Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hedgehog Pie posted:

This makes me beg the question, what was Stevie Ray worse at: commentating or wrestling? Take your time over this one.

lookit dis yak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

This makes me beg the question, what was Stevie Ray worse at: commentating or wrestling? Take your time over this one.

Two words: Fruit Booty

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm gonna say his promos as a wrestler were worse than his commentary. Then again, they didn't go on as long.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Commenting because while we do know he's at least better (but not by much) than Ahmed Johnson at wrestling I don't think I'd ever pick Stevie over a potential commentary team that features Ahmed

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

shiksa posted:

jesus christ lol

that reminds me of a short film i acted in in college. the scene i was doing called for me to pour a glass of whiskey and drink it in three very big sips. since we were in college and loving stupid, we used some ~70 proof honey whiskey and i did all three sips within like 5 minutes, then shot my lines, got through them before i started slurring too much, then fell asleep on their couch.

we could've just used apple juice and no one in the world would be able to tell

idk i feel like this makes more sense. it's hard as gently caress to convincingly act drunk without being drunk, so if you have a character who needs to be inebriated, getting the actor inebriated isn't the worst shortcut.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Someone post TONY.mp3

LOOKIT DAT YAK TONY

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The only zipline/harness sting moment I remember being just :stare: as gently caress was when he came down from the goddamn new orleans superdome rafters to end a show in... i think 1998. That roof is something like 280 feet above the field.

E: i think it was the go-home show for that year's Souled Out, which didn't even feature Sting.

E2: it was! And lmao going from a superdome nitro show to a PPV in Dayton in the old Hara arena that seated like 5300

:rip: in power Dayton Bombers

E3: Huh, Hara actually hosted a bunch of PPVs, how about that

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 18, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The time he came down from a helicopter was pretty :stare:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think it was AJPW or NJPW that had Tiger Mask jump off the dome into some crash pads. Like 15 seconds of free fall. It was nuts.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Finished the Nitro book. It's a good alternative/companion piece to Death of WCW. Death of WCW's more about taking breaks from the story to point out how stupid things were because it was co-written by the Wrestlecrap guy. Nitro keeps more with the big picture, like barely even mentioning Ultimate Warrior because he really didn't matter outside of being memorable for the wrong reasons. Also, while Death of WCW is about the entirety of WCW's span, this one just focuses on Nitro and the Monday Night War, not even going into the Alliance storyline outside of one or two paragraphs. There's also way more emphasis on the whole attempt to sell WCW, including a subplot about Lenita Erickson being a player in that whole situation who, in the narrative of the book, may have cost Bischoff the ability to buy the company.

I do find it funny in retrospect how the two parties who felt they could have saved WCW -- Jerry Jarrett and Eric Bischoff -- both showed us what they were made of with TNA after the fact.

The book sort of treats Bischoff like the flawed protagonist of WCW's story, which I guess is fair. The author interviewed him for two days, so there's a lot of him trying to defend himself over every little thing. Probably the strangest part of the book is when Bischoff gets sent home for the first time because suddenly it becomes pages and pages of various people eulogizing him like it's the end of Hamilton. They do the same thing with Russo after he leaves for good. Anyway, Bischoff is basically depicted as both a toxic choice to lead WCW, but unfortunately the best option they had.

Russo, like various other players, is given a biographical introduction when he shows up and the author does a good job making him extremely sympathetic when he leaves WWF (Vince McMahon kicking him out the door, then acting all betrayed is the most evergreen poo poo), only to portray him as being such a piece of poo poo. Even Death of WCW empathized with him for having to quit due to concussions while in this book Russo's all, "That was bullshit! I knew the ship was sinking! Haha, gently caress everyone else!"

Outside of the Fingerpoke of Doom situation, Hogan almost comes off as wise by default. They play up his creative control, but they mainly focus on it when he makes actually right decisions, like telling Russo his ideas are bad.

According to the book, Ted Turner is the coolest dude ever.

Weirdly, Kevin Sullivan comes across as this straight man amidst all the crazy going on and is treated as sane, smart and competent while never really going into why everyone loving hated him (Benoit excluded).

The best thing about the book is the chapter on Master P. While there's a lot to make fun of there, it instead tells the story from the perspective of Swoll, who helped put the deal together. You get this strangely poignant side-story about a lovely wrestler who Kevin Nash'd his way into a sweet contract, lost his friendship with Master P due to ego and escaped wrestling ASAP with all that money because he saw what the industry does to people.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
For some reason WCW usually did PPVs in mid-sized arenas while doing Nitros in the huge ones.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gavok posted:

According to the book, Ted Turner is the coolest dude ever.

Weirdly, Kevin Sullivan comes across as this straight man amidst all the crazy going on and is treated as sane, smart and competent while never really going into why everyone loving hated him (Benoit excluded).

As much as the Benoit and the others hated him, a lot of other people then and now like him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
My impression of Sullivan's booking (post-Dungeon of Doom) was that he was playing ball and doing what would please guys like Hogan and Nash, which of course required holding down the vanilla midgets. Even when he put himself at the center of things, his retirement match had him putting over Benoit in good matches, so he never struck me as an egomaniac.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

idk i feel like this makes more sense. it's hard as gently caress to convincingly act drunk without being drunk, so if you have a character who needs to be inebriated, getting the actor inebriated isn't the worst shortcut.

I've basically heard that the secret to acting drunk is "Try to act sober."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sullivan is a good booker. But he’s also a crazy person. Maybe these are related.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used to have an old rear end tape of some of Sullivan's Florida run, and it loving owned

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Stevie Ray was somewhere between "bad" and "not very good" at pretty much every aspect of the business but he was at least memorable and brought small pockets of joy to all of the suckas and yaks as a commentator, which is more than I can say for his in-ring career.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Halloween Jack posted:

My impression of Sullivan's booking (post-Dungeon of Doom) was that he was playing ball and doing what would please guys like Hogan and Nash, which of course required holding down the vanilla midgets. Even when he put himself at the center of things, his retirement match had him putting over Benoit in good matches, so he never struck me as an egomaniac.

That makes sense. The stranger part is when they discuss the Bret Hart/Goldberg armor segment. During it, Bret passes Sullivan backstage having a seizure and receiving medical attention and it makes sure to mention that Bret straight-up did not respect the guy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gavok posted:

Bischoff is always trying to whitewash his role. Everyone interviewed in the book tries to act like they're in the right. It just becomes a big pile of he said/they said and you get an idea not to take Bischoff on his word every time.

"Eric gave everyone so much money."
"Bischoff was always overspending."
"Bischoff was handing out money left and right."
"If you wanted more money, he'd gladly give it to you."
"WHAT? NO! I did no such thing!"
Of all the things people poo poo on Bischoff for doing, paying his employees well sure is the weirdest.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Ted turner seems pretty cool. He’s basically what a non evil person would do if they wanted to spend a billion dollars on tv.

He likes wrestling and old movies. So he bought wrestling and old movies and put them on tv.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The American Dream posted:

He likes wrestling and old movies. So he bought wrestling and old movies and put them on tv.
The El Ray network is just Things Robert Rodriguez Used to Watch on Weekend Afternoons: The Station.

I'd absolutely do the same poo poo.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

The American Dream posted:

Ted turner seems pretty cool. He’s basically what a non evil person would do if they wanted to spend a billion dollars on tv.

plus he brought the american bison back from the brink of extinction in part by reminding folks of how delicious they are

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Turner came off really poorly in the book Split Season: 1981, about the year baseball had a strike that interrupted the season.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Barry Bluejeans posted:

plus he brought the american bison back from the brink of extinction in part by reminding folks of how delicious they are
I've been told bison are better for the environment than cows.

That's important, if true, but they're also loving delicious.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Punch McLightning posted:

Turner came off really poorly in the book Split Season: 1981, about the year baseball had a strike that interrupted the season.

Turner also comes off as a buffoon in We Could've Finished Last Without You, written by the Braves' former public relations leader in 1990. Turner wanted the Atlanta Hawks in Charlotte in the late 1970s, so he decided to tank the team. It backfired when the team of misfits - which included a former delivery driver - gelled to mediocrity. He had a poor reputation for how he handled the Braves until they got good off the farm system in 1991. Then he opened the pocketbooks and became Our Ted.

Turner made a bunch of fantastic decisions - the SuperStation, CNN, environmentalism, TCM - but before the mid-1990s had an equal reputation as a whackadoo who could be very bad at managing people. He was way too hands on with the Braves right after he purchased them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ChrisBTY posted:

I don't doubt that but my real question was...
Did Meng no-sell getting maced for real?

There were stories of him getting into a fight with cops that ended with him getting maced and no selling it.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
there's a dude on Craigslist here claiming that he has stage lights from the last episode of Nitro, AND the ring apron for that night, selling it all for 90 bucks. I'm so obscenely curious if they're full of poo poo or not

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Turner also comes off as a buffoon in We Could've Finished Last Without You, written by the Braves' former public relations leader in 1990. Turner wanted the Atlanta Hawks in Charlotte in the late 1970s, so he decided to tank the team. It backfired when the team of misfits - which included a former delivery driver - gelled to mediocrity.

Isn't this what the movie Major League is based on?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Isn't this what the movie Major League is based on?

Yes. That is the exact plot of Major League.
Ted Turner is the real-life version of the villain in Major League.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Randaconda posted:

I used to have an old rear end tape of some of Sullivan's Florida run, and it loving owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCzzKfM7aNU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
That's what I'm talking about. Sullivan shamelessly put himself on a team with legit college athletes, but he didn't drag them down by doing so.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

That's what I'm talking about. Sullivan shamelessly put himself on a team with legit college athletes, but he didn't drag them down by doing so.

Sullivan wasn't the crispest technical worker, but his in ring stuff was usually fine, and his psychology and interviews were pretty drat good for the time period.

In ring work is barely top 5 when it comes to drawing money, anyway.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ChrisBTY posted:

Yes. That is the exact plot of Major League.
Ted Turner is the real-life version of the villain in Major League.

Is it worse to be the guy that Major League was based on, or someone who saw Major League and was like "that's a great plan!" Like the owner of the Thunder?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

We were talking spears earlier:

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/910445394940846081?s=20

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Randaconda posted:

Sullivan wasn't the crispest technical worker, but his in ring stuff was usually fine, and his psychology and interviews were pretty drat good for the time period.
I don't think much of his work at all, but in his later career he at least played to his strengths and put other people over.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This is the best work Knobbs has ever done.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Referee’s reaction is incredible

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
From what I can tell from reading books about sports. I think up until the last few years team owners just treated the teams as another part of their business portfolio. Like, you had to be rich to buy a team, but not a billionaire like it is today. I think a lot of the owners now are just so loving rich they need to do something with their money and figure they can pal around with athletes and be on tv wearing blue jeans like a regular person.

With turner owning the braves was like owning wcw and his movie library. He needed programming for his tv stations, so why not buy it all at once instead of paying someone else for the rights to it every year.

I looks like he paid the equivalent of $44-$53 million for the braves in 1976. Someone just bought the Kansas City royals for 20 times that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Referee’s reaction is incredible

I'm fairly certain that's Mickey Jay and he was fabulous at reacting to huge moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
In one of his later publications, Hunter S. Thompson wrote an essay about how owning sports teams is now a status symbol, like owning a superyacht, a way to show off wealth and power to business partners.