Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Improbable Lobster posted:

Mondo is doing two posters for Timecrimes (A great film)

I always kinda felt like people gave Timecrimes way too much credit for being one of the few time travel movies that both didn't overtly suck and didn't half-rear end the time travel. I mean, just because it all fits together in the end without any overt plotholes doesn't really excuse the fact that it felt like the premise for a short film stretched out to full-length.

Kinda like how nerds love Primer for it's 'hard science' approach but outside of the complicated explanation that makes it all work nothing interesting happens and none of the characters have personalities.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Why would you ever watch Time Crimes when Timecop is a movie that exists?

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Timecrimes rule because it's hilarious.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

C'mon, I just specifically disqualifed time travel movies that overtly suck here.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Wolfsheim posted:

I always kinda felt like people gave Timecrimes way too much credit for being one of the few time travel movies that both didn't overtly suck and didn't half-rear end the time travel. I mean, just because it all fits together in the end without any overt plotholes doesn't really excuse the fact that it felt like the premise for a short film stretched out to full-length.

Kinda like how nerds love Primer for it's 'hard science' approach but outside of the complicated explanation that makes it all work nothing interesting happens and none of the characters have personalities.

I genuinely like Primer because it brought something new to the table. Time travel wasn't just "oh, we discovered it, now let's use it," but somewhat explained and given interesting limitations. Yes, the characters sucked, but I still feel like the film certainly gave more than it received.

However, I do give extra credit to shoestring budgets and first films. I haven't seen Upstream Color yet, so Carruth might've just been lucky?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

TheJoker138 posted:

This is the best time movie.

Fun fact: The first line of the film is literally "We're running out of time!"

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 28, 2013

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Kaizoku posted:

I genuinely like Primer because it brought something new to the table. Time travel wasn't just "oh, we discovered it, now let's use it," but somewhat explained and given interesting limitations. Yes, the characters sucked, but I still feel like the film certainly gave more than it received.

However, I do give extra credit to shoestring budgets and first films. I haven't seen Upstream Color yet, so Carruth might've just been lucky?

I really liked Primer too. Upstream Colour's characters are very good, I had no clue what was going on plot wise for 99% of the film (and even then it took me a while after to figure it out) but it didn't even matter - mostly since the characters are similarly confused throughout. It was a risky second film that potentially could have alienated his fan base by making a character driven, relationship film with a bizarre and utterly mystifying plot.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Lizard Combatant posted:

I really liked Primer too. Upstream Colour's characters are very good, I had no clue what was going on plot wise for 99% of the film (and even then it took me a while after to figure it out) but it didn't even matter - mostly since the characters are similarly confused throughout. It was a risky second film that potentially could have alienated his fan base by making a character driven, relationship film with a bizarre and utterly mystifying plot.

I am so confused by this because the plot of Upstream Colour is really, really simple and straightforward.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

So, I just got this email from Spoke Art and it had these two posters. I can't say that I'm a fan of either, even though Dr. Strangelove is one of my favorite movies.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Should be a traced vector of a rain drop and a bottle of grain alcohol. :colbert:

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

DarkSol posted:

So, I just got this email from Spoke Art and it had these two posters. I can't say that I'm a fan of either, even though Dr. Strangelove is one of my favorite movies.

It's bugging me a tiny bit that the S, G, and O are extending very slightly below the rest of the letters.

As for the rest, I think it actually makes Dr. Strangelove too central, which is an odd thing to say about a title-name character.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

wyoming posted:

Have you only seen the TV edit of Stripes? It's got tits and sex as well!

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDkVjsSSDbg

Major 'tude dude.

Is this the origin of the Dreamworks face :crossarms:

Wolfsheim posted:

I like Timecrimes a lot. I think Deja Vu doesn't get enough credit though. It's right up there with Timecrimes and Primer in terms of Time Travel logic. If you've never seen it, but like Time Travel movies I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The promos completely botched what the movie is (don't watch the trailer) if you have any interest in watching it in full): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li5u-SyyG-c - yes that is the Saw theme.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I don't mind this as a minimalist poster in concept, but holy poo poo they dropped the ball in pretty much every way on execution.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

It's bugging me a tiny bit that the S, G, and O are extending very slightly below the rest of the letters.

As for the rest, I think it actually makes Dr. Strangelove too central, which is an odd thing to say about a title-name character.

I agree. Strangelove is a movie of three strands and unless you can think of some symbol which incorporates all of them, you're going to be leaving out two thirds of the movie.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Well, considering that he's not the focus of the movie...

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

DarkSol posted:

Well, considering that he's not the focus of the movie...

Right. Which was my point. Dr. Strangelove is an odd movie in that respect. If I had thought otherwise, I wouldn't be saying he shouldn't be central in the poster.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Geekboy posted:

I am so confused by this because the plot of Upstream Colour is really, really simple and straightforward.

It is after you know what it is, but try saying it out loud and you'll realize it's pretty bizarre.

I feel like upstream color is a movie literacy test. The idea behind it is incredibly crazy, it's NEVER spelled out by any character, barely anything is said out loud about the thing that drives the plot... but it's all there. You can walk away from the movie getting it completely if you pay attention and think things through.
I ALMOST got it, but there were a quite a few things I did not figure out. Reading the wikipedia article afterwards, I found the things I missed were my own fault. They were completely clear in hindsight. I feel like I did not do well on this nonverbal storytelling comprehension test.

I liked upstream color. I did not like Primer.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Yonic Symbolism posted:

It is after you know what it is, but try saying it out loud and you'll realize it's pretty bizarre.

Not really, though. Not any more bizarre than most of the things that populate the screens in the average summer movie season. The who, what, where and how are all pretty straight-forward from the beginning, it's the why that's never really spelt out.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I love time travel movies but honestly I always give slack when it comes to why they are time traveling. I think too many people obsess over whether or not this fantasy movie is being realistic enough on its concept of something fantasy (I don't give a gently caress about your knowledge or wormholes or whatever the gently caress, it's a fantasy right now). To me it's like complaining about Merlin casts a spell in a King Arthur film. It's the worst thing to focus on.

The reason I liked Primer was because it felt like a small town crime movie. A bunch of small time guys who are too smart for their own good decide to try something because they think they can do it and afterwards, they have to handle the consequences. Replace time travel with robbing a bank and it's pretty much the same thing, only there's no time cops to chase them.

Also I love that first Dr. Strangelove poster. His forehead lines go with the background. For some reason I like that choice.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think that first Dr. Strangelove poster is pretty cool, even if it makes him out to be a much more prevalent character than he actually is in the movie.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It looks ripped off from the 40th Anniversary Special Edition DVD cover, only with a different picture of the titular character and the background swapped out.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Geekboy posted:

Well aren't you smart, give yourself a cigar. I didn't say I didn't get the film. I understood what was happening, just not why until the very end. I don't know, comparatively Primer was much easier to understand - probably since it was based on convoluted but spelled out logic - so I appreciated the different direction Upstream took.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

It looks ripped off from the 40th Anniversary Special Edition DVD cover, only with a different picture of the titular character and the background swapped out.

To be honest, I think that's an original drawing of Sellers as Strangelove, despite it ripping on the same layout as the DVD cover. I don't actually remember that pose and shot in the film. You can prove me wrong, but that puts it above most of the Mondo stuff.

I like how the red swirl pattern background is incorporated into his thumbs, giving him some depth in the piece.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

CaptainHollywood posted:

Is this the origin of the Dreamworks face :crossarms:

I like Timecrimes a lot. I think Deja Vu doesn't get enough credit though. It's right up there with Timecrimes and Primer in terms of Time Travel logic. If you've never seen it, but like Time Travel movies I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The promos completely botched what the movie is (don't watch the trailer) if you have any interest in watching it in full): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li5u-SyyG-c - yes that is the Saw theme.

Deja Vu was actually explicitly what I was thinking about when I mentioned movies that half-rear end the time travel. It's been years since I've seen it, but I remember thinking that it straddled the line between closed-loop and alternate-timeline depending on the writer's mood. The only way to actually make it make sense is if multiple versions of himself had already gone through trying nearly exactly the same thing but continuously failing after a certain point, which is an idea that is never explored, mentioned, or even hinted at in the actual film, and I'm not about to add some expanded universe bullshit to fill in the plotholes of some paycheck Denzel movie.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

DarkSol posted:

Before I saw Dr Strangelove as a teenager I assumed that the titular character was a central Bond-style villain who was trying to start a nuclear war. Given the structure of this poster I wonder how many first-timers attending that screening will assume the same thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Deja Vu was actually explicitly what I was thinking about when I mentioned movies that half-rear end the time travel. It's been years since I've seen it, but I remember thinking that it straddled the line between closed-loop and alternate-timeline depending on the writer's mood. The only way to actually make it make sense is if multiple versions of himself had already gone through trying nearly exactly the same thing but continuously failing after a certain point, which is an idea that is never explored, mentioned, or even hinted at in the actual film, and I'm not about to add some expanded universe bullshit to fill in the plotholes of some paycheck Denzel movie.

Yeah, its kind of a weird movie because its pretty explicit that he went back in time before and died (because his dead body was one of the unidentified ones from the ferry explosion) but somehow he goes back this time that we see and he succeeds.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, its kind of a weird movie because its pretty explicit that he went back in time before and died (because his dead body was one of the unidentified ones from the ferry explosion) but somehow he goes back this time that we see and he succeeds.

Right, but it doesn't seem like the film was thinking that. They just thought it'd be cool to have scenes like the bit where he comes upon the house with a truck crashed into it so later when he drives the same truck into the same house dumb audience members could go "Ohhh, so that's how that happened!"

But really that couldn't have been exactly how it happened, because there still existed a previous timeline where the bomb killed everyone and where the bomb didn't, and you essentially have to instead rationalize that he went back at least once or twice before and did everything exactly the same way except defuse the bomb or whatever and goddammit this is why I hate lazy time travel movies

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 28, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Great, now I see it too and can't unsee it :(

I agree, though. I haven't watched Dr. Strangelove in a couple of years (I really should!) but I don't remember the character being that central a figure. I guess it's in part because the only thing the Internet at large knows about the movie is the "Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!" scene.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Wolfsheim posted:

Right, but it doesn't seem like the film was thinking that. They just thought it'd be cool to have scenes like the bit where he comes upon the house with a truck crashed into it so later when he drives the same truck into the same house dumb audience members could go "Ohhh, so that's how that happened!"

But really that couldn't have been exactly how it happened, because there still existed a previous timeline where the bomb killed everyone and where the bomb didn't, and you essentially have to instead rationalize that he went back at least once or twice before and did everything exactly the same way except defuse the bomb or whatever and goddammit this is why I hate lazy time travel movies

I thought I remember something like in the present (the first time that the audience experiences it at least), he sees the girl dead and then later sees a building burnt. Then, he goes back in time and rescues the girl and burns the building down in the process. Which then made me wonder why in the first present, was the building burnt but the girl wasn't saved, shouldn't it have been both, or neither?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think Primer is much more about tone and feel than the actual time travel itself, like, I'm sure if you look at those diagrams and read up on it you can get a pretty clear understanding of what happened. But that's much less important then the feeling that the movie presents as everything spirals out of control, getting hastier, more confusing, and the time travel making everything such a mess. It's sort of like the end of Goodfellas, in a way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think Primer is much more about tone and feel than the actual time travel itself, like, I'm sure if you look at those diagrams and read up on it you can get a pretty clear understanding of what happened. But that's much less important then the feeling that the movie presents as everything spirals out of control, getting hastier, more confusing, and the time travel making everything such a mess. It's sort of like the end of Goodfellas, in a way.

Shane Carruth has said that when filming Primer he didn't map out any of the alternate timeline stuff. He was more interested in telling the story than making sure it all fit together with no contradiction.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Kaizoku posted:

Upstream Colour is sort of similar to Primer in that nothing really happens at all, but to an even greater degree. Even if you understand everything going on in the movie, 70% of its runtime is still utter nothing. I really wanted to like it, too. The characters do have personalities, though!

They're sad.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 28, 2013

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Wolfsheim posted:

That's exactly what happened. At one point early on he thinks he hears his phone ringing, but it's coming from one of the body bags (same ringtone). That's future him in the bodybag.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

27: Halloween's coming, try not to rent these knockoffs by accident

makes a perfect double feature with...

This Exorcist 3 was made in Italy in 1975, a full 15 years before the 'authentic' Exorcist III

Friday the 13th The Orphan (nope it's not a double feature)

an alternate poster with bonus sleepy Satan!

I get that Saturday the 14th is a comedy, but why is Dracula green and with a perfectly flat head?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

ShufflerZero posted:

I get that Saturday the 14th is a comedy, but why is Dracula green and with a perfectly flat head?

The Cinema Snob review this one a few weeks back and it's every bit as awful as that poster suggests. Shockingly it has Jeffery Tambor (George Bluth of Arrested Development fame) as Dracula! :aaa:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DarkSol posted:

I like the bomb on the tie.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Ghostpilot posted:

The Cinema Snob review this one a few weeks back and it's every bit as awful as that poster suggests. Shockingly it has Jeffery Tambor (George Bluth of Arrested Development fame) as Dracula! :aaa:

When my family first got a VCR in the late 80s, this was the first movie I ever rented. The tape was damaged, so I didn't get to see it. I was only recently able to see it, and while it's not great, it's definitely not even the worst horror comedy of the era.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When my family first got a VCR in the late 80s, this was the first movie I ever rented. The tape was damaged, so I didn't get to see it. I was only recently able to see it, and while it's not great, it's definitely not even the worst horror comedy of the era.

I remember it being awesome, but I was a child and don't want to ruin the nostalgia.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Ghostpilot posted:

It ain't good by any means, but it has a few fun gags and some tremendously dorky/awesome creature costumes. Example:

I may enjoy it based on the fact that I rented it from my local mom and pop VHS store around 4 dozen times from the ages of 7 to 15 and I will not repent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

effectual posted:

I like the bomb on the tie.

It's a bomb rear end tie.