Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I am gonna do it on normal for first playthrough but seriously normal is way too easy compared to hard but it is less tedious for first time so I'll go along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I've been playing through Persona 5 (on an emulator!) and I'm about 26 hours in. I find myself enjoying it, but I feel, comparatively to P4 (my primary point of reference for the franchise) that the game is overlong on narrative, much of it being redundant. I forget if this was true for the last one, but I find myself clawing at the walls in the days before a palace is discovered or for the nth time my party has to play catch-up with a new member. Does anyone else feel like this?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It just means that you prefer dungeon crawling to the day-of-life gameplay.

It's pretty bad for the fourth palace, but otherwise it's no worse than the other two games (and P3 was really bad in this regard). If the last game you played was P4G, that might have been better because they weaved in a lot of other things in between the big story beats. The fact that you have a big ticking counter on your screen might also draw more attention to the length of time between story things.

P5 is kind of bad at the in-between stuff, especially compared to P4.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like P5's story is comparatively doled out in small bursts just before and just after a Palace, leaving almost all of your actual social interaction during the main timed sections.

By contrast, P4 used shorter periods but generally let you interact more with the world in between those moments (and spread the story a little more evenly between them as well), and P3's pacing is just poop where nothing happens for extremely long stretches.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
P5's narrative is very padded, the phone chat sessions every day are especially guilty of this. Lots of repetition.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

ApplesandOranges posted:

It just means that you prefer dungeon crawling to the day-of-life gameplay.

I actually really like the "life-simulator" aspect on the series. The setting and characters are, for the most part, super charming. I really like the decision making and character building that goes into free days. What I don't like is wasting several days in a row on characters reminding/rehashing me of what we did yesterday, or just taking an unnecessarily long time to reach the next plot point.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
P5 really feels like a game where you weren't intended to be one-shotting the dungeons. Even besides the obvious points where you HAVE to leave to do some event, not bleeding out of SP requires brute-forcing some social links for access to ways to restore SP or getting money to buy some expensive accessories that unshackle early game SP problems. That said, it's not that hard to get there. My first playthrough was super-cas but I still managed to only have to quit one Palace the entire time due to resource reasons (The third, Kaneshiro's, if anyone's curious) after which I both managed to afford enough Invigorate 3 patches for 3/4ths of my team and unlocked Social Link perks to both make decent SP items and the ability to do so without wasting my personal time or money to do it.

And when you managed to clear a dungeon on the first or second day and suddenly have nothing to fill the next 20-odd days you're supposed to be sweating a deadline, some of the narrative falls apart. Thankfully, the Social Links for this game are generally way, way better then the ones from P3/P4, so I didn't mind spending my time with my buddies while the main plot took a (sometimes literal) nap.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Morgana's meow laugh is lowkey the best thing about P5.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mr. Locke posted:

And when you managed to clear a dungeon on the first or second day and suddenly have nothing to fill the next 20-odd days you're supposed to be sweating a deadline, some of the narrative falls apart. Thankfully, the Social Links for this game are generally way, way better then the ones from P3/P4, so I didn't mind spending my time with my buddies while the main plot took a (sometimes literal) nap.

This is really easy to happen during the last two palaces, I did both of them in less than 3 days and the game makes you wait until the very last minute for the calling card on one of those places. It really reveals how often your phone chats are just reiterating points.

Anyways I finally finished the game! I actually bought it during one of the summer sales so I haven't had it since release, just for half a year.

Is there a good guide for completing everything in ng+? I maxed out my social stats, played all games, and captured the guardian in ng so I should be in a good place to start for ng+. I need to max out fortune teller this time though,asap. I did get the massage, so that should really help give me time after palaces and mementos.

I think the biggest challenge I have to worry about is actually doing all requests, reading all books (I did not loving realize the library had books until too late!) and maxing out all confidents. Maxing out all confidents should ultimately help unlock all requests I assume. I need to build up my book collection (gotta go for speed reading first) so I can just read every time I get a train chance or study hall. And end game has plenty of time to read after I complete all the confidents anyway.

Am I missing anything to watch out for? Any advice from someone who went for all trophies?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a few requests you can only get by reading Mishima's texts on certain days.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The vending machine trophy is only completable around November, and if you haven't finished it in I think December you can't get access to some drinks.

Also don't forget that some books only unlock after you do the minigame/part-time job at least once.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Arist posted:

There's a few requests you can only get by reading Mishima's texts on certain days.

poo poo yeah I completely forgot about that. I gotta make sure I read every single one of his texts.

This is exactly the kind of thing I need to know.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

The vending machine trophy is only completable around November, and if you haven't finished it in I think December you can't get access to some drinks.

Also don't forget that some books only unlock after you do the minigame/part-time job at least once.

I mean you pretty much have to do every job about... Twice or so to get the associated request?

What really is going to help my second playthrough is I don't have to spend any time on social stat building. That's a lot of extra time.

Also we really have to start from level 1 again on a new playthrough and have to wait until we're at the right level for our personas? I haven't really gotten a few days into ng+ but I see it saved as level 1.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You can resummon Personas from the compendium and if you've completed Strength pretty sure you can fuse above your level once that unlocks.

e: I have not actually booted up my clear save though because I got... sidetracked, let's say.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 15, 2018

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Arist posted:

You can resummon Personas from the compendium and if you've completed Strength pretty sure you can fuse above your level once that unlocks.

poo poo that would have been a good confident to finish in my ng. I know I need to pay more attention to that one now.

But I assume the resummon means as long as I've unlocked it, I can summon a higher level persona. I think I remember doing that when I would fuse something that had an arcana boost and then fed it to another persona and resummoned it even though it was five levels over me. So I can still run around with a few level 70+ guys in the first palace. But my sp Stat will be pretty limited I guess.

Wait, do we even carry over equipment/money?

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 15, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ineffiable posted:

poo poo that would have been a good confident to finish in my ng.

Eh, it costs money, so you would still have been fairly limited.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Potentially controversial question: Does anyone find issues with the localization/translation in P5? Someone linked that Tumblr that records all the conversations in Mementos, and they brought up some translation oddities and goofs relating to that. Just today, I saw someone today making a comment about it as well.

I didn't find the translation to be that bad. There's some wonky lines here and there, and I noticed a typo or two, but I can't recall anything real major or that seemed horribly bad.

Dorkopotamis posted:

I've been playing through Persona 5 (on an emulator!) and I'm about 26 hours in. I find myself enjoying it, but I feel, comparatively to P4 (my primary point of reference for the franchise) that the game is overlong on narrative, much of it being redundant. I forget if this was true for the last one, but I find myself clawing at the walls in the days before a palace is discovered or for the nth time my party has to play catch-up with a new member. Does anyone else feel like this?

What kind of performance are you getting with emulation?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Max Wilco posted:

Potentially controversial question: Does anyone find issues with the localization/translation in P5?

I don't think this is too controversial. Some of the localization is utter trash (That guy is a scum). There was a lot of stuff online about it too, but in normal internet fashion I think a lot of it was overblown.

Overall I think it's pretty well done, but the mistakes they have are way below normal Altus quality.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It definitely needed another pass at the very least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the P5 translation is just straight-up unacceptable for a triple-A release that literally had marketed devoted to how good its localization was and every reviewer having to say how good the translation was as a fed PR line.

Even ignoring the obvious issues a lot of the time the characters just don't talk like... people. Like this isn't just one-off lines with typos/errors, the characters frequently have insanely stilted speech patterns and bizarre wording choices. The quality's super inconsistent too, the first like fourty minutes of the game are like 2006-era bootleg bleach subs and then the third dungeon is just fine, and then you get towards the end of the game and it starts getting weird again. I can get certain places having more effort than others, but you'd think the start and end of the game would be the places where the translation is at its best.

And before anyone replies, unacceptable doesn't mean unreadable.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Outside of the first dungeon ("we will promptly shut them up!" is such a bizzare and stilted line), I didn't have too many problems with the translation. Or rather, I'd have problems with P5 I'd consider more important than the translation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for some reason after killing harus' dad everyone keeps saying weird poo poo like 'It betrays our aesthetics' or 'We traded in our aesthetics' like the translator found that word in a dictionary and really liked it even though it barely makes sense in that context.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It definitely had its issues but for the most part they were never bad enough to really hurt the flow of the conversation.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

a lot of the problems are frontloaded but it's honestly not that bad (at least not enough to be worth getting extremely mad on the internet) but yeah I kinda want to know where "aesthetics" came from because that was just confusing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people keep saying 'getting extremely mad on the internet' as if anyone actually got extremely mad about it on the internet. someone made a glorified blogspot that cataloged some of the issues and for some reason people reacted like they'd called for the death of everyone at atlus.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
some people did call for their firing tho

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

for some reason after killing harus' dad everyone keeps saying weird poo poo like 'It betrays our aesthetics' or 'We traded in our aesthetics' like the translator found that word in a dictionary and really liked it even though it barely makes sense in that context.

apparently it's a really stiff and slightly inaccurate way of saying "style?" idk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

some people did call for their firing tho
I mean, I don't really blame the translators, since it's pretty obviously a mishandled mess that they did their best with, but whichever people were responsible for the management decisions that led to the persona 5 translation should probably be fired, or at least demoted. They won't be, since Persona 5 sold well, but they should be.

Oxxidation posted:

apparently it's a really stiff and slightly inaccurate way of saying "style?" idk
Teens on tumblr/twitter use it to mean like, 'things they relate to' or 'things they find appealing,' often in a slightly goofy way. Like a picture of a dog being really excited to eat a hotdog and just posting it with the word 'aesthetic' attached. It originates from aesthetic blogs, which was/is the term for tumblr blogs that mostly just post artsy scenery photography.

So maybe someone really, really out of touch was trying to be hip, since the characters are teens? I honestly don't know.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 15, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

I mean, I don't really blame the translators, since it's pretty obviously a mishandled mess that they did their best with, but whichever people were responsible for the management decisions that led to the persona 5 translation should probably be fired, or at least demoted. They won't be, since Persona 5 sold well, but they should be.

Teens on tumblr/twitter use it to mean like, 'things they relate to' or 'things they find appealing,' often in a slightly goofy way. Like a picture of a dog being really excited to eat a hotdog and just posting it with the word 'aesthetic' attached. It originates from aesthetic blogs, which was/is the term for tumblr blogs that mostly just post artsy scenery photography.

So maybe someone really, really out of touch was trying to be hip, since the characters are teens? I honestly don't know.

i mean more that "aesthetic" as used in the game itself was a find-and-replace for "code/style/morals" or something, i read it someplace and then forgot where

phrasal repetition is a horrendous problem in P5, which is also where all the complains about "it's rare to [x]" and "it can't be helped" came from. it's not that those phrases sound particularly unnatural, but every character uses them and they use them incessantly

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I'm guessing it didn't get another pass since people were already getting pretty miffed about the delays of the western release.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AG3 posted:

I'm guessing it didn't get another pass since people were already getting pretty miffed about the delays of the western release.

Scuttlebutt at release was that Atlus JPN's management got really antsy and started to micromanage the localization process in fits and starts, which would partly explain the translation's bizarre problems - its quality drops in random places, and like Endorph said it's not incompetent so much as exceptionally stilted, like a manga scanlator who's obsessive about keeping the translation "pure."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, as I play through I haven't noticed a ton of egregious errors or anything like that, but I've noticed plenty of weird oddities along the way.

I'm happy I did not get the game at launch. It's a fun game, but the pacing is annoying (This cat demands I sleep tonight. I must obey), and those tiny little translation mistakes would have driven me insane had I bought the game day one. All the delays for the game, and they still don't nail the translation? That's frustrating, even if it is a forgivable effort.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Outside some weird stilted dialog or the odd weird translation choice that makes up like less then .1% of the total text of the game the translation of P5 is good stuff. I admit to not really noticing the problem with the team’s self-introspection at the end of Okumura’s Palace but since everything else about that part of the game is the worst part of the game I probably overlooked it between how awful that dungeon was and the stupidity of the the whole cognitive psience conspiracy nonsense that started to really shift into to foreground at that point.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Color Printer posted:

a lot of the problems are frontloaded but it's honestly not that bad (at least not enough to be worth getting extremely mad on the internet) but yeah I kinda want to know where "aesthetics" came from because that was just confusing

I remember Igor says something to you early on about find others (I don't know if he means the other Phantom Thieves or the Confidants) who share the same aesthetic, and I didn't think anything of it. Later, though, Ryuji says, "I guess we weren't staying true to our aesthetic" and I got confused. I didn't know if there was a line of dialog that I missed where someone related that to him or what, because it doesn't sound like something he'd say.

Mr. Locke posted:

Outside some weird stilted dialog or the odd weird translation choice that makes up like less then .1% of the total text of the game the translation of P5 is good stuff. I admit to not really noticing the problem with the team’s self-introspection at the end of Okumura’s Palace but since everything else about that part of the game is the worst part of the game I probably overlooked it between how awful that dungeon was and the stupidity of the the whole cognitive psience conspiracy nonsense that started to really shift into to foreground at that point.

I guess it sort of irks me personally is that I noticed a few lines that were weird, but I didn't pay much mind to it. It makes me feel like I was being ignorant of other mistakes, or like my own English skills are lacking that I didn't recognize them.

I think what riled a lot of people is that someone on Twitter was talking about the game having translation goofs early on in the game (the line on the radio/TV about the bus going out control while filled with people) and treated it like it was a waste of $60 dollars.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Max Wilco posted:

What kind of performance are you getting with emulation?

After the last version of RPCS3, it runs pretty reliably at 30FPS on my generation old laptop i7. The vulkan optimizations make the emulator take advantage of higher end graphics cards, too. So, that's helped some. I get drops to around 15-20FPS in places where crowds are rendered (the train stations, the city... etc.) but thankfully you don't have to be there much at all. About 30 hours I've crashed 4-5 times.

So: it's super playable. Missing some QOL stuff from more developed emulators. No save states, no turbo mode (obviously) but it's still a pretty much fully functional experience. I recommend trying it, if you have the time to troubleshoot/optimize the settings for your computer. I guess it's still kind of an enthusiast thing at this point.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This is so goddamn stilted it could perform in a circus.

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/952024031649177600

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

I remember Igor says something to you early on about find others (I don't know if he means the other Phantom Thieves or the Confidants) who share the same aesthetic, and I didn't think anything of it. Later, though, Ryuji says, "I guess we weren't staying true to our aesthetic" and I got confused. I didn't know if there was a line of dialog that I missed where someone related that to him or what, because it doesn't sound like something he'd say.

I guess it sort of irks me personally is that I noticed a few lines that were weird, but I didn't pay much mind to it. It makes me feel like I was being ignorant of other mistakes, or like my own English skills are lacking that I didn't recognize them.

Doesn't ryuji use that aesthetic word in a final cutscene?

I wouldn't be surprised if the translation was done as certain translators got certain characters only. Nobody else uses aesthetic except ryuji.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the translation was done as certain translators got certain characters only. Nobody else uses aesthetic except ryuji.

It's literally in the final line of the game. Left a sour taste.

And it's not just limited to Ryuji. Igor drags it out a bunch, and I'm sure a lot of other characters do as well. Homogeneity of character voice is a big issue with P5's script and it's only due to the voice actors' efforts that it's not too noticeable for the most part.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

He does, and again, it struck me as odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ryuji is probably the kinda guy who saw the word on his toilet paper and decided to use it a bunch to try to make himself sound smarter.

I mean, points for actually using it in a correct context, even if nobody modern that's not into art would actually really use it.