beforehand so you're not fishing to see what their weaknesses are, to maximize your SP.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's possible, it's just going to stretch you. It also really helps if you already know the weaknesses of the enemies in the tower beforehand so you're not fishing to see what their weaknesses are, to maximize your SP.

Yes I can see how it is possible but I have done a horrible job of acquiring personas so there are some enemies that I don't have the weakness for and those were the high level enemies. The brutal horseman are weak to ice and on hard if you don't "All in" in the first turn there is a huge chance of getting wiped or just wasting too much resources.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Apsaras carry Bufu. It's kinda important to save Joker's SP for that (and Zio since Ryuji is pretty limited on SP) since he's the only way to hit Ice at that point.

Also there's some weak enemies (like Pixies) that you could just go ahead and melee to death.

I believe some enemies can be negotiated to give SP restoring items, but I can't remember which ones. Also remember that if you have the same Persona as the one you're negotiating with, negotiations are auto-successful so you can use that to guarantee the money/item rewards.

The Archangels in the last tower are the trickiest; Zio > AoA won't kill them, so you might have to settle for just negotiating your way out if conserving SP.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Ulio posted:

Well it definitely is close to impossible on hard in my opinion in 1 run. I am in the final tower but have very low sp on veryone except Ryuji.

The first dungeon is the hardest to 1 day because of your lack of options. The second dungeon has a mandatory break and from the third onward you should be able to afford SP regen trinkets from the doctor so they are trivial to 1 day.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ulio posted:

You should take it as a hint when the other characters are like "Hmmmm maybe we should go into the Metaverse today???"

Also what training were you doing before the first dungeon? Social links & social stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Selling that free DLC Soma you get and buying a bunch of SP/HP restoratives + the best available gear also helps immensely in tackling the first dungeon in one day.